post #181 of 4770 Old 01-14-2008, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

Especially for one that is OBSOLETE when you get it.

Profile 1.1 and NOT 2.0.

I agree...espeically for a player with this high of a price and since 2.0 players are starting to be announced now. Even though PIP and BD-Live features are most likely not going to interest me at all, I still want to get the lastest that is out there to replace my HD1 and not have to keep buying players every year.

Go Celtics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 4770 Old 01-14-2008, 06:28 PM

First post so forgive my ignorance...

Here is where I am:

Pioneer Elite VSX-82TXS reciever
Pioneer Elite DV-46AV DVD player
Sony Projector - 1080p, HDMI connection

HDMI 1.2 on the reciever, assumed not clearly documented.

Since the reciever does support the HDMI connection but does not decode Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio formats, I am left with looking for a BD player that localy decodes and can push the 7.1 audio over PCM, correct? I think the VSX-82TXS can handle that. Can anyone confirm?

Second question:

The BD players by default upgrade DVDs to 1080p. Anyone want to render an opinion on how well this devide would compare to the the DV-46AV that upconverts to 1080i? Or how other DB upconverting capabilities compare?

I have to say I am in love with my system right now. Only complaints are the upconversion on the reciever is limited to 1080i (for other inputs) and the tray time on the DVD player occasionally. Other then that, I was looking for a DB player to get me to the end game of 7.1 surround sound w/ all the codex and this looks like the winner.

Not sure if I want to wait for 2.0 or not. The streaming content over the LAN may force me to wait a bit longer for the next Elite announcment. NAS ripped movies, no swapping disks, no dirty fingers, no lost disks...
post #183 of 4770 Old 01-14-2008, 06:41 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMan34 View Post

I agree...espeically for a player with this high of a price and since 2.0 players are starting to be announced now. Even though PIP and BD-Live features are most likely not going to interest me at all, I still want to get the lastest that is out there to replace my HD1 and not have to keep buying players every year.

Man, I'm on the fence. I will have to wait to see what is revealed at the line show in May. That's a looooonnnnnnngggggg time to wait.

Mark
post #184 of 4770 Old 01-14-2008, 06:51 PM

I am curious on the upscaling engine. If it is better then my Pinoeer Elite DV-46AV or not. I know that my DVD player only upscales to 1080i, but it then is a question of should I replace my DVD player with just the Blu-Ray.

I assume this will be able to send DD True HD and DTS-HD Master audio to HDMI 1.2 recievers via PCM. My only concern right now is will I get the most out of this Blu-ray unit with my Pioneer Elite VSX-82TXS 7.1 reciever.

I may wait for an announcement for 2.0 version. Ripping disks to a NAs and never have to touch them again is appealing
post #185 of 4770 Old 01-14-2008, 08:25 PM

Don't buy this player!...Wait for 2.0. I want a Pioneer Elite, but will settle for Panasonic BD30 until Pioneer gets their act together. Sold my 95FD in favor of the Panny BD30 due to SLOW load times... Come on Pioneer! Get your act together!...
post #186 of 4770 Old 01-14-2008, 09:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Does anybody remember where we left the tar and feathers from last time? hehehe

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #187 of 4770 Old 01-14-2008, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHDMan View Post

will settle for Panasonic BD30 until Pioneer gets their act together

Are you actually using the Panasonic DMP-BD30K right now? If so how is performance? Also, why are you even concerned with getting the profile 2.0 Pioneer Elite?
post #188 of 4770 Old 01-15-2008, 08:28 AM

Could someone give me a few justifications (top 5) for waiting for the 05 to come out? I am about to buy the VSX-94TXH in the next couple of weeks and will try to get a better deal by also purchasing the BDP95-FD at the same time. I am not sure I want to wait for profile 1.1. That's why I would really appreciate your answers.

Thanks.

BR
post #189 of 4770 Old 01-15-2008, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrock66 View Post

Could someone give me a few justifications (top 5) for waiting for the 05 to come out? I am about to buy the VSX-94TXH in the next couple of weeks and will try to get a better deal by also purchasing the BDP95-FD at the same time. I am not sure I want to wait for profile 1.1. That's why I would really appreciate your answers.

Thanks.

BR

I'm not an expert, however I will try to give some good points.

1. It's a real 2nd generation machine. (History of know how in designing for better reliability)
2. The quick start (within 10 seconds) and turn off time.
3. 1.1 allows for picture in picture...this feature is on the disc, why not take advantage of it.
4. Price advantage from older models
5. Possibly better picture quality than older models.
6. Internal decoding of all audio formats

Not necessarily in that order....

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #190 of 4770 Old 01-15-2008, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post

1. It's a real 2nd generation machine. (History of know how in designing for better reliability)
3. 1.1 allows for picture in picture...this feature is on the disc, why not take advantage of it.
6. Internal decoding of all audio formats....

I think the big one is #6- "internal decoding of all audio formats" (especially the new HD formats). Although many of the new popular commercial-brand receivers (Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer Elite, Onkyo) have on-board decoding capability of these new HD codecs. However many processors do not. I'm using the new NAD T175 surround processor whcih does not support (on-board) decoding of the new HD formats.
post #191 of 4770 Old 01-15-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

I think the big one is #6- "internal decoding of all audio formats" (especially the new HD formats). Although many of the new popular commercial-brand receivers (Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer Elite, Onkyo) have on-board decoding capability of these new HD codecs. However many processors do not. I'm using the new NAD T175 surround processor whcih does not support (on-board) decoding of the new HD formats.

Barnman, WestCoastD,

Thanks for your input! I agree with #6 but in my case, I am getting the VSX-94TXH that has all the codecs. As for the other points, let's say, I was able to get the the 95 at 800$ and this new one at 900$ (still unknown), would you pay the extra 100$ (and wait 4 months)?

Isn't the 95 1.1?

BR
post #192 of 4770 Old 01-15-2008, 03:44 PM

Sorry if it's been asked before but it isn't mentioned on the five first pages :
Does this new unit will at last feature SACD et DVD-A support ?
I don't really get why pioneer units don't feature these while the target is the same that bought SACD/DVD-A a few years ago...
post #193 of 4770 Old 01-15-2008, 04:30 PM
BLT

Quote:

Barnman, WestCoastD,

Thanks for your input! I agree with #6 but in my case, I am getting the VSX-94TXH that has all the codecs. As for the other points, let's say, I was able to get the the 95 at 800$ and this new one at 900$ (still unknown), would you pay the extra 100$ (and wait 4 months)?

Isn't the 95 1.1?

BR

I could be wrong on this but I think you might be able to get the 05FD cheaper than the 95 when it first came out.Since you are getting the 94TXH (which I have by the way) its really up to you if you want a player now or can wait a while.The 95 isn't 1.1

Cheers:

Bob
post #194 of 4770 Old 01-15-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

Are you actually using the Panasonic DMP-BD30K right now? If so how is performance? Also, why are you even concerned with getting the profile 2.0 Pioneer Elite?

Yes, I am using the BD30K right now...I love it...Performance is great! zero problems and I have 350 BR movies... I just really like Pioneer Products and I will buy a 2.0 when it comes out as long as the load times are fast.
post #195 of 4770 Old 01-15-2008, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHDMan View Post

Yes, I am using the BD30K right now...I love it...Performance is great! zero problems and I have 350 BR movies... I just really like Pioneer Products and I will buy a 2.0 when it comes out as long as the load times are fast.

wow! you actually have 350 BluRay titles? Do they even have that many?

Yeah, one of my local dealers, in the Pasadena area (The Sound Factor), totally raves about the BDP-95FD. They claim it has the best video quality they've seen (for BluRay). Also says they can't meet current demand.
post #196 of 4770 Old 01-15-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT View Post

I could be wrong on this but I think you might be able to get the 05FD cheaper than the 95 when it first came out.Since you are getting the 94TXH (which I have by the way) its really up to you if you want a player now or can wait a while.The 95 isn't 1.1

Cheers:

Bob

Bob,

Just had a blonde moment I guess. Of course, it's not 1.1 that's the title of the thread... Thanks. Could you PM me with your thought on the 94TXH? Thanks!

BR
post #197 of 4770 Old 01-15-2008, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Barnman, WestCoastD,

Isn't the 95 1.1?

BR

Seems like two of the questions have been answered about the price version of the 95. About waiting the four months...that is a question that is very individual choice. Personally I have not yet bought any Blu-ray player as I'm waiting for 2.0. I would also like the unit to play DVD-Audio and SACD. There is a chance that the new player with the 2.0 features MIGHT also have DVD-Audio and SACD capability...though that won't be out till more towards the end of this year. For me the waiting is worth it and in the meantime, I have been buying Blu-ray titles for when I do get the unit, I'll have a nice little collection of titles to choose from. Currently I have 32 Blu-ray titles and I feel very fortunate that the title wave of support is leaning heavy on the Blu-ray side.

Currently I get MGM-HD and HDNet Movies on DirecTV so I'm able to at least I have a lot of HD movies to choose from. Sure, the titles on Blu-ray would be much better in in audio and video quality department, so I'm finding it hard to wait. I'm very busy too, so it makes it easier to wait...

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #198 of 4770 Old 01-16-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:

Seems like two of the questions have been answered about the price version of the 95. About waiting the four months...that is a question that is very individual choice. Personally I have not yet bought any Blu-ray player as I'm waiting for 2.0. I would also like the unit to play DVD-Audio and SACD. There is a chance that the new player with the 2.0 features MIGHT also have DVD-Audio and SACD capability...though that won't be out till more towards the end of this year. For me the waiting is worth it and in the meantime, I have been buying Blu-ray titles for when I do get the unit, I'll have a nice little collection of titles to choose from. Currently I have 32 Blu-ray titles and I feel very fortunate that the title wave of support is leaning heavy on the Blu-ray side.

Currently I get MGM-HD and HDNet Movies on DirecTV so I'm able to at least I have a lot of HD movies to choose from. Sure, the titles on Blu-ray would be much better in in audio and video quality department, so I'm finding it hard to wait. I'm very busy too, so it makes it easier to wait...

I am saying four months but here in Canada, it might be even more. I was going through all the BDP-95 posts and it appeared that it took another month to get them in Canada. So, we've only had the 95 since November (or at least from what I've read).

People in this thread keep asking about DVD-A and SACD. I didn't ask but had the same question in mind. Why is it that when new technology comes along (in this case Blu and HD) it always seems that we take a step back with other features that we had in past models and then incremently, they come back. I bought a cheapo 99$ Panasonic DVD player for 129$ that had both SACD and DVD-A. Now I'm entertaining the idea of getting one of the BDP's at about 900$ and these 2 important features are not included.

Note to manufacturers: We don't like the way consumers are taken advantage of! Yes, I know I'll get replies stating that it is not a mandatory feature and there are issues funneling all this info through HDMI. I don't think that people buying this high-end player would have complained about an addition 100$ (10%). Was is that the marketplace had to see that magical three digit price (999$)? Most of us buying such a player have already invested in SACD and DVD-A software. Come on guys, get with it, this is the market that you're targeting! I'll get off my soap box now...

BR
post #199 of 4770 Old 01-16-2008, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderGallagher View Post

Sorry if it's been asked before but it isn't mentioned on the five first pages :
Does this new unit will at last feature SACD et DVD-A support ?
I don't really get why pioneer units don't feature these while the target is the same that bought SACD/DVD-A a few years ago...

No, the 05FD is not targeted to playback either SACD or DVDA, but I hear a future Pioneer BD player will.....

Just enjoy HD in whatever form you can (Sat, Cable, D-VHS, OTA, HD DVD, or BD).
post #200 of 4770 Old 01-16-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:

I'm not an expert, however I will try to give some good points.

6. Internal decoding of all audio formats

Not necessarily in that order....

A few other thoughts/arguments occurred to me. I'll recap a few and add to it. If any of my assumptions are wrong or unfounded, please chime in!

1. The Bitstreaming is okay for me (getting the VSX-94). Internal decoding not an issue. Is bitstreaming more robust between components than decoded? Arguments?
2. Quick start is not really that big of a deal. I'm used to waiting; I also have a Pio DV-400 and it's slow. My Sony DVP-995V is a dog too.
3. PIP is not a bid deal to me. Remember "Camera Angles"? The CARS BD is promising though...
4. Subtitle location could be an issue. We use subtitles a lot (to learn different languages). Will this be an issue? Depends on the movie I guess. Hmmm, something to think about.
5. Better picture? Maybe... Could it be worse? Maybe...
6. A good chance that the Ethernet Port will be gone on the 05. Not a biggie though ('cause I'm getting the VSX94-TXH).
7. Better price? Yes, maybe by 100$ (MSRP vs MSRP). Right now the 95 goes for much less than MSRP. On top of that, I get 5 movies (5 x 25$ = 125$ ballpark). So I figure that the 95 will cost me much less and I don't have to wait.
8. Possible availability in Canada in April/May/June (guess). Anyone?
9. New software issues to contend with on the 05. Yes, there will be!
10. Commitment from Pioneer to release better firmware for the 95 should improve any non-essential lag issues.

I guess that's all I could come up with. How do you feel about the center loading versus the left side? Any good arguments other than aesthetics?

Thanks for your help!

BR
post #201 of 4770 Old 01-16-2008, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Hi Everyone,

I really wish I could answer all of your questions... I actually got in trouble to revealing too much info at CES...

I can tell you that that the BDP-05FD should be worth the wait.. We started from scratch on this player.. It does not use a single piece of software that was used on the current players...

We are paying an extreme amount of attention to the audio section this year as well.

Also, the construction of the unit is top notch, I will post some pics of the BDP-05FD and BDP-95FD next to each other...

While I cannot share any details we will of course have a BD Live model as well....

I am still trying to see if I can release some additional information prior to May...

And Lastly, to the guy with 350 Titles, I received my 512th BD title today........One of the advantages to have a Pioneer Budget....lol

Thanks,

Chris Walker
post #202 of 4770 Old 01-16-2008, 04:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 166
OK release date?

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #203 of 4770 Old 01-16-2008, 04:26 PM

Chris,

I am okay to assume that I will not see this unit until June/July in Canada?

Thanks!

BR
post #204 of 4770 Old 01-16-2008, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

thanks chris. hopefully "attention to the audio section" means flexibility in speaker distance settings and LFE adjustments for us old analog-ers. i also don't know much about the Elite blu-ray upcaling department. what's that going to be like on the 05?
post #205 of 4770 Old 01-16-2008, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

OK release date?

Dude you keep asking but they don't know yet.

Just enjoy HD in whatever form you can (Sat, Cable, D-VHS, OTA, HD DVD, or BD).
post #206 of 4770 Old 01-16-2008, 04:51 PM

Please let us know when and where we can preorder this I have been wanting a decently priced pioneer 1.1 player for a while now i went from a 59 to a 79 and have been waiting for a bd player to buy so i can move my ps3 to the bedroom.

HD-DVD COUNT:141
BLU-RAY:192
X360 GAMERTAG:trickygmoney80
post #207 of 4770 Old 01-16-2008, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoney80 View Post

Please let us know when and where we can preorder this I have been wanting a decently priced pioneer 1.1 player for a while now i went from a 59 to a 79 and have been waiting for a bd player to buy so i can move my ps3 to the bedroom.

I can tell you were you can order it now. That would be the Pioneer Store. Give Jeff a call. I am sure he is willing to take some money from you right now to hold one. Or as I had seen earlier in this post send him a blank check to hold onto. If this player is anything like the 95 in the begining they will be very hard to get.

And Chris thanks for the updates.

The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for theirs.
General George Patton
post #208 of 4770 Old 01-16-2008, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkamo View Post

Hi Everyone,

I really wish I could answer all of your questions... I actually got in trouble to revealing too much info at CES...

I can tell you that that the BDP-05FD should be worth the wait.. We started from scratch on this player.. It does not use a single piece of software that was used on the current players...

We are paying an extreme amount of attention to the audio section this year as well.

Also, the construction of the unit is top notch, I will post some pics of the BDP-05FD and BDP-95FD next to each other...

While I cannot share any details we will of course have a BD Live model as well....

I am still trying to see if I can release some additional information prior to May...

And Lastly, to the guy with 350 Titles, I received my 512th BD title today........One of the advantages to have a Pioneer Budget....lol

Thanks,

Chris Walker

As usual, thanks so much for your information Chris.

Dan

Go Celtics!
post #209 of 4770 Old 01-16-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMan34 View Post

As usual, thanks so much for your information Chris.

Dan

I echo the thanks of so many here for your information Chris, and I am waiting patiently for the new player. Be careful brother I wouldn't want you to get into any more trouble, so only give us what you can. In the meantime I'll just continue enjoying my 95.
post #210 of 4770 Old 01-16-2008, 07:22 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson57 View Post

I echo the thanks of so many here for your information Chris, and I am waiting patiently for the new player. Be careful brother I wouldn't want you to get into any more trouble, so only give us what you can. In the meantime I'll just continue enjoying my 95.

Ditto. Can you provide us with the dimensions so I can start my rack planning? I have an HD1 now, so if you tell me it is the same size, that's good enough for me.

Mark
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page