Is it in Microsoft's best interest to release a Blu-ray add-on? - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 215 Old 02-19-2008, 06:28 PM
eci

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashid11 View Post

If MSFT wants to stay competitive with PS3, they will have to come up with something. Technically, it is not hard to do. Financially, with their muscle, they can may be get a $150 price tag on it.

Basically, with PS3 you get a killer gaming machine _and_ a future-proof BD player (or, at this point, we can call it High Definition player).

As long as MSFT can not say same about Xbox , they will suffer, loosing customers to Sony.

Consoles are for games. That's where it counts for them. Microsoft is annihilating Sony in game sales.

With a PS3 you do NOT get a "killer gaming machine.". That would require more than 2 or 3 AAA games.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 215 Old 02-19-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg345 View Post

The question is: is time on the side of HDM? Warner seemed to think not ... a few years might be too long. And TV broadcasts going digital are only really going to affect those getting their content OTA, which is a small percentage of the population -- and the reason they're getting their content OTA is likely either because Cable isn't available or because they simply cannot afford it. I'm guessing those people will get the free convertor box before dropping hundreds if not a thousand dollars on a new HDTV.

Yea, and there still are people that don't own DVD's but watch movies on their VCR's. Come on, let's get real. I am talking about the majority of consumers, not the ones that still use typewriters. According to Nielsen 66% of US households have 3 or more TV's. You can't tell me that most of these consumers will not have an HDTV by 2010 (many of them already do). Also if you consider how many people buy TV's every year and the fact that analog TV's have been phased out and HDTV's are the norm. All of this is a shot in the arm for Blu-Ray.
post #213 of 215 Old 02-19-2008, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capablanca View Post

Yea, and there still are people that don't own DVD's but watch movies on their VCR's. Come on, let's get real. I am talking about the majority of consumers, not the ones that still use typewriters. According to Nielsen 66% of US households have 3 or more TV's. You can't tell me that most of these consumers will not have an HDTV by 2010 (many of them already do). Also if you consider how many people buy TV's every year and the fact that analog TV's have been phased out and HDTV's are the norm. All of this is a shot in the arm for Blu-Ray.

Sorry, you were using the analog shutdown as reasoning for a large boost in HDTV volumes, I was only suggesting why that line of thinking could be a little off base.

I'm not sure what your numbers are though ... 66% of households have 3 or more TV's, and you're saying many have an HDTV? I thought HDTV penetration when factoring out multiple HDTV's in a single home was in the 20-something percent range?

Will there be an upsurge in HDTV sales? Sure, for one the reasons you mentioned -- they are all that is available. But expect many of those purchased to be the lower cost units which are taking over the price points of traditional CRT's and SDTV's. If Blu-ray players remain in the vicinity of $400 for the next 2 years, you'd be asking consumers to spend 50-100% more than they did on their TV to buy a player. That's going to be a stretch. Granted, I'm not thinking the same player today will remain $400 for the next 24 months, but we haven't seen a Profile 2.0 player's MSRP yet that would allow us to come up with an educated guess as to how it would be affected by normal price reductions over time. Considering the BDA CE's have, as a whole, been complaining about the erosion of player prices due to Toshiba's strategy, do you think that they are going to try to maintain some margin now that they can? Or erode those player prices now based on their own internal competition?

You're talking 2010 here, that's 2 years from now ... I'm hopeful Blu-ray player pricing is below $200 by then for Profile 2.0 units, and I agree there should be many more HDTV's in homes.

Again, is time on the side of HDM? You're predicting 2 years out for things to take off -- Warner seems to think the window is small for this to work.

Right now, HDM is a premium product mostly for those audiophiles and videophiles that can appreciate the improved PQ/AQ. When many consumers who have HDTV's now think that upconverted SD DVD is 'good enough' in relation to the price of HDM, I think the least of the format's worries are HDTV penetration numbers.

IOW: If average HDTV owners don't see value in the product, it's going to be even harder to sell to an SDTV owner who is upgrading his set.

Remember, as time moves on, 2 years from now, codecs will be much more efficient and things like VOD and HD via Cable will be much improved -- and there are several large companies pushing these technologies now. The end of the format war may have just made the window ever so slightly smaller.
post #214 of 215 Old 02-20-2008, 12:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpe8598 View Post

There is no argument. We both agree that the PS3 launched with more features and doesn't break, so you won't have to buy another down the road.

The PS3 doesnt break. Weird. I've seen many of threads about PS3 failures. Nowhere near the level the RROD..

But I'd have to say thats about as false a statement as I have ever read.

Xbox Live & PSN gamertag- Daekwan
www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #215 of 215 Old 02-20-2008, 02:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCunited View Post

No they will not produce a bluray drive know. Maybe when the new xbox that will be out 2010 will. Do not be suprised if universal does not produce movies in bluray in the next 2 years either. Bestbuy will stop having hd dvd movies next month aswell, inside information that i have recieved.

Thanks Mr. 11 posts. I'll mark my calendar now...Universal BD's starting in 2010
Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page