Forum Jump: 

Old 07-21-2008, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Most displays out there handle Blacker than Black and Peak White data just fine so it is a bit odd that Sony defaults this setting to OFF. But in any event, it is easy to set it to ON.
--Bob

My Sony XBR4 handles blacker than black, but doesn't seem to detect when it's enabled on the PS3 even though there is an "auto" setting on the TV. This results it things looking too dark. If I turned them both to on things looked okay, but not any better than with blacker than black off so I just leave it off on the PS3. I leave Super White on though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2008, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morac View Post

My Sony XBR4 handles blacker than black, but doesn't seem to detect when it's enabled on the PS3 even though there is an "auto" setting on the TV. This results it things looking too dark. If I turned them both to on things looked okay, but not any better than with blacker than black off so I just leave it off on the PS3. I leave Super White on though.

Umm. Superwhite set to on gives to blacker-than-black and whiter than white. I don't know what else you are touching, but it has nothing to do with these.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:51 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 980
Quote:

Sounds to me like you are sending RGB to your TV instead of YCbCr.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 07-21-2008, 05:52 PM

OK, I'm using HDMI, the PS3 is doing the decoding for the HD sound codecs, what sound mode do I set my reciever for? If the PS3 is decoding DTS MA, should the reciever be set to decode it also? Should the reciever be set to automatic? Sorry if this has been covered, but I'm confused.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclejam View Post

OK, I'm using HDMI, the PS3 is doing the decoding for the HD sound codecs, what sound mode do I set my reciever for? If the PS3 is decoding DTS MA, should the reciever be set to decode it also? Should the reciever be set to automatic? Sorry if this has been covered, but I'm confused.

Your receiver will be receiving LPCM from the PS3 and as far as the receiver is concerned this will appear the same for any of the lossless audio formats for Blu-ray Disc. If your receiver has an automatic setting that will probably work, if not you can see if there is a setting for multi-channel LPCM input via HDMI.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Old 07-21-2008, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You'll probably want to use whatever just decodes it as is (no surround processing/DSP), but retains your equalizer/bass management settings. On Onkyos this would be "multichannel" ("direct" decodes as is, but doesn't apply EQ/BM).

However, if you have a 7.1 setup and your receiver supports DPLIIx for 5.1 lossless, you could enable that for matrixed 7.1.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

It seems like you're confusing Blacker than Black with "RGB Full." It's not the same thing...you only get BTB and Peak White info with Superwhite set to On. You should be sending your TV a Y Pb Pr signal (either manually or set to "auto."

Brandon
Old 07-25-2008, 03:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Earlier this week I ordered a PS3 from Amazon so that I could, finally, join the Blu-ray world. It's not scheduled to ship until next Monday, so I won't receive it until late next week, if then. This thread looks like just what the doctor ordered to help me through the throes of configuration. I appreciate the input from all of the knowledgeable folks who have contributed.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
hi my tv has a vga pc input, does it accept hdmi rgb and is so will it give me better video wuality over the other option?

pcm=potato
bitstream=patato
Old 07-25-2008, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Earlier this week I ordered a PS3 from Amazon so that I could, finally, join the Blu-ray world. It’s not scheduled to ship until next Monday, so I won’t receive it until late next week, if then. This thread looks like just what the doctor ordered to help me through the throes of configuration. I appreciate the input from all of the knowledgeable folks who have contributed.

Welcome:

Here is some info to read while you wait for Amazon

They are not all Blu-Ray related, but give you some info on most of the features

10 all-new PS3 tips and tricks

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming...7031?artc_pg=1

10 PS3 tricks Sony doesn't tell you

http://www.techradar.com/blogs/artic...9626?artc_pg=1

8 more PS3 tricks Sony doesn't tell you

http://www.techradar.com/blogs/artic...ell-you-129687

Update page:

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Ab...html#update_PC

http://www.us.playstation.com/ps3/about/systemupdate

Enjoy
Old 07-26-2008, 05:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Dominica -- Thanks. The gaming tips won't do anything for me but I expect that my 15 year old grandson will appreciate them. The firmware update should be pretty easy to do, as the PS3 will be connected to my network.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
How can I play HD Trailers simultaneously on my PS3? I download HD trailers from apple & save them as mp4 & then transfer them to the PS3 & they play fine but how can I play multiple trailers one after the other?

As it stands now I must click on a new trailer to play it & once it's finished I must click on another one & then another & so on, but, can I watch all my trailers on the PS3 simultaneously one after the other?

If so please explain as I have searched for months without an answer.

Cheers
Chris

Sony VPL-VW500ES, 150" width 2.35:1 screen, Proud owner of 1 of 399 Enzo Ferrari's in the world, a gorgeous yellow Ferrari 599GTB, + a 1970 Road Runner see it here

Old 07-27-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Dallas View Post

How can I play HD Trailers simultaneously on my PS3? I download HD trailers from apple & save them as mp4 & then transfer them to the PS3 & they play fine but how can I play multiple trailers one after the other?

I don't think simultaneously means what you think it means. The word you are looking for is consecutively.

After some googling it doesn't seem that the ps3 has the ability to do video playlists.

Harry

X
Old 07-27-2008, 09:42 PM

I have a ps3, two high end speakers and a high end sub woofer. I would like to take advantage of DTS-HDMA. Can someone please recommend a good budget receiver that accepts the ps3's LPCM or point me to a good discussion of this? Keep in mind I don't need a receiver that has 7+ analogue outs.

thanks!

p.s. seems the Onkyo TX-SR575 is not too shabby a choice for dual HDMI and no audio decoding requirements yeah?
Old 07-27-2008, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 100
If you have high end speakers and a high end subwoofer, are you sure you want to underdrive them with a budget receiver? In any event, there is a section of this site with a whole group of discussions about receivers and you will probably find what you want, there. If asking in a topic for recommendations, it will help if you describe what speakers you are using.

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
Old 07-27-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

If you have high end speakers and a high end subwoofer, are you sure you want to underdrive them with a budget receiver? In any event, there is a section of this site with a whole group of discussions about receivers and you will probably find what you want, there. If asking in a topic for recommendations, it will help if you describe what speakers you are using.

The speakers and sub are actually powered, so the receiver is basically just to do HDMI switching and output an analogue signal to the speakers/woofer.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 100
This is the wrong thread for this discussion, but you will find many great options in the receiver section. Of course you arguably get better performance by using a pre-pro instead of a receiver, but can assess that yourself after reviewing the comments.

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
Old 07-27-2008, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbread57 View Post

I have a ps3, two high end speakers and a high end sub woofer. I would like to take advantage of DTS-HDMA. Can someone please recommend a good budget receiver that accepts the ps3's LPCM or point me to a good discussion of this? Keep in mind I don't need a receiver that has 7+ analogue outs.

thanks!

p.s. seems the Onkyo TX-SR575 is not too shabby a choice for dual HDMI and no audio decoding requirements yeah?

Take a look at the Onkyo TX-SR605 for about $270 at accessories4less.com.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...r-BLACK/1.html

Steve

Old 07-28-2008, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

Will the PS3 detect external Blu-ray drives and play Blu-rays when connected through USB ?

Ehh, I doubt it. But I've never tried as I have no external BD drive. There's no interface for detection and playback of the external drive and I doubt it would operate under the "video" section of the XMB as it only detects files.

Brandon
Old 07-28-2008, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

Ehh, I doubt it. But I've never tried as I have no external BD drive. There's no interface for detection and playback of the external drive and I doubt it would operate under the "video" section of the XMB as it only detects files.

Brandon

Thanks Brandon. I was planning to get an external Blu-ray burner, so thought the PS3 would detect it.

Blu-ray : 340
Old 07-29-2008, 08:23 PM

Has anyone been able to stream DTS-encoded WAV files or DTS-Audio CDs on their PS3?

I have tried numerous settings and cannot get anything to work.

I have a newer 40GB PS3 and I'm running fw2.41.

Thanks!
Old 07-29-2008, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammie View Post

Has anyone been able to stream DTS-encoded WAV files or DTS-Audio CDs on their PS3?

Thanks!

I do remember seeing a post about it before. IIRC, you need to go into the music settings and set it to output at 44.1/88.2/176.4kHz (I believe this is the default). Also disable bitmapping while you're in there. Finally, you need to then go into your sound settings and uncheck all the output options for 88.2 and 176.4kHz (for the most part, the only thing your PS3 would send out at those sample rates is upsampled CD audio, so you won't really be crippling anything by doing this). What you're doing is effectively forcing the PS3 to send the raw DTS bitstream from the CD to your receiver. Hopefully once you've done all this, your receiver will lock onto the DTS signal and then activate it's own decoder.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammie View Post

Thanks!

The reason it won't work is because the PS3 resamples such files to 48Khz, which destroys the DTS signal because it has to be at 44.1Khz from DTS CDs. I wish they would change this, adding a setting to play files at their native bitrate.

It will work with CDs though, IF you have 44.1Khz checked and you have the higher multiples of that frequency (88.2, 176.4) unchecked in the sound output settings. There used to be a setting to just play CDs at 44.1Khz, but now the setting is to play them at either 48Khz or the highest multiple of 44.1Khz.

Edit: Pugnax touched on this in his post, before I was done typing mine. Note that it will only work with CDs, NOT DTS WAV files on the PS3 itself, because those get resampled.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominica View Post

Welcome:

Here is some info to read while you wait for Amazon

They are not all Blu-Ray related, but give you some info on most of the features

10 all-new PS3 tips and tricks

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming...7031?artc_pg=1

10 PS3 tricks Sony doesn't tell you

http://www.techradar.com/blogs/artic...9626?artc_pg=1

8 more PS3 tricks Sony doesn't tell you

http://www.techradar.com/blogs/artic...ell-you-129687

Update page:

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Ab...html#update_PC

http://www.us.playstation.com/ps3/about/systemupdate

Enjoy

+1
Old 08-14-2008, 10:05 AM

Hi, after reading the Q&A on the first post, i was upset because of this:

"Can the PS3 output audio over HDMI and Optical at the same time?

No, only one audio output at a time."

I googled and found out (hopefully it is correct) that it is somewhat misleading this answer. You can go to settings and choose to have video out on HDMI and audio out on optical!
Thanks for the great thread!!
Old 08-14-2008, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetLight View Post

I googled and found out (hopefully it is correct) that it is somewhat misleading this answer. You can go to settings and choose to have video out on HDMI and audio out on optical!

If you read the question, it asks if you can output audio from HDMI and optical at the same time... the question makes no mention of video.

And yes, it is true that you can output video via HDMI while outputting audio via optical.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetLight View Post

There's nothing misleading about the answer, and it's still correct. You can only output AUDIO over one output at a time. What you're asking is about outputting audio over one output and video over another, which it does with no problem.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugnax555 View Post

There's nothing misleading about the answer, and it's still correct. You can only output AUDIO over one output at a time. What you're asking is about outputting audio over one output and video over another, which it does with no problem.

Thanks for assuring me that i will be able to use my optical audio and HDMI video at the same time. Now, the misleading part is subjective!
Old 08-14-2008, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 212
I'm considering starting a New PS3 FAQ Thread since the summary FAQ information in Post #1 of this existing thread is no longer being maintained. Steve Schauer deserves the credit for putting together this FAQ thread, but he hasn't updated Post #1 in about 8 months and I have tried to contact him several times about providing an update or supporting the idea of starting a new thread. He hasn't responded to any of my PMs. If there is support from the active forum members that are posting to this this tread, I will go ahead and start a new thread using some of the existing information from Post #1 of the current thread with updates for new features that have been added to the PS3 this year.

Ron Jones

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Old 08-14-2008, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron jones View Post

i'm considering starting a new ps3 faq thread since the summary faq information in post #1 of this existing thread is no longer being maintained. Steve schauer deserves the credit for putting together this faq thread, but he hasn't updated post #1 in about 8 months and i have tried to contact him several times about providing an update or supporting the idea of starting a new thread. He hasn't responded to any of my pms. If there is support from the active forum members that are posting to this this tread, i will go ahead and start a new thread using some of the existing information from post #1 of the current thread with updates for new features that have been added to the ps3 this year.

Ron jones

+1