Whats good for an early adopter (guinea pig)? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-18-2008, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well way back in 2000 I jumped and bought myself what was at the time a very nice HDTV, and built a quite decent mid level 5.1 setup. Finally it looks like Blu Ray is going to win so I guess I'm ready to buy a BD player.

My problem is that my RPTV (Toshiba TW56x81, which uses CRT guns) doesn't support HDMI, it has two component inputs (one currently used by my DVD player and the other by the Wii). My 5.1 receiver (some B&K 100watt x 5ch receiver) also doesn't take HDMI audio, but can input either a digital signal via coax or toslink, or analog 5.1 inputs.

I don't really have any desire to upgrade my tv or receiver as they work quite well, and I don't have thousands of dollars lying around to dedicate to such a project.

So my question is what is my best option for a Blu Ray player that will output good 1080i via component and also good 5.1 audio to my receiver? I'd like to keep the price below $500, but will have some wiggle room if there is something dramatically better.

Thanks, Derek

Derek
blogging at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-18-2008, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No real good options at the moment. The Panasonic BD30 is the best player out right now but I don't think it can do any internal audio decoding, just bitstreaming which is worthless if you don't have an HDMI receiver. The BD50 will do everything you need but it's not out yet.

If you are looking for something inexpensive the Samsung BD-P1400 can decode TrueHD and has 5.1 analog outs. It's only $329 on Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-BD-P14.../dp/B000TME35W
post #3 of 8 Old 01-18-2008, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

post #4 of 8 Old 01-18-2008, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Yes I had seen that mentioned in some other posts about the BD30, but don't really understand why its worthless and won't be of value in my situation. I looked at the panasonic web site and it says the player has coax and toslink digital audio outputs. Is this useless because my receiver can only handle DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1?

The other thread at the top of the forum is an overload of info most of which doesn't have to do with the constraints of my somewhat oldish system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnmos View Post

No real good options at the moment. The Panasonic BD30 is the best player out right now but I don't think it can do any internal audio decoding, just bitstreaming which is worthless if you don't have an HDMI receiver. The BD50 will do everything you need but it's not out yet.

Derek
blogging at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-18-2008, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealy663 View Post

Yes I had seen that mentioned in some other posts about the BD30, but don't really understand why its worthless and won't be of value in my situation. I looked at the panasonic web site and it says the player has coax and toslink digital audio outputs. Is this useless because my receiver can only handle DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1?

The other thread at the top of the forum is an overload of info most of which doesn't have to do with the constraints of my somewhat oldish system.

You have analog inputs on your receiver. Find a player that internally decodes advance audio and outputs via analog. Note that the BD30 doesn't therefore you will only get standard DD/DTS.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-18-2008, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Like Donnie is saying, in order to get the best sound you will want a player to decode the audio and send it out over analog 5.1. None of the available players right now can do both Dolby TrueHD and DTS HDMA. The soon to be released panasonic dmp-bd50k will. I would suggest you wait and buy it.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-18-2008, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

If you can't wait for the BD-50 you might want to consider a BD-10. It can output decent 5.1 and decode everything except DTS-HDMA (but you will still be able to play a nice DTS core track with DTS-HDMA titles.)
post #8 of 8 Old 01-19-2008, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 73
please use sticky thread at top. thanks

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page