OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 17091 Old 01-11-2008, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyUSP40 View Post

Ok, thanks again Donnie. Is the (to be released) Panny BD50 a player that will do what I need?

Yup....that's the one you want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 17091 Old 01-11-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Eldridge View Post

Yup....that's the one you want.

I'll hurry up and wait then......

"Some people are like Slinkies--not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."
post #183 of 17091 Old 01-11-2008, 03:31 PM

OK - I've seen lots of recommendations for the Panasonoc BD-30 in this thread, but my main reason for going with a stand-alone over the PS3 would be for full audio quality through the 6 channel analogs of the stand alone. The BD-30 doesn't have these (i think). Will the new Panny BD-50 have 6 ch analog outs?

I've heard some negative comments on the Samsung player which did impress me in store with it's speed. And how about the Sharp Aquos BD player?
post #184 of 17091 Old 01-11-2008, 03:40 PM

Hey,
So I'm looking into purchasing a BD player but want it to have an ethernet port. My only issue is I loath Sony, so no PS3. Is there another BD player with an ethernet port with good PQ and SQ. I'm not on a budget so just throw them out there.

At this point I don't care who wins, just give me my HD already! - DJO
post #185 of 17091 Old 01-11-2008, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kano View Post

OK - I've seen lots of recommendations for the Panasonoc BD-30 in this thread, but my main reason for going with a stand-alone over the PS3 would be for full audio quality through the 6 channel analogs of the stand alone. The BD-30 doesn't have these (i think). Will the new Panny BD-50 have 6 ch analog outs?

I've heard some negative comments on the Samsung player which did impress me in store with it's speed. And how about the Sharp Aquos BD player?

The BD30 has 6-channel analog out. However, it will not decode TrueHD or DTS-MA throught the analog outs. The only lossless audio you can get from the analog outs is when the BD has a lossless pcm track (and many do).
post #186 of 17091 Old 01-11-2008, 06:03 PM

Im about to purchase a blu ray guys, Im not sure what to get? I will be hooking it up to energy connonesiur series system, yamaha amplifer and using component cable hookups.

W3000 40"
post #187 of 17091 Old 01-11-2008, 06:06 PM

Any one have any idea what month the new Panny BD-50 will be released?
post #188 of 17091 Old 01-11-2008, 06:07 PM

Good old Future Shop.
" Discrete Analog Outputs No"

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...85&catid=25323
post #189 of 17091 Old 01-11-2008, 06:12 PM

Integrated Digital Audio Decoder Yes
Supported Digital Audio Formats DD/DD Plus/DD TrueHD/DTS/DTSHD/DTS MA

I'm confused, or they're confused
post #190 of 17091 Old 01-11-2008, 08:05 PM

I'm also new to the world of Blu-Ray...are there any stand-alone BD players with the Reon chip? I've been planning on purchasing the Sammy 5000 dual format, but now that HDDVD seems to be the loser, is it worth the extra cost to get the Reon?
post #191 of 17091 Old 01-12-2008, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Good old Future Shop.
" Discrete Analog Outputs No"

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...85&catid=25323

They are WRONG! I own the player and it has 6 channel analog out!!!! This is not the first time this misinformation has been addressed on AVS.
post #192 of 17091 Old 01-12-2008, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Integrated Digital Audio Decoder Yes
Supported Digital Audio Formats DD/DD Plus/DD TrueHD/DTS/DTSHD/DTS MA

I'm confused, or they're confused

I'll try to explain. The BD30 will decode basic DD and DTS 5.1. The other more advanced audio formats (like DD+, TrueHD, DTS-MA) are not decoded by the player but can be sent via bitstream through HDMI to a receiver that is capable of providing the decoding. If you have such a receiver (HDMI 1.3 with the advanced audio decoding) then you will be able to get all the advanced audio from this player. Hope that helps. One last thing, as mentioned before, you can get lossless pcm audio from the 5.1 analog outputs of this player. Many BD's have a lossless pcm track. The sound of lossless pcm is equivalent to True HD and DTS-MA. So even if you don't have an AVR that will decode the advanced audio formats, you can use the 5.1 analog outputs to get excellent audio when the BD has a lossless pcm audio track.
post #193 of 17091 Old 01-12-2008, 07:15 AM

Does anyone know of a site that displays a chart of available features for the current BD players on the market? It would help me in my decision making.

I am leaning toward the Samsung 1400 because I am not a and audiophile...but I would like to compare before taking the plunge.

Thanks!
post #194 of 17091 Old 01-12-2008, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledname View Post

Does anyone know of a site that displays a chart of available features for the current BD players on the market? It would help me in my decision making.

I am leaning toward the Samsung 1400 because I am not a and audiophile...but I would like to compare before taking the plunge.

Thanks!

Here you go...
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=16293
post #195 of 17091 Old 01-12-2008, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledname View Post

Thanks!

What do you mean "leaning toward the Samsung 1400 because I am not an audiophile"?

The 1400 is one of the FEW players that will decode AND bitstream all the advanced audio codecs. It is actually a player FOR audiophiles. Mine sounds incredible!!
post #196 of 17091 Old 01-12-2008, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I've been holding off my purchase of both HD-DVD and BD players until I upgraded my projector. I'm about to put in an order for either an Epson 1080p or a Mitsu 4900 today, and now that I've basically decided to just go with a BD player I've been amazingly frustrated. At first I thought I was just being too over-analytical in thinking that every BD player I looked at had some quirk or technical issue, but now that I've read that article where the BDA basically said the only player worth a damn is the PS3, I'm really frustrated.

I don't care about extras on the disc, web features, or any of that other frilly stuff. I just want to watch my movies in awesome clarity and hear the tracks in the new higher rez formats. I was going to buy the Panny BD30, but am now leaning toward the Samsung 1400...but my expectations for each are quite low. Seems like most people are telling me to just wait it out for another 6-12 months, but I'm not going to buy a new 1080p pj and leave it w/out any high def sources. So I'm going to just take my chances, and if the Sammy makes it past the first firmware update, I'll keep it. If not, back to the store it'll go.
post #197 of 17091 Old 01-12-2008, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackkat98 View Post

The 1400 is one of the FEW players that will decode AND bitstream all the advanced audio codecs. It is actually a player FOR audiophiles. Mine sounds incredible!!

That's what I hope to be saying in a week or two...and that's exactly why I'm choosing this player.
post #198 of 17091 Old 01-12-2008, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackkat98 View Post

What do you mean "leaning toward the Samsung 1400 because I am not an audiophile"?

The 1400 DOES NOT decode DTS-MA.
post #199 of 17091 Old 01-12-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisjan View Post

The 1400 DOES NOT decode DTS-MA.

My bad...that's the only thing it doesn't internally decode. It will bitstream it; however, and that's how I have mine set up.
post #200 of 17091 Old 01-12-2008, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Man this thread is confusing!!! That was one nice thing about HD DVD is you only had three choices!!! OK so I am in between the BD-10AK and the BD-30 (or whatever). I do not have a 1.3 compliant receiver but will both of these players internally decode Dolby True HD, DTS HD master audio, and send through multi channel PCM??? One or the other??? Also curious about the Sharp.
post #201 of 17091 Old 01-12-2008, 09:56 AM

Liked: 13
Looks like the upcoming BD50 has all of the advantages of the BD10 and the BD30. I am returning a HD DVD player next week before my 30 day return window expires. I am planning to wait for the 50, as of now.

After getting a taste of DVD's in high def, I hope the wait for the BD50 isn't too long and the price isn't a show stopper. With so few new models coming out, the manufacturers may be in the drivers seat as far as pricing for a little while.

We need Toshiba and a few others to get on the BR bandwagon, so competition drives the prices down.
post #202 of 17091 Old 01-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstand View Post

Looks like the upcoming BD50 has all of the advantages of the BD10 and the BD30. I am returning a HD DVD player next week before my 30 day return window expires. I am planning to wait for the 50, as of now.

After getting a taste of DVD's in high def, I hope the wait for the BD50 isn't too long and the price isn't a show stopper. With so few new models coming out, the manufacturers may be in the drivers seat as far as pricing for a little while.

We need Toshiba and a few others to get on the BR bandwagon, so competition drives the prices down.

That model will easily be over $500 I am sure.
post #203 of 17091 Old 01-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggle View Post

Man this thread is confusing!!! That was one nice thing about HD DVD is you only had three choices!!! OK so I am in between the BD-10AK and the BD-30 (or whatever). I do not have a 1.3 compliant receiver but will both of these players internally decode Dolby True HD, DTS HD master audio, and send through multi channel PCM??? One or the other??? Also curious about the Sharp.

Sheesh, man. Pay a visit to the BD30 thread. To help you understand the audio capabilities of the BD30, here is a tutorial from Roger who is a Dolby insider and knowledgeable contributor:

A little review of the BD-30 player's audio might help to clarify some of these questions:

It has the ability to decode movie soundtracks with:
1) PCM
2) Dolby Digital
3) DTS

It has the ability to stream these audio formats to HDMI:
1) PCM
2) Dolby Digital
3) DTS
4) DD+
5) TrueHD
6) DTS-HDHR
7) DTS-HDMA

And is has the ability to stream these from the "digital output" aka S/PDIF:
1) PCM (2-ch)
2) Dolby Digital
3) DTS

When the player is streaming DD+ or TrueHD, there is a parallel DD element that is being decoded in the player. Both elements are carried in the same audio soundtrack, but in paired audio packets. (DD+ comprises a DD packet and a DD+ packet. TrueHD comprises a DD packet and a TrueHD packet.)
When you select TrueHD, the player has access to both packets.

When the player is streaming DTS-HDHR or HDMA, there is a parallel (core, if you like) DTS element that is being decoded in the player. Both elements are carried in the same audio soundtrack, but in paired audio packets.
(DTS-HDHR comprises a DTS packet and an HDHR packet. HDMA comprises a DTS packet and an HDMA packet.)
When you select DTS-HDxx, the player has access to both packets.

When PIP function is operating, the player must decode audio in order to mix in new sound elements. So only the three decodable audio options can be used, PCM, DD, and DTS. The mixed audio will be output as PCM via HDMI, or analog via DACs.

The term "downmix" is being used correctly within the intended context of the manual--meaning that if the player is outputting fewer channels than in the original soundtrack, you are hearing a downmix. However, sometimes the player makes the downmix internally, such as for PCM tracks, or when DD 5.1 is output as stereo. Other times, the player extracts a downmixed component from the bitstream, such as the 5.1 substream from a 7.1 TrueHD soundtrack.
post #204 of 17091 Old 01-12-2008, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Longtime Red Die Hard Buying Blu Today with your Help!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have decided that I am sick of the whole thing. I am going to keep an HD player on hand for Bourne and the slew of other HD movies I can't find anywhere else. Bbut I need my Hi Def. So I am going to go Blu. I have been eying the BD player deals thread for weeks now and I am pretty much done waiting. None of the deals really applies to me anyways (no Frys within 1000mi, my BB and CC won't price match ANYTHING).

I have a Panny 900 FP with a 106" HiPower screen. I have a Pioneer 1014 (no HDMI) receiver with 7.2 set up. I expect to get a Onkyo 605 sometime soon, but don't see an immediate need right now.

My choices:

PS3: Buy.com with $15 coupon no tax, no S&H: $380
Panny 30: BB $499 - 12% is $439 with triple points is a $25 reward zone (is this really worth more than a PS3).
Sony 300: Best Buy with 12% off is $352 with triple points (free $20 reward zone coupon) and $5 existing reward zone with 5 free movies (and there are 5 I would happily pay $16 each for). Or no rewards, no movies at CC for $260 (assuming I can pass the $40 coupon off)
Sony BDPS1: Same price at Best Buy as the 300. I imagine the 300 is better as it is newer but I cannot get a comparison. I know this model has a higher MSRP and I like the look a lot more.
Samsung 1200: CC open box for $239-40 coupon (again, assuming I can pass the coupon off) Older model but $200 with 5 free is something I can be happy about.

Looking for insight into how the older models compare with the 300 and to see if people think the Panny is worth the extra $100.

Thanks for the help. Will be a smurf by the end of the day today with your help!
post #205 of 17091 Old 01-12-2008, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I scanned part of this thread, but if anybody can help me out by listing the players that decode TrueHD in the player and pass it as PCM via HDMI, I'd really appreciate it. And I guess it's still the case that the only way to get the lossless part of DTS-MA is via bitstream?
post #206 of 17091 Old 01-12-2008, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capek View Post

I scanned part of this thread, but if anybody can help me out by listing the players that decode TrueHD in the player and pass it as PCM via HDMI, I'd really appreciate it. And I guess it's still the case that the only way to get the lossless part of DTS-MA is via bitstream?

You must not be looking very hard. Go up to post 192 and click the link.
post #207 of 17091 Old 01-12-2008, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggle View Post

The BD30 and BD10 will not meet your decoding requirements.
post #208 of 17091 Old 01-12-2008, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capek View Post

Here you go:

Sony BDP-S1
Sony PS3
Panny DMP-BD10
Pioneer Elite HD1
Sharp BD-HP20U
Samsung BD-P1400
post #209 of 17091 Old 01-12-2008, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogle View Post

I'm also new to the world of Blu-Ray...are there any stand-alone BD players with the Reon chip? I've been planning on purchasing the Sammy 5000 dual format, but now that HDDVD seems to be the loser, is it worth the extra cost to get the Reon?

Your considering purchasing the 5000? You have my condolences.
post #210 of 17091 Old 01-12-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand View Post

Longtime Red Die Hard Buying Blu Today with your Help!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have decided that I am sick of the whole thing. I am going to keep an HD player on hand for Bourne and the slew of other HD movies I can't find anywhere else. Bbut I need my Hi Def. So I am going to go Blu. I have been eying the BD player deals thread for weeks now and I am pretty much done waiting. None of the deals really applies to me anyways (no Frys within 1000mi, my BB and CC won't price match ANYTHING).

I have a Panny 900 FP with a 106" HiPower screen. I have a Pioneer 1014 (no HDMI) receiver with 7.2 set up. I expect to get a Onkyo 605 sometime soon, but don't see an immediate need right now.

My choices:

PS3: Buy.com with $15 coupon no tax, no S&H: $380
Panny 30: BB $499 - 12% is $439 with triple points is a $25 reward zone (is this really worth more than a PS3).
Sony 300: Best Buy with 12% off is $352 with triple points (free $20 reward zone coupon) and $5 existing reward zone with 5 free movies (and there are 5 I would happily pay $16 each for). Or no rewards, no movies at CC for $260 (assuming I can pass the $40 coupon off)...

Thanks for the help. Will be a smurf by the end of the day today with your help!

The CC price is $369 for the S300--no longer $299!?! so how would ou get it for $260?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , blu-ray dvd hardware player mp4 usb playback , blu-ray players , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Elite Bdp 62fd , Pioneer Pdp 5080 Hd , Plasma Hdtv , quality , S390 , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Toshiba , video quality
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page