post #271 of 607 Old 05-15-2008, 06:33 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by jntaylor63 View Post

late to the thread, but I really hope they bulid this by Xmas.

I have no inside info, but I think that's really unlikely. We'd be hearing more about it by now.

On the other hand: the 980 went through extensive beta testing and there was not a single rumor about it here until the day it was announced for sale. So anything is possible.

-Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 607 Old 05-15-2008, 11:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If we don't hear about it by CEDIA (in mid Sep) its not going to happen.

Oppo IIRC has launched product with only a few months warning so even a July or August announcement gives retailers a chance to stock it before the holiday season, especially if they already stock it.

Internet retailers especially can sell an item very quickly after an announcement with not a lot of lead time, so there still is some hope.

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
post #273 of 607 Old 05-15-2008, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post

so there still is some hope.

Although officially, the party line is still (as of today):

Quote:

We have not yet aligned ourselves to the Blu-Ray high definition video format. The primary reason for this is that we feel that the current hardware solutions are not mature enough to be implemented and released by OPPO Digital. Our operational motto is to "make a mature product better". The Blu-Ray specifications are continually in flux, and we can't afford to create a solution which will become obsolete within a year.

We are vigorously investigating all current and future hardware solutions, however we do not know when we will commit to them.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

Quote:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thu 5/15/2008 7:52 AM
To: OPPO Service
Subject: Oppo Blu-ray player

Hi,

Just wondering if there is any kind of update on your plans for a Blu-ray
player.

I for one am anxious for a player with the upscaling, SACD/DVD-A
capabilities of the new 983 coupled with Blu-ray; and I know there are many
out there like me waiting fro this player from you guys.

But at some point later this year we may have to bite the bullet and buy
something else; that would be a tragedy if your player is soon to come.

Thanks,

Rick

This is the stock reply they've been sending out for months.

post #274 of 607 Old 05-15-2008, 12:13 PM
DAB
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I just purchased the 983(3/10/08) and the PQ is oustanding on my 50" plasma. If OPPO came out with a BR player in late 08. i might have been a little upset. However, everything i have read-so far is current Blu-ray profile is still having some growing isssues. So would still wait a year or so before moving to BR player (granted this new player would have to do everything the 983 can do now)
db
post #275 of 607 Old 05-15-2008, 01:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2331 Post(s)
Liked: 2161
Quote:
Originally Posted by facesnorth View Post

I hope Oppo releases their player in Australia and NZ. However, importing from there and currency conversion would make it quite expensive.

Will players be able to be released that can do both PAL/NTSC?

AFAIK it isn't *illegal* to make region-locked players and sell them in Oz. It's just that it isn't illegal to hack them into region-free. If you check on the Oz forums, they want region-free hacks as much as the rest of us.

My two cents worth.
post #276 of 607 Old 05-16-2008, 12:01 PM

Well, I just e-mailed Oppo about a potential BD player, and here's the response...

We have not yet aligned ourselves to the Blu-Ray high definition video format. The primary reason for this is that we feel that the current hardware solutions are not mature enough to be implemented and released by OPPO Digital. Our operational motto is to "make a mature product better". The Blu-Ray specifications are continually in flux, and we can't afford to create a solution which will become obsolete within a year.

We are vigorously investigating all current and future hardware solutions, however we do not know when we will commit to them.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
post #277 of 607 Old 05-16-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim FB View Post

Well, I just e-mailed Oppo about a potential BD player, and here's the response...

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com

This response has been posted numerous times. The most recent is about 4 posts above yours:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post13874614
post #278 of 607 Old 05-16-2008, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, but what does Oppo say about it? I think I'll email them and report back.

But seriously, that response is closing in on its sell-by date. What's still in flux about the Blu-Ray specs, other than nobody but PlayStation has a player that conforms to them yet?
post #279 of 607 Old 05-16-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post

So would still wait a year or so before moving to BR player (granted this new player would have to do everything the 983 can do now)

Actually I hope they build a stripped-down one as well as a 98x+BR model so that those of us who have already paid for Oppo's high-quality DVD technology don't have to pay for it twice.
post #280 of 607 Old 05-16-2008, 03:14 PM

Holy crap! I looked right over that...sorry.
post #281 of 607 Old 05-16-2008, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim FB View Post

Holy crap! I looked right over that...sorry.

Obviously, you subscribe to Frank Barone's dictionary!
post #282 of 607 Old 05-16-2008, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dwarf View Post

Actually I hope they build a stripped-down one as well as a 98x+BR model so that those of us who have already paid for Oppo's high-quality DVD technology don't have to pay for it twice.

I think it is likely that OPPO will build a Blu-ray only player. The early gen Blu-ray players offered quality upconversion of SD DVDs because Sony and other major consumer electronics manufacturers wanted to reassure new owners of HD displays that their library of SD DVDs wouldn't lose value and could actually be enhanced by buying a big bucks player that handled both Blu-ray discs and DVDs. In a word, they are transition products not unlike the DVD/VCR decks we saw during that transition some years ago.

Reviews of more recent Blu-ray players indicate to me that quality upconversion of SD DVDs has been sacrificed in part to meet competitive pressure to get prices down. Sony and the other major mfgrs are pushing Blu-ray. They'd like to see DVDs go away. Margins on DVD products and players are thin as compared with Blu-ray.

Producing an excellent Blu-ray only player would set OPPO apart from others, appeal to videophiles and keep prices down. It would also not cannibalize its other products.

Time will tell.

Dana

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right." Mark Twain
post #283 of 607 Old 05-16-2008, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The Funai built Blu-ray players are just now showing up in stores, Wal-Mart, Best Buy and maybe a couple of others are selling these players. It will be interesting to see how well these players perform and how well they sell. My Funai made DVD players have been fine, although I know that company makes a lot of store brand throw away products. In my opinion, Oppo needs to get involved soon, the mature product comments are months old now and not as relevant. I really expect the Panasonic DMP-BD50 and soon to be released Sony BDP-S550 to be outstanding and do all things required. As far as a universal player, I think that is fine, but I sure wouldn't expect it to sell well at any price that would be profitable. The best chance at a big seller is to focus on Blu-ray and value in my opinion. Most people interested in SACD/DVD-A already have players, I have a fleet of them and already own three Blu-ray players with only the PS3 handling SACD but the other two handle neither, a Samsung BD-P1200 and Sony BDP-S1. I have about 350 SACD/DVD-A and I don't really care much about an all-in-one player. Those two formats aren't going to be adding many new users in the coming years and Oppo sure needs to look hard at whether or not the existing users will be willing to buy a premium universal player that includes Blu-ray/SACD/DVD-A.

Chris
post #284 of 607 Old 05-16-2008, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Dana- I 100% agree with your post. You put into words better than I could exactly what I think and hope! An excellent BD-only machine.

If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ... Something old and something new :-)

post #285 of 607 Old 05-16-2008, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just bought my first Oppo produt 980H for DVD A and SACD playback only.

IMO this player offers some of the best value i have ever seen in HT. Everything from th packagin, to performance to manual makes you feel good about your purchase. I would gladly support Oppo should they release a BD player.
post #286 of 607 Old 05-16-2008, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
It sounds to me that Oppo's not thrilled with the chip solutions that are out right now. Although they're getting better, the functionality (load speed, operational contols) are way behind even cheap SD DVD players. Oppo's are known for building top performing players at a reasonable price. I don't think they believe that is possible at this time. One never knows what's in development, lets hope they can build one soon. I know I would buy one.
post #287 of 607 Old 05-17-2008, 05:33 AM
m.m

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbonbi View Post

Producing an excellent Blu-ray only player would set OPPO apart from others, appeal to videophiles and keep prices down. It would also not cannibalize its other products.

I agree with you. As 983 owner I'd not be pleased to see an Oppo BR with the same 983 SD capabilities and price.
post #288 of 607 Old 05-17-2008, 06:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Licensing agreements alone would make the price higher.
Why that would or should bother anyone with a prior Oppo product is beyond me.
In Italy you pay $8.00 a gallon for fuel. Now that would piss me off, but may be coming here soon!

Oppo waits until they feel they can put out a competent product, I do not believe they are trying to time anything for marketing purposes.

Mark Conner
post #289 of 607 Old 05-17-2008, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post

In my opinion, Oppo needs to get involved soon, the mature product comments are months old now and not as relevant. I really expect the Panasonic DMP-BD50 and soon to be released Sony BDP-S550 to be outstanding and do all things required.

I'm not sure that Oppo's the maturity comments are not as relevant just yet. Even the player examples you give in this post are not yet released and have not been real-world reviewed.

I expect the Oppo to decode all advanced audio properly to 7.1 analog outs. Isn't the high-end Denon the only one that currently does this? Also, most players have struggled with certain discs, and load times for some BD-J discs are still long (but improving) on standalones. Blu-ray is not mature yet, although it seems to be getting closer. Maybe by the end of the year there will be improvement in the deficit areas and players will be solid.

I do think it's relevant to ask what value Oppo will bring to Blu-ray players. Since the format itself is HD and discs are mostly 1080p, what will Oppo players be able to give us that other players can't? All players released in the past year or so have been reported to have excellent picture quality, and correctly working, PCM and bitstreamed advanced audio codecs should be the same from player to player. Since Oppo has made it's name with universal players with great deinterlacing and upscaling, it's hard to see how they will differentiate themselves with an attractive product with a price that will be profitable for such a small outfit.

It'll be interesting to hear their plans in going forward with Blu-ray. As for now, I excitedly await Tuesday's delivery of my 983H so that I can enjoy the best of Oppo quality right now with the wide catalog of inexpensive discs. It should make the wait for Blu-ray maturity a bit easier to bear.
post #290 of 607 Old 05-17-2008, 07:46 AM

Hi Guys,

Their standard line is not altogether true. I received this on the 15th march from oppo:

We have no release schedule at this time. We have only begun the initial investigations into Blu-Ray technology, so we do not know how long it will take to develop a production product.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com

This basically says they are working on one it just comes down to when they can produce one. I would also be disappointed if it did not do upscaling of DVD and SACD audio. people would much rather buy an all in one player than have to have ultiple decks in their racks.

Broke

Truth
Malice may attack it
Ignorance may deride it
But at the end of the day there it is
post #291 of 607 Old 05-17-2008, 02:59 PM

sorry wrong forum
post #292 of 607 Old 05-17-2008, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.m View Post

I agree with you. As 983 owner I'd not be pleased to see an Oppo BR with the same 983 SD capabilities and price.

I think it's safe to say that we won't see a 983H with Blu-ray added to it for $400. If we see Blu-ray at $400, the scaling and deinterlacing is more likely to be on par with the 980H - not the 983H's ABT chips.

gonk
Beta tester: BDP-83 / BDP-80
post #293 of 607 Old 05-18-2008, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonk View Post

Pioneer started out using Sony hardware as a foundation

I think you'll find that it was the other way around. The first Sony BD players were built by Pioneer.
post #294 of 607 Old 05-18-2008, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay View Post

I think you'll find that it was the other way around. The first Sony BD players were built by Pioneer.

Ah - knew they were the same platform. Thanks...

gonk
post #295 of 607 Old 05-19-2008, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

While congratulating Oppo for their initiative to develop a BD player with anamorphic stretching as well as subtitle repositioning functions, I wish to find out whether PS3 would be upgraded with these functions in the near future.

We are desperately in need of subtitle repositioning in our CIH setup (so as many other people). As given in a previous post, it is nearly impossible to watch a subtitled movie in CIH without moving the titles on to the picture.

I have posted in the paidgeek thread in blu-ray forum requesting this functionality. paidgeek replied indicating the Sony is working on a solution but did not explain how they would do it.

Since PS3 is an outstanding blu-ray player it will be beneficial for many people if subtitle reposition (as well as stretching) is implemented through a firmware upgrade. It should be relatively trivial to implement subtitle repositioning since it is a matter of placing the subtitle raster image in a different position based on a user input (e.g. nudge up/down). Software DVD players like TheaterTek and Samsung ezysoom players already have this function.

Blu-ray boasted about subtitle repositioning and added an optional functionality to the specs to achieve this through BD software. But it happened to be a total stuff-up since disk authors/studios do not use this functionality as it is optional. Therefore, it appears that the feasible solution is to implement subtitle repositioning via player firmware. Sony could have taken the leadership on this so that other manufactures could follow. I cannot fully understand the reasons for Sony not implementing this in PS3.
post #296 of 607 Old 05-19-2008, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpco View Post

I do think it's relevant to ask what value Oppo will bring to Blu-ray players. Since the format itself is HD and discs are mostly 1080p, what will Oppo players be able to give us that other players can't? All players released in the past year or so have been reported to have excellent picture quality, and correctly working, PCM and bitstreamed advanced audio codecs should be the same from player to player. Since Oppo has made it's name with universal players with great deinterlacing and upscaling, it's hard to see how they will differentiate themselves with an attractive product with a price that will be profitable for such a small outfit.

Eggsactly. The AVR manufacturers are putting all the goodies in their new products, so the optimal player for those owners only needs to put out flawless 480 SD and bitstreamed audio for BD.
post #297 of 607 Old 05-19-2008, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

When the Sony PS 3 handily beats five dedicated Blu-ray players in a May 2007 CNET comparo shootout of Blu-ray players http://reviews.cnet.com/4321-6463_7-...-1.html?tag=pm I think there's plenty of room for Blu-ray player improvement that OPPO can deliver.

Dana

post #298 of 607 Old 05-19-2008, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Uh, May 2007 is not recent. None of those are current players, other than the PS3, of course.
post #299 of 607 Old 05-19-2008, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay View Post

Uh, May 2007 is not recent. None of those are current players, other than the PS3, of course.

Point well taken. But, I think the conclusion remains the same.

As Kris Deering noted in his review of February 29, 2008 http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/dvd-p...s3-fw-2.1.html

Quote:

The PS3 still remains one of the best Blu-ray players on the market today, mainly because of its reliability, future proof design, and ease of use.

My point is that the manufacturers of standalone Blu-ray players have a ways to go. Hopefully, OPPO will push the state of the art higher if/when they offer such a player.

Dana

post #300 of 607 Old 05-19-2008, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

The players that the PS3 was competing with in that shootout are the main reason that the PS3 was widely regarded as the best Blu-ray player available in 2007, and there were even two in that list with higher user ratings than the PS3. There are also newer players that make substantial improvements on the state of standalone Blu-ray hardware over the players in that list.

Having said that, I would agree that there is certainly room for improvement in the Blu-ray player market.

gonk
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page