Forum Jump: 

Old 01-25-2008, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Schauer View Post

Under Video Output Format (HDMI), what are RGB, Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr and Auto for?

RGB: A colorspace used by the PS3 to output video levels at a desired range. This colorspace is mostly designed for PC monitors. This is the desired colorspace for use in the PS3's XMB interface and also for video games because they are encoded in sRGB.

Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr: Another colorspace for use with displays that accept Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr input. If your display supports it, this is the desired colorspace when watching DVD, Blu-rays or AVCHD videos.

Auto: Just like it sounds, it automatically selects between RGB or Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr colorspaces depending on the source of the video. Selecting Auto will most likely result in the PS3 using RGB Levels for the XMB interface and Video Games, and Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr for DVD and Blu-ray discs.

OK, I'm doing something wrong. When I go into display settings, under Video Output settings, I choose HDMI, but I don't see anything asking about RGB or Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr. Just asks if I want automatic or custom, which selects which resolutions I want. Nothing about RGB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2008, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob9874 View Post

OK, I'm doing something wrong. When I go into display settings, under Video Output settings, I choose HDMI, but I don't see anything asking about RGB or Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr. Just asks if I want automatic or custom, which selects which resolutions I want. Nothing about RGB.

Ok, go to Settings, select Display and then just wait a minute...look over what's listed on the screen.

If what you quoted is confusing you can blame Brandon, he wrote it.

Pics from my TV here and here.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0 View Post

Ok, go to Settings, select Display and then just wait a minute...look over what's listed on the screen.

If what you quoted is confusing you can blame Brandon, he wrote it.

I don't think it's confusing, I'm just not seeing the options. Here's where I go:

Settings
Display Settings
Video Output Settings

I see choices for HDMI, component, composite, and AV Multi.
I choose HDMI.
The next screen over says "automatic" and "custom".
I choose custom, and it asks which resolutions my TV supports I choose 480, 720, and 10801 (automatic selects the same thing).
Then the next screen over is the summary of those choices. Nothing about RGB.

Under the Display Settings, I have options for if I want my RGB to be full or limited, as well as the Super White. But I want to make sure I have everything set correctly, and can't find the option for selecting RGB or Y Pr/Cr.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geko29 View Post

AFAIK, Sopranos Season 6 part X (forget if it's 1 or 2) is the only title to have just a PCM track. And no, it's not a stereo track. And yes, that's a BIG problem for people who don't have the ability to play back multichannel PCM. Nothing like a dramatic TV show with no dialog......

Also, Elton John 60th birthday bash. No standard DD or DTS. Big disappointment for a concert disc to have to listen in 2 channel stereo, or have my Pioneer 1015 matrix the 5.1
Old 01-25-2008, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob9874 View Post

Under the Display Settings, I have options for if I want my RGB to be full or limited, as well as the Super White. But I want to make sure I have everything set correctly, and can't find the option for selecting RGB or Y Pr/Cr.

Now I get what you're looking for. Don't go to Display, go to BD/DVD Settings.

Pics from my TV here and here.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geko29 View Post

AFAIK, Sopranos Season 6 part X (forget if it's 1 or 2) is the only title to have just a PCM track. And no, it's not a stereo track. And yes, that's a BIG problem for people who don't have the ability to play back multichannel PCM. Nothing like a dramatic TV show with no dialog......

Well, to be fair, the PS3 will downmix the track to stereo, so you won't lose the dialogue. It doesn't just play the L & R channels.

Rich Davenport, you can apparently re-download the games as many times as you want to the same PS3, even after replacing the hard drive. You are limited to 5 PS3s though. I believe this is to account for multiple systems in a family and/or system failures, but of course some use it to share with their friends.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0 View Post

Now I get what you're looking for. Don't go to Display, go to BD/DVD Settings.

Thanks!!!
Old 01-26-2008, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrexl View Post

Well, to be fair, the PS3 will downmix the track to stereo, so you won't lose the dialogue. It doesn't just play the L & R channels.

Rich Davenport, you can apparently re-download the games as many times as you want to the same PS3, even after replacing the hard drive. You are limited to 5 PS3s though. I believe this is to account for multiple systems in a family and/or system failures, but of course some use it to share with their friends.

I looked in the manual (I know, cheating) and found a backup/restore utility under Settings -> System Setting. I assume it will backup and restore games. Am I right?

Manual Entry

Member of AVS FORUM folding@home team, (team #55280)
Old 01-26-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_james View Post

I am so fed up with my bdp 1200. The PS3 just seems like its the only player that plays all the discs without problems. should i buy one or wait til bluray is stable??? any feedback is definately appreciated!

I went with the PS3 (40GB) for that very reason. I didn't feel like consantly updating the firmware to play new releases. The updates on the PS3 are mainly just for adding new features and are especially easy with the wifi capabilities. I've rented (from Netflix) and played many new releases without any problems. Bluray stability is here using the PS3.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsganz View Post

I went with the PS3 (40GB) for that very reason. I didn't feel like consantly updating the firmware to play new releases. The updates on the PS3 are mainly just for adding new features and are especially easy with the wifi capabilities. I've rented (from Netflix) and played many new releases without any problems. Bluray stability is here using the PS3.

Yep, I have never had an issue of any kind. I don't know why anyone would buy a stand alone and continue to upgrade or suffer through playback issues.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:06 AM

My goodness. I really hate to be the guy who asks the question for the 29,576,734,680,153rd time, but the answers always seem to come from somewhere else.

Would I be correct if I were to state that the PlayStation 3 WILL NOT output ANY 7.1 tracks?

From what I can tell, it downmixes anything with 7.1 in it to 5.1, right? If this is the case, wouldn't that put a fairly quick end to the argument over how good of a BD player it is?

I have one, but my AVR lacks HDMI. I was planning on upgrading, but from the sounds of things, ther would be no reason to do so, if I can get better sound from a DVD.

Onkyo TX SR805 | DVD-1920 | Optoma HD70 | PlayStation 3 | Definitive Technology ProTower 400 | Pro Center C2 | BP2x | Pro Monitor 100 | Klipsch RSW-10
Old 01-27-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourgrandma View Post

My goodness. I really hate to be the guy who asks the question for the 29,576,734,680,153rd time, but the answers always seem to come from somewhere else.

Would I be correct if I were to state that the PlayStation 3 WILL NOT output ANY 7.1 tracks?

From what I can tell, it downmixes anything with 7.1 in it to 5.1, right? If this is the case, wouldn't that put a fairly quick end to the argument over how good of a BD player it is?

I have one, but my AVR lacks HDMI. I was planning on upgrading, but from the sounds of things, ther would be no reason to do so, if I can get better sound from a DVD.

I found this in the manual:

Quote:

*1 A device compatible with Linear PCM 7.1. Ch. is required to output 7.1 Ch. audio from the HDMI OUT connector.
*2 The system does not support output from DTS-HD 7.1 Ch.
DTS-HD 7.1 Ch. audio is output from 5.1 or a lower channel.

Which implies it does 7.1, just not for DTS-HD 7.1.

There is also mention in this thread on how to limit 7.1 to 5.1 if your receiver doesn't support it.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Well I bought the 40G PS3 at BB with the 20% coupon yesterday. I thank everyone in this forum for all their help in deciding on getting a PS3. Hooking it up and using the Wifi to get a system update was easy. Setup seemed automatic with my 52Xbr4. Last night I watched Cars and played Need for Speed Carbon. Cars looked fantastic. I could get my face right next to the screen and not see any artifacts. Can't do that with cable. Need for speed was awesome. Don't know what the refresh rate is, but the graphics are fantastic. We will play this alot.

One question...can I use a universal remote to control the DVD functions?
Old 01-27-2008, 09:29 AM

You'd need a USB IR receiver for it.

Onkyo TX SR805 | DVD-1920 | Optoma HD70 | PlayStation 3 | Definitive Technology ProTower 400 | Pro Center C2 | BP2x | Pro Monitor 100 | Klipsch RSW-10
Old 01-27-2008, 09:40 AM

Look on page one of this thread for "remote".

Old 01-27-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Davenport View Post

I found this in the manual:

Which implies it does 7.1, just not for DTS-HD 7.1.

There is also mention in this thread on how to limit 7.1 to 5.1 if your receiver doesn't support it.

Rich,

That is what I was questioning in an earlier post. In the table on the orginal post, it shows TrueHD7.1 output at 5.1 (only LPCM output at 7.1). I cannot find that anywhere else and I asked how that was known. Also on DTS-HD, I am guessing that DTS-HD is unsupported and is output as the 5.1 Core, but I asked from some confirmation on that. If that is the case, it seems likely the the DTS 7.1 issue would be rectified if/when DTS-HD HRA and MA are supported.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:45 PM

It's strange that multiple threads on the same sites seem to have differing veiws on whether the DTS HDM issue is hardware or firmware related. Obviously, I hope it's firmware, but I don't know enough to make a guess.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:09 PM

finally picked up the 40 gb, got to watch my "war" disc that i've been sitting on for a month. funny how easy it was.. .
Old 01-27-2008, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 28
I don't think that Audio Compatibility Chart is very accurate.

Under Bitstream (TOSLINK) it lists 'DTS' for DD TrueHD 7.1/5.1 and 'Yes' for DD+. That is simply incorrect. For any discs with those TrueHD/DD+ codecs, you will only get regular DD 5.1 playback via Bitsream (TOSLINK). It is not capable of giving you those higher resolution audio codecs.

Now, I previous HD-A2 I had did transcode the higher resolution audio codecs into DTS; however, my new 40GB PS3 does not.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You're right moshock, thanks. Any Dolby downsampling will be to DD not dts. DTS downsampling will be to dts. I'll update the chart.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:44 AM

Best buy wouldn't take my 20% off. Register lady had to call the manager....manager couldn't get off there fat rump and come look so said uhhh the ps3 isn't on it. I asked them if its not a BR player why does it ONLY come with a free movie....and 5 more free when you buy the damn thing!

Who can I call? I am going to call reward zone today....I want my 80 bucks!
Old 01-28-2008, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAGT View Post

Best buy wouldn't take my 20% off. Register lady had to call the manager....manager couldn't get off there fat rump and come look so said uhhh the ps3 isn't on it. I asked them if its not a BR player why does it ONLY come with a free movie....and 5 more free when you buy the damn thing!

Who can I call? I am going to call reward zone today....I want my 80 bucks!

I didn't get the discount either...told me it didn't apply to the PS3 because it is considered a gaming console even though it plays BD
Old 01-28-2008, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Please post these kinds of experiences in the Special Deals thread. Thanks.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourgrandma View Post

It's strange that multiple threads on the same sites seem to have differing veiws on whether the DTS HDM issue is hardware or firmware related. Obviously, I hope it's firmware, but I don't know enough to make a guess.

I believe it's hardware. I posted several days ago in the other thread that my opinion was that the Silicon Image SiI9132 HDMI transmitter chip found in the PS3 lacks the I2S audio bus features found in their SiI9134 chip that is normally sold to CE manufacturers looking to make full featured BD players. I looked at a similar chip from a Silicon Image competitor and it has I2S as well for HDMI 1.3 audio compatibility. The 9132 is marketed to graphics card and PC board manufacturers where bitstreaming of HD audio seems to be less a requested feature.

Bottom line is that although the graphics side of the 9132 appears to support key HDMI 1.3 technologies, the 9132 only supports HDMI 1.2 on the audio side. But that still gets you the ability to pass the uncompressed HD audio 7.1 streams that the PS3 already pre-processed (and your receiver would have had to do anyway). This kind of backward compatibility for HD audio was built into the HDMI standard so that owners of receivers dating back to HDMI 1.1 would still be able to hear the codecs as intended. Owners of pre-HDMI receivers still get a properly mixed Dolby Digital 5.1 over optical as a worst case scenario. In many ways, this backward compatibility is far better designed than the Dolby Digital 5.1->Dolby Surround deal a decade ago.

Rick
Old 01-28-2008, 09:14 AM

I need some help.....I have the Sammy LNT5271F (AMAZING SET)

I have a ps3/hdmi....picture looks AMAZING

Thing is this.....when i press info button during playback, it says its running in 24hz.....i went into ps3 settings....its set to 1080P .....how can,(if) change this settings to 60hz? I looked all over, and there is no option for this....i even just downloaded latest ps3 system update

I had read in previous thread that this can be done

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Old 01-28-2008, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Great chart. I think you should add that currently PS3 does not correctly handle 4:3 SD contents in Blu-ray. These are often extra features and rather than showing them pillar boxed, PS3 stretches them into 16:9 ratio. What's interesting is that HD 4:3 contents on Blu-ray and SD 4:3 contents on SD DVD are correctly framed.

Addicted to shiny round discs with HD content

My Home Theater
My Movie Collection
BDP-83 EAP (second group)
Old 01-28-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbull271 View Post

I need some help.....I have the Sammy LNT5271F (AMAZING SET)

I have a ps3/hdmi....picture looks AMAZING

Thing is this.....when i press info button during playback, it says its running in 24hz.....i went into ps3 settings....its set to 1080P .....how can,(if) change this settings to 60hz? I looked all over, and there is no option for this....i even just downloaded latest ps3 system update

I had read in previous thread that this can be done

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Look in Settings -> BD / DVD Settings -> BD 1080p 24 Hz Output (HDMI)

And set it to Off

Aimez-vous basketball?
Old 01-28-2008, 11:41 AM

I have an SACD question about the 80gb PS3. I realize it only outputs via HDMI and that there are no analog outputs. And this then requires a receiver or processor that can accept copy protected audio via HDMI. But I think I read that the PS3 converts the DSD to PCM? Is that right? If so, that sorta nullifies the advantage of sacd, doesn't it?
Old 01-28-2008, 12:06 PM

I have another question about the video output settings. I have a Sony KP-51WS520, rear projection HDTV. Should set the video output to RGB? And also, since the TV is only 1080i, should I turn the 1080p/24 fps to "off", instead of "automatic".
Old 01-28-2008, 02:21 PM

When is the best time to buy a PS3? I've heard that they just reduced the manufacturing cost to half... I'm not in a hurry but would like one ASAP. Should I wait or jump into the 40GB one now (that's the one I want)? Do you think that will discontinue this model since the 120GB/160GB's are coming out? Thanks!