PS3 causes loud hum on TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 02-07-2008, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have connected my 80GB PS3 to a 32" Westinghouse LCD TV by HDMI. After some setup problems, the picture now looks fine. However, the entire time the PS3 is on and the TV input is on HDMI, I hear a very loud hum noise from the TV speakers. I hear this whether playing a game, watching a movie or even if just looking at the setup screen. I do not hear the hum if I change the input to something else or turn off the PS3. I do not have any hum when watching regular TV or satellite TV. The audio output is set (using the automatic setup in PS3) to Linear PCM 2 Channel 48 and 96 HZ. The TV has 2 10W speakers and does not handle Dolby or DTS. In the TV setup, there are no audio options that appear to be useful. Is there a different audio setting in the PS3 or somthing else I might do to eliminate the hum? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-07-2008, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Given that the ps3 has a 3 prong plug, this is likely to cause ground loop issues when connected to an a/v system which contains any other component that also has a 3-prong plug (large amplifiers, powered subwoofers, possibly a large tv). This could also be indicative of a faulty ground condition in the cable (tv) connection (which can be notoriously difficult to pin down or get corrected with the assistance of a cable tv technician).

Generally, what this comes down to is you have to break the ground connection in the offending 3-prong plug, using a cheater plug (available in a hardware store). Naturally, you won't find anyone who would tell you this is a good idea from a safety standpoint. So you have to use your own judgment as to if this is a suitable solution for you or not...do you want to run your ps3 buzz free or not?

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #3 of 20 Old 02-08-2008, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mr Hanky is absolutely correct. I've spent too many hours chasing down ground loops. If it's not the buzzing, you'll get the "60 hz bar", which is a horiizontal light colored bar scrolling down your display.

I find the cheater plug works great. And for $1.28, you'll get rid of that annoying buzz.

Another, safer thing you can do is make sure that ALL of your HT components get plugged into the same outlet(s) that share the exact same ground wire. I've had situtations where one ground (which should be 0 volts) had a +22 voltage potential to another ground! Another place to look is your cable or satellite connection. I've had horrible ground variances between the f-connectors ground and the electrical ground. This can create the same effects I described and they are not healthy for your components.

I don't think I need to tell you to be careful. If you do anything more than install a cheater plug and you aren't precisely certain of what you are doing, call an electrician.

I hope this helps...Will

Red was my first love. Blu is my new wife!
HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

You can't have everything. Where would you put it? Steven Wright
post #4 of 20 Old 02-08-2008, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

The cheater plug is best considered a "short-term solution" until you can narrow down the culprit.
post #5 of 20 Old 02-08-2008, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Everything is plugged into the same outlet, but, since there were only 2 plugs in the outlet, I had to use a 3 way plug adaptor to get some of the other electronics (satellite box, etc.) plugged in. I will try the cheater plug and see how it works. Thanks.
post #6 of 20 Old 02-08-2008, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

the cheater plug will likely do the trick.

to save $1.28 I took a spare PC power cord and sawed off the third prong!
post #7 of 20 Old 02-10-2008, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

The cheater plug did not solve the problem. Is there any reason not to try component video and RCA cables? On a 32" 740P TV, I can't imagine the picture would be noticably worse. Are there any "HDMI only" features on the PS3 I will miss? Thanks.
post #8 of 20 Old 02-11-2008, 04:47 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdharris View Post

The cheater plug did not solve the problem. Is there any reason not to try component video and RCA cables? On a 32" 740P TV, I can't imagine the picture would be noticably worse. Are there any "HDMI only" features on the PS3 I will miss? Thanks.

You will have to buy Sony's AV Component cable ($20 @ the B&M) to support this connection.

Although stated in the manual on page 7, I am told the component output connection will not support 1080p.
post #9 of 20 Old 02-11-2008, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity View Post

Although stated in the manual on page 7, I am told the component output connection will not support 1080p.

The TV set is only 740P so I guess that will not matter.
post #10 of 20 Old 02-11-2008, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

You could also try the ps3 on a different tv, just to see if the buzz remains (...and if so, does the cheater plug work in that setup, unlike your primary setup).

This looks like it will be one of those stubborn ground loops that defies the classic behavior.

post #11 of 20 Old 02-11-2008, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdharris View Post

Did you try the cheater plug on the other 3prong devices??

Rich L

Go Chicago Bears

post #12 of 20 Old 02-11-2008, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlo View Post

Did you try the cheater plug on the other 3prong devices??

No. I'll first try unplugging the other devices (except the TV) and then try the cheater plug on the TV.
post #13 of 20 Old 02-11-2008, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

The tv is 3-prong? I've never heard of this (though, I haven't looked at that many tv's, to be sure). Is it a plasma?

post #14 of 20 Old 02-11-2008, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky View Post

The tv is 3-prong? I've never heard of this (though, I haven't looked at that many tv's, to be sure). Is it a plasma?

The TV is a 3 Prong. It is a Westinghouse 32" LCD. It and the PS3 are the only 3 prong devices connected to that outlet. There is a satellite box (DirecTV) and a VCR, both 2 prong also plugged into that outlet.
post #15 of 20 Old 02-12-2008, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Try removing your satellite or cable connection. I have had MANY instances where there was a huge voltage potential(10 or 20 volts, it should be 0 or very close to it) between my home ground and the collar on the f-connector. If you remove the cable and the hum goes away there's your culprit. Then, call your provider and have them fix it. Don't let them weasel their way out of it, ether.
I hope this helps,,,Will

Red was my first love. Blu is my new wife!
HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

You can't have everything. Where would you put it? Steven Wright
post #16 of 20 Old 02-12-2008, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

I went home at lunch and uplugged eveything except the TV and PS3. I disconnected the antenna cable to the TV and the S-video from the satellite box. When I turned on the PS3, the TV hummed. I tried the cheater plug on the TV and on the PS3...still hummed. After I gave up and hooked everything back up, I thought I would try one last thing. The PS3 was connected to the HDMI-2 input as I intended to connect an HD satellite box to the HDMI-1 input. I connected the PS3 to the HDMI-1 input and the hum stopped. I tried a movie and still no hum. I guess the problem is solved, for now. Why would the HDMI-2 input make a noise and the HDMI-1 does not? Seems very strange to me. I will still have to solve this problem when I get the HD Satellite box.
post #17 of 20 Old 02-12-2008, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

i know some westinghouse TV's have had their extra HDMI ports grafted onto them in a pretty hack-y type way- i.e. the extra ports are on their own PCB and they don't talk to the main processor for the panel correctly. do a search here on AVS and you'll find lots of people fixing HDMI problems on westy's by switching inputs.
it sounds to me like the port that's producing the hum isn't grounded or has other electrical issues.
post #18 of 20 Old 02-12-2008, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Man, if manufacturers are making hdtv's with 3-prong plugs now, they might as well come up with a unified optical-based hdmi standard (or maybe wifi-based?)- pronto. That's really the only hope to clamp down on ground loop hum issues, with so many potential components in an AV setup coming with 3-prong plugs. AV hardware designers should know by now that 3-prong devices are just begging for grounding issues for the end user. It's been a fairly well known issue for over a decade.

post #19 of 20 Old 07-01-2009, 10:01 AM

I have similar issues with my PS3.

I am running the unit through a Sony AV Tuner along with my cable box and an XBox.

I found that when the humming starts, I can "wiggle" the power cable and the humming will diminish. But will get stronger as time moves on. Sometimes wiggling the cable does nothing.

I have tried better power cables with thicker shielding thinking it is a bleed, but no change.

The power cords for all of my AV devices are going through a simple power strip. But even with the PS3 plugged directly into the wall, there is the hum.

Do you think the "cheater plug" would do me any good? Where in the power chain should I put it?
Or, do you think plugging the cable line into the specified port on a surge protector might be a better bet?
post #20 of 20 Old 07-01-2009, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73
If you have satellite, cable, or antenna coax coming into the house try unplugging the coax cable(s) from the wall socket and see what happens.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page