Which is better - A35 or PS3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 01-02-2008, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just ordered an A35 and I also have a PS3. Which is the better player for HD movies? If a movie is available on both HD and Blu-Ray - I'm not exactly sure which one to pickup to make the best use of my system.

Samsung 61" HL-S6188
Yamaha 1700
PS3 80GB
Xbox 360 Elite
Oppo-981HD
Toshiba A-35
DirecTV
Ascend 340SE's L/R/C
Ascend 170SE's for Sides and Rear
HSu VTF3 MK3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-02-2008, 01:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 190
My guess is the A35 since your receiver won't decode the fancy audio codecs. I believe the A35 will decode all of them and send them via PCM. With the PS3 you would be missing one.

Now if you want to get into which disc has what and which version would sound better the answer is both or neither.

| 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #3 of 21 Old 01-02-2008, 01:28 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

My guess is the A35 since your receiver won't decode the fancy audio codecs. I believe the A35 will decode all of them and send them via PCM. With the PS3 you would be missing one.

Now if you want to get into which disc has what and which version would sound better the answer is both or neither.

The A35 will NOT decode DTS-MA (nor will the PS3), and both players will decode TrueHD to PCM so it is a wash in this area.

If renting, go BR whenever possible as rental HD-DVD's can have playback issues (freezing, skipping, etc...) from my experience on my A1, A35 and XA2 while my PS3 has NEVER given me a problem with rentals. Not a bash, just my experience. If buying sometimes one format may offer an advantage over the other with a certain title, but most the time it is a wash and you can buy whichever you choose.

Other than these factors, both machines offer top notch PQ/AQ experiences and each has movies the other one does not, so enjoy both.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #4 of 21 Old 01-02-2008, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
The A35 won't decode DTS-MA, but it will bitstream it, whereas the PS3 will do neither.

With that said, I think comparing the two players is apples/oranges, considering they are different formats. As for choosing a format when you own both and a film is on both, I'd suggest looking at the specs and the extras of each particular title, and then making your choice based on that.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #5 of 21 Old 01-02-2008, 01:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

The A35 will NOT decode DTS-MA (nor will the PS3), and both players will decode TrueHD to PCM so it is a wash in this area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen View Post

The A35 won't decode DTS-MA, but it will bitstream it, whereas the PS3 will do neither.

Sorry, I thought all of the HD DVD players could PCM everything (all of the codecs used on their discs). I guess you can tell why I only own a Wal-Mart A2. Unfortunately his Yamaha RX-V1700 won't bidstream the fancy stuff so it is a tie.

| 
|
|
|
post #6 of 21 Old 01-02-2008, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

I appreciate the answers Gents. I understand there is differences between the media itself but I was talking about the hardware differences between the two.

I'm happy to hear both are very similar so I should be happy with both medias.
post #7 of 21 Old 01-02-2008, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Wiluven, I think you will greatly appreciate owning players from both formats. I've had an XA2 since summer, and just got a bd30, and I'm loving the viewing freedom it affords.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #8 of 21 Old 01-02-2008, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have A35 and PS3. Both my girlfriend and I think HD DVD picture looks sharper, so when a movie is on both formats, our personal preference is to rent it on HD DVD
post #9 of 21 Old 01-02-2008, 03:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 424
The A35 will be very slightly sharper than the PS3 for same encodes.

post #10 of 21 Old 01-02-2008, 03:08 PM

PS3 is still the fastest to load movies, responds as fast a good DVD player, plus has the 80GB hard disk to download demos+movies. PS3 also has wireless internet which is a major plus (who wants to run a cable to the back of their player?). Plus its has been getting numerous updates as well.
post #11 of 21 Old 01-03-2008, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Picture and Audio quality between formats and with your setup will be near identical. Price and value would be the additional determining factors between neutral releases. Such as if the one format has more extras, interactivity, web enabled features etc then the other. Even if your not planning on taking advantage of watching these right away it doesnt hurt to get more for your money and have them then to pay the same price and not have these extra features.

post #12 of 21 Old 01-03-2008, 06:15 AM

I love my PS3 way better than the A35 for one reason, the PS3 doesn't take very long to load my movie as the A35 does.
post #13 of 21 Old 01-03-2008, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I would probably say the A35, since I have the A3 model myself. However, if you're looking at entering the Blu-ray camp, since the A3/35 is HD DVD, I'd probably suggest waiting until CES comes about for announcements about the new standards for Profile v1.1 players. That's probably the best idea for right now...

AVS Forum...The Final Frontier. My continuing mission. To explore strange, new equipment, to seek out new movies and technology. Boldly going where no enthusiast had gone before.
post #14 of 21 Old 01-03-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiluven View Post

I just ordered an A35 and I also have a PS3. Which is the better player for HD movies? If a movie is available on both HD and Blu-Ray - I'm not exactly sure which one to pickup to make the best use of my system.

Samsung 61" HL-S6188
Yamaha 1700
PS3 80GB
Xbox 360 Elite
Oppo-981HD
Toshiba A-35
DirecTV
Ascend 340SE's L/R/C
Ascend 170SE's for Sides and Rear
HSu VTF3 MK3

The A35 is better than the PS3 for viewing movies!
post #15 of 21 Old 01-03-2008, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I have both the A35 and the PS3. I'm selling my PS3 in favor of the Panny BD30. Why? PS3 can't bitstream all audio to my receiver, I don't like the lack of IR for universal remotes (I know add-ons can fix this), the PS3 runs hot, and I miss the lack of LCD display showing movie progress.

When renting from BlockBuster online I always choose HD DVD over blu-ray and haven't had any playback problems. When my BD30 comes, it will be a toss-up since both can bitstream.
post #16 of 21 Old 01-03-2008, 09:57 AM

This post is someone stupid in a way, no disrespect to the OP, but you will get biased opinions no matter what. I say buy you think is best, or like best. I dont own an HDDVD but they seen to be just like most HD players slow to load but good picture quality once they come on. Best of luck on your endeveaur.

Blu ray.
post #17 of 21 Old 01-03-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yngdiego View Post

I have both the A35 and the PS3. I'm selling my PS3 in favor of the Panny BD30. Why? PS3 can't bitstream all audio to my receiver, I don't like the lack of IR for universal remotes (I know add-ons can fix this), the PS3 runs hot, and I miss the lack of LCD display showing movie progress.

When renting from BlockBuster online I always choose HD DVD over blu-ray and haven't had any playback problems. When my BD30 comes, it will be a toss-up since both can bitstream.

I had the Bd30 for a week now (also have A35) the bd30 is just a kick ass device. If somehow toshiba finds a way to match the speed (i doubt it) the A35+DB30 will be the best combo to have.

By the way xman 3 + bd30 + (HDMI DTSMA Receiver) = WOW!
post #18 of 21 Old 01-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

I haven't seen the A35 myself so I can't say for sure (I have the 360 AO and a PS3), but my guess would be:

If you have a 24FPS capable set, then it's a wash picture wise. Probably a slight edge to the A35.

If you have a 1080i set then it's probably also a wash with a slight edge to the A35.

If you have a 1080p set that is great at deinterlacing probably a wash.

If you have a 1080p set that is not good at deinterlacing then probably the PS3. I've read that to go from 1080p24 to 1080p30 the Toshiba players do 1080p24-1080i60-1080p30 and they don't deinterlace very well. This is all based on reading the forum though.

If you have a 720p set it's probably the same as the above two replies based on how well your set goes from 1080i to 720p.

Audio wise (on your system) it'll again be a wash, but if you get a receiver capable of taking bitstream DTS-MA then you'll probably come out ahead with the A35.
post #19 of 21 Old 01-03-2008, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Like I said in the thread I just locked (because OP could be a troll) unless people start posting results from known resolution and and other known objective tests you can spec-ulate and give opinions till the cows come home. Everybody's eyes, displays, calibration capabities, etc are different. Some players have known issues that people have discovered through testing. Audio features are a different story.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #20 of 21 Old 01-03-2008, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

I have a PS3 and an XA2. Comparing the two, I think the PS3 is sharper and presents a more pleasing image if only by a hair. I think it has to do with how the Toshiba and the PS3 do their 1080p24. Just my subjective opinion. What isn't subjective is the speed and responsiveness of the players. The PS3 is bar none the fastest, most responsive of the HDM players.

The PS3 will not output HD bitstream, though, for DTS HD MA. In that, the Toshiba will win out. As far as any 1.1 or 1.2 HDMI receivers, you'll find both players equal in decoding to LPCM for TrueHD or DD/DD+.

I've also found that BD's are more reliable because I've never had a problem with a BD playing, but I've had a lot of problems with HD DVD's (all combos).

For this reason, I always choose to go BD when I can just to avoid the possibility of problems and to play it on the ultimately quicker, (arguably) better player.

All my opinion of course.
post #21 of 21 Old 01-03-2008, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisko197 View Post

I've also found that BD's are more reliable because I've never had a problem with a BD playing, but I've had a lot of problems with HD DVD's (all combos).

For this reason, I always choose to go BD when I can just to avoid the possibility of problems and to play it on the ultimately quicker, (arguably) better player.

All my opinion of course.

Yep, I experienced the opposite having the A3 and PS3. I have never had an issue playing any HD-DVDs even the heavily-rented and severly scratched ones from NetFlix. I think the picture is just as good on 1080i with the A3 as it is in 1080p with the PS3, others say different.

So, the answer is there is no answer. All you are going to get are opinions and observations. You just have to pick one and go with it. All of this technology is in flux and will change almost daily.

Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page