Sony XBR1 + PS3 Blu-Ray = Fail? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 01-16-2008, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All, I am having some problems with my new PS3 as a Blu-Ray player.

I have one of the Sony XBR1 60 inch. Yeah, the one that doesn't accept a 1080p signal, even though the sales people where touting it as future proof 1080p TV. Maybe I should have done some more research at the time, but when a TV says on the box 1080p display, I guess I thought I could use 1080p signal.

Anyway, I just got a PS3, the main reason being that I had decided to finally get a BRD player, and I had always planned on getting a PS3 for gaming.

I am completely underwhelmed by how it looks. I have fiddled with all the PS3 settings, and all my TVs settings, and I cant make it look good. I only have two BR movies right now. 300 and Resident Evil Extinction. Both movies are extremely noisy. Picture noise that is. Even if I crank up the TVs noise reduction, I still get an amazing amount. It looks like some one put the sharpness up to about 200%. Its almost a deal breaker for me. I have read a bunch of posts here with people saying they cant see really any difference between the XBR1 1080i upscaling and a XBR2 1080p, but the movies really don't look right. It is NOTHING like the image you see on the demo TVs on display in Best Buy and Circuit City (I know those are not very good baromiters, but still). The only way I can make the noise go away is to set the PS3 to only play in 720p, but then the image gets more blurry, and I see no real difference from watching a normal DVD, so whats the point of BRD if I have to do that.

Please please please help. I am at my wits end with this. I am also very frustrated that I learned yesterday my TV wont take 1080p.

Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-16-2008, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

I would suggest viewing additional reference movies before condeming the tv and player. I think the grain and noise in both movies is intentional since they are adapted from comic books and video games. although I am no expert.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=858316

I have the same set and ps3. From what I have read on this site, the XBR1 will pass all the tests for 1080p deinterlacing. Except for the fact the XBR1 will not do 24P.

Thats not a big deal to me as the image is still looks great to me ten feet away sitting on the couch.

View a couple tier one titles before you make your final decision.

RJW
post #3 of 16 Old 01-17-2008, 10:54 AM

I dont have a PS3, but I do have a 1080p pioneer on the same set, and you should try setting your PS3 to 1080i, also how are you hooking up your PS3.

Kevin

post #4 of 16 Old 01-17-2008, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry I didnt specify.

I have it hooked up via HDMI, and in the settings I have 480p, 720p and 1080i all checked.

I checked that thread and 300 is rated:

Quote:

Demo Material, but minor artifacting may be present which the untrained eye may not necessarily spot. Little if any visible compression. Sharp image that has a lot of HD-POP effects. If you are thinking about buying a movie in this tier don't hesitate. Show someone one of these films and they'll want to join the Blu side!

This is not what I'm seeing. I get a lot of image noise. A LOT. And it moves, so it almost looks like static. I dont see it on close ups of stuff, but in the background it is very pronounced. Like the sky or skin are the worst. It looks like tiny bugs are crawling all over. Film grain I can understand, but this just looks wrong.

When I put 300 in for my friends, we all looked at each other and sort of went "Ok, this cant be right". Not some thing I would want to show off as my new expensive toy, thats for sure.

I did some more forum reading over the net, and I managed to clean it up a little bit by turning noise reduction off, and setting "sharpening" to 0. But its still not a "omg amazing picture". In fact my HD cable channels all look much cleaner and don't have the noise.

Right now I would say that my Blu-Ray image seems about on par with a DVD being played on the Xbox 360. Maybe just a tiny bit more crisp for close up images. Also, normal DVDs dont look very good on the PS3. The xbox 360 connected via component looks better. I tried Xmen2 and 300 in normal DVD, and Xmen was passable but not great, 300 was HORRIBLE. It was almost unwatchable on the PS3 I had an amazing about of artifacting, and every thing had the "halo" effect of an image being blown up to big.
Could the PS3 be downgrading my signal, and since I have an XBR, the TV be upconverting the downgraded signal? Thats the only thing I can think of thats making 300 DVD look so horrible.

I am going to swing by Blockbuster and try and pick up some of the Blu rated movies from that list and check more tonight, but seeing as 300 was a Gold rated movie, I am not hopeful.
post #5 of 16 Old 01-17-2008, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rup3t View Post

Hello All, I am having some problems with my new PS3 as a Blu-Ray player.

I have one of the Sony XBR1 60 inch. Yeah, the one that doesn't accept a 1080p signal, even though the sales people where touting it as future proof 1080p TV. Maybe I should have done some more research at the time, but when a TV says on the box 1080p display, I guess I thought I could use 1080p signal.

Anyway, I just got a PS3, the main reason being that I had decided to finally get a BRD player, and I had always planned on getting a PS3 for gaming.

I am completely underwhelmed by how it looks. I have fiddled with all the PS3 settings, and all my TVs settings, and I cant make it look good. I only have two BR movies right now. 300 and Resident Evil Extinction. Both movies are extremely noisy. Picture noise that is. Even if I crank up the TVs noise reduction, I still get an amazing amount. It looks like some one put the sharpness up to about 200%. Its almost a deal breaker for me. I have read a bunch of posts here with people saying they cant see really any difference between the XBR1 1080i upscaling and a XBR2 1080p, but the movies really don't look right. It is NOTHING like the image you see on the demo TVs on display in Best Buy and Circuit City (I know those are not very good baromiters, but still). The only way I can make the noise go away is to set the PS3 to only play in 720p, but then the image gets more blurry, and I see no real difference from watching a normal DVD, so whats the point of BRD if I have to do that.

Please please please help. I am at my wits end with this. I am also very frustrated that I learned yesterday my TV wont take 1080p.

Thanks so much.

300 had grain artificially added for the intended look the director wanted.
post #6 of 16 Old 01-17-2008, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

...It is NOTHING like the image you see on the demo TVs on display in Best Buy and Circuit City (I know those are not very good baromiters, but still)...

You'll need one of the new LCDs with 120Hz refresh and Motionflow/AMP. These are the TVs used in the big-box stores as they have that dramatic look to them.

Here are a couple of discussions on the topic.
Picture Quality of my Pirates is not as good as Best Buy. Why?
Why does Blu-Ray look Better in Best buy and not on my TV?

Yo mama so fat, time slow when she near.
post #7 of 16 Old 01-17-2008, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I read both those threads after making this. My problem is that the image is not clean. At all. Its not that it doesn't pop the same way the display models do, its that the images isnt crisp or clean or clear.

I think I am going to try and take a picture to post but I dont know how it will come out. Can the PS3 take a screenshot?

My image is really really noisy. Its not like film gain noise ether. Its constantly moving like lots of little bugs. Its really annoying when trying to watch a movie.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-17-2008, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 202
My set-up consists of PS3 20GB and a Sony KDS-R50XBR1. The picture is fantastic through HDMI. Post some pics when you have a chance. Even though the XBR1's don't accept 1080p don't be fooled, what you are seeing is 1080p. The XBR1 has great de-interlacing, there would be no improvement in picture quality if fed 1080p. Trust me.

Dolby Atmos/DTS:X 5.2.4
Samsung 65JS8500 (calibrated by Gregg Loewen); Marantz SR6010 + Onkyo M-5010; Oppo UDP-203; Apple TV (4th Gen); PS4; Definitive Technology BP-8060ST, CS-8060HD, SR-8040BP, ProMonitor 800; SVS PC12-NSD (2)
post #9 of 16 Old 01-17-2008, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah, I read both those threads after making this. My problem is that the image is not clean. At all. Its not that it doesn't pop the same way the display models do, its that the images isnt crisp or clean or clear.

I think I am going to try and take a picture to post but I dont know how it will come out. Can the PS3 take a screenshot?

My image is really really noisy. Its not like film gain noise ether. Its constantly moving like lots of little bugs. Its really annoying when trying to watch a movie.

You have compared other sources running component video vs the PS3 running HDMI. Have you tried other sources feeding the HDMI input?
Have you tried a different HDMI cable?

post #10 of 16 Old 01-17-2008, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
^^^
Same here, PS3 60GB and a Sony KDS-R50XBR1, everything looks great.
Maybe post up your settings for tv and ps3.
post #11 of 16 Old 01-17-2008, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

I have the Xbox 360 via component that I was using for all my DVD watching, but it Red Ringed on me the day before I got my PS3. I do watch a lot of movies on it though, and I pay attention to image quality. The Xbox360 playing DVDs was a little (read tiny bit) less crisp on close ups, but much less noisy. Basically the best way to describe it would be that if you have an image with some ones face in the foreground, everything in the background looks like it has pixel sized bugs crawling all over it, so it gives a constant feeling of movement in the background only.

I dont have any other HDMI stuff, so I cant test. I also dont have another HDMI cable. Games look pretty damn good though, so I dont think its the connection but the BRD/TV settings.

I'm going to do more testing tonight with some more movies, also I will make note of what settings I am using.
post #12 of 16 Old 01-17-2008, 04:04 PM

post your settings on the ps3 hdmi input you have, and i'll compare them to mine. i had mine (same tv hooked up to ps3) calibrated, and the picture is drop dead gorgeous.
post #13 of 16 Old 01-17-2008, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have the Xbox 360 via component that I was using for all my DVD watching, but it Red Ringed on me the day before I got my PS3. I do watch a lot of movies on it though, and I pay attention to image quality. The Xbox360 playing DVDs was a little (read tiny bit) less crisp on close ups, but much less noisy. Basically the best way to describe it would be that if you have an image with some ones face in the foreground, everything in the background looks like it has pixel sized bugs crawling all over it, so it gives a constant feeling of movement in the background only.

I dont have any other HDMI stuff, so I cant test. I also dont have another HDMI cable. Games look pretty damn good though, so I dont think its the connection but the BRD/TV settings.

I'm going to do more testing tonight with some more movies, also I will make note of what settings I am using.

If your settings experiments yield no improvements, buy a component video cable for the PS3 (~$20) and connect it to a known-good input. If it doesn't help, return it, as the problem is probably with the PS3. If it does help, you have something wonky going on with your HDMI path. A little voice in the back of my head is whispering, "bad HDMI cable".

post #14 of 16 Old 01-17-2008, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 182
The 300 Bd does have a fair bit of background grain/noise but from what you are describing, it sounds like you’re sitting too close to the tv. I strongly suggest you try a different movie tier blue if possible and let us know how it looks. I usually sit 12-13 feet away from my 60xbr1 and the grain rarely bothers me.
post #15 of 16 Old 01-17-2008, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
probably the TV, my dad has a couple year old 40" xbr and i've been telling him it's a pos since day 1 (tried to get it looking good against my multiple plasmas over the years)
post #16 of 16 Old 01-17-2008, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It is intentional. 300 is a very grainy movie. It was like that in the theaters too. I suggest you pick up a copy of Ratatouille or another animated film. They look amazing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page