AVS Forum banner
3M views 20K replies 5K participants last post by  cullam 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
[mod note] If you start a new thread asking for advice on buying a new BD player and the thread is merged into this thread, go to the end of thread and your original post should be there, maybe back a few posts. And you may already have some input. [/mod note]

I need help. Which bluray player is the best regardless of price thats not a major concern for me i just want the best bluray player in you opinion. Thank you i really need help with this one cause i have no knowledge of this subject

#17,601 ·
looking for Budget BluRay player with good firmware support

Could anyone recommend a reliable budget BluRay player whose manufacturer has great firmware support for use with tv. I have a theater and projector but generally use that for A list movies.,
thanks, Dan

#17,602 ·
Dan, Sony and Panasonic are the most popular manufacturers here (other than the non-budget Oppo). Check out the dedicated threads and the Sony and Panny websites, and choose a specific model based on the features you want.

#17,603 ·
Dan, Sony and Panasonic are the most popular manufacturers here (other than the non-budget Oppo). Check out the dedicated threads and the Sony and Panny websites, and choose a specific model based on the features you want.

Bill, is Sony good at supplying firmware updates in a timely fashion?
I cannot find that answer reading thru hundreds of pages on the sony thread
I am still using a 7 yr old Pioneer BDP 51 in our theater (state of the art when purchased) and will update that to OPPO when it finally dies. Pioneer was always slow at firmware updates and has about abandoned this player.
I will get the Sony BDP-S3200 if Sony is good at keeping up with firmware
thanks
dan

#17,605 ·
Bill, is Sony good at supplying firmware updates in a timely fashion?
I cannot find that answer reading thru hundreds of pages on the sony thread
I am still using a 7 yr old Pioneer BDP 51 in our theater (state of the art when purchased) and will update that to OPPO when it finally dies. Pioneer was always slow at firmware updates and has about abandoned this player.
I will get the Sony BDP-S3200 if Sony is good at keeping up with firmware
thanks
dan
You might consider whether numerous firmware updates are always a good thing. If numerous updates are needed because the initial firmware is problematic, then maybe a better job on the initial firmware would be better. My Sony & Panasonic players have not had (or needed) a firmware update since mid 2012 and they play everything thrown at them consistently. And I am a bit of a blu-ray addict, so they get a lot of new stuff thrown at them (especially the Sony BDP-S1000ES, as it is our primary player).

#17,607 ·
Well, I just had to send back my Oppo BDP-103 as it's IR kept screwing up my lighting system (RGB LED strips in a cove). I was still inside the 30 days so I'll be getting my money back. The main reason I went with the Oppo is because I was going to run my PS4 and Uverse receiver through it.

Bad idea. PS4 lagged so bad it was unplayable. The UVerse was okay but my Harmony remote had a hard time getting the Oppo to switch inputs.

Anyway, I'm going to get another stand alone Blu-Ray player (yeah, I know I can do it through the PS4 but I don't like the interface or the need to use the controller to pause, etc and my Harmony to do the volume).

Both my AVR and my projector will upscale to 4k so I guess the Oppo upscaling may have been a little overkill for my system anyhow (at least that is what I'm hoping).

So, in my perfect world, here is what I'd like to be able to do:

Play Blu-Ray
Upscale my DVDs
Have good audio output for Dolby/DTS processing by my reciever
Maybe use an external hard drive to play workout videos I've ripped (get tired of putting in the disc)
Network capable (Netflix/Amazon etc.) but no WiFi needed.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks for the input.

My system is below.

#17,608 ·
Well, I just had to send back my Oppo BDP-103 as it's IR kept screwing up my lighting system (RGB LED strips in a cove). I was still inside the 30 days so I'll be getting my money back. The main reason I went with the Oppo is because I was going to run my PS4 and Uverse receiver through it.

Bad idea. PS4 lagged so bad it was unplayable. The UVerse was okay but my Harmony remote had a hard time getting the Oppo to switch inputs.
Playing through the (current) Oppos probably was a bad idea, especially if you're also passing it through an AVR as well. Have to add the panel lag, the AVR lag and the Oppo's lag.

As to the Harmony, I have a Harmony One for my 103D which has no problem switching the inputs. Not saying you didn't have the issue, just haven't seen it on mine.

Anyway, I'm going to get another stand alone Blu-Ray player (yeah, I know I can do it through the PS4 but I don't like the interface or the need to use the controller to pause, etc and my Harmony to do the volume).
The usually recommended alternatives are Panasonic or Sony. Sony seems to have the better networking, so that my work best for you.

Both my AVR and my projector will upscale to 4k so I guess the Oppo upscaling may have been a little overkill for my system anyhow (at least that is what I'm hoping).
Well, Oppo is the reference for upscaling, so it will be better than an AVR or some other player. Some players are very good in their own right, so you may find that works best. I don't like to rely on devices whose main function is not video to do video.

The best thing to do in my opinion is to try the player and the display, see which you like better. They are more likely to be good at video and let the AVR just pass the signal through.

Play Blu-Ray
Upscale my DVDs
Maybe use an external hard drive to play workout videos I've ripped (get tired of putting in the disc)
I think the latest Sony or Panasonic players will do right by you. Just bitstream to your receiver for the lossless sound.

Thanks for the input.

My system is below.
Not missing anything, every setup is different and I think you can get very good results with these other players.

#17,609 ·

Play Blu-Ray
Upscale my DVDs

Thanks for the input.

My system is below.
That sucks. Why did you want to hook the others to the Oppo, was it a Darbee version? I too find myself playing more of my backups than inserting actual discs and has developed this lingering thought whether this expensive player is worth it for the purpose. My WDTV Live Hub 1TB can do the same - plus with more file type playback. I have a couple more days to decide. Not sure if they count the day I ordered or the actual day received. What was the procedure/lost? Only pay return shipping? I really love the unit. It is rock-solid and quality built.

#17,610 ·
Pretty straight forward. Called and got an RA number and a UPS shipping label. I took it to the UPS store and now simply awaiting credit.

Also, thanks, Hernanu for the input.

#17,611 ·
After a little research, think the Sony BDP-S6200 would serve my purposes? I did see one thing that said you could stream MP4 but not sure if you can play MP4 off of a thumb drive which would be nice.

#17,613 ·
Ok...not current on all the technological advancement in the AV world just updated all my system. Wondering what the buzz is about with OPPO? Features and benefits over other Blue-Ray players? Thanks in advance.
It's a big topic and the answer depends on what interests you. I recently answered a similar query here.

-Bill

#17,616 ·
Depending on what u need they are different cd and bluray and dvd upscaling are better on Pioneer it weight 2 times more has zero signal kabel.
Better dac for streaming music movies from NAS disk etc.
The only advantage the oppo has is 7.1 analog out if u need that and more network apps like Netflix..
Have tested the bdp85 vs 103D next to each other.

#17,617 · (Edited)
I'm going to throw my BRP request out here. Let me preface by saying I do streaming from a NAS or by popular internet services for 99% of video viewing. I need something for the occasional use of a physical disc. My wants/needs for me are:

• Small form factor (pretty important)
  • Reasonable quality/Reputable name brand
  • Tray loading preferred
  • Bit streaming of HD audio capable
  • 3D capable
  • HDMI connection is all that's needed
  • WiFi not needed
  • Apps (Netflix etc) not needed
  • Up-scaling not needed
  • 4K not needed
  • $100 or less

I think that covers it.

Thanks!

#17,618 ·
Thoughts between the Elite BDP-85FD to an Oppo BDP-103D. Neighbor loves his Oppo, I already have an Elite AVr and like the app to control it and the BDP. I don't care about streaming, Netflix, etc. This will be primarily for movies (played with a disc) and rare CD audio for parties 2-3x a year. Thanks for any feedback.

#17,619 ·
I'm going to throw my BRP request out here. Let me preface by saying I do streaming from a NAS or by popular internet services for 99% of video viewing. I need something for the occasional use of a physical disc. My wants/needs for me are:

• Small form factor (pretty important)
  • Reasonable quality/Reputable name brand
  • Tray loading preferred
  • Bit streaming of HD audio capable
  • 3D capable
  • HDMI connection is all that's needed
  • WiFi not needed
  • Apps (Netflix etc) not needed
  • Up-scaling not needed
  • 4K not needed
  • $100 or less

I think that covers it.

Thanks!
Sony 5200 or upcoming 5500. 10.5x1.75x8. There are smaller players out there which would work ok as long as you never use the apps, like the Toshiba BDX-3500, for example, 2.5" narrower than Sony. Plays discs fine, but has the worst apps I've ever seen, completely unusable.

#17,620 · (Edited)
Blu-Ray player that reads MKV files with options to change subtitle size or style?

I know there are many Blu-ray and DVD players (with custom firmware or without) that will read avi/divx files and allow one to A) change the size or the font and/or B) add a black outline to the .srt or other external subtitles attached to said files...

My question is whether there any Blu-ray players from the past 4 or 5 years that provide either of these same subtitle rendering options for the subs attached or found within MKV files (again, with or without custom firmware). All of the ones I have used or read about seem to have one default size (which in almost all cases is far too small when viewed on a TV). I know there are various media players that have these options, but I am trying to find a stand alone blu-ray player that might at least have this ability to change at least the size of the subs (i.e small, medium, large). I know that Philips and Oppo blu-ray players have the option to shift the position of the subs on the screen, but still in search of a player that has an option to change the size of the .srt sub file to a larger size, or as its default, has a larger than normal size for the subs.

Any help on this greatly appreciated!