PS3 vs BD50 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 170 Old 02-20-2008, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The PS3 and Panasonic DMP-BD50 seem to be considered the best two Profile 2.0 Players by most people. I didn't find a thread comparing them, so what do you think is the better player and why?

After some research, here are my pros/cons:

PS3
----
PROS:
-the most future-proof (wireless connectivity, 40gb storage, web browser, etc)
-40 GB CF model is usually very quiet/silent
-Pro/Con: Universal/Harmony remote compatibility fixed, but have to buy separate device: Nyko remote ($14), or soon with this:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=984409

CONS:
-Doesn't bitstream TrueHD/dts-ma
-Doesn't have 5.1 analog out

Panasonic BD50
----------------
PROS:
-Sure to be silent (like the bd30)
-Internally decodes all formats
-Analog out (although 5.1) (and bitstreams)

CONS:
-Price said by Panasonic to be "comparative" to BD30 -- meaning MSRP will be at least $499 ($100 more) than PS3.
-according to some reviews, has below average SD DVD upconversion.

--For the average user (not interested in games), which is the best BD Player for the price and why:
1. with an HDMI receiver?
2. without an HDMI receiver?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 170 Old 02-20-2008, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Biggest con for the BD50 is you can't buy it yet.
post #3 of 170 Old 02-20-2008, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I know. Just wondering what people thought since it's due out soon and the specs have been announced. Personally trying to decide between the two.
post #4 of 170 Old 02-20-2008, 08:05 AM

my PS3 says bitstream audio available on it. :P
post #5 of 170 Old 02-20-2008, 08:07 AM
eci

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosebump View Post

For the average user (with a non-hdmi receiver), which is the best BD Player for the price and why?

Non-HDMI receiver? BD50 all the way. Without HDMI, you get NO LOSSLESS whatsoever with PS3.
post #6 of 170 Old 02-20-2008, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, I know. Just wondering what people thought since it's due out soon and the specs have been announced. Personally trying to decide between the two.

How important is the lossless decoding with analog output to you? Thats the key advantage of the 50.
post #7 of 170 Old 02-20-2008, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

I previously had the HD-A2 and thought the 1.5 DTS was absolutely incredible. I suppose I've never heard the true lossless top HD codecs. (It's hard to imagine...is it really a huge difference?)
post #8 of 170 Old 02-20-2008, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eci View Post

Non-HDMI receiver? BD50 all the way. Without HDMI, you get NO LOSSLESS whatsoever with PS3.

I agree.......

"Some people are like Slinkies--not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."
post #9 of 170 Old 02-20-2008, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For the average user (with a non-hdmi receiver), which is the best BD Player for the price and why?

I think there are a lot of people with HDMI receivers, and the numbers, I'm sure, are growing each day.

How about also adding "PS3 or BD50 for people who DO have a HDMI receiver"?
post #10 of 170 Old 02-20-2008, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amheck View Post

I think there are a lot of people with HDMI receivers, and the numbers, I'm sure, are growing each day.

How about also adding "PS3 or BD50 for people who DO have a HDMI receiver"?

ok, good idea.
post #11 of 170 Old 02-20-2008, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I guess the secondary question is what timeframe are you buying in? Today there is no choice, in 6 months, the bd50 might be available. If I was to wait till xmas season (nov/dec) I would say the selection will be completely different and the ps3 could see yet another price drop, who knows?

I think the ps3 has a lot of nice extras like the PSN downloads and games, but I know that doesn't matter to everyone.

-Splints
post #12 of 170 Old 02-20-2008, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by splinters View Post

I guess the secondary question is what timeframe are you buying in? Today there is no choice, in 6 months, the bd50 might be available. If I was to wait till xmas season (nov/dec) I would say the selection will be completely different and the ps3 could see yet another price drop, who knows?

I think the ps3 has a lot of nice extras like the PSN downloads and games, but I know that doesn't matter to everyone.

-Splints

Actually, Panasonic said at CES that the BD50 will be out by April.
post #13 of 170 Old 02-20-2008, 12:11 PM

I could've made this thread...it's exactly what I was contemplating.

However I want to get going with blue ray RIGHT NOW and I have two boys to consider(12 and 14)...

My solution is to pick up the PS3 now for blue ray and games for the boys(many good high def games out now) and then in about six months when the BD50 has come down in price or there are better alternatives I'll look into picking one of those up for the HT.

My old Denon 3300 is a great DD 5.1 reciever but I'll need a player that can decode and bitstream without HDMI.

Picking up a cheap Onkyo 605 is an option but I really like my Denon and don't want to run video through the Onkyo as they fail in that regard unless you spend some big money on the better chip.

So, PS3 for now...it does so much more than just play BlueRay that the choice isn't even comparable atm...having that HDD to store media, USB ports, etc etc. It's basically a little computer that you can change the OS on.
post #14 of 170 Old 02-20-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by efxmaster View Post

my PS3 says bitstream audio available on it. :P

I won't bitstream HBR audio. It will give you the dumb down version...check the PS3 FAQ. It decodes HBR internally and sends it out as LPCM via HDMI.
post #15 of 170 Old 02-20-2008, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

PS3
----
PROS:
-the most future-proof (wireless connectivity, 40gb storage, web browser, etc)
-Universal remote (Harmony) compatibility fixed -- with Nyko remote or soon with this:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=984409

-40 GB CF model is usually very quiet/silent

I'm having a hard time seeing the removal of a deficiency as a "pro". In fact, maybe that ought to be in the "con" list? It can work with a universal remote . . . but you've got to go buy something to make that happen?
post #16 of 170 Old 02-20-2008, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhodory View Post

I'm having a hard time seeing the removal of a deficiency as a "pro". In fact, maybe that ought to be in the "con" list? It can work with a universal remote . . . but you've got to go buy something to make that happen?

I agree, I adjusted it.
Anyone else have an opinion regarding PS3 vs bd50 (if you have an hdmi receiver).
post #17 of 170 Old 02-21-2008, 06:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked: 752
UNless you play games on the PS3 there is no reason at all to get the PS3. If the BD50 is as good as the BD30, it is much more desireable for BD playback than the PS3. My BD30 is much better than the PS3 for BD playback any day. And if the BD50 is just as good I will sell my BD30 and get the BD50. I stll need to sell my PS3 that I've had since 2006. For me the only thing it does better than the 360 is play BD titles and since I have the BD30 now there is no use for the PS3.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #18 of 170 Old 02-21-2008, 06:33 AM

Many will tell you that the DVD up-converion is subpar on the BD-30 compared to the PS3. If true and it's important to you, this would be considered a negative if the BD-50 is comparable to the BD-30 in this area.
post #19 of 170 Old 02-21-2008, 07:29 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

UNless you play games on the PS3 there is no reason at all to get the PS3. If the BD50 is as good as the BD30, it is much more desireable for BD playback than the PS3. My BD30 is much better than the PS3 for BD playback any day. And if the BD50 is just as good I will sell my BD30 and get the BD50. I stll need to sell my PS3 that I've had since 2006. For me the only thing it does better than the 360 is play BD titles and since I have the BD30 now there is no use for the PS3.

Disagree, especialy with the LFE bug on the 30. For anyone using HDMI for audio this is a significant issue. I am willing to bet that Panny will fix this, but as of today it is not. Also the PS3 has many advantages over the 30 as far as loading times, disc navigation, menu navigation. BD30 has DTS-MA, and is not as loud, these are the only 2 advantages. PQ is identical between the 2 from my tests at 1080/24p. The PS3 is one nice machine that does a lot of dif things, not just play movies/games. SACD is another PS3 advantage over the 30 which is a nice feature.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #20 of 170 Old 02-21-2008, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Disagree, especialy with the LFE bug on the 30. For anyone using HDMI for audio this is a significant issue. I am willing to bet that Panny will fix this, but as of today it is not. Also the PS3 has many advantages over the 30 as far as loading times, disc navigation, menu navigation. BD30 has DTS-MA, and is not as loud, these are the only 2 advantages. PQ is identical between the 2 from my tests at 1080/24p. The PS3 is one nice machine that does a lot of dif things, not just play movies/games. SACD is another PS3 advantage over the 30 which is a nice feature.

Good points. Do you think the PS3 has future advantages with its 40gb hdd (and web browser) -- perhaps anyone heard if TV recording capability is in the works, or Netflix streaming?
post #21 of 170 Old 02-21-2008, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 151
How can you compare when neither player is available at 2.0 level? Spec-ulation pretty much goes nowhere when you can't see how either player works.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #22 of 170 Old 02-21-2008, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbaillar View Post

I won't bitstream HBR audio. It will give you the dumb down version...check the PS3 FAQ. It decodes HBR internally and sends it out as LPCM via HDMI.

How is this "dumb down"? Technically it requires more intelligence to decode the bitstream and send out PCM. Unless your receiver has limitations with PCM streams the result is the same and it doesn't require your receiver to have the decoder.
post #23 of 170 Old 02-21-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Davis View Post

How is this "dumb down"? Technically it requires more intelligence to decode the bitstream and send out PCM. Unless your receiver has limitations with PCM streams the result is the same and it doesn't require your receiver to have the decoder.

Did you check out the FAQ? If you have select a HBR audio it will give you either DD or DTS over bitstream. I'm not referring to the intelligence of the PS3, I'm referring to a lower bitrate audio.
post #24 of 170 Old 02-21-2008, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
The Panasonic BD50 clearly looks like it will be the better movie player in general to me:

PS3 can't bitstreaming of nextgen codecs. The Panasonic BD50 can.
PS3 can't decode DTS-HDMA. The Panasonic BD50 can.
PS3 doesn't have analog 5.1 outs. The Panasonic BD50 does.
PS3 can get loud with stage2/3 fan ramp ups. Panasonic BD50 doesn't need a big fan and is quiet like the BD30.
PS3 is large. Panasonic BD50 is small.
PS3 is ugly (IMO). Panasonic BD50 is sleek.
PS3 requires a bluetooth remote incompatible with your Universal. Panasonic BD50 uses compatible IR.
Panasonic BD50 is very fast and has all the remaining movie features of PS3, plus BD profile 2.0 support.

And, AVS insiders have implied that the LFE bug in the BD30 will most likely be fixed in the BD50. So all around, the BD50 looks like it will take the crown as best BD player IMO.
post #25 of 170 Old 02-21-2008, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbaillar View Post

Did you check out the FAQ? If you have select a HBR audio it will give you either DD or DTS over bitstream. I'm not referring to the intelligence of the PS3, I'm referring to a lower bitrate audio.

Are you talking about optical output?
PS3 can completely convert TrueHD to PCM and keep it lossless and send it via HDMI. All it does is decompressing the TrueHD to PCM which keeps quality the same.
PS3 will only decode DTS core if DTS-MA is selected. But no player out there can internally DTS-MA yet.

A Home Theater Enthusiast!
post #26 of 170 Old 02-21-2008, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I am waiting for the Panny BD50 for three reasons.

1 - I do not want to buy a game console to play movies
2 - I am a Panny fanboy and buy all their products (TV, Receiver etc.)
3 - Profile 2.0
post #27 of 170 Old 02-21-2008, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post

The Panasonic BD50 clearly looks like it will be the better movie player in general to me:

PS3 can't bitstreaming of nextgen codecs. The Panasonic BD50 can.
PS3 can't decode DTS-HDMA. The Panasonic BD50 can.
PS3 doesn't have analog 5.1 outs. The Panasonic BD50 does.
PS3 can get loud with stage2/3 fan ramp ups. Panasonic BD50 doesn't need a big fan and is quiet like the BD30.
PS3 is large. Panasonic BD50 is small.
PS3 is ugly (IMO). Panasonic BD50 is sleek.
PS3 requires a bluetooth remote incompatible with your Universal. Panasonic BD50 uses compatible IR.
Panasonic BD50 is very fast and has all the remaining movie features of PS3, plus BD profile 2.0 support.

And, AVS insiders have implied that the LFE bug in the BD30 will most likely be fixed in the BD50. So all around, the BD50 looks like it will take the crown as best BD player IMO.

IMO the single biggest advantage: there is no possibility that games can be played on the BD50. You can disable PS3 game playing with level & password settings, but it is better to not have the possibility at all.

I know this isn't a concern for all families, but for us, it is.
post #28 of 170 Old 02-21-2008, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Burke View Post

IMO the single biggest advantage: there is no possibility that games can be played on the BD50. You can disable PS3 game playing with level & password settings, but it is better to not have the possibility at all.

I know this isn't a concern for all families, but for us, it is.

The fact that you rule out a quality machine such as the PS3 simply because games COULD be played on it mind-boggling. What do you do when your children leave your house to go to friends house? In addition, you could also just not buy any games. Your children must be fairly young (as the ridiculousness of your anti-game paranoia increases as they get older) so they probably do not have $60.00 laying around to go purchase a PS3 game covertly and play it without your knowledge. When I was that age, holy hell, $60 was like a bajillion dollars to me and I certainly wouldn't have bought a game with it.

Im sure your children are reliant upon you for nearly 100% of their consumer entertainment so you can, if you so desire, regulate their game playing by not purchasing games and you still get a great machine and BD player.

Edit* I just remembered. Profile 2.0 (which players like the BD 50 has) offers interactive game playing across compatible players through the internet....so does that mean all of the newer profile 2.0 players are out too?
post #29 of 170 Old 02-21-2008, 01:44 PM

When will the BD50 be available?
post #30 of 170 Old 02-21-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakashizuma View Post

Are you talking about optical output?
PS3 can completely convert TrueHD to PCM and keep it lossless and send it via HDMI. All it does is decompressing the TrueHD to PCM which keeps quality the same.
PS3 will only decode DTS core if DTS-MA is selected. But no player out there can internally DTS-MA yet.

I believe the original question was regarding bitstream. PCM is not bitstream. Which is too bad...since I have a pre/pro that will decode everything. Kinda disappointing to see MultiPCM show up...
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page