AVS Forum banner

Displays that support 1080p/24 signal at multiplies of the original frame rate

145K views 350 replies 111 participants last post by  HDTV1080P24 
#1 ·
#77 ·
5 Sony LCD screens added to the list

It appears that Sony is just like Pioneer and all of their displays every made that have a 1080P/24 input will refresh the image on the screen at multiplies of the original frame. Hopefully my sources are correct. According to one of my sources and a review link from PC magazine there are 5 Sony 1080P 60HZ LCD's that will refresh 1080P/24 material at 48HZ on the screen. Watching 48HZ on a LCD will reduce or eliminate 3:2 pulldown judder but it also will produce some smearing and flickering. It would be better to purchase a 120HZ LCD from Sony since the picture quality is much better compared to the normal Sony LCD screens. Higher refresh rates in general have a better picture quality especially for a LCD screen. 48HZ looks good on a Front projector but not recommended for LCD refresh rates since LCD main weakness is motion blur especially at lower refresh rates. The elements in a LCD screen are slower to respond on the screen compared to other technologies like CRT, Plasma, and SXRD (LCOS) displays.

Sony LCD screens that have been added to the list

Sony KDL-52W3000 (48HZ)
Sony KDL-46W3000 (48HZ)
Sony KDL-40W3000 (48HZ)
Sony KDL-46V3000 (48HZ)
Sony KDL-40V3000 (48HZ)

The KDL-46V3000's HDMI port also accepted 1080p input at 24 Hz (1080p24), and Sony claimed the TV automatically displays this video format using a 48 Hz refresh rate (24 Hz x 2 - an even multiple) that eliminates the shaking/wobbling effect known as judder that is caused when 24p material is converted for display on a typical (60 Hz refresh rate) HDTVthe telecine process. Viewing examinations using 24p video material confirmed the KDL-46V3000 did reduce judder producing admirably smooth panning shots, however, the reduced refresh rate (48 Hz) did introduce additional flicker into some vertically orientated details as the camera panned.

Negatives
Sadly, despite an otherwise strong showing, when displaying scenes depicting lots of motion, the KDL-46V3000 was among the most smear-prone sets I've seen. Viewing angles, however, did affect the perception of color quality. Loss of saturation was obvious in skin tones starting at 20 degrees off-axis from the center of the screen.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2210884,00.asp

#79 ·
Wow - I subscribe to @20 threads and this is the first time i'm posting the same query three times:

HDTV1080P - in a different forum it was suggested you review the Mitsubishi Diamond series but you said you couldn't since you said the sets weren't available in the US yet - well they've been here for a while and I have the 73833 yet you have not posted any review regarding it's ability to do 24fps.

#81 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker /forum/post/13199979

Wow - I subscribe to @20 threads and this is the first time i'm posting the same query three times:

HDTV1080P - in a different forum it was suggested you review the Mitsubishi Diamond series but you said you couldn't since you said the sets weren't available in the US yet - well they've been here for a while and I have the 73833 yet you have not posted any review regarding it's ability to do 24fps.
I wish I had the time to review displays, All the reviews I post come from professional magazines like Perfect Vision, Widescreen Review, Home Theater magazine, Sound and Vision, and several other publications. Of all the reviews that I have read Mitsubishi for both their LCD and DLP displays has been using a 3:2 pulldown process for their 60HZ and 120HZ displays.

Quote on Mitsubishi WD-65831
“Not many sets can do 1080p/24. But although it will accept this resolution and frame rate, as far as I could determine the Mitsubishi cannot operate at multiples of 24Hz (the native rate of film) like 48 and 72Hz, which would effectively eliminate judder induced by 3/2 pulldown.”
http://ultimateavmag.com/rearproject...07mitswd65831/

Mitsubishi 144 and 244 series 120HZ LCD’s are using 3:2 pulldown process quote

A major feature here, and one that's starting to show up on more and more sets, particularly flat panel LCDs, is 120Hz operation. Mitsubishi calls this "Smooth120Hz," and it's available only on the company's 144- and 244-series sets. It doubles video's standard 60Hz frame rate to 120Hz, which is claimed to produce less motion blur (a particular weakness of LCD flat panel displays). The added frame is not simply repeated, but interpolated using a Mitsubishi-developed algorithm.

The set will also accept and display a 1080p/24 source, such ad Blu-ray or HD DVD. However, rather than the optimum technique of upconverting 1080p/24 to 1080p/120 directly, to match the native 120Hz frame rate of the set, 1080p/24 inputs are first converted to 1080p/60 by adding 3/2 pulldown. The set then handles the signal as it would any 1080p/60 input by frame-doubling it to1080p/120.”
http://ultimateavmag.com/flatpaneldi...1107mits46144/
Of course your main question was about the new WD-7833 Mitsubishi displays. To my knowledge the WD-7833 DLP’s use the exact same technique as the new 144 and 244 series LCD when it comes to 1080P/24 (As long as my sources are correct). The professional reviews on the 7833 models do not mention how they process 1080P/24. I hope to see some more reviews in regards to the 7833 series to verify that they do handle 1080P/24 just like the 144 and 244 series.

#82 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P24 /forum/post/13197576

5 Sony LCD screens added to the list

It appears that Sony is just like Pioneer and all of their displays every made that have a 1080P/24 input will refresh the image on the screen at multiplies of the original frame. Hopefully my sources are correct. According to one of my sources and a review link from PC magazine there are 5 Sony 1080P 60HZ LCD's that will refresh 1080P/24 material at 48HZ on the screen. Watching 48HZ on a LCD will reduce or eliminate 3:2 pulldown judder but it also will produce some smearing and flickering. It would be better to purchase a 120HZ LCD from Sony since the picture quality is much better compared to the normal Sony LCD screens. Higher refresh rates in general have a better picture quality especially for a LCD screen. 48HZ looks good on a Front projector but not recommended for LCD refresh rates since LCD main weakness is motion blur especially at lower refresh rates. The elements in a LCD screen are slower to respond on the screen compared to other technologies like CRT, Plasma, and SXRD (LCOS) displays.

Sony LCD screens that have been added to the list

Sony KDL-52W3000 (48HZ)
Sony KDL-46W3000 (48HZ)
Sony KDL-40W3000 (48HZ)
Sony KDL-46V3000 (48HZ)
Sony KDL-40V3000 (48HZ)

The KDL-46V3000's HDMI port also accepted 1080p input at 24 Hz (1080p24), and Sony claimed the TV automatically displays this video format using a 48 Hz refresh rate (24 Hz x 2 - an even multiple) that eliminates the shaking/wobbling effect known as judder that is caused when 24p material is converted for display on a typical (60 Hz refresh rate) HDTVthe telecine process. Viewing examinations using 24p video material confirmed the KDL-46V3000 did reduce judder producing admirably smooth panning shots, however, the reduced refresh rate (48 Hz) did introduce additional flicker into some vertically orientated details as the camera panned.

Negatives
Sadly, despite an otherwise strong showing, when displaying scenes depicting lots of motion, the KDL-46V3000 was among the most smear-prone sets I've seen. Viewing angles, however, did affect the perception of color quality. Loss of saturation was obvious in skin tones starting at 20 degrees off-axis from the center of the screen.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2210884,00.asp

I'm the guy who identified the pcmag article on engadgetHD, and I'd like to add the same thing I did on engadget's thread:

I'm wondering where pcmag got the "flicker" from... LCD, being a "sample-and-hold" technology, has no refresh-dependant flicker. Some lcd motion blur is actually attributed to this, since the eye tracks movement smoothly and is expecting an object to be in a certain position, the motion blur (not signal/source based) is a trick of the eye. If you flicker the backlight at 60hz, you can actually eliminate the appearence of motion blur.

But lcds backlights dont flicker. So I wonder where they're getting that from. The only "flickering" with an LCD display is with an interlaced source thats being incorrectly deinterlaced.

With this in mind, it wouldn't matter whether the refresh rate is 48, 72, or 120 flicker-wise, they'd all appear the same. Where 120-hz benefits an LCD seems to be in its response-time blur, and MOTION RESOLUTION (as discussed in hdguru's article http://hdguru.com/?p=187 )

48hz should be perfectly fine for movies.

#83 ·
Important updates have been made to the main list (reference links)

In order to make the list more useful I have made some changes. While reading the list one can now click on the link for a particular display. When the link is clicked on one will be able to view most of the time the documented evidence on why the display is located on the list. Clicking on a link will most of the time take one to the manufactories official spec sheet or directly to the page where the professional review is located that mentions the true 1080P/24 native refresh rate feature. Some of the links to read the professional review you need a paid subscription to read the full review. When there is two different reviews that are from two different publications I have placed the link to the free online review if it mentions the 1080P/24 feature. Most of the time each link will be different for each model number. Currently clicking on any Sony 120HZ refresh rate LCD model will bring up the review for the XBR4. The reason for this is this review is currently the only one that mentions in details how the Sony XBR4 and other 120HZ LCD's work with 1080P/24. According to Sony's website and other sources it's been verified that all the 120HZ LCD Sony's use the exact same method as the XBR4 models when it comes to displaying 1080P/24. When and if more models of 120HZ Sony's are reviewed I will update the link with the exact model numbers as long as the reviews mentions the 1080P/24 feature.

#85 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by locke6854 /forum/post/13201931

I'm the guy who identified the pcmag article on engadgetHD, and I'd like to add the same thing I did on engadget's thread:

I'm wondering where pcmag got the "flicker" from... LCD, being a "sample-and-hold" technology, has no refresh-dependant flicker. Some lcd motion blur is actually attributed to this, since the eye tracks movement smoothly and is expecting an object to be in a certain position, the motion blur (not signal/source based) is a trick of the eye. If you flicker the backlight at 60hz, you can actually eliminate the appearence of motion blur.

But lcds backlights dont flicker. So I wonder where they're getting that from. The only "flickering" with an LCD display is with an interlaced source thats being incorrectly deinterlaced.

With this in mind, it wouldn't matter whether the refresh rate is 48, 72, or 120 flicker-wise, they'd all appear the same. Where 120-hz benefits an LCD seems to be in its response-time blur, and MOTION RESOLUTION (as discussed in hdguru's article http://hdguru.com/?p=187 )

48hz should be perfectly fine for movies.

Thanks for the information on the Sony review. I would need to see this display connected to a BLU-RAY player running 1080P/24 to see if I see any flicker. There have sometimes been slight incompatibilities between the BLU-RAY players 1080P/24 output and a display detecting 1080P/24. Once and a while I have heard of people that they need to place their BLU-RAY player at 1080P/60 since they see a flicker once and a while watching the movie. Perhaps the BLU-RAY player connected to the Sony that was being reviewed needed a software update. If some of the frames were missing or delayed perhaps this might cause a flicker.

Your right about 48HZ being fine for movies. Many film projectors use 48HZ and 72HZ refresh to get rid of the flicker that native 24fps has. There is no film projector or display that shows 24fps at 24HZ since there would be a terrible flicker on the screen. That is why at least 48fps needs to be used in order to eliminate the flicker. Some times people that review equipment have there own glossary terms and maybe flicker to them may mean something different. I know I catch myself using technical terms in different and unique ways sometimes.

#86 ·
I am very interested in the new Toshiba 46XV540 and I have noticed that they claim a "ColorBurst wide color gamut CCFL at 108% of the NTSC color gamut." I consider myself to be a pretty informed home theater guy, but what does this mean? What do current HDTV's have like the XBR4? 71 Series? Is this an improvement over what HDTV's have or is it like the contrast ratio where it's more of a "marketing spec"? I can see how having accurate color reproduction is beneficial but how do you have 108% color?? A little insight in this department would be appreciated thanks!

#87 ·
The Sharp XV-Z2000U Front Projector will not be added to the list

Although not mentioned in the specifications, the projector also
accepted 1080p24, 1080p24sf, and 1080p48 signals over HDMI. But
none of those signals were displayed at the input frame rate, or an
exact multiple of the frame rate, and consequently they produced
significant judder and periodic dark flashes. This is a serious limitation
that prevents the projector from displaying judder-free movies
from upconverters and future Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD players that
provide 1080p24 signals.”

http://www.widescreenreview.com/eq_detail.php?id=449

Even though this projector does not handle 1080P/24 material at multiplies of the original frame it does have a 1080P/48 input so if one purchases a expensive external video processor one can watch BLU-RAY and other film based material at 48HZ.

#88 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by brand450 /forum/post/13205192

I am very interested in the new Toshiba 46XV540 and I have noticed that they claim a "ColorBurst wide color gamut CCFL at 108% of the NTSC color gamut." I consider myself to be a pretty informed home theater guy, but what does this mean? What do current HDTV's have like the XBR4? 71 Series? Is this an improvement over what HDTV's have or is it like the contrast ratio where it's more of a "marketing spec"? I can see how having accurate color reproduction is beneficial but how do you have 108% color?? A little insight in this department would be appreciated thanks!
The short answer is this TV has both deep color and XVYCC. Deep color increases the number of bits that can be received from a deep color compatible device. XVYCC increases the color gamut and offers more colors compared to the existing standard. The main thing here is deep color and xvYCC is useless until source material is made available in that format from broadcasts or optical disc. Perhaps Toshiba had plans to maybe release a 51GB 3 layer disc that had movies encoded with the expanded colors. Now that the format war is done maybe 100GB or 200GB BLU-RAY discs one day will be made that offers high bit rate movies encoded with deep color and xvYCC.
Right now there is no use for these technologies until someone records source material that takes advantage of this awesome technology. One day deep color and xvYCC might be popular features to have on a display and BLU-RAY player once the special encoded movies are released.

Here is a detailed link about the technology

http://www.hometheatermag.com/gearworks/207gear/

#89 ·
Thanks for the information!! I was aware of the deep color/ xvycc but didn't know there was a connection to the color gamut (108% color gamut). I do like the "future proofing" technologies on this tv a lot, I think I'm going to go with it.

Another question for ya.. What would you get?? Would you look at sets that are on the market now or coming in the next couple months? Or wait until the fall release of '08 or possibly later? And if later what specs would you be looking for?

#91 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by brand450 /forum/post/13205318

Would you look at sets that are on the market now or coming in the next couple months? Or wait until the fall release of '08 or possibly later? And if later what specs would you be looking for?

If you wait, you'll always be waiting. I'd wait until a new model was out, and as soon as I did, new models would be released that made me want to wait longer.

I didn't get an LCD until the 8th generation panels came out. I went without HD for years. All that time I could have been enjoying some great content.

So I suggest going for it. In the CE world, it seems like we're always going to be obsolete.

#92 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by brand450 /forum/post/13205335

I read the link ( http://www.hometheatermag.com/gearworks/207gear/ ) after the fact and that is one of the most informing articles I have read I thank you again for that info. Whoever wrote that knows what he is talking about.

Sorry for the off topic post. Geoffrey Morrison is one of the most authoritative sources I've learn a lot from. Be sure to check out his other Gearworks articles:
http://www.hometheatermag.com/gearworks/

Besides the article already posted, I found the articles on 1080p/24, 1080i vs 1080p, and Viewing Distance vs Resolution especially helpful.

Be sure to also check out the Hook Me Up articles, particularly the five articles written by Gary Merson (aka the HDTV Guru ):
http://www.hometheatermag.com/hookmeup/

Also, Geoffrey's blog seems to no longer be linked to on the main site as it appears to no longer be actively updated, but the archives are still there for now:
http://blog.hometheatermag.com/geoffreymorrison/

Geoffrey has reviewed the Kuros very positively and is one of the reasons I settled on a Pioneer Kuro plasma this past new year. It's a beautiful tv.

#93 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by brand450 /forum/post/13205318

Thanks for the information!! I was aware of the deep color/ xvycc but didn't know there was a connection to the color gamut (108% color gamut). I do like the "future proofing" technologies on this tv a lot, I think I'm going to go with it.

Another question for ya.. What would you get?? Would you look at sets that are on the market now or coming in the next couple months? Or wait until the fall release of '08 or possibly later? And if later what specs would you be looking for?
As technology improves most of the time there is always going to be new and better models to choose from as long as manufactories are concentrating on quality instead of how cheap they can make something. I like cheap products as long as quality level is maintained.
I personally like high-end Front Projectors which offer the best home theater experience. Of course if one does not have a dedicated dark home theater room that is not a reality for most. My second choice would be a Pioneer PRO-150FD. Read this review it mentions how the Pioneer which costs $7,500 list price has a better picture quality compared to an $18,000 list priced Plasma.
“Here, the Fujitsu displays a very good, but not the greatest, deep black and dark gray performance. Both Geoffrey and I agree that, unfortunately for the Fujitsu, the latest Pioneer Elite KURO plasmas have raised the bar significantly in that important department.”
http://hometheatermag.com/plasmadisplays/208fuj65ft/
Now for best value a discontinued Sony KDS-60A3000 SXRD rear projector might still be able to be found for under $2,000 in some retail stores. That would be my third choice and my second choice if I did not want to spend several thousand dollars more for a Pioneer Elite.
http://ultimateavmag.com/rearprojectiontvs/1207sony3000/index.html

#94 ·
Panasonic seems to have conflicting information on 24p playback on their websites.

According to the Viera website (internationsl) the New line supports 1080p at 48 (Cinematic Playback). You have to skip a few pages to get there.

http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/v...res/index.html

However, when comparing the new models (80 and 85), this is not one of te features listed Cinematic Playback= No)

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...00000000005702

S~

It looks like this feature might be limited to the PZ800 series and not available on the 80 and 85 series.

#95 ·
well said locke6854, that is a very true statement. I am looking for a LCD 120hz with 5:5 pulldown. I would prefer the Toshiba xv540 over the XBR4 but I want to see the Toshiba before I pull the trigger. I am also looking at the new 1018 Pioneer receiver coming out in June along with Klipsch RF-82 speakers with the center (RC-52) and surrounds (RS-42) w/ 10" sub (RW-10) (still debating between 5.1 and 7.1)

P.S. I'm college kid so everything is probably going to be purchased with my BBY employee discount, not an unlimited disposable income...yet

thanks for the extra links PontifexMaximus and HDTV1080P24!!

#96 ·
The Samsung LN-T4071F, LN-T4671F, and LN-T5271F have been added to the list.

Sony now has some competition for those looking for the true 1080P/24 5:5 pulldown feature (multiplies of the original frame). It has now officially been confirmed by a professional review published by Scott Wilkinson at UltimateAVmag.com that the Samsung LN-T4671F offers true 5:5 pulldown.
All 3 Samsung displays use the exact same instruction manual and the specs are exactly the same on each model accept the physical weight and size. The instruction manual has an error in it on page 29 it mentions that if you turn off Auto Motion Plus it also turns off 120HZ. If one reads the instruction manual one would think their display becomes a 60HZ display just like all the other 60HZ Samsung displays. According to the professional review the 120HZ Samsung is always native 120HZ even when Auto Motion is turned off. When auto motion is turned on it may once and a while improve 60HZ video by interpolating each frame but it also causes major artifacts in the picture once and a while. When auto motion is turned off 60HZ is frame doubled to 120HZ without the problem of artifacts at the cost of having a less smooth picture. When Auto Motion is turned off and one is watching a BLU-RAY the set will repeat each 24fps frame until it reaches 120HZ. This Samsung offers true 5:5 pulldown and the image from BLU-RAY will look like 35MM or 70MM film instead a artificial smooth 60HZ video look.

Added to the list
Samsung LN-T4071F
Samsung LN-T4671F
Samsung LN-T5271F

The LN-T4671F includes a feature called Auto Motion Plus (AMP), which can be set to Low, Medium, or High, or it can be turned off. If it's off, each frame in a 60Hz signal is simply doubled, and each frame in a 24Hz signal is repeated five times. In any event, the set's refresh rate is always 120Hz whether or not AMP is enabled.

Some Positive items from the review

The Samsung 120HZ models will decode 3:2 pulldown from 60HZ material.
In any case, with a 60Hz signal, the processor is said to determine the original frame rateconverting it back to 24fps using inverse telecine if it encounters 3:2 pulldown..

I really like the menu system, which is much better than the one in Samsung's earlier TVs. The picture controls are now the first things to appear when you press the Menu button, rather than being several layers deep.

All in all, the LN-T4671F is a fine LCD TV. It exhibits exceptional color and detail, the blacks are nice and deep, and the shadow detail is better than most LCDs I've seen

Real-World Performance
Pioneer created a Blu-ray demo disc to show off its Kuro line of plasmas, but that material is great for evaluating all types of displays, especially in terms of black level and shadow detail. The Samsung's blacks were certainly not on par with the Kuros', but no one should expect them to be, especially an LCD with conventional backlighting. Still, they weren't bad by any means, and shadow detail was surprisingly goodthat is, once I had set the TV's brightness and backlight controls correctly. Colors were beautiful, and detail was razor-sharp.

Turning to Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl on Blu-ray, the Samsung produced a smooth, natural image with exceptional color and detail. Shadow detail in night scenes was similarly excellent.

Negatives

The FPD For Professionals Blu-ray test disc provides some excellent clips to evaluate a flat-panel display's motion rendering and other characteristics. Auto Motion Plus did clean up moving objects quite a bit, but it also introduced some serious artifacts in certain types of images.
For example, it sharpened the horizontally scrolling monoscope pattern, but the horizontal and diagonal bursts were full of distortion artifacts. Turning AMP off removed the artifacts, but the motion was a lot blurrier. AMP did improve the horizontally scrolling characters and map as well as the swinging hammock and metronome without problems, but the artifacts are so obvious when they appear that I tended to leave AMP off.
http://ultimateavmag.com/flatpaneldisplays/208sam4671/

#97 ·
Here are a list of some of the Samsungs that use a 3:2 pulldown process and will not be added to the list

1. Samsung FP-T5884 Plasma

The FP-T5884 will accept signals up to 1080p at 60 or 24Hz via HDMI; the component input can accept 1080p/60. Unfortunately, the set converts 1080p/24 to 60Hz for display by applying 3:2 pulldown, eliminating the benefit of having a 1080p/24 source. There aren't many plasmas (or other displays) that show 1080p/24 correctlythat is, at a multiple of 24Hz, which results in smoother motion from film-based content.
http://ultimateavmag.com/flatpaneldisplays/208sam884/

2. Samsung LN-T5281F LCD

The Samsung will accept a 1080p/24 input, but it converts it internally to 1080p/60 prior to display. Whether you will be better off simply changing the output resolution on your high-definition player to 1080p/60 to begin with will depend on which devicethe player or the setdoes a better job in converting 1080p/24 to 1080p/60. It's likely you won't see any difference.

http://ultimateavmag.com/flatpaneldisplays/1207sam5281/index2.html

3. Samsung LN-T5265F LCD

The Samsung will accept a 1080p/24fps input, but it converts it internally to 1080p/60fps prior to display. Whether you will be better off simply changing the output resolution on your high-definition player to 1080p/60 to begin with will depend on which devicethe player or the setdoes a better job in converting 1080p/24 to 1080p/60. It's likely you won't see any difference, but do experiment.

http://ultimateavmag.com/flatpaneldisplays/807sam52/index2.html

#98 ·
What about CRT front projectors? Would be cool if someone could post his own experience or maybe a bandwidth/resolution/Hz chart.

BTW: What's the real point in moving this thread to the Blu-Ray location? Did I miss something. The CIA still wasn't at my place to collect all my HD-DVDs and there are certain other formats you can play 1080p/24Hz movies from (Such as: custom made DVDs played in Zoomplayer using FFDSHOW, internet services such as AppleTV,HD-VMD).

#99 ·
The Samsung series 6 and 7 LCD flat panels have been added to the list

According to Samsungs product news the new Series 6 and 7 LCD screens use the same Auto Motion Plus 120HZ technology as the 71F series. When Auto motion Plus is turned off the display will no longer use interpolation of new frames and it will repeat each 24fps signal 5 times for true 5:5 pulldown (120HZ refresh).
The LN-T4671F includes a feature called Auto Motion Plus (AMP), which can be set to Low, Medium, or High, or it can be turned off. If it's off, each frame in a 60Hz signal is simply doubled, and each frame in a 24Hz signal is repeated five times. In any event, the set's refresh rate is always 120Hz whether or not AMP is enabled.

http://ultimateavmag.com/flatpaneldisplays/208sam4671/

Quote from Samsung Series 6 and 7 product news.
The fast response time, coupled with Samsung's Auto Motion Plus 120Hz motion blur reduction technology dramatically reduces motion blur and juddermaking the set ideal for playing video games and watching action sports.

http://www.samsung.com/us/news/newsRead.do?news_group=productnews&news_type=consumerproduct&news_ctgry=tv&news_seq=6445

LCD flat panels added to the list

Samsung LN-40A650T (Scheduled for a March release)
Samsung LN-46A650T (Scheduled for a March release)
Samsung LN-52A650T (Scheduled for a March release)
Samsung LN-40A750T (scheduled for a May release)
Samsung LN-46A750T (scheduled for a May release)
Samsung LN-52A750T (scheduled for a May release)

#100 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx123 /forum/post/13214047

What about CRT front projectors? Would be cool if someone could post his own experience or maybe a bandwidth/resolution/Hz chart.

BTW: What's the real point in moving this thread to the Blu-Ray location? Did I miss something. The CIA still wasn't at my place to collect all my HD-DVDs and there are certain other formats you can play 1080p/24Hz movies from (Such as: custom made DVDs played in Zoomplayer using FFDSHOW, internet services such as AppleTV,HD-VMD).
CRT’s have the best ANSI contrast ratio compared to any display and 9 inch CRT front projectors can produce full interlace 1920 X 1080 I resolution. No one makes a CRT front projector anymore to my knowledge. I do not think any of them have 1080P/24 inputs and if they did the signal most likely would be converted to 1080I. It may be a year or two until a Front projector is made that beats a 9 inch CRT in the area of ANSI contrast ratio and deep blacks.
This thread was originally created at BLU-RAY.COM in a home theater section of the forum and has been posted in the home theater area at High-Def Digest also. When I came to the AV Science forum I wanted to also post this thread in a home theater section but then since that forum is made up of different sections like Plasma, CRT, rear projectors, front projectors, etc. I could not find a location that just listed one area that included all displays. So I made the decision to originally post the thread in the dual format area since the 1080P/24 feature would benefit BLU-RAY, HD-DVD, and dual format owners. When BLU-RAY won the format war I decided to move the thread to the BLU-RAY players section. If I plan on updating this thread long term which I might there is a possibility that many months or years in the future the HD-DVD and dual format areas might disappear since those players are going out of production. The 1080P/24 input at multiplies of the original frame feature is very useful for the several millions of BLU-RAY devices that have been sold. HD-DVD and dual format player owners are still welcome to use this list when they are researching displays that will take advantage of their 1080P/24 players and movie collection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.