post #361 of 693 Old 03-12-2008, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstpaul View Post

thanks!

it said something about hurting my speakers so i was apprehensive about turning it on. how will i know if my reciever doesnt except one or both of the settings? i suppose ill hear nothing? the reciever is SACD compatible, does this tell you anything?

You can always turn down the volume when trying it. My receiver just went silent with the higher rate. Not related to SACD, as far as I know.

Aimez-vous basketball?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 693 Old 03-12-2008, 07:14 PM

also, im trying to figure out whether or not to have the ps3 on linear PCM or bitstream.

on Linear PCM setting, why does the ps3 say truehd while the reciever say Pro Logic II. it sounds like less compression(digital signal), b/c i can turn the volume up without i being to over bearing. much like i can w/ my hd dvd player (which will say its playing truehd while the reciever is saying its getting a digital signal in dolby digital)

on Bitstream the ps3 no longer says it is outputing truehd (it says dobly digital even tho i selected truehd) and the reciever say Dobly digital. and it sounds like dobly digital, if i keep it at the same volume that i have it on when i set the ps3 to linear pcm itll blow your ears out.

i guess im wondering if the reciever is just confused when on pcm and it says Pro Logic II and its really send out a digital signal (not quite truehd, but a notch above dolby digital)?

What do we have for entertainment? Cops kickin gypsies on the pavementÂ
post #363 of 693 Old 03-12-2008, 07:18 PM

Im also noticing jitters in the picture while watching spider man 3 even though im running at 1080P24hz.??? this is something that complete zanished with HD DVD at 1080P24hz. do i have something set wrong in the settings? or is it the bluray disc?

What do we have for entertainment? Cops kickin gypsies on the pavementÂ
post #364 of 693 Old 03-18-2008, 07:35 AM

Last night I was downloading Firmware Version 2.17 on my 60GB PS3 and while it was downloading I was attempting to clean up some wires so I moved the surge protector and accidentally unplugged it from the wall right in the middle of the download. I restarted the PS3 back up and downloaded the Firmware and loaded it and everything "seems" to be ok, but I have not had time to go through everything. I have heard this can crash a PS3. Is there anything I can check to make sure everything is still A-OK or clean up, etc.? Any help would be appreciate. Thanks
post #365 of 693 Old 03-18-2008, 07:41 AM

Optical bitstream from PS3, this is what you get:

DTS = DTS 758 kbps
DTSHD-MA = DTS core 1.5 kbps
DD = DD 448/640 kbps
TRUHD = DD Hidden track 640 kbps
2.0 - 7.1PCM = 2.0 PCM

PLUS ANY POST PROCESSING YOU HAVE THE RECEIVER DO.

2.0 PCM over optical sounds louder but not nesscessarily better.

NOTE: When watching BD the default track could be anything, so always check & set it before playing.
NOTE: Optical is ALWAYS from the PS3 to Receiver. Not TV to Receiver.

RECEIVER CONNECTION:
>>>>OPTICAL = BITSTREAM ON PS3 PCM = 2.0 TRUHD NOT POSSIBLE.

>>>>HDMI = BITSTREAM ON PS3 WILL SEND ALL (EXCECPT TRUHD)
AND LET MOST RECEIVERS DO POST PROCESSING.

>>>>HDMI = PCM ON PS3 ONLY NEEDED FOR TRUHD (AND DTSHD-MA
WHEN AVAILABLE)
post #366 of 693 Old 03-18-2008, 08:58 AM

So let me see if I understand this.

I'm running my PS3 to my Pio 5080 via HDMI for video, then running opto to my Yami RX-V659 for audio.

I'm just listening/watching in stereo right now (2.1 actually).

So should I be set to linear PCM right now? I believe that's where I have it set. Both CD and DVD playback seems to be working properly.

Thanks,
Eric
post #367 of 693 Old 03-18-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itbvolks View Post

So let me see if I understand this.

I'm running my PS3 to my Pio 5080 via HDMI for video, then running opto to my Yami RX-V659 for audio.

I'm just listening/watching in stereo right now (2.1 actually).

So should I be set to linear PCM right now? I believe that's where I have it set. Both CD and DVD playback seems to be working properly.

Thanks,
Eric

Optical is always bitstream. Set all PS3 audio choices to bitstream, this lets your receiver do any post processing.

NOTE:
OPTICAL is always from the PS3 to the receiver, not TV to receiver.
post #368 of 693 Old 03-18-2008, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLIANCE68 View Post

Optical is always bitstream. Set all PS3 audio choices to bitstream, this lets your receiver do any post processing.

NOTE:

Usually I would say bitstream for optical out, because it would allow discrete multichannel sound as opposed to 2-channel sound. However, he said he was just listening in stereo for now. In that case, he should use PCM because then he could still benefit from lossless audio (although in 2 channels).
post #369 of 693 Old 03-18-2008, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrexl View Post

Usually I would say bitstream for optical out, because it would allow discrete multichannel sound as opposed to 2-channel sound. However, he said he was just listening in stereo for now. In that case, he should use PCM because then he could still benefit from lossless audio (although in 2 channels).

I think he is getting stereo, because he has his optical coming from the tv instead of the PS3. Thus my note; why would you listen to a dvd in stereo? And a CD would show up as stereo in optical.
post #370 of 693 Old 03-18-2008, 10:40 AM

Sorry for the confusion.

Opto is from my PS3 to the AVR. My system seems to default to "2-channel stereo" no matter what the source content is. Wondering if this is because of how my PS3 is configured?

Trying to get a handle on things here. TIA for the help.

Eric
post #371 of 693 Old 03-18-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:

Sorry for the confusion.

Opto is from my PS3 to the AVR. My system seems to default to "2-channel stereo" no matter what the source content is. Wondering if this is because of how my PS3 is configured?

Trying to get a handle on things here. TIA for the help.

Eric

Quote:

NOTE:

Read above. Go into the PS3 settings and change any audio settings to bitstream. You have to do this for AUDIO device setting and BD/DVD settings.
post #372 of 693 Old 03-18-2008, 11:01 AM

I'm only running a 2-speaker system plus my sub right now (hence the stereo config).

What I'm trying to determine is, is there a better way to listen DVD/BD's than in stereo. Obviously, no matter what the processing, it'll still be stereo out at this point but I'm not sure how things are decoded depending on there settings.
post #373 of 693 Old 03-18-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:

I'm only running a 2-speaker system plus my sub right now (hence the stereo config).

What I'm trying to determine is, is there a better way to listen DVD/BD's than in stereo. Obviously, no matter what the processing, it'll still be stereo out at this point but I'm not sure how things are decoded depending on there settings.

Try and get your self at least one more speaker(any speaker will do) so you at least get a centre channel.
post #374 of 693 Old 03-18-2008, 11:16 AM

lol, I'm working on it.

I'm actually retooling for all AV123 X-Statik/X-Voce stuff. Just waiting for them to get produced and shipped. So for now, I'm running what I have hanging around. Just trying to get my PS3 configured properly.
post #375 of 693 Old 03-18-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:

lol, I'm working on it.

I'm actually retooling for all AV123 X-Statik/X-Voce stuff. Just waiting for them to get produced and shipped. So for now, I'm running what I have hanging around. Just trying to get my PS3 configured properly.

Thats why I said any speaker, it is just for better sound seperation until you upgrade.
post #376 of 693 Old 03-18-2008, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nremdn View Post

Last night I was downloading Firmware Version 2.17 on my 60GB PS3 and while it was downloading I was attempting to clean up some wires so I moved the surge protector and accidentally unplugged it from the wall right in the middle of the download. I restarted the PS3 back up and downloaded the Firmware and loaded it and everything "seems" to be ok, but I have not had time to go through everything. I have heard this can crash a PS3. Is there anything I can check to make sure everything is still A-OK or clean up, etc.? Any help would be appreciate. Thanks

Sounds like you were lucky and unplugged the PS3 while it was still downloading the FW and before it started installing it. I think if there was a problem you'd know it.

Pics from my TV here and here.
post #377 of 693 Old 03-20-2008, 05:13 PM

Hi,

Like many here, I am getting a little confused about the audio side of things.
I'm submitting this post just to make sure that I have understood correctly.

Before I continue, let me thank those who actively participate in these forums...
simply brilliant.

OK... it's my understanding, that DTS-HD MA / Dolby TrueHD deliver kick ass 7.1 sound
and ideally your Bluray player needs to "focus" on the picture side of things and pass
off the sound processing to your receiver, which "focuses" on the sound side. For
example:

+---------------+---------------+---------------+
| | VIDEO | SOUND |
| BLURAY PLR | PROCESS | PASS-THRU |
| RECEIVER | PASSTHRU | PROCESS |

In order to achieve this:
1) Your equip. needs to be connected in the following fashion:
BLURAY PLR >>>hdmi>>> RECEIVER >>>hdmi>>> HDTV
2) Your Bluray player needs to "LPCM" the audio through to the receiver.

I'm sure I have read in another post (either here on 'AVS Forum' or elsewhere) that one
of the additional benefits of doing this, is that with the new audio technology, the receiver can ensure that the picture and audio remain in sync (a current issue with standard DVD technology - my apologises to those who have never noticed this before and will now start seeing it for themselves! *grin*).

Now... back to the PS3... from what I understand, it's the LPCM side of things where the PS3 is lacking. Does anyone know whether the PS3 will ever be able to pass the audio through to your receiver - untouched - using LPCM in a future update, so we can get proper 7.1 sound!?

Can someone clear this up for me?

Cheers,

BuckoNZ
post #378 of 693 Old 03-20-2008, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckoNZ View Post

Hi,

Like many here, I am getting a little confused about the audio side of things.
I'm submitting this post just to make sure that I have understood correctly.

Before I continue, let me thank those who actively participate in these forums...
simply brilliant.

OK... it's my understanding, that DTS-HD MA / Dolby TrueHD deliver kick ass 7.1 sound
and ideally your Bluray player needs to "focus" on the picture side of things and pass
off the sound processing to your receiver, which "focuses" on the sound side. For
example:

| | VIDEO | SOUND |
| BLURAY PLR | PROCESS | PASS-THRU |
| RECEIVER | PASSTHRU | PROCESS |

In order to achieve this:
1) Your equip. needs to be connected in the following fashion:
BLURAY PLR >>>hdmi>>> RECEIVER >>>hdmi>>> HDTV
2) Your Bluray player needs to "LPCM" the audio through to the receiver.

I'm sure I have read in another post (either here on 'AVS Forum' or elsewhere) that one
of the additional benefits of doing this, is that with the new audio technology, the receiver can ensure that the picture and audio remain in sync (a current issue with standard DVD technology - my apologises to those who have never noticed this before and will now start seeing it for themselves! *grin*).

Now... back to the PS3... from what I understand, it's the LPCM side of things where the PS3 is lacking. Does anyone know whether the PS3 will ever be able to pass the audio through to your receiver - untouched - using LPCM in a future update, so we can get proper 7.1 sound!?

Can someone clear this up for me?

Cheers,

BuckoNZ

You're close, but what you're trying to say is that some people claim that it is best to have the AVR do the decoding of the audio codecs (True-HD and DTS-HD:MA). In order for the AVR to do this, the PS3 would have to bitstream the audio to the AVR. The PS3 can not bitstream these lossless codecs (though it can apparently bitstream PCM).

Instead, the PS3 decodes True-HD (and hopefully DTS-HD:MA in the near future) and sends it to the AVR via LPCM. This won't trigger the AVR's decoders so you'll never see the little True-HD light come on.

Truth be told, a decoding is a decoding and it doesn't matter if it's done in your PS3 or your AVR. Some people claim that the AVR does a better job, but that is most likely because the AVR is applying sound fields and other adjustments to the decoded signal. Many AVRs will allow you to apply the same sound fields to an already decoded LPCM signal that comes from the PS3.
post #379 of 693 Old 03-20-2008, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

off the sound processing to your receiver, which "focuses" on the sound side.

There are a few things that I think you misunderstand. DTS HD MA and TrueHD can deliver "kick ass 7.1 sound" but it's really all dependent on what's on the disc. The majority of movies are still 5.1. A receiver can matrix that into 7.1 but it's not truly discrete 7.1. The point of DTS HD MA and TrueHD are to deliver audio that is identical to the master. PCM does that as well. DTS HD MA and TrueHD are just compressed versions of PCM, but compressed so that there's no loss when uncompressed. It's akin to unzipping a .zip file. It shouldn't matter if the player or the receiver does the unzipping, you'll end up with the same thing. If the master was lackluster, so will be the TrueHD or DTS HD MA track.

As to your point about the player focusing on the video side of things and the receiver focusing on the audio side of things, in this situation the receiver focusing on the audio is akin to your display focusing on the video. The player sends the signals out to each where they're turned into a picture and sound.

If the player decodes it sends PCM to the receiver (assuming we're hooked up with HDMI.) If the receiver decodes, the player sends a bitstream to the receiver which then unpacks it and converts it into PCM. The receiver is still doing the digital to analog conversion.

I hope that helps.

post #380 of 693 Old 03-20-2008, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Also, I don't think the optional "lip sync" feature of HDMI 1.3 has anything to do with whether the player or receiver decodes the audio. It's simply a delay in the receiver based on how long it takes the display to process the video. It can also be adjusted manually.
post #381 of 693 Old 03-20-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugg77 View Post

You're close, but what you're trying to say is that some people claim that it is best to have the AVR do the decoding of the audio codecs (True-HD and DTS-HD:MA). In order for the AVR to do this, the PS3 would have to bitstream the audio to the AVR. The PS3 can not bitstream these lossless codecs (though it can apparently bitstream PCM).

Right... gotcha... so the PS3 has to bitstream the audio out to the receiver, in order for the amp to do the sound work.

Ok... so my question still stands... will the PS3 ever be able to bitstream or is this a limiation of the chasis/hardware and something that can't be fixed via firmware upgrade?

* Thanks to others with their thoughts as well *

Cheers,
BuckoNZ
post #382 of 693 Old 03-20-2008, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Right... gotcha... so the PS3 has to bitstream the audio out to the receiver, in order for the amp to do the sound work.

No. There's no "sound work" involved in decoding TrueHD or DTS HD MA into PCM, which is what your receiver would be doing if the PS3 could bitstream those codecs. Whether it happens in the PS3 or the receiver makes no difference. It's turning an encoded stream of 1s and 0s into a decoded stream of 1s and 0s. Your receiver is still applying whatever post processing you have asked it to do and is doing the "sound work" of converting those 1s and 0s into the analog signal that you hear.

The hardware in the PS3 doesn't support bitstreaming of TrueHD or DTS HD MA.

post #383 of 693 Old 03-20-2008, 11:45 PM

So what you are saying CHRIS0, is that as soon as the PS3 is able to handle DTS-HD MA, it's pretty much all you woudl need!? It's just that your receiver wouldn't show up on it's screen that you are listening to TureHD (for example), even though that's exactly what you would be listening too?
post #384 of 693 Old 03-21-2008, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So what you are saying CHRIS0, is that as soon as the PS3 is able to handle DTS-HD MA, it's pretty much all you woudl need!? It's just that your receiver wouldn't show up on it's screen that you are listening to TureHD (for example), even though that's exactly what you would be listening too?

Exactly. Now you've got it. It may even turn out to be an advantage to have the player do the decoding. As BD-Live becomes popular, more and more discs are likely to use Advanced Authoring. One use for that will be when you have the PIP commentary playing over the movie, the sound from the commentary will be overlayed onto the sound from the movie. That can't be done via bitstream since only one soundtrack can be bitstreamed at a time. That will have to be done in the player, which means you'd have to have a player that can do the decoding internally, like the PS3. I'm not sure how big a factor that will be since studios like to keep things backwards compatible for major extras and most BD players right now can't internally decode TrueHD and DTS HD MA, but it's on the near horizon.

post #385 of 693 Old 03-21-2008, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Chris, i read on here that PIP extras would not be in the advanced codecs, and to watch these "extras" the player would have to be set to a lower codec.
I like the PS3, havent jumped on it yet. Still not sure if i'd want this or a SA.
How difficult is it going through the menus to change the settings for different movies, SD or BD, and codecs... or is a one time set up?
post #386 of 693 Old 03-21-2008, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr330i View Post

Chris, i read on here that PIP extras would not be in the advanced codecs, and to watch these "extras" the player would have to be set to a lower codec.
I like the PS3, havent jumped on it yet. Still not sure if i'd want this or a SA.
How difficult is it going through the menus to change the settings for different movies, SD or BD, and codecs... or is a one time set up?

I believe if the player is set to pass the new codecs as bitstream (which the PS3 can't do), in that case the PiP audio has to be mixed with a lesser codec such as Dolby Digital. See, if it's set for bitstream output, it won't be mixing anything with the audio.

However, I think if the player is set to decode the audio (as the PS3 should be set when using HDMI for audio), it will mix the lossless audio with the PiP audio.

Setting it up for PCM output is a one-time thing in the PS3's menu. As for the discs, an audio selection, if not the default, has to be made each time you play the disc; there is no memory for tracks unfortunately. This is the case with any BD player, not just the PS3. You may as well get into the habit of checking the audio options every time you play a new disc.
post #387 of 693 Old 03-21-2008, 10:15 AM

IF YOU HAVE AN HDMI SET UP FROM YOUR PS3 TO YOUR RECEIVER AND IT IS CAPABLE. YOU SET IT TO BISTREAM OVER HDMI IT WILL SEND EVERYTHING BUT TRUHD.

Your receiver will show you EVERYTHING and be able to post process EVERYTHING. If desired. Or choose direct or pure to get it unaltered from the PS3.

What ever your source material is: GAME, SD DVD,CD,VCD,STREAMING,AND BLU. The PS3 can BITSTREAM IT!!!!!!!!!

TRUHD AND DTSHD-MA ARE FILES THAT NEED TO BE READ FIRST AND SENT AS PCM.
THE PS3 CAN'T SEND THE FILE SO MUST READ FIRST AND SEND AS PCM.

QUESTION??? Why can't it send TRUHD over bitstream if it can send pcm?
ANSWER!!!!! Because it can't see it. It is a file, It hasn't been changed into pcm yet.
post #388 of 693 Old 03-21-2008, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

IF YOU HAVE AN HDMI SET UP FROM YOUR PS3 TO YOUR RECEIVER AND IT IS CAPABLE. YOU SET IT TO BISTREAM OVER HDMI IT WILL SEND EVERYTHING BUT TRUHD.

Your receiver will show you EVERYTHING and be able to post process EVERYTHING. If desired. Or choose direct or pure to get it unaltered from the PS3.

What ever your source material is: GAME, SD DVD,CD,VCD,STREAMING,AND BLU. The PS3 can BITSTREAM IT!!!!!!!!!

TRUHD AND DTSHD-MA ARE FILES THAT NEED TO BE READ FIRST AND SENT AS PCM.
THE PS3 CAN'T SEND THE FILE SO MUST READ FIRST AND SEND AS PCM.

QUESTION??? Why can't it send TRUHD over bitstream if it can send pcm?
ANSWER!!!!! Because it can't see it. It is a file, It hasn't been changed into pcm yet.

Please don't confuse people if you have no understanding about what's going on.
post #389 of 693 Old 03-21-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Davis View Post

Please don't confuse people if you have no understanding about what's going on.

On where?

Optical bitstream from PS3, this is what you get:

DTS = DTS 758 kbps
DTSHD-MA = DTS core 1.5 kbps
DD = DD 448/640 kbps
TRUHD = DD Hidden track 640 kbps
2.0 - 7.1PCM = 2.0 PCM

PLUS ANY POST PROCESSING YOU HAVE THE RECEIVER DO.

2.0 PCM over optical sounds louder but not nesscessarily better.

NOTE: When watching BD the default track could be anything, so always check & set it before playing.
NOTE: Optical is ALWAYS from the PS3 to Receiver. Not TV to Receiver.

RECEIVER CONNECTION:
>>>>OPTICAL = BITSTREAM ON PS3 PCM = 2.0 TRUHD NOT POSSIBLE.

>>>>HDMI = BITSTREAM ON PS3 WILL SEND ALL (EXCECPT TRUHD)
AND LET MOST RECEIVERS DO POST PROCESSING.

>>>>HDMI = PCM ON PS3 ONLY NEEDED FOR TRUHD (AND DTSHD-MA
WHEN AVAILABLE)
post #390 of 693 Old 03-21-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0 View Post

Exactly. Now you've got it. It may even turn out to be an advantage to have the player do the decoding. As BD-Live becomes popular, more and more discs are likely to use Advanced Authoring. One use for that will be when you have the PIP commentary playing over the movie, the sound from the commentary will be overlayed onto the sound from the movie. That can't be done via bitstream since only one soundtrack can be bitstreamed at a time. That will have to be done in the player, which means you'd have to have a player that can do the decoding internally, like the PS3. I'm not sure how big a factor that will be since studios like to keep things backwards compatible for major extras and most BD players right now can't internally decode TrueHD and DTS HD MA, but it's on the near horizon.

So, it is all the same as far as sound is what I am understanding.... So for me using PS3 HDMI to Pioneer vsx92 regardless if it is sent PCM or Bitstream I would still have it decode and get TrueHD even though my receiver will not say it.

Now what I have read many times on this forum is that with my receiver using HDMI I would actually set the PS3 to bitstream everything except when playing TrueHD which then I would set PS3 to PCM as well as for DTS-HDMA when it is available.

However, it has also been stated to leave on PCM all the time. Why would I not want to bitstream what I can and toggle back and forth depending on the audio code.
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page