AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Blu-ray Players (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/)
-   -   OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/959985-official-help-me-choose-player-thread-can-t-decide-start-here.html)

bushwacker0000 12-23-2007 05:45 PM

OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE.
 
[mod note] If you start a new thread asking for advice on buying a new BD player and the thread is merged into this thread, go to the end of thread and your original post should be there, maybe back a few posts. And you may already have some input. [/mod note]



I need help. Which bluray player is the best regardless of price thats not a major concern for me i just want the best bluray player in you opinion. Thank you i really need help with this one cause i have no knowledge of this subject

Gmaxx 12-23-2007 08:04 PM

You are two posts into your avsforum journey. You need to do some reading on these boards and you will find your answer. You can start reading here.

There are many factors that make up the answer to your question. What TV do you have? What AVR do you have? Do you need the player to decode the audio formats or do you want the player to bitstream the audio? Does your AVR have HDMI inputs? There are just too many good BR players out there for there to be just one that is the best. Have fun reading.

JLS24 01-04-2008 03:46 PM

Well I didnt really care who won this war in the first place I had a 50/50 chance and guessed wrong. I dont think HDdvd can recover from this. So Im here asking for help on a mid level Blu-Ray player. I would like to have one with the following.

True HD decoding bitstream
A Excellent upscaler for SDDVD's
1080p

I have a Toshiba XA2 so something that might be comparable to that would be great.

Here is my equipment:

Pioneer 5080HD
Onkyo tx-sr805

Hopefully looking around the $500 range. I really dont want a PS3 but if that is the best choice Ill go with that. Thanks for any help.

krisjan 01-04-2008 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS24 View Post

Well I didnt really care who won this war in the first place I had a 50/50 chance and guessed wrong. I dont think HDdvd can recover from this. So Im here asking for help on a mid level Blu-Ray player. I would like to have one with the following.

True HD decoding bitstream
A Excellent upscaler for SDDVD's
1080p

I have a Toshiba XA2 so something that might be comparable to that would be great.

Here is my equipment:

Pioneer 5080HD
Onkyo tx-sr805

Hopefully looking around the $500 range. I really dont want a PS3 but if that is the best choice Ill go with that. Thanks for any help.

The Panasonic DMP-BD30 is the best stand-alone BD player out there at the moment. You can check the thread for details but here is a summary of its features:

* bitstreams all of the latest audio formats (inlcuding TRUE HD and DTS MA) which will work very nicely with your Onkyo doing the decoding
* Excellent 1080P BD PQ (nothing better IMO and I own three different BD players)
* DVD upsaling is competent - not the best upscaling BD on the market which is the Samsung BD-P1200 (already discontinued and having lots of problems with BD and DVD playback requiring FW updates)
* BD30 has played everything I've put into it with no issues
* Can be had for close to $400 right now. Wait a month or two and it will probably drop more.

Good luck in your search.

ikeb 01-04-2008 04:00 PM

i have a 5080 and a toshiba a30 and got a panasonic bd-30

bd-30 has a little better picture than the a30 for hd, but the a30 is better for SD.

PooperScooper 01-04-2008 04:01 PM

Hey you still have a great player and movies that aren't on Blu-ray. I don't know why people are complaining. I've had a PS3 since almost the beginning and it works well and I can't complain. You don't need to worry about upconverting since you have the XA2.

larry

JLS24 01-04-2008 04:06 PM

Thanks for the help guys The Panny looks pretty good at the moment. Maybe I should wait to see what is announced at CES

joerod 01-04-2008 04:14 PM

I love my Panny BD30k. Super fast loading without playback issues... Plus all the features you need...

jpmst3 01-04-2008 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS24 View Post

Thanks for the help guys The Panny looks pretty good at the moment. Maybe I should wait to see what is announced at CES

Moment is the key word around these parts. The best is always for a short moment...

Tornillo 01-04-2008 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I love my Panny BD30k. Super fast loading without playback issues... Plus all the features you need...

How is the upconvert?

mikey p 01-04-2008 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS24 View Post

Well I didnt really care who won this war in the first place ..........
Here is my equipment:


Please consider the new Panny HD30, neat machine and FAST!

BTW: I also own a Tobby A1, A3, Sony S1, and S300, used on 3 different HDTV's. Also three different JVC D-VHS decks, point being, all my D-Theater and home made OTA tapes still play and I can still record over the air on one set-up. Your HD DVD's will always "still play".

FWIW and all that stuff, YMMV.

giggle 01-04-2008 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisjan View Post

The Panasonic DMP-BD30 is the best stand-alone BD player out there at the moment. You can check the thread for details but here is a summary of its features:

* bitstreams all of the latest audio formats (inlcuding TRUE HD and DTS MA) which will work very nicely with your Onkyo doing the decoding
* Excellent 1080P BD PQ (nothing better IMO and I own three different BD players)
* DVD upsaling is competent - not the best upscaling BD on the market which is the Samsung BD-P1200 (already discontinued and having lots of problems with BD and DVD playback requiring FW updates)
* BD30 has played everything I've put into it with no issues
* Can be had for close to $400 right now. Wait a month or two and it will probably drop more.

Good luck in your search.

How about if I don't have a HDMI 1.3 capable receiver (just HDMI).

Z06_Pilot 01-04-2008 05:01 PM

JLS24, help me out, recover from what? what did I miss? was there some type of announcement?

BTW, I have an XA2 also. I bought it to be my last SD DVD player I would ever need. It's widely accepted as the absolute best upscaling player.....SD DVD's look fantastic. So, if HD DVD does die, you will have the best DVD player available, and will still have a library of great looking titles on HD DVD.

If BD wins this thing, it could be a long time if ever, before HD DVD titles are put on BD.........Lot of life left in your XA2 in my opinion.

I'm almost where you are. I'm not ready to pull the trigger on BD yet. I'm waiting on the Denon player to come out with the Realta processor. If they do it right(include bit stream AND decode of both advanced multi-channel audio streams, ethernet connection, etc)

I agree with others, the BD30 is the one to have IF you have an AVR that will decode. has a really, really goofy remote though. strange coming from Panasonic.

JonW747 01-04-2008 05:14 PM

If a decent $200 player comes out of CES it might be worth waiting, but at the price point that the current models come in at, I decided to just go with the PS3. Even if it becomes obsoleted by new features or new formats, at least it still has value as a game platform, or wifi capable media player. Plus it's upgradeable.

Very happy with the decision. I was initially leaning towards the BD30, but at $500 ... it's just too much for what you get.

The PS3 is not perfect, but IMO nothing is right now.

Z06_Pilot 01-04-2008 05:16 PM

Oh, ok I found it...Warner going BD only in May '08.

I'm a little slow.....

teachsac 01-04-2008 05:18 PM

Another vote for the Panasonic BD30.

S~

froteur 01-04-2008 05:21 PM

i like my ps3 (and i'm not a gamer -- haven't even opened up the game that came with it).

i have a toshiba a3 too

margate21 01-04-2008 05:39 PM

i went neutral (can i still use that) tonight panasonic bd30... gotta deal on a openbox +5 instant movies + 5 mir

LarryChanin 01-04-2008 07:06 PM

Hi,

Can someone please discuss the pros and cons of using a PS3 in a dedicated home theater?

I assume that it can be oriented horizontally in an equipment rack? How loud is it in comparison to a standalone Blu-ray player?

Is there any Blu-ray player that has comparable features to the Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD player?

Thanks.

Larry

krisjan 01-04-2008 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggle View Post

How about if I don't have a HDMI 1.3 capable receiver (just HDMI).

The AVR needs to be HDMI 1.3a (or higher) in order to do the latest audio format decoding.

jpmst3 01-04-2008 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froteur View Post

i like my ps3 (and i'm not a gamer -- haven't even opened up the game that came with it).

i have a toshiba a3 too

Same here, exactly the same.

jpmst3 01-04-2008 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin View Post

I assume that it can be oriented horizontally in an equipment rack? How loud is it in comparison to a standalone Blu-ray player?

Is there any Blu-ray player that has comparable features to the Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD player?

Yes, it can be oriented vertically. Others have found that it can be loud when the fan is required to work hard. My 80G has never been loud at all, but I don't play games, just watch movies.

There is not perfect player. It is all about compromises in one form or another.

nick2010 01-04-2008 09:22 PM

I also recommend the Panasonic DMP-BD30.

skule 01-04-2008 09:23 PM

I'm new to the HD thing..bought a panny plasma and a old yamaha receiver that decodes dolby digital and dts..I only have a 5.1 setup..can I still use this BD player? Will it send dts or dolby digital signals thru coax or optical to my receiver and HMDI to my plasma (I don't have HDMI 1.3)? Thanks.

nick2010 01-04-2008 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skule View Post

I'm new to the HD thing..bought a panny plasma and a old yamaha receiver that decodes dolby digital and dts..I only have a 5.1 setup..can I still use this BD player? Will it send dts or dolby digital signals thru coax or optical to my receiver and HMDI to my plasma (I don't have HDMI 1.3)? Thanks.

Every BD player that I know of should allow you to bitstream Dolby Digital or DTS in 5.1 over coaxial/optical cables just like DVD players used to. (except the bitrates can be higher than DVD)

Donnie Eldridge 01-04-2008 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisjan View Post

The AVR needs to be HDMI 1.3a (or higher) in order to do the latest audio format decoding.

Unless you purchase a player that internally decodes.

bigbarney 01-04-2008 09:34 PM

Does anybody know for sure if the Panasonic DMP-BD30 will play BD-r and AVCHD on dvd media?

Donnie Eldridge 01-04-2008 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarney View Post

Does anybody know for sure if the Panasonic DMP-BD30 will play BD-r and AVCHD on dvd media?

Yes, its been confirmed in the official BD30 thread.

JLS24 01-04-2008 09:48 PM

I keep seeing a (K) at the end of the panny bd30 when searching online same thing, or different?

Donnie Eldridge 01-04-2008 09:50 PM

Same thing


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.