Will any U.S. Blu-Ray Player play PAL? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 02-12-2008, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just wondering if any of the US Blu-Ray players will play PAL Blu-Ray Movies?

Hopefully PS3?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 02-12-2008, 07:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 55
This thread should help

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&highlight=pal

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #3 of 27 Old 02-13-2008, 04:39 AM

Liked: 10
I have got a panasonic bd10a us one and it will not play pal at all. you need about 5 or 6plays to play stuff
post #4 of 27 Old 02-13-2008, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertStern View Post

Hopefully PS3?

Thanks in advance.

I am pretty sure that no US player plays SD PAL DVD.
post #5 of 27 Old 02-13-2008, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKNA View Post

I am pretty sure that no US player plays SD PAL DVD.

I could care less about PAL "DVD" playback..

I am looking for PAL BLU-RAY playback..
post #6 of 27 Old 02-13-2008, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I could care less about PAL "DVD" playback..

I am looking for PAL BLU-RAY playback..

What is PAL Blu-ray? There is no such thing as PAL Blu-ray or PAL HD! HD is HD!!! This is an epidemic on this forum last few days, calling HD PAL or NTSC.
Again HD is HD!!!

All Blu ray discs are 24fps for filmed content and 60Hz for video. There is no releases on Blu-ray so far that are 50Hz.

The only thing that may stop you from playing Blu-ray from Europe is region coding. US and Japan are region A and Europe is region B, though most disc are not coded.

PS, I created 1080i 50Hz Blu-ray at home and my Panny BD10 played it, but picture was stuttering.
post #7 of 27 Old 02-13-2008, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

What is PAL Blu-ray? There is no such thing as PAL Blu-ray or PAL HD! HD is HD!!! This is an epidemic on this forum last few days, calling HD PAL or NTSC.
Again HD is HD!!!

All Blu ray discs are 24fps for filmed content and 60Hz for video. There is no releases on Blu-ray so far that are 50Hz.

The only thing that may stop you from playing Blu-ray from Europe is region coding. US and Japan are region A and Europe is region B, though most disc are not coded.

PS, I created 1080i 50Hz Blu-ray at home and my Panny BD10 played it, but picture was stuttering.

I don't live in Europe, so all I know is the Blu-Ray I was looking at purchasing said it was in the PAL format. So, maybe the vendor is misrepresenting the item..

Anyhow, this is good news.

Thanks
post #8 of 27 Old 02-13-2008, 02:41 PM

Probably the vendor is referring to the specs for SD DVD playback on the machine, since there's no such designation on HD.

Having said that, if it is manufactured for a PAL region, then it's likely to be set for one of the non-U.S. Blu-Ray region codes.
post #9 of 27 Old 02-13-2008, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

Again HD is HD!!!

According to the AVS forum, in the Blu-ray software bit, there is a UK Blu-ray title called "Death Sentence" that is encoded at 50hz.

Also, "Planet Earth" was "filmed" at 50i HD and 25p 16mm film cameras (but was converted for some HD releases)
post #10 of 27 Old 02-13-2008, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs View Post

According to the AVS forum, in the Blu-ray software bit, there is a UK Blu-ray title called "Death Sentence" that is encoded at 50hz.

Also, "Planet Earth" was "filmed" at 50i HD and 25p 16mm film cameras (but was converted for some HD releases)

If Death Sentence is really at 50Hz and film based then it makes unwatchable due horrible 50Hz sound speed up. The whole idea is to get rid of it. I know that there are shows recorded at 50Hz but so far all of them were converted to 60Hz for release on Blu-ray or HDDVD.
post #11 of 27 Old 02-13-2008, 07:04 PM

I just re-burned a region2 Pal DVD as a region 0. lt would not play on my US PS3. I guess I need to convert it to NTSC region 0 in order to see it on PS3.
post #12 of 27 Old 02-13-2008, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

If Death Sentence is really at 50Hz and film based then it makes unwatchable due horrible 50Hz sound speed up. The whole idea is to get rid of it. I know that there are shows recorded at 50Hz but so far all of them were converted to 60Hz for release on Blu-ray or HDDVD.

It might be watchable to UK viewers though (ie. they may not notice the changed pitch/speed as much), seeing as probably at least 90% of standard definition DVDs released in the UK will be speeded up for 'PAL' (25/50hz) releases.
post #13 of 27 Old 04-29-2011, 10:10 AM

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but thought I might have some useful info for some here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs View Post

Yes, there are many 1080i/50-encoded BR titles in Region B. Many of them are UK TV shows that were recorded/post-produced in 1080i/50 and is, therefore, the "most correct" format for them to be released in, but some home video companies (Entertainment In Video the most notorious) who have taken 1080/60 or 1080/24 material and released it in 1080/50, thereby causing the speedup that used to plague PAL releases of feature films.

Quote:
I know that there are shows recorded at 50Hz but so far all of them were converted to 60Hz for release on Blu-ray or HDDVD.

In the USA, yes (primarily due to the fact that many players/TV don't work with 50hz material), but in the UK, there are several released in their native 50hz format. The ones that are released as 60hz in the UK are all down to economics (the BBC were too cheap to do a separate 50hz version of "Doctor Who: The Specials" for the UK market, as it was easier to use one master for the whole world. There were some fan complaints which may have led to their decision to release a 50hz version of "Series 5" when it came time for that release).
post #14 of 27 Old 04-29-2011, 05:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

not sure about the states..

90% of the dvd/brd are universal when playback of r1, r2, r4, region a and region b material..

some dvd disc's may poor replay value over hdmi due to pal and ntsc playback..

trying to force 24fps playback on a 30fps encoded disc will cause nothing but playback issues..

not sure where you are robert, stand alone players may cause no issue in multiregion discs in relation to brd and dvd playback. the oppo might be the only brd player in the states that is compatible for multiregion use within the us..

ps3 on the other may be region locked to a particular region area so play back multiregion disc's might not be possible...
post #15 of 27 Old 04-29-2011, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic_sniper28 View Post

not sure about the states..

90% of the dvd/brd are universal when playback of r1, r2, r4, region a and region b material..

some dvd disc's may poor replay value over hdmi due to pal and ntsc playback..

trying to force 24fps playback on a 30fps encoded disc will cause nothing but playback issues..

not sure where you are robert, stand alone players may cause no issue in multiregion discs in relation to brd and dvd playback. the oppo might be the only brd player in the states that is compatible for multiregion use within the us..

ps3 on the other may be region locked to a particular region area so play back multiregion disc's might not be possible...

It's my understanding that Oppo BD players sold in the US are BD region locked.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #16 of 27 Old 04-29-2011, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
There are options to make it region free for both DVD and BD.

831 Blu-ray Discs
70 HD DVD Discs
796 DVD's

post #17 of 27 Old 04-30-2011, 01:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

since i live outside the us i'd likely have to make the oppo compliant lol...

my opinion region locking is rather stupid in the 1st place..

i know my sony is universal in dvd/brd playback
post #18 of 27 Old 05-21-2011, 10:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Hopefully PS3?

Thanks in advance.

Bought a PS3 (USA) in '09 and just updated it from 2.60 to 3.60 firmware.

Also just discovered that a so-called region-free Blu-ray 4-disc set, "Little Dorrit" co-produced by WGBH/BBC, won't play on my Sony PS3 machine. Only a blank screen. European Dorrit sales began last August with only region B discs. Then last month supposedly region-free disc ads appeared.

Packaging for the Dorrit--plus a co-ordered 'region-free' "Bleak House" (not opened)--are only marked 1080i and SD 16X9 (extra feature). Looks like it's a 50-Hz disc problem, which my US-acquired PS3 doesn't handle. My Dorrit source, Amazon.co.uk, sent a pre-shipment e-mail saying opened discs can't be returned for refunds. (Lots of U.S.-sold players will handle 50i discs, though.) -- John
post #19 of 27 Old 07-25-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:

Hopefully PS3?

If you're talking about PAL standard-definition content on BluRay discs (as there is no such things as PAL blu-ray content), then you are definitely out of luck with the PS3.

You're also out of luck if you want to play anything Region B locked or anything that is encoded 1080/50hz.

The American PS3 only plays Region A, 60hz and NTSC.

For those of you interested in 1080/50hz disc compatibility, here is a list of 50hz-compatible players here. Pay close attention as some players convert 50hz discs to 60hz and some do not, requiring a 50hz-compatible television.

By the way, Oppo players will play and convert 50hz content (depending on your needs) and will also play PAL content either as PAL (if your TV supports it) or as an NTSC conversion. It can also be rendered region-free for both Blu-Ray and DVD with a simple add-on.
post #20 of 27 Old 08-09-2011, 05:21 AM

Can i ask if somebody knows why here in England almost all the HD camcorders record only at 30 fps. Why 30 fps? We are a PAL region which is 25 fps. In reading this forum, am i right in saying that the reason why HD camcorders on sale here in England only record at 30 fps is because 30 fps is the worldwide standard for HD video? Will this cause any problems when making Blu-ray movies to play on Blu-ray players in a PAL TV region? i.e. obviously you'd have to edit & stitch the clips together in 30 fps mode, but what happens when you go to burn your Blu-ray disc? The burning process of the editors I’ve tried still ask if you want to burn a PAL or NTSC Blu-ray! What happens if you burn a PAL Blu-ray with 30 fps video clip content?
post #21 of 27 Old 08-09-2011, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by djboshh View Post

Can i ask if somebody knows why here in England almost all the HD camcorders record only at 30 fps. Why 30 fps? We are a PAL region which is 25 fps. In reading this forum, am i right in saying that the reason why HD camcorders on sale here in England only record at 30 fps is because 30 fps is the worldwide standard for HD video? Will this cause any problems when making Blu-ray movies to play on Blu-ray players in a PAL TV region? i.e. obviously you'd have to edit & stitch the clips together in 30 fps mode, but what happens when you go to burn your Blu-ray disc? The burning process of the editors I’ve tried still ask if you want to burn a PAL or NTSC Blu-ray! What happens if you burn a PAL Blu-ray with 30 fps video clip content?

As you may have seen elsewhere, the distinctions between PAL and NTSC are irrelevant for high definition Blu-Ray content. High definition recordings on Blu-Ray are neither PAL nor NTSC (or SECAM for that matter). Blu-Ray supports the same set of high definition frame rate options worldwide and any Blu-Ray using one of those should play on any Blu-Ray player. Almost all commercial HD movies are stored in their original 24fps format on Blu-Ray regardless of where they will be played back. Consumer HD cameras are usually 30fps (or 29.97) everywhere though there are some other capture rates. Some professional high definition video is recorded at 25 or 50 or 60fps but they may or may not end up stored on a BR disc at those frame rates. A Blu-Ray player is supposed to be smart enough to work with whatever your local high definition TVs support and display the content properly. The only exception may be high-definition video captured on the BR disc at 50fps. This seems to cause issues on some North American players. There is not a lot of this kind of material around though.

Part of the problem is that a Blu-Ray disc is also just a container and you can store PAL or NTSC content on it (or any other kind of data) but that is not high definition video material.

post #22 of 27 Old 08-09-2011, 09:09 AM

Wow, thanks so much for your plain English & straight to the point reply. I've been trying to work it out for myself and didn't get very far. Now i know.

Thanks again
post #23 of 27 Old 10-09-2011, 03:13 AM

Quote:

Again HD is HD!!!

While the HD picture size may be a standard 1920x1080 there are different encoding rates for PAL.

The US rate is 1080i/60, 30frames per second, UK is 1080i/50 - 25fps

see url en(wikipedia(org/wiki/1080i . replaced with ( to allow U R L post

For US bluray players that will play PAL see www(
220-electronics(com/dvd/multi_region_blu_ray_dvd_player(html

I have received an email from Panasonic Customer Support which states that none of their US bluray players will play a PAL bluray disk even if it has no region encoding.
post #24 of 27 Old 10-09-2011, 03:37 AM

djboshh : Almost all editing software will give you burn options of 1080i/50 (25fps) and will give you a satisfactory result (also 1080i/60 if you want to send a copy to a friend in the USA)
post #25 of 27 Old 10-09-2011, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djboshh View Post

Can i ask if somebody knows why here in England almost all the HD camcorders record only at 30 fps. Why 30 fps? We are a PAL region which is 25 fps. In reading this forum, am i right in saying that the reason why HD camcorders on sale here in England only record at 30 fps is because 30 fps is the worldwide standard for HD video? Will this cause any problems when making Blu-ray movies to play on Blu-ray players in a PAL TV region? i.e. obviously you'd have to edit & stitch the clips together in 30 fps mode, but what happens when you go to burn your Blu-ray disc? The burning process of the editors I've tried still ask if you want to burn a PAL or NTSC Blu-ray! What happens if you burn a PAL Blu-ray with 30 fps video clip content?

Almost all editing software will give you a burn option of 1080i/50 - 25 fps resulting in a satisfactory bluray disk (or AVCHD on DVD)

Also you could burn at 1080i/60 if you wanted to send a bluray disk to a friend in the USA
post #26 of 27 Old 10-11-2011, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Yes, the OPPO BDP-93 can. It will convert PAL to NTSC, as a matter of fact.

It's one of the reasons why I wish my Sony player would die already so I can pick up that bad boy.
post #27 of 27 Old 10-13-2011, 10:39 AM

The Oppo BDP-83 can play PAL DVDs without any problem (as long as they are region-free). I have done so.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page