The BEST Blu Ray player is... - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 165 Old 02-14-2008, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Perhaps I'm just tired of reading reviews of promising HD/BR players to learn that their SD playback sucks. I'm ready to purchase a product, but don't or won't throw money away. If the lower priced Toshiba units did SD, I could reason to throw a few hundred dollars away on a format that may have limited future. But without SD playback I'll keep my wallet closed. It is the same thing for the PS3. I'm not a game player - so that aspect is a waste for me. It is just embarrassing that the best BR player isn't a standalone DVD player. Coming from an audio background, playing games with what should be high end video doesn't make much sense to me. BR stumbled out of the blocks, but Sony finally figured out how to beat the HD guys with including BR in the gaming station. Finally a smart move by Sony. They learned their lesson after Beta, which I was an owner of. So besides the BD50, are there any other promising BR players coming out? How long does one need to wait for someone to put at least two formats into one player that doesn’t disappoint?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 165 Old 02-14-2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shack169 View Post

please go to this site. it very helpful in understanding the ps3 stuff.

http://www.edepot.com/playstation3.html

Also, you can buy a $20 remote for PS3 that converts blue tooth to infared for universal remotes via usb on ps3

Thanks for the link to that site. Figured out why my optical output was only 2 channels instead of 5
post #93 of 165 Old 02-15-2008, 03:35 PM

In terms of picture quality, the PS3 is not the best Blu-ray player with my setup. The cheap Sharp blows it away. I have rewatched some movies to see all the detail I was missing with the PS3. Until I bought the Sharp I thought the PS3 picture was great, but that is sadly not the case if you compare the two.

Don't get me wrong, I love the PS3 for Bedroom and Family Blu-ray players, but in my theater the Sharp RULES!
post #94 of 165 Old 02-15-2008, 06:54 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonb View Post

In terms of picture quality, the PS3 is not the best Blu-ray player with my setup. The cheap Sharp blows it away. I have rewatched some movies to see all the detail I was missing with the PS3. Until I bought the Sharp I thought the PS3 picture was great, but that is sadly not the case if you compare the two.

Don't get me wrong, I love the PS3 for Bedroom and Family Blu-ray players, but in my theater the Sharp RULES!

I have a BD30 and PS3 and after a 1.5 hour A/B with the exact same material in both machines paused on the exact same timestamps so I could do an A/B by 1 button push on my RS1 remote, I could tell NO DIF at all at 1080/24p between the PS3 and BD30. This evaluation was done with an RS1 on a 94" screen at a ~1.1 view distance.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #95 of 165 Old 02-16-2008, 01:07 AM

I'm not sure you'll really see the differences on freeze frame. Motion is what a lot of the magic processing does it's work on.
post #96 of 165 Old 02-16-2008, 02:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowenbotten View Post

It is strange to you because your mindset is outdated and stuck in the 90s. The PS3 is an excellent bluray player and media center. We're heading towards a future where a single STB will accomplish a great deal, if not all, of your entertainment needs.

Wanting DTS-HD MA, IR, analog multi-outs and a normal shape is stuck in the 90s?

One could say the same thing about the idea of an all-in-one set-top box, or do the names 3DO and Trip Hawkins mean nothing to you?

Having studied every BD Player out there I can say that YES the PS3 is by far the best BD Player in the market today. The Panasonic BD-50 should end up being a better player when it comes out in a few months, but if you need a BD Player today the PS3, despite its shortcomings, is the only BD Profile 2.0 Player that can be had.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
post #97 of 165 Old 02-16-2008, 02:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 200
When a cheap, reliable Profile 2.0 compatible standalone Blu-ray player is released, I will sell my 40GB PS3 in a heartbeat.

I DESPISE the Siraxis controller that comes with the PS3. I feel like I'm going to crush the damn thing in my hands, it's so flimsy. Also, it is soooo easy to nudge one of the trigger buttons and suddenly send movie playback flying into fast forward mode (I've done this more times than I care to mention). I bought the Blu-ray remote, but the fact that it's not backlit makes it a pain in the arse to use in a darkened theater. I do like using the onscreen controls for movie playback, so I use the Siraxis anyway. I just hope I don't break the damn thing.

I also think that SONY's decision NOT to include IR remote support is one of the most ridiculously stupid moves they've ever made. Why did I even buy a Harmony remote?

My gaming needs are more than ably covered by my XBOX 360, and very, VERY few PS3 exclusives interest me at all. So when that magic Blu-ray standalone finally arrives, my PS3 is out the door.
post #98 of 165 Old 02-16-2008, 10:20 AM

I still find it hard to believe that the winning format has the PS3 as their flagship player. I have one and it works great but I want a good stand alone player to fit my audio rack. I refuse to buy one that doesn't have an Ethernet port for firmware updates so that leaves me with nothing.

And doesn't Blu-ray winning mean higher prices for players? They have no competition. They can price players how ever high they want now. F'ers.
post #99 of 165 Old 02-16-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDL View Post

IAnd doesn't Blu-ray winning mean higher prices for players? They have no competition. They can price players how ever high they want now. F'ers.

Answer to this is taught in every Econ 101 class.
post #100 of 165 Old 02-16-2008, 11:07 AM

i would run back in to grab my P5
post #101 of 165 Old 02-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpstrand View Post

I'm not sure you'll really see the differences on freeze frame. Motion is what a lot of the magic processing does it's work on.

What "magic" processing is done with a 1080/24p signal? From my understanding this just comes straight off the disc untouched. Besides I did watch both in motion as well and could not see ANY noticable dif there either.

post #102 of 165 Old 02-16-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDL View Post

I still find it hard to believe that the winning format has the PS3 as their flagship player. I have one and it works great but I want a good stand alone player to fit my audio rack. I refuse to buy one that doesn't have an Ethernet port for firmware updates so that leaves me with nothing.

And doesn't Blu-ray winning mean higher prices for players? They have no competition. They can price players how ever high they want now. F'ers.

Actually I think the two latest Samsung players have ethernet ports for firmware updates.
post #103 of 165 Old 02-16-2008, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
My interpretation from this thread is that the PS3 would be the best choice now based on its multiple strenths.

I did not hear of anyone mention the PS3 80G mechanical/technical problems that cause it to freeze or malfunction. I know a lot of people have complained of this, and from what I heard especially with the 80G newer version. Does anyone have any updates or info on this issue?
post #104 of 165 Old 02-17-2008, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

I have a BD30 and PS3 and after a 1.5 hour A/B with the exact same material in both machines paused on the exact same timestamps so I could do an A/B by 1 button push on my RS1 remote, I could tell NO DIF at all at 1080/24p between the PS3 and BD30. This evaluation was done with an RS1 on a 94" screen at a ~1.1 view distance.

I am viewing on 119" screen with Marquee 8000 and Moome HDMI card. It is a big difference between the PS3 PQ and the Sharp. I did not expect that and was certainly very happy with PQ of the PS3 until I saw better PQ from the Sharp.

I am not saying the PS3 is bad, just saying the Sharp is a whole nother level. And I compared the Sharp, not a BD30.
post #105 of 165 Old 02-17-2008, 10:19 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonb View Post

I am viewing on 119" screen with Marquee 8000 and Moome HDMI card. It is a big difference between the PS3 PQ and the Sharp. I did not expect that and was certainly very happy with PQ of the PS3 until I saw better PQ from the Sharp.

I am not saying the PS3 is bad, just saying the Sharp is a whole nother level. And I compared the Sharp, not a BD30.

What resolution were both players set to when you compared?

post #106 of 165 Old 02-17-2008, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

The single biggest problem with the PS3 is that it can be used to play games. I personally don't understand how any responsible parent can allow his/her children to play games - it is addictive, and it may lead to carpal tunnel symdrome. Just having the PS3 in the house opens up that possibility.

For me, this one disadvantage far outweights any technical superiority of the PS3 over the SAs.
post #107 of 165 Old 02-17-2008, 12:45 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Burke View Post

The single biggest problem with the PS3 is that it can be used to play games. I personally don't understand how any responsible parent can allow his/her children to play games - it is addictive, and it may lead to carpal tunnel symdrome. Just having the PS3 in the house opens up that possibility.

For me, this one disadvantage far outweights any technical superiority of the PS3 over the SAs.

Nothing wrong with allowing your kids to play games as long as it is done in moderation, and is kept in perspective as far as priorities. You can use parenting skills to accomplish these things. So a parent is irresponsible if he/she allows his/her kids to play games? Pretty judgemental wouldnt you say? If you dont want your kids playing games, that is your choice, but dont critisize me and call me "irresponsible" for rewarding my kids with something they enjoy when all their other work is done. Video games can be a good incentive/reward for kids to do other things well such as school. It all depends on how you use it.

As far as leading to carpal tunnel syndrome, why even get out of bed in the morning if you are that worried as getting out of bed can cause you to trip, hit your head on a nightstand, fall into a coma, etc......sorry I am being a smartass, but are you realy worried about carpal tunnel syndrome? You better not let them play sports as that could lead to much worse injuries.

post #108 of 165 Old 02-17-2008, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Then I guess you can't have a PC in your house either, since they play games too.

Over the years, my two kids had more games than I could count. I rapidly discovered the parent's secret weapon: the "off" button. Works like a charm.
post #109 of 165 Old 02-17-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:

Oh, I get it, you are joking right? Are your kids going to live under a rock? Do you have cable TV?
post #110 of 165 Old 02-17-2008, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

As far as leading to carpal tunnel syndrome, why even get out of bed in the morning if you are that worried as getting out of bed can cause you to trip, hit your head on a nightstand, fall into a coma, etc......sorry I am being a smartass, but are you realy worried about carpal tunnel syndrome? You better not let them play sports as that could lead to much worse injuries.

Huh? We have 2 people with carpal tunnel syndrome in the office, it is a serious and potentially crippling condition, which comes about with repetition over an extended period of time, like game playing. Yes, if my kids play games, I would be worried about it.
post #111 of 165 Old 02-17-2008, 01:00 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slksc View Post

Then I guess you can't have a PC in your house either, since they play games too.

Over the years, my two kids had more games than I could count. I rapidly discovered the parent's secret weapon: the "off" button. Works like a charm.

Or a microwave as that could lead to all sorts of issue later in life....or a cell phone as that could cause cancer, etc.....

post #112 of 165 Old 02-17-2008, 01:03 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Huh? We have 2 people with carpal tunnel syndrome in the office, it is a serious and potentially crippling condition, which comes about with repetition over an extended period of time, like game playing. Yes, if my kids play games, I would be worried about it.

So I take it your kids dont play sports? Sports can lead to all sorts of problems as bad or much worse than carpal tunnel syndrome. I assume you dont let them eat with with a knife as they could cut themselves. Dont buy them a bike as they could crash and break a bone and never be quite right.

post #113 of 165 Old 02-17-2008, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So I take it your kids dont play sports? Sports can lead to all sorts of problems as bad or much worse than carpal tunnel syndrome. I assume you dont let them eat with with a knife as they could cut themselves. Dont buy them a bike as they could crash and break a bone and never be quite right.

But why allow your kids to do things that have no up-sides and only down-sides, like game playing. At family gatherings, the kids are like zombies in front of these games.

Once they turn 18, they can play all the games they want.
post #114 of 165 Old 02-17-2008, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
The Samsung BP-1200 plays SD better than the PS3.

and it plays Blu Ray (picture wise) as good as the PS3

so for my needs... the Samsung is better then the PS3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisLJacob View Post

Are any of you guys familiar with the Hometheater hifi benchmark tests of the PS3? If not the link below will take you there. From their testing, it looks like the PS3 fails a lot of the video tests. I'm not trying to flame here - I just want to find at least one BR or HD DVD player that does SD worth a darn. It apparently is too much to ask one machine to do all three correctly. So I'm open to anyone who can show me a BR or HD DVD player that also does SD DVD. I'm tired of reading tons of forum chat to find out X machine can't do basic SD playback or up sampling.

So my current readings seem to point towards a Toshiba HD-XA2 for HD and SD DVD playback. Does anyone here know of a BR player that also does SD in grand style? Oh for those that say there aren't any owners of old AVR or prepros owners out there that need built in analog outputs of audio have blinders on. I'm not inclined to throw away my prepro or AVR to spend a ton of money for a replacement with HDMI inputs. It’s bad enough to have to buy two (or three) DVD players to get three formats. Add in HD Satellite and I’ve got too many HDMI sources than I have inputs on my projector/HDTV.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...on%203%20(HDMI)

post #115 of 165 Old 02-17-2008, 01:19 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

But why allow your kids to do things that have no up-side and only down-side, like game playing. At family gathering, the kids are like zombies in front of these games.

18? I am sure they are allready playing them at their friends houses which you cant control fully unless you are with them 24/7.

Entertainment is not an upside? Using your brain to solve puzzles is not an upside? Improving your memory is not an upside? Encouraging you not to quit something hard (this value can have an effect on other parts of their life) when you get to a hard part in a game that takes repeated attempts to get passed is not an upside? Learing to deal with anger and frustration is not an upside (which will happen and is a good exercise in self control) Improving hand/eye coordination is not an upside? Learing to work together (if playing a team based game) which is a good value to have for many things in life is not an upside? Having fun with your friends is not an upside? etc....etc.....etc.....

Steve, there are positives and negatives to everything in life and to say there is no upside to game playing is flat out ignorant. It is a hell of an incentive for getting them to accomplish daily goals/chores and is a fun reward for them.

post #116 of 165 Old 02-17-2008, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But why allow your kids to do things that have no up-sides and only down-sides, like game playing.

No up-sides? How 'bout...........FUN !!! How 'bout..............eye hand coordination. How 'bout problem solving skills in games that require it.

Yeah, there are also downsides and risks.............like EVERYTHING in life.

Being a parent is tough. Gotta monitor your kids and prioritize the time that they spend doing things. Or.........you can take the EASY way out and just not allow it.

Allowing a kid to be a kid and allowing them to have fun doing what they like to do is something that I believe EVERY parent should do. But along with that comes the responsability to monitor the time spent doing what they do.

(Opps.........post above was posted as I was writing mine.)

As a side note, I have first hand experience to game addiction, and I am not a kid by a long shot. I became addicted to World of Warcraft on the computer. Serious addiction. I won't go into what that addiction cost me, but trust me, I know the pains associated with addiction, including game addiction, so I don't take this matter lightly, and knowing what I know, if I was a parent again I would still let my kids play...........but with serious monitoring and time constraints.
post #117 of 165 Old 02-17-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:

What resolution were both players set to when you compared?

1080P/24.

Kingdom of Heaven is a very dark movie until they travel to jeruselam. That first scene of the burial is much more clear with the Sharp.
post #118 of 165 Old 02-17-2008, 03:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

But why allow your kids to do things that have no up-sides and only down-sides, like game playing. At family gatherings, the kids are like zombies in front of these games.

There is another option. Just don't buy any games for it. That would be another great life lesson too. Just because it can, doesn't mean that it's going to.

Besides who runs your house, you or your kids?

Thankfully, I don't have any. And I know games can be quite addictive. I'm still playing Q2, in between sneaking looks at AVS.....

Seggers

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #119 of 165 Old 02-18-2008, 04:00 AM

I do agree with a lot of the posts regarding the PS3 being the best Blu-ray player on the market, but it is still far off from being the ultimate Blu-ray player that everyone wants.

The Panasonic BD-50 does have analogue outs and will handle DTS-HDMA yes, but the image processing will leave a lot to be desired. It uses Panasonics own UniPher processing, which can be found on the BD-30, so is incapable of deinterlacing 1080i content correctly, such as those found on music concerts, nature programs etc and is also seriously flawed when it comes to upscaling SD-DVD content. As most of us would have a substantial DVD collection, having one player upscale and provide the ultimate Blu-ray visual and audio experience is a requirement in my opinion, not a bonus.
post #120 of 165 Old 02-18-2008, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsaeire View Post

I do agree with a lot of the posts regarding the PS3 being the best Blu-ray player on the market, but it is still far off from being the ultimate Blu-ray player that everyone wants.

The Panasonic BD-50 does have analogue outs and will handle DTS-HDMA yes, but the image processing will leave a lot to be desired. It uses Panasonics own UniPher processing, which can be found on the BD-30, so is incapable of deinterlacing 1080i content correctly, such as those found on music concerts, nature programs etc and is also seriously flawed when it comes to upscaling SD-DVD content. As most of us would have a substantial DVD collection, having one player upscale and provide the ultimate Blu-ray visual and audio experience is a requirement in my opinion, not a bonus.

I agree. Unipher is not as good as other scaling and deinterlacing chips out there as we have read on HT forum review sites before.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page