Is there a better option than the PS3? - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 213 Old 01-12-2008, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCD View Post

One of the things I have learned about this hobby is: never pay today for functionality that you may require in 2 years.

Most people HATE replacing something they bought that soon though, believe me. People like looking forward to new features on sources, not sweating their arrival/getting upset because their receiver can't handle it.

People that only buy for today are the ones that complain about "intentional obsolescence" and all this and that. Spend a couple hundred more and get in front of the industry as much as you can.

The First Clarke Law states, 'If an elderly but distinguished scientist says that something is possible he is almost certainly right, but if he says that it is impossible he is very probably wrong.'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 213 Old 01-12-2008, 11:36 AM

[quote=Jim01;12709029]
"It seems to me the PS3 is the obvious choice because it is one of the best players and the big point to me is that it is profile 1.1 and could possibly be upgraded to 2.0 (I don't see why not). No standalone that I am aware of offers the possiblity of being upgradeable to 2.0, so that alone seems to make PS3 the winner to me".

"Can anyone point out any other options they honestly feels could be better for me? Are there any standalones that might be upgradeable to 2.0 in the future"?

I just picked up on an interesting fact concerning Play Station 3 owners.

Quite a few people that own these units and have kids are complaining that there is a lot of conflict in having the unit for gaming vs watching movies.

There have moved the player from the big screen TV room back to the computer monitor. Now, here is the real problem, they have no intensions of coughing up another $400.00 to $500.00 to buy a standalone HD player for the big screen room.

#3614 wrote I won't use then thing as a player as it is tied up often with the kids wanting to play games on it so I will probably let them take it to their room and be done with it.

Other Play Station 3 owners should also respond to this issue.
post #153 of 213 Old 01-12-2008, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod2467 View Post

Quite a few people that own these units and have kids are complaining that there is a lot of conflict in having the unit for gaming vs watching movies.

There have moved the player from the big screen TV room back to the computer monitor. Now, here is the real problem, they have no intensions of coughing up another $400.00 to $500.00 to buy a standalone HD player for the big screen room.

#3614 wrote I won't use then thing as a player as it is tied up often with the kids wanting to play games on it so I will probably let them take it to their room and be done with it.

I'm not a PS3 owner, but I may be soon, considering the way studios have chosen sides and player development is going. I don't really understand this line of thinking, although I have seen it here.

If I purchase a PS3 as a BD player for $400, then it's not a bad deal at all as BD players go. If I purchase a game or two for my kids, that adds value. If it turns out that it has great value as a gaming machine, then I guess we'd either share it or I'd get another, and I'd still have a BD player and a gaming machine.

I guess if the biggest problem is that the machine has so many valuable features that we fight over it or need another, then that would tell me we purchased a really great machine.

post #154 of 213 Old 01-12-2008, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 80
[quote=rod2467;12791214]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim01 View Post

"It seems to me the PS3 is the obvious choice because it is one of the best players and the big point to me is that it is profile 1.1 and could possibly be upgraded to 2.0 (I don't see why not). No standalone that I am aware of offers the possiblity of being upgradeable to 2.0, so that alone seems to make PS3 the winner to me".

"Can anyone point out any other options they honestly feels could be better for me? Are there any standalones that might be upgradeable to 2.0 in the future"?

Sounds like a parenting issue to me. If you can't control your kids to the point that you get to watch a movie when you want to, on equipment you bought, then shame on you.
post #155 of 213 Old 01-12-2008, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiohm View Post

no support for DTS-HD MA which is the lossless audio DTS format (that is, audio is transmitted in its original form not compressed as in the regular Dolby Digital or DTS).
Also the PS3 is noisy (although some swear it is not - I've had 3 in the house and they were all noisy) and it gets very hot (yes mine were in the clear, standing and not on an enclosed shelf).
On the plus side it is very fast and works well and theoratically can be upgrade to profile 2.

the ps3 is probably the quietest electronics i own. dont sit with your ear on the console.lol
post #156 of 213 Old 01-12-2008, 05:05 PM

[quote=jmpage2;12792081]
Quote:

Sounds like a parenting issue to me. If you can't control your kids to the point that you get to watch a movie when you want to, on equipment you bought, then shame on you.

I guess by your statement, you're not a parent, and you completely missed the point.
post #157 of 213 Old 01-12-2008, 10:53 PM
Advanced Member

[quote=rod2467;12793996]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

I guess by your statement, you're not a parent, and you completely missed the point.

Or he has one, two at best, children. Those of us with large households see these shortcomings in advance and plan in advance. A few comments early in the day or a day or so in advance of expected use will do the trick.

I was born in the 50s along with the transistor. Grew up in the 60s along with the proverbial sony and panasonic transistor radio. In the late 60s I remember my father purchasing a small black and white AC/DC Sony TV for use at home and while camping. During the 70s I found stereo LPs, non-ceramic cartridges and preamplifiers to drive said turntable cartridges. 8-racks and cassettes came and went. In 87 I started all over again with compact discs. By 89 I was hooked on both VHS and Beta Hifi, experminted with opamps to decode Dolby surrond using two stereo amplifiers. By 91 I had purchased my first pro-logic decoder followed soon thereafter by a Pioneer combi CD/LD player...times were good. Late 99 came along I bought a generation 1.5 Sony DVP-S3000 DVD player. That player refuses to die! For myr thesis in college I built a working Dolby Digital AC3 decoder (Thanks Roger for the insight.) I went on to the likes of Carver, Lexicon, FPTV and the proverbial HTPC....and then the PS3 came to our home.

Some of you by now are saying what a self pompous @ss this guy is, for you I have to say you've missed the point. The point is a lot of technology has come and gone over the last 50 years. However with the exception of the HTPC evolution at the turn of the century I can think of no other piece of Audio Video hardware that provides so much for so little.

My kids like it, my wife, she likes, I like it too, long live the PS3.

Yeah I know, long winded and full of smoke, had fun writing though so please don't flame me.

Building our dream theater one component at a time.. Thanks AVS for years of great advice and support!

Come visit The Pit
http://members.cox.net/home-theater/
post #158 of 213 Old 01-12-2008, 11:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:

There's no reason to flame anyone over this issue.

My family has only watched a couple of movies using the ps3 since we bought it a couple of weeks ago. If I'd bought a standalone player, it'd be sitting there rotting most of the time. Instead we get extra use out of the box because of it's other features, heck I even use the web browser tonight to check some sports scores.

Most families own more than one TV for convenience and so they don't have to fight over the set when people want to watch different programs. If there's a contention issue with a ps3, how is it any different? Either make it clear who has priority, share it, or buy multiple units.
post #159 of 213 Old 01-13-2008, 12:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 15
My PS3 is a Blu-ray player and not a game console. I made that clear to my my kids on day one. No controller, no games and no contention.
post #160 of 213 Old 01-13-2008, 03:41 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I sold my children and kept the PS3.
post #161 of 213 Old 01-13-2008, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So some worry that with a PS3 your children will want to play a game instead of watching the movie you would pick. How is that any different than if you had a standalone and you want to watch Bourne Supremacy but they want to watch Cars?

[quote=johnwcookjr;12796416]
Quote:

...with the exception of the HTPC evolution at the turn of the century I can think of no other piece of Audio Video hardware that provides so much for so little.

I agree 100%. Maybe because I'm the same age, and went down the HTPC path with the same enthusiasm John did. I just got my PS3 on Friday and I love it.

Here are some impressions from a former Toshiba HD-A2 owner:

Looks. This is subjective I know, but I think it looks pretty nice. It's small and black, matches my black thinnish bezel Samsung 4661. It's easy to ignore or hide if you don't like the way it looks. Minor issue. Much worse would be a butt ugly display.

Sound. So far it's been very quiet. I've never heard it kick into high fan speed and I'd have to be no more than a few feet away with total movie silence to hear it at all.

Speed. The worst thing about my Toshiba was the interminable startup and chapter seek times. The PS3 blows it away. Chapter seeks are nearly as fast as a regular SD player. I'm not experienced with other Blu-ray players, but I understand that many of them are slow like the Toshiba. This is a big deal for me.

Upgrade ability. The firmware update happened on my first startup, quickly and painlessly. What other player will do that?

You can swap the hard disk easily if you like.

It will most likely add audio codec support and the 2.0 profile in the future.

Performance. Flawless so far. I'm comparing apples to oranges with 1080i60 to1080p24, different studios, etc. but I think video is a little better than I got with the Toshiba. I only have SPDIF audio. I can understand the lack of DTS lossless being an issue for some but I'm betting the PS3 will bitstream it in the near future.

Media streaming. It found my Windows machine and plays most divx/xvid files, music, and photos.

Games! Don't close your mind to this if you think you're not a gamer. It's so easy to download a demo and have some fun. What a total plus for a movie player to have! I bought the Orange Box with the system because I've played HL2 on the PC and I thought it would be good practice for me (I've never been good with a console controller, coming from the mouse and keyboard school of shooters).

Gripes./ The interface lacks polish here and there compared to Windows Media Center and XBox. It's simple and usable though once you get used to it. I wish it had a better browser.
post #162 of 213 Old 01-13-2008, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miata View Post

My PS3 is a Blu-ray player and not a game console. I made that clear to my my kids on day one. No controller, no games and no contention.

I also told the kids the PS3 is for movies only. It is important to set those ground rules up front, and stick to it.
post #163 of 213 Old 01-13-2008, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Burke View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by miata View Post

I also told the kids the PS3 is for movies only. It is important to set those ground rules up front, and stick to it.

Wow, you guys are tough. Can they watch comedies, or is it just Planet Earth for them?
post #164 of 213 Old 01-13-2008, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This and the DTS-HD issue in my mind are the only valid anti-PS3 complaints.

I went for a long time with just an HTPC and OTA. The Windows Media Center remote is truly a thing of simple beauty, because the intelligence is on the screen, not on a million buttons on the remote.

Then I succumbed to satellite. OK, now I have two remotes. The Dish remote is not bad, but not as nice as the MCE remote.

Next was an HD DVD player. Holy 1999, that thing has a lot of little non-backlit buttons.

Got rid of the satellite, got rid of the HD-A2, got a PS3. Another old fashioned remote. Frankly I prefer the controller. At least I can operate it in the dark.

The Harmony won't control my PC, so even if I go with the IR converter I'll have two remotes (three if you count the PS3 controller).
post #165 of 213 Old 01-13-2008, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The USB ports aren't behind a panel, at least on my 40GB. I think the 80GB has a panel for the memory card slots, but the USB ports are still exposed on that one too.
post #166 of 213 Old 01-13-2008, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Question for you guys with the PS3 and the Nyko remote. I understand that there is a basic set of remote commands but from what I can tell, enough to do all the operations required for basic playback save one - Power. Now, that really is not much of an issue on startup since you have got to put the disc in the machine in the first place but I can see myself shutting off the system (from my Pronto) with the disc in the PS3 and possibly leaving the PS3 on overnight or longer. Given the concern about heat (my rack is completely open however) does anyone see this as a problem? Does anyone leave their PS3 on all the time?
post #167 of 213 Old 01-13-2008, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Well the decision may have been made for me. I bought the Sharp LC-46D64U on Black Friday as my first truly high def tv. This week I saw CC was giving away the Sharp BDHP20 for free with any large Sharp AQUOS tv. I didn't think they would give it to me but figured it wouldn't hurt to try.

One phone call and one trip to CC with my receipt later, I have a new Sharp BDHP20 sitting in my living room.

Sadly, it doesn't appear this is that great a player. CC and Best Buy have it as $499.99 right now, but it is only profile 1.0 and doesn't appear to support any lossless audio. But hey, a free Blu-Ray player is a free Blu-Ray player right?
post #168 of 213 Old 01-13-2008, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post

Sorry but Sony just didn't get me. Close. Went through it all the way to the cart on-line at Circuit City. By the time I get a couple of controllers, the remote even on sale, the usb dongle, some cables, the price is simply too high when compared to the coming bluray 2.0 players that are about ready to hit the market. Even at the speculated price of the Panasonic BD50, the PS3 ends up being more. One click away from purchase "close" but just couldn't do it.

Gotta wonder if some of what I'm thinking through is what helped drive the latest price reductions from Sony.

Uhh, yes but if you are getting a couple of controllers you are planning on using the game part of the system. So, in essence you are getting something for almost nothing, either the player or the game machine. You really don't even need the BT remote, the included controller works fine for playback. You would need cables regardless.
So, what you are saying $400 is too high for a state of the art gaming, media and blu-ray player in one box?

post #169 of 213 Old 01-13-2008, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, I certainly see your point. Like you said, only opinions are at play here. I never loaded a game in mine and likely never will. Of course, I have nothing to gain by recommending one either. I did do a lot of research and trail and error before getting one.

Having tried just about every other player out there I can tell you this...they all have some sort of playback issue where the PS3 never seems to. Also, the PS3 is soooo well supported compared to the other players. Most models are still waiting for some type of firmware upgrade to fix something.

As far as the codecs go, it won't matter whether the audio is decoded in the player or externally. The PS3 will most likely be able to decode all format in the near future so you won't miss any audio formats. I also consided the BT remote a plus since it works from almost everywhere in my house which is sweet if you want to stream music and photos...the trayless loading is sweet too. Not to mention it is MUCH faster loading and booting than anything out there even hopes to be. Hell, you can even load Linux on the thing making it a full blown computer.

It is up to you and your money. I would do what you suggested and try one and return it if you don't like it. It certainly is not for everyone, but is one impressive system.

post #170 of 213 Old 01-13-2008, 03:34 PM

I had a Samsung 5000 and returned it, as there are way too many problems right now. I decided to go with a PS3, as it is the most future proof, now after reading these two Blu-Ray articles, I am even more happy. I will get a standalone player, just not for awhile.

I got the Blue-tooth remote, which works well, but there are a lot of small, unlit buttons and it takes getting used to. The Wi-Fi works great and is quite a welcomed addition. I was going to have to buy an Ethernet bridge for the 5000, which was going to cost me about another $80. The picture is not as sharp and the colors are not as brilliant as the 5000, but the lack of bugs, price difference and other features definitely make the PS 3 a great value. The only real feature that is missing are analogue outputs. This will definitely be a good player to hold me over...and if the others catch up and get everything working, then I will later look for a standalone unit.

These articles may give a little bit of information. Check em' out!
http://consumerist.com/344116/buyers...y-future-discs and http://www.betanews.com/article/Blur...nto/1199841379
post #171 of 213 Old 01-13-2008, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What amazes me daily is just how fast the PS3 boots and loads discs. I also have Toshiba HD-A3 and I though it was fast and at least twice as fast when compared to blu-ray players. The PS3 is amazing. I also thought the picture on the A3 could not be beat, but the PS3 is at least equal to it.

post #172 of 213 Old 01-13-2008, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for letting me "think out loud".....

And for those who say it doesn't look first class, what are you talking about? The thing looks great, piano black, silver, etc.

It is one amazing piece of gear for the money. You have nothing to lose trying it...

post #173 of 213 Old 01-13-2008, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCD View Post

The PS3 cannot bitstream lossless audio, so whether you have an HDMI 1.1 or 1.2 or 1.3 receiver, it doesn't matter, as long as it handles PCM over HDMI.

Furthermore, you should assume that the PS3 will never be able to support DTS-HD/MA. It may not seem important now, but once you upgrade to a HDMI receiver and hear lossless for the first time, you will wish this is supported, especially since Fox only release lossless on DTS-HD/MA.

The bottom line is given what we know today, if you care about audio, you should avoid the PS3.

Yeah, that is in fact true, but like others have said the PS3 has a good track record of past firmware upgrades and future ones to come. I think the re-sale value of this machine should be considered as well. Think of it this way - you'll most likely take more of a loss on a standalone then the PS3 if you decide to sell it in the future. The PS3 holds its value very well.
post #174 of 213 Old 01-14-2008, 04:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

It is quite nice. Takes awhile to get used to the menus. And it cranks out some heat. My goodness.

Agreed, but when you consider that there is ton of processing power crammed in that box too...

And yes, the PS3 sounds great and will only get better. Avoiding it for audio just doesn't make sense.

post #175 of 213 Old 01-14-2008, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmp6 View Post

You bet. The PS3 is the ultimate home entertainment console out there...
It can stream audio/video/picture files right from your home PC with a wireless connection.

How is this done? What (if anything additional) is needed?
-Thanks,
Jay
post #176 of 213 Old 01-14-2008, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

jp....

The lack of IR and the heat this puppy puts out sure is a "con" for the typical intregrated home theater. There is no way you could put this thing in anything that is closed, no air flow, etc. It would fry in no time.

I can see why folks have added silent fans from the pc type fans into their home theater storage areas for the ps3.

The IR thing is a downer for some I suppose. I think it is a plus since the remote works from any room or in any direction.

I have mine in a 3-sided cabinet (back open) and I can't hear it. It may be throwing out some heat but it is designed to be used in harsher conditions than my 68 degree HT room.

post #177 of 213 Old 01-14-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:

jp....

The lack of IR and the heat this puppy puts out sure is a "con" for the typical intregrated home theater. There is no way you could put this thing in anything that is closed, no air flow, etc. It would fry in no time.

I can see why folks have added silent fans from the pc type fans into their home theater storage areas for the ps3.

I walked in one day after the grand daughter was playing a game. I heard a horrible noise when I checked the PS3 was screaming from the fans running on high and it was super hot red leds flashing and it had shut down from overheating. They had closed the cabinet and walked out of the room I am guessing it was in the closed cabinet for a couple of hours. I added a couple of cheap ($3 for two of them) quiet computer case fans to the back of the cabinet. I have ran the PS3 for a couple of days at a time since. It has never overheated again it is warm to the touch but not hot and I never hear it or the case fans running that I put in. I also have noticed that my other gerar is running cooler also. I have the 60GB one/
post #178 of 213 Old 01-14-2008, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadbury8 View Post

the simplest way is a router and a computer running windows media player. I use this as an example due to the fact of not having a mac.
with the ps3 hooked up to your home network you would first allow sharing in windows media player. then have the ps3 search for a music server of which the computer with windows media player is. then just go from there. its more difficult to explain how to do it then it is actually to do it. hehehe.
the video gets more complicated with different codex support etc. i have not even begun to get involved in that yet. but if you know how to rip dvds then it should be simple enough for you to figure out. Im still learning how to rip dvds.

Any specific version of Windows Media Player? I have version 10. What needs to be done at the PC end to put it out on the network?

I've ripped a few DVDs, used DVD Shrink.
post #179 of 213 Old 01-15-2008, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Jay:

right now im playing with windows vista which comes with windows media player 11 i believe. it works for me. im not sure if i addressed it but all my media was ripped with windows media player 11 (?) as 128bit files. It should be able to do mp3s as well.
i do know you have to turn on the wma option in the ps3 to use the files. the ps3 should tell you this and also should tell you where to go to do this. it did me.

hooking the ps3 up to my network was cake. i plugged it into my router, hardwired, and my router picked it up and i named it. very simple. in the windows media player i allowed sharing of my folders with the unnamed device. then i set the ps3 to search for media servers and wham bam thank you mam the icon for my computer was on the system tray of the ps3 under music. it takes a while to search for it but it should find it.

I would think it would work the same way with windows xp. you could try it and find out. your milage may very depending on the router and network you are running at your house. hope this helps. I have not tried the video aspects of it yet and have heard there are only certain codecs it will use for video. thats gonna be a tough one.

do you have a router and/or network setup at your house jay?

yes, I have a router & (wireless) network setup. I am running XP with Media Player 10. I do not have a PS3.
All my music is MP3
post #180 of 213 Old 01-15-2008, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

then jay if you get a ps3 you may have to upgrade windows media player to version 11. I would assume the ps3 would do mp3s due to the fact that everything can handle mp3s.

there are a bunch other programs that people use to do this also. tversity is one of them. do a search for more information. there have been some bug workarounds with the video in a vob format. it seems that when you have a movie broken up into different vob files the ps3 loses sound for the second file. this was taken care of by changing the movie into a single vob file. then the audio works fine. I beileive this is with tversity that i was reading about.

Aint none of it hard. i did it. hehehe. if i can do it anyone can. though i chose the easiest route at this time.

also i didnt get into the wireless stuff at all due to the fact of you probably knowing more then i and all i could really give would be speculation that may be wrong. Hope this all helps you out. i think the ps3 does come with built in wifi so that may be something to look into and could be a help to you.

Cadbury8,
Thanks for the info... its kind of hard to figure this out when you don't have the pieces.-lol.
It sounds like Media Player 11 will allow for the file sharing. I'll look for more info on TVersity.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page