AVS Sony PS3 FAQ (PS3 used as a Blu-ray player) - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-27-2008, 11:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, I am looking at possibly getting a PS3 to be my first Blu-Ray player. I have read through bits of this thread and have gotten lots of information.

My question though is as a Blu-Ray player what specific things can the PS3 not do? The TV I have is the Sharp LC-32GP1U (though not sure if that information will change anything)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2008, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafountain View Post

OK, I am looking at possibly getting a PS3 to be my first Blu-Ray player. I have read through bits of this thread and have gotten lots of information.

My question though is as a Blu-Ray player what specific things can the PS3 not do? The TV I have is the Sharp LC-32GP1U (though not sure if that information will change anything)

Someone asked a similar question in the other PS3 thread. An answer was given (link) and there's a bit more discussion on the next page I think.

Pics from my TV here and here.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:48 PM

Thanks for the link.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for all your replies.
The PS 3 is plugged into a Monster power center. Sorry this next unit will be the fourth. The last unit did everything but recognize any disc put in it. The unit before that lost its video and sounded like a vacuum cleaner was in the room. The fan ran constantly. The first unit which was new lost ac.
Thanks,
Zaxdad
Old 03-28-2008, 05:31 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxdad View Post

Thanks for all your replies.
The PS 3 is plugged into a Monster power center. Sorry this next unit will be the fourth. The last unit did everything but recognize any disc put in it. The unit before that lost its video and sounded like a vacuum cleaner was in the room. The fan ran constantly. The first unit which was new lost ac.
Thanks,
Zaxdad

You should definetly escalate this beyond the CSR. You have been very patient and the least you should get is a brand new player. If I was the mgr I would also throw in some extras as well. Once you get past two failures it is time to step up in customer support.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large
Old 03-28-2008, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecrd View Post

You should definetly escalate this beyond the CSR. You have been very patient and the least you should get is a brand new player. If I was the mgr I would also throw in some extras as well. Once you get past two failures it is time to step up in customer support.

agreed.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

HI All.
I have a question(rant). We bought uor PS3 mid January. It lasted 2 weeks. We are now on our fourth replacement unit. It stopped working today. It won't recognize any disc inserted. When we got this replacement 3 days ago it said there was an update so I updated the firmware. This morning it updated the firmware again. They keep sending me refurbs as that is their policy. Tech support had me reformat the hard drive. We bought this as a BR player only and we've managed to watch 1 movie since mid January. Is there possibly some setting that tech support missed?
Sorry for the rant.
Thanks for any input,
Zaxdad

Don't you have a lemon law in your state?
Old 03-28-2008, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
HI All.
I have a question(rant). We bought uor PS3 mid January. It lasted 2 weeks. We are now on our fourth replacement unit. It stopped working today. It won't recognize any disc inserted. When we got this replacement 3 days ago it said there was an update so I updated the firmware. This morning it updated the firmware again. They keep sending me refurbs as that is their policy. Tech support had me reformat the hard drive. We bought this as a BR player only and we've managed to watch 1 movie since mid January. Is there possibly some setting that tech support missed?
Sorry for the rant.
Thanks for any input,
Zaxdad

My question is if the first PS3 lasted 2 weeks why wasn't it returned to the store for another new one instead of being sent to Sony for a refurb?

"Racing is........Life.......Everything before & after is just waiting"
Old 03-28-2008, 07:13 PM

I made the mistake of buying directly from Sony and sending in the UPC for the free discs. Never did receive the disks.
I can't seem to get past supervisors at Sony. If any one has a number I would sure appreciate it. I'm now disputing the charges with my credit card company. Also I just e-mailed our state attorney general to see if I have any recourse.

Zaxdad
Old 04-01-2008, 10:52 AM

Is the actual FAQ still being updated? It currently has some questions that oculd use an update:

Is the PS3 Profile 2.0 compatible?

NEW ANSWER: Yes.

OLD ANSWER: Not yet, but Sony has announced that it will be, via a firmware update.

Can I use my Harmony remote with the PS3?

NEW ANSWER:
There are several options available.

The best option is the IR2BT device, which accepts commands from a universal remote control and converts them into Bluetooth signals that the PS3 can process. The IR2BT is a complete solution (it supports all 51 buttons) and can turn the PS3 on/off. You can find more information on this device at http://ir2bt.com/.

There are two other options available (both of which require you to insert a USB IR receiver into one of the PS3 USB ports):

http://www.nyko.com/nyko/products/?i=113
http://www.schmartz.com/main.sc

OLD ANSWER:
Only if you use a USB IR adaptor:

What is "mosquito noise reduction"?

NEW ANSWER: No idea. Hoping someone can provide a detailed explanation of this.

OLD ANSWER: None.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deria View Post

Is the actual FAQ still being updated? It currently has some questions that oculd use an update:

Is the PS3 Profile 2.0 compatible?

NEW ANSWER: Yes.

OLD ANSWER: Not yet, but Sony has announced that it will be, via a firmware update.

Can I use my Harmony remote with the PS3?

NEW ANSWER:
There are several options available.

The best option is the IR2BT device, which accepts commands from a universal remote control and converts them into Bluetooth signals that the PS3 can process. The IR2BT is a complete solution (it supports all 51 buttons) and can turn the PS3 on/off. You can find more information on this device at http://ir2bt.com/.

There are two other options available (both of which require you to insert a USB IR receiver into one of the PS3 USB ports):

OLD ANSWER:
Only if you use a USB IR adaptor:

What is "mosquito noise reduction"?

NEW ANSWER: No idea. Hoping someone can provide a detailed explanation of this.

OLD ANSWER: None.

Not to mention an update of the Audio chart so we can definitively know if the PS3 converts 7.1 TrueHD to 7.1 PCM.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Don't we know what mosquito noise reduction is? Isn't it a filter that tries to reduce the compression noise around edges? I believe it only works for DVDs though, not BDs.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrexl View Post

Don't we know what mosquito noise reduction is? Isn't it a filter that tries to reduce the compression noise around edges? I believe it only works for DVDs though, not BDs.

Mosquito noise reduction can only be applied to DVDs, not to BD with the PS3.

From a quick google search found this:

Old 04-01-2008, 11:21 AM

I didn't really phrase the mosquito noise reduction questions right. What I should have said is that it would be nice if there was an asnwer for what it is, what it affects, and how effective or desirable it is in the FAQ and that I, personally, didn't have the answer.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by deria View Post

I didn't really phrase the mosquito noise reduction questions right. What I should have said is that it would be nice if there was an asnwer for what it is, what it affects, and how effective or desirable it is in the FAQ and that I, personally, didn't have the answer.

No problem. Perhaps the #1 post will get updated with the information presented.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

The first post hasn't been updated for months. Maybe someone should PM Steve and ask what's going on.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

A friend has asked for help - he has a PS3 with a Denon receiver with NO HDMI..

He says that when playing standard DVD's he's getting a noticeable buzzing sound coming from both rear speakers and it only happens with regular DVD - there is no buzz when playing BR discs..

Anything with the audio settings in the PS3 that could cause this?

John
Old 04-02-2008, 04:49 PM

Well we just got the box for our fourth ps3. Does anyone have contact info for anyone past a CSR supervisor at sony? I'm afraid we are going to get another refurb and our luck has been awful.
Thanks,
Zaxdad
Old 04-03-2008, 03:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffhyder View Post

When is the best time to buy a PS3? I've heard that they just reduced the manufacturing cost to half... I'm not in a hurry but would like one ASAP. Should I wait or jump into the 40GB one now (that's the one I want)? Do you think that will discontinue this model since the 120GB/160GB's are coming out? Thanks!

IMO, the 40GB will be here for a while. But in electronics life cycles, that could be two months or two years. I own one and the limitiations compared to the 60 and 80 are easily remedied: drive size, adding more USB ports, adding memory card support. The only two functions that can't be added are SACD support and backwards compatibility for the PS2, which I don't particularly care about. It's a great machine...Will

Red was my first love. Blu is my new wife!
HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

You can't have everything. Where would you put it? Steven Wright
Old 04-03-2008, 06:03 AM

I am curious if anyone can help me with a basic question. Like in the above post my Denon Receiver doesnt have HDMI. My current big screen doesnt have HDMI either. I use optical for sound but if I upgrade my tv with one with HDMI inputs can I use the HDMI for video and still use the optical to the receiver for sound? I understand that HDMI is both video and sound, but I want 1080P when I upgrade. I will settle for 1080I over component and I am curious if I can cheat without upgrading my receiver.

Now to answer the MC MANIAC;
A friend has asked for help - he has a PS3 with a Denon receiver with NO HDMI..

He says that when playing standard DVD's he's getting a noticeable buzzing sound coming from both rear speakers and it only happens with regular DVD - there is no buzz when playing BR discs..

Anything with the audio settings in the PS3 that could cause this?

What I found while testing the WIFI for streaming music from the pc was most of my music sounded horrible through my Denon. When I mean horrible, I mean horrible. It took me a while turning off this turning off that. By accident I pulled up the console controls with the controller by hitting the triangle button. In those options there was an audio icon. When I accessed it the player was set to +2. I set it down to normal/or even and the sound was perfect. I dont know if that is it but that was the only issue I found. Other things I would try it reseating down the speaker cables, but if it only happens with the PS3 then you know its a setting. Is it a new receiver? Check the rear channel gains or if he set them to large rather than small in the options. Also what version update is running on it? I went with 2.20 and it has more functionality.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA WOP View Post

Now to answer the MC MANIAC;

What I found while testing the WIFI for streaming music from the pc was most of my music sounded horrible through my Denon. When I mean horrible, I mean horrible. It took me a while turning off this turning off that. By accident I pulled up the console controls with the controller by hitting the triangle button. In those options there was an audio icon. When I accessed it the player was set to +2. I set it down to normal/or even and the sound was perfect. I dont know if that is it but that was the only issue I found. Other things I would try it reseating down the speaker cables, but if it only happens with the PS3 then you know its a setting. Is it a new receiver? Check the rear channel gains or if he set them to large rather than small in the options. Also what version update is running on it? I went with 2.20 and it has more functionality.

thank you very much for these suggestions - I will pass them on..

His receiver is 3 years old - I suggested he look at the 4308 (or 3808) and go all HDMI and take advantage of Dolby True HD.. I suspect he'll go this route and it should solve his issue..

John
Old 04-03-2008, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Maniac View Post

thank you very much for these suggestions - I will pass them on..

His receiver is 3 years old - I suggested he look at the 4308 (or 3808) and go all HDMI and take advantage of Dolby True HD.. I suspect he'll go this route and it should solve his issue..

cool hit us back with anything that happens so I know if he got it fixed. I didnt notice it with my Denon for hte surround, but when I get home I'll test mine out too. cya.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA WOP View Post

I am curious if anyone can help me with a basic question. Like in the above post my Denon Receiver doesnt have HDMI. My current big screen doesnt have HDMI either. I use optical for sound but if I upgrade my tv with one with HDMI inputs can I use the HDMI for video and still use the optical to the receiver for sound? I understand that HDMI is both video and sound, but I want 1080P when I upgrade. I will settle for 1080I over component and I am curious if I can cheat without upgrading my receiver.

I am doing this very thing. I have the HDMI going to my TV for video and Optical to my AVR for audio. I, of course, don't get the lossless audio formats, but I can live with that for now.

I'll upgrade to an HDMI AVR if/when the PS3 gets the ability to decode DTS-HD:MA... or sometime in the next 3 years. Whichever comes first.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:12 AM

[quote=DA WOP;13546056]I am curious if anyone can help me with a basic question. Like in the above post my Denon Receiver doesnt have HDMI. My current big screen doesnt have HDMI either. I use optical for sound but if I upgrade my tv with one with HDMI inputs can I use the HDMI for video and still use the optical to the receiver for sound? I understand that HDMI is both video and sound, but I want 1080P when I upgrade. I will settle for 1080I over component and I am curious if I can cheat without upgrading my receiver.

You can have any combination of 1 audio and 1 video.
Just not multiples of video or audio from the PS3.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:12 PM

I just got a PS3. Do I need to get the remote control to play blu-ray movies ??
Old 04-03-2008, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugg77 View Post

I would also check out the IR2BT because that provides you with full function control of your PS3. It converts the IR from your 890 (or any IR universal remote) into the bluetooth used by the Sony remote. They're supposed to be hitting the market in the next few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0 View Post

It's also the size of a large beeper and costs $55. Wow. Still might be worth it though.

Here's the link.

I believe this was finally just released. Has anyone tried it out?
Old 04-03-2008, 08:25 PM

that sounds like a ground loop, not the ps3
Old 04-04-2008, 08:43 AM

Is PS3 40GB backward compatible to PS1 & PS2 games ???
Old 04-04-2008, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dla26 View Post

I believe this was finally just released. Has anyone tried it out?

There are several threads about it here and in the PS3 section of the Home Theater Gaming forum.

I love mine. It's been flawless for me. Total control of the PS3 through my Harmony remote!
Old 04-04-2008, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

PS2, no.... most PS1, I believe yes...

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL