post #91 of 607 Old 02-22-2008, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post

Exactly,I like how all these guys are getting pumped up over a company that takes no chances..Waits for everyone else to do the work and then builds it a year later..I'll guarantee you by May,most companies building Blu players with be 2.0 profile with everything on them..Then around Jan of 09 Oppo will ship one any the tools on this site will sing its praises..Where's the innovation on that one?

I have my doubts that we'll see "most companies" shipping profile 2.0 players in just two or three more months, especially considering how slow they've been at getting profile 1.1 players to market. The companies that created the format (Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, ...) have been building players for over a year and a half now and aren't making standalone profile 2.0 players yet (although Panny looks to be the first one to reach that milestone with the BD50, much like they did with profile 1.1 and the BD30), largely because the spec for profile 2.0 was slow to emerge. How could a small company like OPPO get ahead of those companies? It's not a matter of OPPO "taking no changes" - it's a matter of the resources available. I don't see any way (from the admittedly remote perspective of a mere consumer) for a small company like OPPO to be able to be at the cutting edge of Blu-ray hardware features. And as a small company with limited resources, they can't afford to invest those resources in developing hardware that is guaranteed to experience "planned obsolescence" in its first months (or even weeks) of production, as would have been the case for a profile 1.0 player.

These guys are excited mostly because of OPPO's past history of quality and customer support, not because of any history of innovation. There's also the potential for an OPPO Blu-ray player to include some less common features (PAL support, DVD-A/SACD support, and so forth) that appeals to some people but isn't common on players from major manufacturers. Is it a bit early to get overly excited about this news? Probably, as I see this news as being indicative of a lot of work left to be done before hardware is in boxes and ready to ship to consumers, but I understand and even share the sense of anticipation involved in seeing what OPPO might do with the Blu-ray format.

gonk
Beta tester: BDP-83 / BDP-80
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 607 Old 02-22-2008, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Region free - I'm there.
post #93 of 607 Old 02-22-2008, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post

Exactly,I like how all these guys are getting pumped up over a company that takes no chances..Waits for everyone else to do the work and then builds it a year later..I'll guarantee you by May,most companies building Blu players with be 2.0 profile with everything on them..Then around Jan of 09 Oppo will ship one any the tools on this site will sing its praises..Where's the innovation on that one?

Wanna bet most BD players will NOT be 2.0 by May 2008?
Who cares if OPPO comes out with a player next year?If it's bugfree and plays a wide variety of formats I can wait.
post #94 of 607 Old 02-22-2008, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
When Oppo releases its interpretation of a Blu ray player, it will NOT have SD DVD playability - strictly Blu ray. In the spirit of HD and various other reasons, this is very, very smart.
post #95 of 607 Old 02-22-2008, 08:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab2ab View Post

When Oppo releases its interpretation of a Blu ray player, it will NOT have SD DVD playability - strictly Blu ray. In the spirit of HD and various other reasons, this is very, very smart.

What in the world are you talking about?
post #96 of 607 Old 02-22-2008, 08:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

+1. Who is this guy?
Spouting opinion as fact is frowned upon here at AVS .

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #97 of 607 Old 02-23-2008, 09:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

+1. Who is this guy?

I just don't understand why he would think Oppo would release a Blu-ray player that will NOT play SD DVD.
post #98 of 607 Old 02-23-2008, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spahn View Post

part of the reason that no Blu-Ray player even remotely interests me is the inability to play SACD/DVDA. i was hoping Oppo would release something like this because my current Oppo is the best player i've ever had. this would be very very good news indeed.

Same reason for me not to upgrade my current player...
Guess why? it's an Oppo too
post #99 of 607 Old 02-23-2008, 10:24 AM

Nice! I have been waiting for Oppo to join the Hi-def crowd. They must have been waiting for a for-sure winner before making a player.

But this is good news indeed. Cause Oppo will for sure have the best most fully featured BD player out there.
post #100 of 607 Old 02-23-2008, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: close to Milwaukee, WI but far enough from the hood!
Quote:

Yeah, they must want to be the first HDM player to ever NOT play SD DVD's.
+1 on your response.

Pat
post #101 of 607 Old 02-23-2008, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I'm actually hoping they will release a "transport" type of player with HDMI 1.3 much like the Denon 2500. I won't need SACD and DVD-A as I already own the 980 to do that, so a rock solid uppscaling DVD [Realta? ] and full 2.0 BD support of course would be just fine for me. If I get that for 1/3 of the price of the Denon, I'll be a happy camper.

The Hun
post #102 of 607 Old 02-23-2008, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

I'm actually hoping they will release a "transport" type of player with HDMI 1.3 much like the Denon 2500. I won't need SACD and DVD-A as I already own the 980 to do that, so a rock solid uppscaling DVD [Realta? ] and full 2.0 BD support of course would be just fine for me. If I get that for 1/3 of the price of the Denon, I'll be a happy camper.

Agreed I could easily keep the 980H and the Oppo BD player living together.

-
Rodrigues
post #103 of 607 Old 02-23-2008, 08:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigues_Brazil View Post

Agreed I could easily keep the 980H and the Oppo BD player living together.

You could, but why would you want to?

My rack is too full as it is.
post #104 of 607 Old 02-23-2008, 09:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Plenty of people have invested "good money" in the 980/981/(and soon)983.
A lot of those people would rather not see their previous player turn obsolete with the release of a UNIVERSAL BR player from Oppo.
I guess I am in the minority too as someone who would like to see a "plain jane" bitstreaming BR player from Oppo. Especially if it could be had on the "cheap".

Oppo BR-1080 (<-transport bitstream BR player only) $249
Oppo BR-1080HDU (<- BR, HD-DVD, SD-DVD, SACD, DVDA, USB, etc...) $549

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #105 of 607 Old 02-23-2008, 09:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

A lot of those people would rather not see their previous player turn obsolete with the release of a UNIVERSAL BR player from Oppo.
I guess I am in the minority too as someone who would like to see a "plain jane" bitstreaming BR player from Oppo. Especially if it could be had on the "cheap".

Oppo BR-1080 (<-transpost bitstream BR player only) $249

Understood, and I certainly am in support of companies giving us options!
post #106 of 607 Old 02-24-2008, 12:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSTNFAN View Post

The 60GB and 80GB PS3 (not sure about the 20GB) does SACD.

20GB, 60GB, and 80GB do SACD. 40GB and likely future hardware will not support SACD.
post #107 of 607 Old 02-24-2008, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:

Oppo BR-1080 (<-transport bitstream BR player only) $249

I would not like this at all. Finding a home for your 980H is not a good marketing strategy for Oppo.

Oppo BR-1080 BR, DVD, DVD-Audio, SACD... $349
Oppo BR-1083 BR, DVD, DVD-Audio, SACD... + Reon or Gennum $449

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #108 of 607 Old 02-24-2008, 06:50 PM

Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

My personal opinion is that any new Oppo should cover all the bases that the old ones have. That is why I bought Oppos before, I wanted a universal deck, and Oppo provided the best quality without having to have a huge jump in cost.

I would prefer to get basically a 983 with BR and associated other newness in one single box that integrates well into my current setup, and that includes the stand/cabinet. This is important to me personally as it helps guaranty that my wife and child can operate the system without drama, which is currently the case.
post #109 of 607 Old 02-24-2008, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

An interesting prediction....and I for one would favour such an approach. It would certainly get them to the market in the quickest possible time and keep them from having to compete with other major brands in the early stages of the game. By providing such a "bare bones transport" unit, they would learn a lot from all the feedback that the early adopters would give them and then incorporate this into an all-in-one unit further down the track.

It's a bit like what some Video Processor manufacturers do - supply the niche VP market with a stand-alone VP, let the users be the beta team and then when the dust has settled, roll out the heart of the system into a ASIC chip (instead of the original expensive FPGA). This is then sold in large quantities to integrator manufacturers of AVRs, LCD/Plasma displays for example.

Phil.
post #110 of 607 Old 02-24-2008, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Look--the only company in the world that would produce a Swiss Army Knife player that did it all would be Oppo.

Denon and Pioneer will produce ones that do everything BUT SD DVDs but they'll charge 10 trillion dollars.

Oppo will charge whatever it wants--which will be half of what they charge and will sell plenty of them.

Of course the usual suspect brand loyal snobs around here will trash them--what's new?
post #111 of 607 Old 02-25-2008, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 880
Quote:

Sorry for your problem, but in my personal situation, I would like to preserve both players for specific contents.

-
Rodrigues
post #112 of 607 Old 02-25-2008, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigues_Brazil View Post

Sorry for your problem, but in my personal situation, I would like to preserve both players for specific contents.

Quote:

i agree. it's getting crowded with all the different components and i've invested money in my Oppo player as well, but if Oppo were to come out with a Universal player, I would move my current Oppo to my office or bedroom. problem solved.
post #113 of 607 Old 02-25-2008, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

"We have not yet aligned ourselves to the Blu-Ray high definition video format. The primary reason for this is that we feel that the current hardware solutions are not mature enough to be implemented and released by OPPO Digital. Our operational motto is to "make a mature product better". The Blu-Ray specifications are continually in flux, and we can't afford to create a solution which will become obsolete within a year.

We are vigorously investigating all current and future hardware solutions, however we do not know when we will commit to them."

The above was just sent to me by Oppo in response to my question about a Blu-ray model.
post #114 of 607 Old 02-25-2008, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: close to Milwaukee, WI but far enough from the hood!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Press View Post

"We have not yet aligned ourselves to the Blu-Ray high definition video format. The primary reason for this is that we feel that the current hardware solutions are not mature enough to be implemented and released by OPPO Digital. Our operational motto is to "make a mature product better". The Blu-Ray specifications are continually in flux, and we can't afford to create a solution which will become obsolete within a year.

We are vigorously investigating all current and future hardware solutions, however we do not know when we will commit to them."

The above was just sent to me by Oppo in response to my question about a Blu-ray model.

Wow, thanks for that. I agree with them 1000% about the immaturity of Blu Ray, but am surprised they are not calling the ability to update via firmware a viable option to limit the possibility of becoming obsolete.

Pat
post #115 of 607 Old 02-25-2008, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

As has been said several times already, if everything goes perfectly smooth and perfect for Oppo's BR player production, then we MIGHT see it by Christmas.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #116 of 607 Old 02-25-2008, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

I just don't understand why he would think Oppo would release a Blu-ray player that will NOT play SD DVD.

Since they already have the best SD DVD players on the market, why would they want those to become obsolete? I know I wouldn't appreciate that. And omitting those scalers would keep prices down, too.

Quote:

+1. Who is this guy?

Yeah, let's not have one post that isn't founded in pure science.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnshan View Post

Yeah, they must want to be the first HDM player to ever NOT play SD DVD's.
+1 on your response.

Pat

No, that would be Samsung.

Quote:

Understood, and I certainly am in support of companies giving us options!

Let's just wait and see!!

I couldn't exactly tell you what their reasons are but it doesn't seem that far off to me. If all it did was bitstream the latest HD audio and BR video for about $275, the line would start somewhere around China! And it will!!
post #117 of 607 Old 02-25-2008, 02:43 PM

I am a fan of Oppo's approach. I think their decision to wait for mature technology is an excellent use of scarce resources.

With early generation chips, the system designer must use more outboard circuitry to meet high audio and video standards. Additionally, the system designer must write a lot of firmware routines, if for nothing else than to correct the bugs present in the chip vendor's reference designs.

As the chips mature, a designer like Oppo needs to add fewer correcting circuits, and can devote their software coding efforts to implementing a good user interface rather than correcting early generation bugs.

Just my two cents.

--Dean L. Surkin
post #118 of 607 Old 02-25-2008, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

As long as it can still output SD DVD at 480i, I am in for sure. For that matter, I'd like to have the ability to output any source material (DivX, MPEG, whatever) at native resolution and let the REON in my Integra do the dirty work.
post #119 of 607 Old 02-25-2008, 04:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Since they already have the best SD DVD players on the market, why would they want those to become obsolete? I know I wouldn't appreciate that. And omitting those scalers would keep prices down, too.

How would they be obsolete? They still work, don't they?

It is a matter of upgrading to Blu-ray. Oppo wants new customers. I don't think you would have many new customers buying a Blu-ray player if it doesn't also play SD DVD.
post #120 of 607 Old 02-25-2008, 04:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

How would they be obsolete? They still work, don't they?

It is a matter of upgrading to Blu-ray. Oppo wants new customers. I don't think you would have many new customers buying a Blu-ray player if it doesn't also play SD DVD.

It would become obsolete in the scenario that a lot of people have only one "theater type" setup. If they want the Oppo BR player, and that player does everything the same or better than the old player plus BR too, then the old player is now just about worthless. Who would even want to buy it since it doesn't play BRM? Hence, back to my scenario of having a transport only BR player AND a universal player. Now there's something for everyone.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page