Panasonic 10A and Onkyo 605 Bass Issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-17-2008, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just bought a Onkyo 605 to replace my Kenwood VR-7070. I had my Panny 10A connected to the Kenwood via 5.1 analog outs for high rez audio. After hooking up the Onkyo last night via HDMI (video/audio) I noticed on Reign of Fire BD that when Matthew shoots the dragon, the subwoofer doesn't pack the same bunch as before w/ the analog to the Kenwood. Am I missing something? I have floor standing front speakers and 3-way bookshelf surround speakers. Is it the crossover freq in the receiver or something I can set in the Panny? I ran the setup in the Onkyo but had to make some manual adjustments. Should analog outs pack a lower bunch to the subwoofer? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-17-2008, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach View Post

I just bought a Onkyo 605 to replace my Kenwood VR-7070. I had my Panny 10A connected to the Kenwood via 5.1 analog outs for high rez audio. After hooking up the Onkyo last night via HDMI (video/audio) I noticed on Reign of Fire BD that when Matthew shoots the dragon, the subwoofer doesn't pack the same bunch as before w/ the analog to the Kenwood. Am I missing something? I have floor standing front speakers and 3-way bookshelf surround speakers. Is it the crossover freq in the receiver or something I can set in the Panny? I ran the setup in the Onkyo but had to make some manual adjustments. Should analog outs pack a lower bunch to the subwoofer? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Panny has an "LFE BUG" which for some reason outputs the lfe channel -6 decibles lower than what it should. This happens on PCM tracks or whenever it decodes anything to PCM. It happens on analogs and HDMI. They are aware of the problem and will fix it if its possible. It may be hardware related, so we may be out of luck...
The best you can do for now is to boost your sub up when playing PCM tracks.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-17-2008, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I thought the PCM problem was with the Panny BD30. I have had tremendous bass with my Panny 10A and Kenwood receiver via analog outs. The Onkyo 605 via HDMI, not so much. Is there a setting somewhere on the receiver or player?
post #4 of 8 Old 01-17-2008, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the quick reply. I thought the PCM problem was with the Panny BD30. I have had tremendous bass with my Panny 10A and Kenwood receiver via analog outs. The Onkyo 605 via HDMI, not so much. Is there a setting somewhere on the receiver or player?

Heres my old thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&highlight=lfe

The only option is to boost the sub...

There could be other setup issues in your receiver also..
Make sure all delays are 0 and sizes are set to large in the player, than set the proper settings on your receiver(small or large speakers,delays, etc...).
post #5 of 8 Old 01-17-2008, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

Heres my old thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&highlight=lfe

The only option is to boost the sub...

There could be other setup issues in your receiver also..
Make sure all delays are 0 and sizes are set to large in the player, than set the proper settings on your receiver(small or large speakers,delays, etc...).

Thanks!
post #6 of 8 Old 01-17-2008, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. I ran the Audessy last night and while it got speaker distances right, etc (pretty amazing), I didn't care for the sound or lack of bass after it ran. I have floor standing fronts and 3-way bookshelf surrounds. It set the front to full-band but I have heard others say you should set the crossover higher to force the more use of the sub. Thoughts?

I just read your post here on another thread.
You can try setting your speakers to small(check your speaker specs for proper setting).
Just boost your sub level up +6 untill there is a fix. And make sure everything is set to PCM in the player(this will than output all audio at an equal level).

You are using HDMI right?
post #7 of 8 Old 01-17-2008, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

I just read your post here on another thread.
You can try setting your speakers to small(check your speaker specs for proper setting).
Just boost your sub level up +6 untill there is a fix. And make sure everything is set to PCM in the player(this will than output all audio at an equal level).

You are using HDMI right?

Definitely HDMI. I was using analogs with another receiver (Kenwood VR7070) and the Panny 10A and the bass was tremendous. This is the first use of HDMI audio and it happens to be with the Onkyo 605. I read your .lfe thread. Great info! Setting speakers to "small" on the 605 would mean crossover frequencies of 100? or 80? I will go in tonight and increase the sub by +6. However, on your recommended thread someone stated that this will only increase the overall sub volume that is being redirected from the speakers and not necessarily the .lfe channel. It looks like I may need to get the Panny 30 to decode the DTHD and DTSMA so I can switch the player to bitstream. PCM tracks will still suffer I guess. Thanks for the great info!
post #8 of 8 Old 01-17-2008, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Definitely HDMI. I was using analogs with another receiver (Kenwood VR7070) and the Panny 10A and the bass was tremendous. This is the first use of HDMI audio and it happens to be with the Onkyo 605. I read your .lfe thread. Great info! Setting speakers to "small" on the 605 would mean crossover frequencies of 100? or 80? I will go in tonight and increase the sub by +6. However, on your recommended thread someone stated that this will only increase the overall sub volume that is being redirected from the speakers and not necessarily the .lfe channel. It looks like I may need to get the Panny 30 to decode the DTHD and DTSMA so I can switch the player to bitstream. PCM tracks will still suffer I guess. Thanks for the great info!

It will increase the LFE and redirected bass(not perfect, but thats all we can do for now).
The BD30 would be a better match for your receiver. Or you could wait for the BD50 at this point.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page