Do you want blu-ray to remain niche? - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 171 Old 02-20-2008, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It (what ppl around here *want*) doesn't really matter.

I can't imagine how blu-ray can remain a niche product if it is the interest of all big players (CE, Studios, stores) that it doesn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 171 Old 02-20-2008, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Catalog titles are niche. If blu-ray stays niche, that's a niche of a niche. So far, older catalog titles haven't sold well at all. IIRC, Casablanca only sold a few thousand copies. They can't make money with those numbers.

That's the problem with being different from the general public, they're the ones catered to. Which means they don't have cars with enough leg or headroom, my size shoes in stock, or movies with a decent story.

"We've done the impossible, and that makes us mighty!" - Captain Malcolm Reynolds
post #153 of 171 Old 02-20-2008, 05:10 PM

BR, I hope doesn't remain niche. It would be a shame to lose the only method that will ever be known for watching 1080P content.

1080P with lossless codecs will never be available through cable or Apple TV. Even FIOS is too bandwith limited.

I fear that BR has some work to do still not to become niche. They need final spec, full-featured players which require no firmware updates, are not buggy, and turn off/on, stop/resume, and start the movie as fast if not faster than current DVDs.

Further, they need to both develop a combo BR/DVD disc and figure out a way to make the format portable beyond carrying around a laptop. If BR players can't be miniaturized or copied onto a format for transport, I am afraid that J6P will see this as a negative and a step back.

I hope BR doesn't become niche, because if it does, I suspect the BDA will drop it like a hot potato in its next iteration of HDM due to the enhanced costs and start on reduced quality downloads which they will tout as tranformational.

BR has a future...just not sure what that holds.
post #154 of 171 Old 02-29-2008, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamian View Post

PS3 has a fan?

about 10,000,000 worldwide...and counting....can you hear it now ????
post #155 of 171 Old 02-29-2008, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmvolt View Post

Yes unfortuantely the PS3 still runs hella hot with all those fans....

No one wants BD to stay niche but it will......there is too much competition in the marketplace now for HD as well as DVD and in 5 years do you really thing DL movies will not improve on quality of delivery?

Just like the internet went from dial up to broadband so will hd.

XBOX Gamertag:deezusmusic
post #156 of 171 Old 02-29-2008, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Hell No! I want my HD audio and video!
post #157 of 171 Old 03-01-2008, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmvolt View Post

but but but gamers don't watch movies
post #158 of 171 Old 03-01-2008, 04:07 AM

Liked: 11
Gamers will watch movies, if there aren't enough games. The PS3 is the greatest blu ray player of all time.

Cheers
post #159 of 171 Old 03-01-2008, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=999018

Nuff'said.

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

post #160 of 171 Old 03-01-2008, 07:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

I would like for HDM to be more successful and wider spread than DVD. Every single CE building players at every price level, and as good an encode as the media allows for every title.

In a few years there would be bargain bins at the B and M s with HDM for $2.99 at which time I would buy a bunch.

For now a couple hundred Red and Blu at under $10 will have to suffice.

Jerry the HT Nut
post #161 of 171 Old 03-02-2008, 07:41 AM

This thing is going to blow wide open.

Studios like to see bigger prices which they can have for a while with Bluray. I would expect to see a transition for them from DVD. Why? The players will come down to commodity prices soon. Also how many of you know people with big screen TV's. The penetration is quite large. Also it will grow due to confusion over the Digital transition next year. Peopl have the TV's there is incentive for the studios to try to make more money per copy, the players will come down in price... DVD players will fade away to be replaced by Bluray.

Did any of you watch how DVD moved in? Admitedly Bluray shares a the same features that moved people from VHS to DVD (random access, smaller size) but it is the studios and manufacturers who will move us.

And don't get me started on downloads. They won't be worth a darn for quite a few years.
post #162 of 171 Old 03-02-2008, 09:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by seggers View Post

Considering HDM is still in its infancy, methinks you'll be waiting for a while.

And, BTW, there are more companies that make BD players than Sony, and more companies in the BDA than Sony.

But it's true, 2.0 isn't widely out there yet.

Seggers

2.0 is not out there at all. Widely is hardly an appropriate word.

Jerry the HT Nut
post #163 of 171 Old 03-02-2008, 10:23 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by badwilly View Post

For me, I just don't care. I liked my HD DVD. BD isn't complete, costs more and Sony is a company I will not do business with. There will be no BD in my AV rack. I will wait for the next innovation. Besides, the arrogance and what I considered bad behaviour by the gamers turned me off.

Better take this time to come up with some new reasons to hate BD because in June when the BD50 hits the streets all the "BD isn't complete" stuff is going to be irrelevant.
post #164 of 171 Old 03-02-2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnj1958 View Post

Better take this time to come up with some new reasons to hate BD because in June when the BD50 hits the streets all the "BD isn't complete" stuff is going to be irrelevant.

Don't worry, they'll come up with something.

How many of them really care about profile 2.0 anyway if they are ready to accept low quality downloads with no interactivity?

Besides, they still have their old standbys: "downloads are poised to take over the market" and "BD players aren't $99 yet".
post #165 of 171 Old 03-03-2008, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey View Post

but but but gamers don't watch movies

Trudat, trudat....gamers spend cash on winning formats....not wannabe's
post #166 of 171 Old 03-03-2008, 12:33 AM

"niche is the new black"...or so I've heard from the early adopters who mistook HD-DVD as the format of choice...let it go...
post #167 of 171 Old 03-03-2008, 04:10 AM
Advanced Member

In an attempt to get the thread back to the OP...

I want thousand of movies on BD. And as far as the discussions about what if this and that and will the quality go down/up etc. I don't really know and I can't really care. If I had that crystal ball I wouldn't be typing this now would I?

SOOOOOOOO, in the meantime I'll be enjoying HDM on both formats because as of yesterday I joined the evil side.
post #168 of 171 Old 03-03-2008, 02:34 PM

I'm thinking NO to "niche". Sony probably has a window of opportunity of maybe five years, before movie downloads become the norm. Sony is going to want to push as much product as they can over that period. And since the studios already threw their hat down with Blu-Ray, they are going to want to crank out as many titles as people will buy. DVD sales were off last year according to a fairly recent USA Today article. "For the first time since the format was launched in 1997, consumers spent less on DVDs than in the previous year."

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/...slippage_N.htm

The last sentence in that USA Today article reads;

"With one format, the industry can promote Blu-ray to the masses."

Only time will tell...

Mike

"It's not about having more money, it's about getting more out of life for the money you have."
post #169 of 171 Old 03-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

I totally, completely, absolutely want BR to be niche. I enjoy being one step ahead of the technology curve, and I get plesaure from guests getting blown away by good PQ and SQ.

That was why I had laserdiscs when everyone else had VHS, and why I had BR/HD-DVD when everyone else had DVDs. $2,000 starting point for a BR player is about what laserdisc players were worth, adjusting for inflation. And $100 starting point for a movie is about what I paid for laserdiscs in today's dollars. Since I am significantly better off (financially) today than 20 years ago, I am actually willing to pay higher than those prices.

I am willing to pay those prices, as long as BR is not mass-market. Once they are, my expectation becomes $200 for players and $10 for movies.
post #170 of 171 Old 03-03-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Burke View Post

I totally, completely, absolutely want BR to be niche. I enjoy being one step ahead of the technology curve, and I get plesaure from guests getting blown away by good PQ and SQ.

I get pleasure from letting guests' kids play Grand Theft Auto on my PS3 while I get blown away by some crack in the next room.
post #171 of 171 Old 03-04-2008, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO821 View Post

Um, yeah. They're only slightly louder than hell. Not that the 360 is any better.

My Ps3 is silent. Maybe theres something wrong with yours, or its not getting proper airflow.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page