AVS Sony PS3 FAQ (PS3 used as a Blu-ray player) - Page 19 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 693 Old 05-07-2008, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

Your posts about the PS3 being a weak link and under performing are either uninformed or biased. Considering you claim to have had the PS3 for a while and claim to have read every post in this thread, I fear it may be the latter.

Hey, nobody ever said that reading something and comprehending it are the same thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 693 Old 05-07-2008, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Pire View Post

1- So then why the problem with not passing the full "digital signal" via HDMI. If the processing in the PS3 is no different than that in my receiver, then why do they downmix 7.1 to 5.1? It can pass 6.1 sources like DTS-ES and DD-EX content. (see #4)

I believe that was fixed, and there's currently only a couple of Lion's Gate films that aren't passing 7.1. As this appears to be a software issue, I don't expect this to be an issue for long (I hope ).
post #543 of 693 Old 05-19-2008, 10:16 AM

I've got my PS3 going through an Onkyo 605. When playing Gran Turismo 5 (which supposedly supports Dolby Digital), I can't get the DD light on the Onkyo to come on. I've tried setting BD/DVD audio on the PS3 to both bitstream and PCM - still get same result - I think the Onkyo displays multi-channel PCM.

The audio sounds very good but I was wondering if there is a separate setting to adjust game audio vs. BD/DVD audio. Thanks.
post #544 of 693 Old 05-19-2008, 10:26 AM

Assuming that you have the PS3 hooked up via hdmi, look for audio settings under the settings menu. There are adjustments you can make for both hdmi and optical connections.
post #545 of 693 Old 05-19-2008, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

It seems that quite a few games do utilize the DD codec, but that the PS3 only outputs it as an already decompressed PCM data stream. Some games allow for bitstreaming of the DD information, but not all do.

If this is incorrect, I welcome any corrections (I've only had my PS3 for about 3 weeks, but this is what I seem to be encountering).
post #546 of 693 Old 05-19-2008, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anyone used the Nyko bluewave I/R dongle with a URC remote control..Need to know if a MX-500 will learn the Nyko remote codes...Thanks...Al
post #547 of 693 Old 05-19-2008, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I believe that under HDMI audio you have to deselect everything except dts and dolby digital then it will output bitstream.

HTPC/Gaming Rig:
Silverstone CW02B, I7 3930K, 16GB, ASUS Rampage IV Formula
EVGA Signature Titan> 70 inch ELITE PRO-70X5FD
Auzen HDMI XFi> 7.2 via Marantz AV8801>Wyred4Sound, & Emotiva Amps>Paradigm 100'sV5, ADP590'sV5, 690v5, 20v5's, + Dual HSU-ULS15 Subs

Controlling: Two CX7000ES's via MyMovies
post #548 of 693 Old 05-19-2008, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
This is why I keep my optical output connected as well. For games (and PSN trailers), I just switch over to optical. It's slightly faster than going in the menus and deselecting things.

You can let the PS3 decode everything and output as PCM, but receivers should make DD sound better, and allow use of game modes.

My midis bring all the Force to the yard; my midis are better than yours!
post #549 of 693 Old 05-20-2008, 08:03 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Solo88:

I currently have my PS3 running to an HDMI slot on my Onkyo 605. Do you suggest I run the optical cable to an AUX jack on the receiver?
post #550 of 693 Old 05-20-2008, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan_ct View Post

Has anyone used the Nyko bluewave I/R dongle with a URC remote control..Need to know if a MX-500 will learn the Nyko remote codes...Thanks...Al

Works great with the Harmony One.
post #551 of 693 Old 05-20-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan_ct View Post

Yes, it works fine with my MX-500. But I plan to get an IR2BT as soon as possible. The problems I have with the Nyko are that it's slow to respond. So slow in fact that I've gone back to using the PS3 controller. The other problem is that it only learns a few basic commands. It will only learn the same functionality that the SIXAXIS controller can do. For everything except the most basic commands, you'll have to use the onscreen menu like you do with the SIXAXIS controller.

Beyond that, it works as advertised.
post #552 of 693 Old 05-20-2008, 12:26 PM

I need to add a Blu-Ray player to my system. The current system is run by a Harmony Remote and the wife who demands/requires simplicity is comfortable with how to operate the system.

For me to have a hope of getting her acceptance, I will need to make the PS3 controllable with the Harmony. I know that this can be done, although powering up and down seems to be a limitation. My bigger concern is the UI on the PS3. Is there a way to have its operation default to being a DVD player, or is the user forced to go through a menu selection every time to say that you want to play a DVD? I expect that even though this sounds simple, that sometimes the wrong selection will be made and I will be forced to come and rescue her from some kind of problem.

If I can't make this thing dead simple to operate like a stand-alone DVD player, then maybe I need to just buy a stand alone player. Seems like a shame considering that the PS3 does so much more for the same money, and it is 2.0 compliant.

It would be great to hear from others who have faced this issue.

Kerry
post #553 of 693 Old 05-20-2008, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Well you'll probably want an IR2BT or similar product that allows you to completely control (including power toggle) the PS3. That's the first step.

The second part is even easier. You will set up the PS3 to auto-play when a disc is inserted. So your wife will turn it on, put in a disc and it will load the movie right away so all she sees is the disc menu and not the PS3 GUI (XMB).
post #554 of 693 Old 05-20-2008, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Obviously, the setup (including downloading new firmware) is a bit WAF-hostile and gamer-friendly.

But after that, it is really simple.

Early on, wife called to ask how to play a Blu-ray disk on my son-in-law's PS3 (which I bought for him), and I told her: "Just put the disk in the slot; the remote works as you expect." She said: "Hey, that was easy and it is fast." Our granddaughter does it now (age 3).

Ejecting is easy. The only trick is turning it off.

BTW: I don't share the thought that there is anything wrong with the Sony Blu-ray remote. At our condo, we appreciate the fact that you don't have to worry about pointing the remote in the right direction in order to get it to work. Blue-Tooth has some benefits.
post #555 of 693 Old 05-20-2008, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
No

Just enjoy HD in whatever form you can (Sat, Cable, D-VHS, OTA, HD DVD, or BD).
post #556 of 693 Old 05-20-2008, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I use a Nyko Bluwave USB to IR adapter and programmed all the codes into my harmony. Works great. Just cannot turn on or off the PS3 using the remote. However, it turns on automatically when you insert a disk and you can just turn it off by pressing and holding the power button just after ejecting the disk. It is a no brainer.
post #557 of 693 Old 05-20-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Spackman View Post

No

Jon - I would be interested to know why you think this.

Kerry
post #558 of 693 Old 05-21-2008, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

k, i haven't picked one up yet, and it is partially due to the non-"family" friendly interface. But I'm pretty sure the PS3 can be set where you just pop in the disc and it will play automatically. You may not get the best audio out of it, as if you were to go into the settings, but i don't think your wife would care.
I think she'd like a fast loading player better than one that drags its feet.
And one that is the least fussy when putting in any movie.

And to get direct answers from people, if they are not responding to your post, try sending a PM. I like using the PMs. It's more personal and you may get a more opinionated answer, since the reply wont be attacked by every other poster on here.
post #559 of 693 Old 05-21-2008, 02:57 PM

Alright, I have a PS3 and am looking to buy a new receiver. Based off what I've read, I really don't need to get an AVR that can decode DD-TrueHD or DTS-MA because the PS3 does the decoding and pushes everything over via PCM.

So as far as I'm concerned, all I need is a receiver that can play 7.1 PCM audio, and that's just about it, correct?

Also, regarding Cybernole's question and solo88's response above, wouldn't the DD decoding to PCM that takes place in the PS3 produce the exact same result of an AVR decoding to PCM? Does anybody have proof that a bitstream to AVR decoding to PCM is truly better sounding than a PS3 decoding to PCM?

This link provided by DTS suggests it doesn't matter which machine does the decoding, and I would assume that applies for *all* codecs. Thoughts?
post #560 of 693 Old 05-21-2008, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltboy View Post

Alright, I have a PS3 and am looking to buy a new receiver. Based off what I've read, I really don't need to get an AVR that can decode DD-TrueHD or DTS-MA because the PS3 does the decoding and pushes everything over via PCM.

So as far as I'm concerned, all I need is a receiver that can play 7.1 PCM audio, and that's just about it, correct?

Yes, but most decent ($500+) receivers do it all anyway.
post #561 of 693 Old 05-21-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:

Also, regarding Cybernole's question and solo88's response above, wouldn't the DD decoding to PCM that takes place in the PS3 produce the exact same result of an AVR decoding to PCM? Does anybody have proof that a bitstream to AVR decoding to PCM is truly better sounding than a PS3 decoding to PCM?

There are really 2 notable exceptions to this train of though - although you are generally correct.

First exception: There are times when a receiver or a player does not actually do the decoding correctly. I would say this is rare - but it does happen.

Second exception: Receivers differ on the ability to do post processing. For example, the Onkyo 605s will not post process LPCM sound. The 805s will. While the decoding might produce the exact same result, the actual sound you here will be different. In Cybermole's case, if he wants his receiver to add in post processing effects (like game mode, or large hall simulation, ect) he needs his sound to be output in bit stream. My receiver will do post processing on LPCM sound, so I can get these effects without needing to bit stream. This is more of a receiver specific thing than an "in general" thing.
post #562 of 693 Old 05-21-2008, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:

This link provided by DTS suggests it doesn't matter which machine does the decoding, and I would assume that applies for *all* codecs. Thoughts?

If you are buying a c.$400 receiver -- which is what I assume you are doing, if you are looking to cut corners by not getting some features? -- don't shortchange yourself. Get one that can handle the advanced codecs, too. The price increase is almost non-existent in most mass market lines these days (Yamaha, Onkyo, etc.). Yes, the result should be the same with PCM out from the PS3 -- but what happens later when you buy a component that doesn't do internal decoding to PCM but does bitrate output? You'll be glad your receiver supports it.

Also, a few receivers that accept PCM via HDMI don't apply processing like distance settings to the PCM input, so watch out for that.

Build Thread & current gear list: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
though the Triad On Wall Silver Surrounds are listed for sale, and will be replaced by direct radiating speakers for object-oriented sound this year.
post #563 of 693 Old 05-21-2008, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The 2nd exception doesn't really matter because generally, receivers that don't post-process PCM won't post-process TrueHD or DTS-HD MA either. This is true of the 605. It will do the distance and equalization settings (for all codecs) though.

I agree that it's important to get decoding capabilities just in case though.
post #564 of 693 Old 05-21-2008, 04:12 PM

Thanks for the replies guys - VERY informative!

What about the 705 - does it do post-processing? I'm thinking about getting that one because I need Pre-outs.
post #565 of 693 Old 05-21-2008, 06:16 PM

Time to update the table on the first post to show the new firmware that decodes DTS-HD MA?
post #566 of 693 Old 05-21-2008, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Sony is excellent with their returns. I was only out of my ps3 for 7 business days.
post #567 of 693 Old 05-21-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post

Sony is excellent with their returns. I was only out of my ps3 for 7 business days.

Thanks,
BTW, I moved the post, I figured this wasn't the right place for it.
post #568 of 693 Old 05-22-2008, 02:01 PM

*** STR-DG1000 & PLAYSTATION®3 ***

Would someone be so kind and shed a light on this matter for me?

I was watching The Orphanage Blu-ray edition on the PS3 (good cinema, btw). About a little more than half way through, the picture went black for about 5 seconds and then it resumed playing where it had left off. I've been noticing that with not just this one film but several other Blu ray titles as well (i.e. No Country, Lord of War, etc).

The PS3 is hooked up through STR-DG1000 via HDMI cable to HDMI 1 IN and then HDMI out to the Sony Bravia XBR 52" television. The PS3 is updated to the latest v2.35 firmware. I haven't had the chance to try connecting the PS3 directly to the TV and by passing the AV receiver altogether to isolate out the problem. It could just be the AV receiver having a signal switching issue.

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
post #569 of 693 Old 05-22-2008, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post

i can echo this sentiment...

I was without my PS3 for 4 business days. Dropped off the package at UPS on Tuesday, they received it Wednesday, shipped me a new one on Thursday, and I had it on Monday.
post #570 of 693 Old 05-23-2008, 01:15 PM

I'm having a problem with PS3 audio, connected via optical to my Sony receiver. In bitstream mode, Black hawk down blu-ray gets very spotty audio decoding on my receiver. It constantly fails to decode the signal and I only hear sound every 10 seconds or so. f I switch over to Linear PCM, it works but then there's no multi-channel decoding at all!

I'm reading the cover and it says audio is in PCM 5.1 (uncompressed) format. Do I now need to get a receiver that can handle this or is my existing receiver still good enough?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page