DTS-MA or do I like gadgets? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-28-2008, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I haven't seen many threads that people have actually heard with their own ears rather discerned the difference through specifications between lossless codecs and lossy codecs.

I have a non-hdmi AV switch and I plan on keeping it for a while. Is it worth the 400+ dollars to get a BD player that will do lossless (over analog) or not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-28-2008, 07:04 PM

Liked: 10
It's only worth it if you don't plan on upgrading your receiver. If your plans involve a new receiver, get one that can decode the advanced codecs and pick a player that can bitstream it over HDMI. As for a difference, I can notice a difference between DD and Dolby TrueHD. It all depends on what you like and how good your hearing is.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-28-2008, 08:13 PM

Can someone clarify whether all BD players can at least bitstream Dolby Digital, or is dependant on the media?

I haven't heard the difference between the two, but I am not yet convinced its worth shelling out the money for a new receiver that can decode the new formats. I am so far quite satisfied with Dolby digital. If anything, most content needs to put more mixing into the surround formats. Also, anyone know if the front channels compressed in Dolby Digital?
post #4 of 8 Old 01-28-2008, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Every Blu-Ray and HD DVD player ever made can bitstream both DD and DTS.

And yes, ALL channels are compressed in Dolby Digital, including the fronts. HIGHLY compressed in the case of SD DVD, less severely (but still pretty bad) on Blu-Ray/HD DVD.

Silence is Golden. Duct Tape is Silver.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-29-2008, 02:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrushedBeerCan View Post

I haven't seen many threads that people have actually heard with their own ears rather discerned the difference through specifications between lossless codecs and lossy codecs.

I have a non-hdmi AV switch and I plan on keeping it for a while. Is it worth the 400+ dollars to get a BD player that will do lossless (over analog) or not?

Do a search with the name "Filmixer" and you might wanna listen what he has to say on that topic. He can actually compare all of the codecs to the original master he mixed himself. Now how many others here can do the same? None!

The Hun
post #6 of 8 Old 01-29-2008, 03:25 AM

Yes. I am a gadget whore too.

Also... I'm not sure if you've realized this by now, but you are reading my sig.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-29-2008, 03:41 AM

You are a gadget Whore. Start actually "watching" the movies and enjoying them and you won't notice any difference...
post #8 of 8 Old 01-29-2008, 04:10 AM

Yes, you can hear the difference. How good are your ears though? Can you discern the difference between DD and DTS? If you can, then you will be pleased to know that, by the numbers, the difference between lossy vs. lossless is many times greater than DD vs. DTS meaning that you will hear the difference much easier. To me, the difference between lossy vs. lossless is actually similar to the difference in clarity, definition and depth of SDTV to HDTV. Of course, any audible difference is listener/system dependent.

For comparison of HDDVD and Bluray discs, including specific reviews of video and audio performance, try highdefdigest.com. They LISTEN to all the codecs and report how they compare with each other.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page