Panny bd10ak thinking about upgrading to bd30 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 02-24-2008, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a panny bd10k bought not even a year ago. I am happy about it eversince. it plays all my BR disc flawlessly but I know that bd10a is kind of limited in terms of bitstreaming, I just upgraded my AVR and got the Onkyo 705 I know that this reciever can bitstream advanced codecs via hdmi if I get the bd30. Now my question is it really that great if I let my reciever bitsreaming instead of the player and send it to my reciever as PCM? Does anyone actually upgraded from panny bd10 to any bluray players capable of bitstreaming? and what did you upgraded to? and why? is it worth upgrading now since the format war is over. I see on the hd dvd thread that a35 is now 149.xx from several retailers and I know that will bitstream new codecs to my reciever but I dont see any point of me upgrading my a2 for that since I only have about 30 hd dvd movies. I would rather upgrade my bluray players since all high def movies will be in bluray now. Please help me decide what bluray player is okey for my set up. Can bd30 bitstream 7.1 like for example 3:10 to yuma? My choices is bd30 or samsung 1400 I am kind of tight in budget.

Thanks,
Peter

Peter
Enjoy HD no matter what......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-24-2008, 07:11 PM

I just bought the BD10a, I think the main difference between it & the BD10 is it already has the 2.4 firmware installed. If you can live with out DTS MA & somewhat slow load time, These are nice units.
post #3 of 17 Old 02-24-2008, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

the one thing the Panny 10 doesnt decode internally is DTS HD Master so if thats important to you should think about upgrading

I personally like Bistream better but thats just me, there are a zillion threads about this so if you search you can read about it until your eyes bleed

if Im not mistaken 3:10 to Yuma is 7.1 PCM so that wouldnt be Bistreamed anyway...Shoot'em Up is DTS HD Master 7.1 and sounds pretty good through the Onkyos

-
If you havent listened to it yet can you really say its not better?
post #4 of 17 Old 02-24-2008, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old AV Buff View Post

I just bought the BD10a, I think the main difference between it & the BD10 is it already has the 2.4 firmware installed. If you can live with out DTS MA & somewhat slow load time, These are nice units.

The load time on the Panasonics are not slow when compared to other Bluray players, thats just how it is

-
If you havent listened to it yet can you really say its not better?
post #5 of 17 Old 02-24-2008, 07:24 PM

Other than the LFE bug through HDMI, and no 1.1 and no DTS-HD MA; it is a solid player. So if you can live with the things I just mentioned and don't have one of the new 1.3 HDMI recievers, I wouldn't worry about it. I still have mine and am still very impressed with it. It is what a 1st gen player should be. Of course, I wanted DTS-HD MA so I invested in the 30 and got a new AVR to go along with it.
post #6 of 17 Old 02-24-2008, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I do have the Onkyo 705, that is why I am thinking of upgrading to bd30 so I can enjoy some fox title via bitstream.

Peter
post #7 of 17 Old 02-24-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutlian View Post

I do have the Onkyo 705, that is why I am thinking of upgrading to bd30 so I can enjoy some fox title via bitstream.

Then what are waiting for? Get it and experience pure audio Nirvanna. But make sure you don't pay more than $469. I hear you can get it cheaper than that, though.
post #8 of 17 Old 02-25-2008, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

I have a panny bd10k bought not even a year ago. I am happy about it eversince. it plays all my BR disc flawlessly but I know that bd10a is kind of limited in terms of bitstreaming, I just upgraded my AVR and got the Onkyo 705 I know that this reciever can bitstream advanced codecs via hdmi if I get the bd30. Now my question is it really that great if I let my reciever bitsreaming instead of the player and send it to my reciever as PCM? Does anyone actually upgraded from panny bd10 to any bluray players capable of bitstreaming? and what did you upgraded to? and why? is it worth upgrading now since the format war is over. I see on the hd dvd thread that a35 is now 149.xx from several retailers and I know that will bitstream new codecs to my reciever but I dont see any point of me upgrading my a2 for that since I only have about 30 hd dvd movies. I would rather upgrade my bluray players since all high def movies will be in bluray now. Please help me decide what bluray player is okey for my set up. Can bd30 bitstream 7.1 like for example 3:10 to yuma? My choices is bd30 or samsung 1400 I am kind of tight in budget.

Thanks,
Peter

Why not hold on for the BD50 coming out in 1-2 months? Even if it is more expensive than the BD30 is now, you'll be able to get a BD30 way cheaper then.
post #9 of 17 Old 02-25-2008, 06:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

The 30 has the same LFE bug as the 10. Not a good thing.

Edited to add that the latest 30 frimware fixes the bug. So the 30 is OK if you don't want Profile 2.0.

Jerry the HT Nut
post #10 of 17 Old 02-25-2008, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post

Why not hold on for the BD50 coming out in 1-2 months? Even if it is more expensive than the BD30 is now, you'll be able to get a BD30 way cheaper then.

I think you are right I might just wait for the bd50 to come out by then I can get the bd30 even cheaper. Right now I can get the bd30 at 350.xx open box is that a good price?

Peter
post #11 of 17 Old 02-25-2008, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulstice X View Post

Then what are waiting for? Get it and experience pure audio Nirvanna. But make sure you don't pay more than $469. I hear you can get it cheaper than that, though.

Thanks for the advised. I have an open box to think about it is for 350.xx,
it is a display/demo from the store near me. it is still there.

Peter
post #12 of 17 Old 02-25-2008, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT Nut View Post

The 30 has the same LFE bug as the 10. Not a good thing.

The LFE bug on the BD30 has been fixed with the latest firmware.
post #13 of 17 Old 02-25-2008, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think you are right I might just wait for the bd50 to come out by then I can get the bd30 even cheaper. Right now I can get the bd30 at 350.xx open box is that a good price?

It is a very good price as long as there is nothing wrong with it. Make sure you download 1.6 firmware.

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...bd30/bd30.html

You will enjoy DTS-HD MA and the discrete 7.1 that it has to offer.

Dive deep, play with sharks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 17 Old 02-25-2008, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by divedude View Post

It is a very good price as long as there is nothing wrong with it. Make sure you download 1.6 firmware.

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...bd30/bd30.html

You will enjoy DTS-HD MA and the discrete 7.1 that it has to offer.

Thanks I will check on it on my way home. Thanks

Peter
post #15 of 17 Old 02-25-2008, 07:19 PM

I currently have a BD10 and am planning to upgrade to the BD50 when it is released. I would get the BD30, but having internal decoding and an ethernet port is worth the wait for the new model.
post #16 of 17 Old 02-26-2008, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2010 View Post

I currently have a BD10 and am planning to upgrade to the BD50 when it is released. I would get the BD30, but having internal decoding and an ethernet port is worth the wait for the new model.

I had the 10A and upgraded to the BD-30. The reason was I purchased the Onkyo 605. DTS-MA is worth the upgrade especially if you already have the 705. Try Live free or Die hard...you won't be disappointed!
post #17 of 17 Old 02-26-2008, 12:03 PM

Same boat here. Bought the BD10A 2 months ago because I didn't have a receiver that supported HDMI. Then I went and bought the Onkyo 805 last weekend and am now wishing I had bought the 30 instead of the 10.

If I can find a good deal on a 30, I might take the plunge. Is there a good market for used 10A's on eBay? How much could I get for it?

A
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
how cute. You measure your TV's size in
inches...
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page