AVS Sony PS3 FAQ (PS3 used as a Blu-ray player) - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 693 Old 02-08-2008, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From the Wikipedia, "DTS-HD Master Audio is a lossless audio codec created by Digital Theater System. It was previously known as DTS++ and DTS-HD. It is an extension of DTS which, when played back on devices which do not support the Master Audio extension, degrades to a 1.5 Mbit/s "core" track which is lossy. DTS-HD Master Audio is an optional audio format for both Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD."

I was watching Edward Scissorhands in Bluray last night. I was sending the audio through my optical link via bitstream, so the PS3 was presumably sending only the core DTS track of this DTS-HD movie to my receiver since the PS3 does not currently handle DTS-HD at all (i.e. it cannot decode it or pass it on to your receiver via bitstream either). For some reason the core DTS track, assuming that is what it was sending to the receiver, was missing channels! For example the rear left was playing the opening music while the rear right was not! I am not sure why this would be. Maybe it was just some mistake in the encoding of that particular disc's core DTS? Has anyone else had something like that happen when trying to play DTS-HD discs?

PS - I ended up just sending the decoded core DTS in stereo via LPCM and having the receiver fake surround to make it sound decent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 693 Old 02-08-2008, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by domitron View Post

I was watching Edward Scissorhands in Bluray last night. I was sending the audio through my optical link via bitstream, so the PS3 was presumably sending only the core DTS track of this DTS-HD movie to my receiver since the PS3 does not currently handle DTS-HD at all (i.e. it cannot decode it or pass it on to your receiver via bitstream either). For some reason the core DTS track, assuming that is what it was sending to the receiver, was missing channels! For example the rear left was playing the opening music while the rear right was not! I am not sure why this would be. Maybe it was just some mistake in the encoding of that particular disc's core DTS? Has anyone else had something like that happen when trying to play DTS-HD discs?

PS - I ended up just sending the decoded core DTS in stereo via LPCM and having the receiver fake surround to make it sound decent.

That title actually has a 4.0 track (the surround is mono). It sounds like your receiver wasn't interpreting this correctly, and was sending that channel to just the left surround instead of to both surrounds.
post #183 of 693 Old 02-09-2008, 05:05 PM

As many of you are aware, early in the life of DVD many of the non-anamorphic DVDs were incorrectly flagged as 4x3 (and not letterbox) as they should have been. In these cases, the PS3 does not correctly fill the screen. By setting the PS3 upscale to "full screen" and adjusting my display to "letterbox", I can get this to display correctly. Is there no single setting on the PS3 that accomplish this more directly? If not, shouldn't there be a setting given the number of DVDs that have this flaw?
post #184 of 693 Old 02-09-2008, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldavis View Post

As many of you are aware, early in the life of DVD many of the non-anamorphic DVDs were incorrectly flagged as 4x3 (and not letterbox) as they should have been. In these cases, the PS3 does not correctly fill the screen. By setting the PS3 upscale to "full screen" and adjusting my display to "letterbox", I can get this to display correctly. Is there no single setting on the PS3 that accomplish this more directly? If not, shouldn't there be a setting given the number of DVDs that have this flaw?

That wouldn't work properly, because then the true 4:3 discs would get zoomed as well. Without the flag, the player has no way of knowing if the content is letterboxed or not.

Then again, I suppose they could have a setting to zoom anything that isn't anamorphic. I'm sure some people would love for it to automatically crop 4:3 content to fill their widescreen TVs.
post #185 of 693 Old 02-09-2008, 06:19 PM

Liked: 11
i have mits hd1000u hooked up via hdmi to ps3, ps3 auto calibration tells me the display can accept 1080i as the highest resolution, my question is how does a 1080p blu-ray gets converted to 1080i and sent via hdmi to display? Am I loosing something in this process?

Sonisame
post #186 of 693 Old 02-09-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrexl View Post

That wouldn't work properly, because then the true 4:3 discs would get zoomed as well. Without the flag, the player has no way of knowing if the content is letterboxed or not.

Then again, I suppose they could have a setting to zoom anything that isn't anamorphic. I'm sure some people would love for it to automatically crop 4:3 content to fill their widescreen TVs.

My point isn't that I wanted to leave the the PS3 in zoomed mode all the time, but just to have one setting to switch to for these flawed discs.

On second thought, there are a limited number of these titles. You could almost have firmware that recognized when one was inserted and make the adjustment automatically, but that might be asking a bit much of Sony. Still, that would be nice and not beyond reasonable possibility
post #187 of 693 Old 02-09-2008, 08:48 PM

Ok last night I went out to rent my first ever blu ray movie to play on the PS3...It's 3:10 to Yuma. Anyway, I started watching the movie and I had to pump the volume up on my tv like 10 points higher than I would playing a PS3 game or watching regular cable television. This seemed odd to me right at the start. I also feel like the soundtrack and sound effects are soooooo much louder than the dialogue. When I turn up the tv to hear the dialogue, then the sound fx are way too loud. I have no AV receiver other than the hdtv itself hooked up to the PS3 via HDMI. My tv is a SHARP Aquos if that helps. My PS3 settings for audio are Linear PCM. Let me know if anything I am doing wrong. Thanks everyone.

Matt
post #188 of 693 Old 02-09-2008, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldavis View Post

My point isn't that I wanted to leave the the PS3 in zoomed mode all the time, but just to have one setting to switch to for these flawed discs.

On second thought, there are a limited number of these titles. You could almost have firmware that recognized when one was inserted and make the adjustment automatically, but that might be asking a bit much of Sony. Still, that would be nice and not beyond reasonable possibility

Okay, so you just wanted to make it easier, so you could switch it on the PS3 and leave the TV alone. What would be nice is if they could assign a zoom feature to one of those colored buttons, since they're for BD and don't do anything for DVD anyway.
post #189 of 693 Old 02-10-2008, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrexl View Post

Okay, so you just wanted to make it easier, so you could switch it on the PS3 and leave the TV alone. What would be nice is if they could assign a zoom feature to one of those colored buttons, since they're for BD and don't do anything for DVD anyway.

Actually, for me, I figured out how to make this much easier (though the solution does have one drawback). I changed the PS3 upscale to "full" and then change the setting on my display for 16x9, LTBX, and 4X3. This has the following effect:

1.) Anamorphic and LTBX flagged content are both unchanged
2.) True 4X3 content is no longer output correctly but requires me to adjust the display - but only 1 single button push, not several. This is the drawback mentioned above. For me, I watch very little 4X3 content (not including menus and FBI warnings) so this is minor.
3.) Incorrectly tagged letterbox content is streached horizontally so all I have to do is push the LTBX button for my display to streach vertically. This is a big improvement over 10 to 15 button pushes to change both the PS3 and display. (Plus -I have to reverse the process when the movie is over).
post #190 of 693 Old 02-10-2008, 07:24 AM

Question:

My PS3 is really putting out some heat at the back, much more than any other components I've had.

I have it vertically right now. Is this normal? Is the fan at the rear? It feels like an old film projector would!
post #191 of 693 Old 02-10-2008, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot1459 View Post

Question:

My PS3 is really putting out some heat at the back, much more than any other components I've had.

I have it vertically right now. Is this normal? Is the fan at the rear? It feels like an old film projector would!

yes your ps3 is a computer and will run as hot as your desktop. expect fan noise and lots of heat.

WIDESCREEN WAS MADE FOR FOOTBALL!!
Anxiously waiting for a next gen HD-Rom media format to replace the old spinning disc technology.
Go Dallas Cowboys!!
post #192 of 693 Old 02-10-2008, 11:10 PM

Liked: 13
I just got my ps3 and hooked iy up to to my samsung ln-t4661f, 1080p lcd flat panel, I had a blu ray player (sony also) the s301 and it worked fine with my TV, but now when I do the "display" set up on the ps3, I don't get a signal on any setting other than 480p...what's going on>> please help
post #193 of 693 Old 02-11-2008, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I know that I will criticized for asking this by the usual suspects. Is there any news regarding the PS3 being able to decode the DTS-HD audio codec? Furthermore, is there any information regarding the PS3 becoming a 2.0 profile player.
post #194 of 693 Old 02-11-2008, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers View Post

I know that I will criticized for asking this by the usual suspects. Is there any news regarding the PS3 being able to decode the DTS-HD audio codec? Furthermore, is there any information regarding the PS3 becoming a 2.0 profile player.

I downloaded the new 2.5 firmware update, and the DTS-HD is now being decoded. It sounds sooo sweet.

I'm surprised you didn't try updating before posting this.
post #195 of 693 Old 02-11-2008, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah OK, the 2.5 firmware update with DTS-HD decoding is not out, but come on. If any word was announced, you would see it in every thread.

We are all waiting for this upgrade. We all want our players to be whole, and be able to decode the High-Def sound. After all that is the point of a High-def format, right? High-Def Audio & Video...

This thread is supposed to be used to build a FAQ, not answer every setup question someone has. The PS3 Owners thread is for that.

OK, end of minor rant...
post #196 of 693 Old 02-11-2008, 02:32 PM

Hi There,

I have converted one of my .AVI file into .WMV format and tried playing it in PS3, but it says un-recognizable format.

(Note: I did set my PS3 options to play WMV (enabled) and is even upgraded with recent firmware)

But not sure why my WMV file couldn't play in PS3. I also tried to play one of my DIVX files, but the same message.

Am I doing any mistake here?

Is there any specific software, which can convert my AVI file into WMV format, which will play fine in PS3?

Also, is there any specific software to convert it into DIVX file and it can play in PS3?

Please let me know your best suggestions.

Thank you all in advance.
post #197 of 693 Old 02-11-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YardleyFFL View Post

Ok last night I went out to rent my first ever blu ray movie to play on the PS3...It's 3:10 to Yuma. Anyway, I started watching the movie and I had to pump the volume up on my tv like 10 points higher than I would playing a PS3 game or watching regular cable television. This seemed odd to me right at the start. I also feel like the soundtrack and sound effects are soooooo much louder than the dialogue. When I turn up the tv to hear the dialogue, then the sound fx are way too loud. I have no AV receiver other than the hdtv itself hooked up to the PS3 via HDMI. My tv is a SHARP Aquos if that helps. My PS3 settings for audio are Linear PCM. Let me know if anything I am doing wrong. Thanks everyone.

Matt

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. What you are experience is the very wide dynamic range of hi-def DVD, much like in a theater.
post #198 of 693 Old 02-11-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappyxavs View Post

yes your ps3 is a computer and will run as hot as your desktop. expect fan noise and lots of heat.

Cool. As long as that is normal.
post #199 of 693 Old 02-11-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YardleyFFL View Post

Matt

Well this may not 100% be your issue but...
I've got an HD DVD player along with my PS3 - a Toshiba XA2. I also noticed that volume levels of Blu-Ray discs were a little below DVDs and HD DVDs. By that I mean that I had to raise the volume a few dBs for my comfortable listening level on the PS3 to get it to match the XA2.

I found this, however - and I'm not sure how many others are using it...

When you pop in your Blu-Ray disc - press the Triangle button. That brings up the "control panel" for Blu-Ray. Look for the "Volume Control" icon (it looks like a speaker ). Click it and bump it up to +1 or +2 (+2 is max). That seemed to equalize my volume levels with the Toshiba XA2.

Link is here
http://manuals.playstation.net/docum.../panel.html#26

You also might want to check for a "dynamic compression" item in the PS3 or your TV (also called "night mode" sometimes). It's possible that you're used to the dynamics being compressed - which means the dialogue and sound effects are close to the same volume level.
post #200 of 693 Old 02-12-2008, 02:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewS99 View Post

You also might want to check for a "dynamic compression" item in the PS3 or your TV (also called "night mode" sometimes). It's possible that you're used to the dynamics being compressed - which means the dialogue and sound effects are close to the same volume level.

I was about to suggest that, but I think the setting in the PS3 only applies to Dolby Digital tracks. Finding it in the TV may be better.
post #201 of 693 Old 02-12-2008, 03:50 PM

I have a Sony XBR4 - 40 inch and got a PS3 about a month ago. I really love the system, it runs much quieter than my Xbox360 and the upscaling on DVDs is also better.

I have noticed that I cannot really see much difference between an upscaled DVD and a blu ray - does this just depend on the disc?

I recently rented The Invasion (with Nicole Kidman) on DVD and then got the blu ray through blockbuster online. Now I didnt sit down and study which was better - I just stuck the blu ray in really quickly before taking it back to exchange - but from what I could tell there was virtually no difference.

Has anyone else noticed this? Am I missing something with my settings? The TV is calibrated and I am using the PS3 settings from the beginning of this thread. Connected through HDMI. Any help would be appreciated.
post #202 of 693 Old 02-12-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OasisNYK View Post

I have a Sony XBR4 - 40 inch and got a PS3 about a month ago. I really love the system, it runs much quieter than my Xbox360 and the upscaling on DVDs is also better.

I have noticed that I cannot really see much difference between an upscaled DVD and a blu ray - does this just depend on the disc?

I recently rented The Invasion (with Nicole Kidman) on DVD and then got the blu ray through blockbuster online. Now I didnt sit down and study which was better - I just stuck the blu ray in really quickly before taking it back to exchange - but from what I could tell there was virtually no difference.

Has anyone else noticed this? Am I missing something with my settings? The TV is calibrated and I am using the PS3 settings from the beginning of this thread. Connected through HDMI. Any help would be appreciated.

I've noticed the same thing on a 43" 720p screen. With a fixed number of available lines, 720 or 1080, the lines per inch change with screen size. A smaller screen has more lines per inch, possibly more than the eye can resolve. Viewing distance also comes into play.

Check out this web site.

Aimez-vous basketball?
post #203 of 693 Old 02-12-2008, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 47
on a smaller screen, HD is not a dramatic increase in image quality like a bigger 50" screen. But you still shud have a noticeable increase in contrast with the blu-ray over SD. I can easily see the difference on my system, and it is a 34" CRT XBR.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #204 of 693 Old 02-12-2008, 11:25 PM

Quote:

I think the PS3 is ugly

Sorry, that's not a question.

LOL
post #205 of 693 Old 02-13-2008, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OasisNYK View Post

A lot of it has to do with how far away you sit from the display and also if your set is calibrated. Of course the Invasion is a recent movie so since the source is brand new the standard dvd should look good also. I personally haven't seen either copy of the Invasion so I couldn't tell you but I definitely notice it from my 50" screen on other movies sitting about 9-10 feet away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Wii number: 8635 5577 9502 4722
post #206 of 693 Old 02-13-2008, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I just got a PS3 & was watching Black Hawk Down. By default it is set to DD5.1. I went through the menu and set it to Uncompressed PCM. Later I found that I could do the same with the Audio button on the blue-tooth remote- use select to see which codec is bein used. Anyway, I went to watch it again, and its back to DD5.1.
Is there a way to set the PS3 to use the highest bit rate audio?
post #207 of 693 Old 02-13-2008, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan007 View Post

I just got a PS3 & was watching Black Hawk Down. By default it is set to DD5.1. I went through the menu and set it to Uncompressed PCM. Later I found that I could do the same with the Audio button on the blue-tooth remote- use select to see which codec is bein used. Anyway, I went to watch it again, and its back to DD5.1.
Is there a way to set the PS3 to use the highest bit rate audio?

No, you have to select it every time, just like with DTS on DVDs. The DD track is going to be the default on many discs, other than Fox and New Line titles which have DTS-HD MA. At least with some, the TrueHD track is the default (with a parallel DD track that will play on non-TrueHD equipment), so no adjustment is necessary on those. You may as well get into the habit of checking every time though.
post #208 of 693 Old 02-13-2008, 03:00 PM

How does the ps3 upconvert SD DVDs via Component cables? will I get 1080i?
post #209 of 693 Old 02-13-2008, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by therayderz View Post

How does the ps3 upconvert SD DVDs via Component cables? will I get 1080i?

DVDs cannot be upconverted through component; at least the ones that are copy protected. And this is not just PS3, no player allows upconverting through component. Some players however do let you upconvert non-copy protected DVDs through component; I'm not sure if PS3 does that.
For commercial DVDs, HDMI/DVI is the only way to go for upconverting

A Home Theater Enthusiast!
post #210 of 693 Old 02-13-2008, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I would volunteer this as a new questions for the FAQ:

1) What is the max upconversion for DVD's on the ps3?
via HDMI: 1080p
via component: 480p
via S-video/composite: 480i

2) What is the max resolution available via BD movies on the ps3?
via component: 1080i

3) What is the max resolution for BD games on the ps3?
via component: 1080p

-Splints
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page