Can I use Blue Ray with Component Outlet? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-27-2008, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 1080I hdtv. However it is before Hdmi so I only have Component or a DVI Input.(I have no idea what DVI is).
I play my Xbox 360 add on and they look great.
Still I want a Blue Ra player, however someone told me you need Hdmi to use
it to play movies and upscale Dvd's. Any advice
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-27-2008, 05:29 PM

Yes. I output my PS3 via component cable because my receiver and projector do not accept HDMI.

You will not be able to upscale regular DVDs over component but you will still get the benefits of Blu Ray.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-27-2008, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehardin View Post

I have a 1080I hdtv. However it is before Hdmi so I only have Component or a DVI Input.(I have no idea what DVI is).
I play my Xbox 360 add on and they look great.
Still I want a Blue Ra player, however someone told me you need Hdmi to use
it to play movies and upscale Dvd's. Any advice
Thanks

All Blu-ray players output Blu-ray movies at 1080i, DVDs are restricted to 480p over component on all Blu-ray players, HD DVD players and almost all DVD players. Fortunately, many 1080i TVs do a good job of displaying DVDs with just a 480p signal. If your DVI input is HDCP compliant you will even be able to upconvert DVDs -- but I personally think that capability is highly overrated with many HDTVs that scale DVDs very well as it is.
post #4 of 11 Old 01-27-2008, 05:33 PM

As said above, you certainly can use component with a Blu-ray player. However, there are no players on the market (be it Blu-ray, HD-DVD, or SD-DVD) that upscale DVD's over component. What you would be better off doing is using your DVI input. All you would need is a HMDI-DVI cable to hook up the Blu-ray player to your TV (assuming your DVI input is HDCP compliant). DVI is inter-compatible with HDMI, it just does not carry the audio as well as the video like HDMI does. This way you still get upscaling of SD-DVD's.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-27-2008, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

One thing to keep in mind is that BD (and HD DVD) have the requirement to enforce ICT or DOT flags on disc. Currently no disc has ICT/DOT and no studio has announced plan to use it in the future.

ICT will force downgrade to 480p over component.
DOT will disable output over component, vga, or any other non protected output (S-video, composite, non HDCP DVI).

You may want to look to see if the DVI port on your HDTV supports HDCP (tranmission copy protection used for HDMI & DVI). All HDMI ports are required to support HDCP. Some DVI ports so and some don't.

Easy way to check is to buy a $4 HDMI -> DVI cable from www.monoprice.com.

If you can play a disc with no error/warning message then your DVI port supports HDCP and you can use that as an all digital connection.

I am not trying to worry you about ICT/DOT. My SWAG is that ICT won't be enforced before 2012 or so. DOT will likely come 1 or 2 years later.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-28-2008, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
ICT will force downgrade to 480p over component.

It's 960x540. And while verifying what I thought I stumbled on this chart: http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6463_7-6462511-2.html

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #7 of 11 Old 01-28-2008, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

It's 960x540. And while verifying what I thought I stumbled on this chart: http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6463_7-6462511-2.html

larry

I guess the question is do US HDTV support the resolution 960x540? It says " up to 960x540". It was my understanding this was so that for PAL users ICT wouldn't make HD worse than SD DVD and instead make it equal.

Do US HDTV even have 540p in their EDID? If they do then I guess they can get the "slightly not as bad 540p signal".
post #8 of 11 Old 01-28-2008, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by namechamps View Post

One thing to keep in mind is that BD (and HD DVD) have the requirement to enforce ICT or DOT flags on disc. Currently no disc has ICT/DOT and no studio has announced plan to use it in the future.[/b]

I recently started a thread on this subject that was locked. I feel that it will happen sooner or later even if currently there is no announced plan to use it. However my question was asking people what titles they thought would be using this feature.

Even with no announcements, I think the time will come when there's

1. A large base of people who have bought into Blu-ray players.
2. Enough time that has passed so that most people watching Blu-ray movies have the newer screens that accept HDMI.
3. And then it's going to have to be a title that big enough that the studios will be concerned about their property.
4. Even then, it won't be all titles, only limited to choice titles.

And above all, at that point, even the consumers who end up watching titles that have that feature over component connections ON OLDER SETS, won't notice too much of a quality drop since like mentioned earlier, the resolution will be 960x540 and many of the older sets don't display much over 1400x1080i. And in the very end, very few people will be effected or even notice a difference.

So to totally answer the question, yes, you can very easily connect and watch blu-ray movies over component connections.

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #9 of 11 Old 01-28-2008, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardJames View Post

However, there are no players on the market (be it Blu-ray, HD-DVD, or SD-DVD) that upscale DVD's over component.

My Zenith 318 DVD player upscales over component (not that I use it anymore now that I have three BD players). Just pointing out that it is dangerous to make such "ALL/NEVER" kinds of statements.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-28-2008, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have the 318 too - but Maynard said "on the market", meaning still available for purchase.

The 318 has another advantage - it will play scratched or otherwise problem discs that no other player will! It was made for rentals, BD, SD or otherwise.

Go Duke !
post #11 of 11 Old 01-31-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisjan View Post

My Zenith 318 DVD player upscales over component (not that I use it anymore now that I have three BD players). Just pointing out that it is dangerous to make such "ALL/NEVER" kinds of statements.

Seems to me I said "On The Market". There are no players be it DVD, HD-DVD, or Blu-ray ON THE MARKET that upconvert over component, nor will there likely be in the future. This is a fact. Just pointing out that its dangerous to make statements without reading a person's entire post.

I will also make the point of clarifying that this is true only for encrypted DVD's, which of course is most. Un-encrypted DVD's will upscale over component.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page