My new bar, HT and basement build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 03-21-2008, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all,

Although I have a build thread over in the dedicated side, I figured I would go ahead and start a thread here since my build is really more than a dedicated HT.

My first pics are of the bar area. Some may have seen the initial photos over on the dedicated side but here are the most recent photos of the work I got done today.

Since my mom has been visiting for the past week I did not get a lot done in the basement but I did manage to get some staining done on my bar today.

The stain color is a Minwax Red Oak over oak edging while the bar top is oak flooring finished in Minway Ebony stain.. The beadboard in the photos is from Lowe's and I am not really sure what type of wood it is, and the cabinets are oak. I really like the color contrast between the black stain and the red oak, and the way the beadboard takes the stain and gives a nice difference in how the wood reacts.

Tomorrow I plan on on putting on a few coats of Polycrylic throughout the day. Hopefully it will turn out nice. I plan on picking up a Magic Chef under counter beverage center from HD on Sunday so hopefully by end of day tomorrow I will be done with all my woodwork and can plug it in and load it up with beer and soda.

John

John Martin
Fort Mill, SC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-21-2008, 05:50 PM

Looks nice! I like the tiles a lot.
post #3 of 22 Old 03-23-2008, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Got 4 coats of poly on the bar top this weekend. Turned out pretty nice. I still have half a can of poly left so I will continue outting on coats until I run out

Here is the bar top after 4 coats.

Also picked up an under counter beverage center from HD. $299 plus a $50 rebate. Not a bad deal.

I still need to clean the floor and seal it so ignore that part.

John Martin
Fort Mill, SC

post #4 of 22 Old 03-23-2008, 05:23 PM

looks great. I love the granite tile.
post #5 of 22 Old 03-24-2008, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBFletcher View Post

Looks nice! I like the tiles a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathead View Post

looks great. I love the granite tile.

Thanks. So do I. Looks even better in person. Pictures make everything look dusty due to the flash. In person it super shiny and a perfect fit for the rest of the bar.

John Martin
Fort Mill, SC

post #6 of 22 Old 03-24-2008, 12:56 PM

Very nice!

I like the look of the painted front side. I thought about doing the same to my bar front.

What fridge is that?

post #7 of 22 Old 03-24-2008, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netko350Z View Post

Very nice!

I like the look of the painted front side. I thought about doing the same to my bar front.

What fridge is that?

Netko,

Is is a Magic Chef, 5.8 CF under counter beverage center from Home Depot. Cost $299, plus a mail in $50 rebate and we used a $10 off coupon.

John

John Martin
Fort Mill, SC

post #8 of 22 Old 03-24-2008, 06:03 PM

Looks great!!

Doug's Home Theater
post #9 of 22 Old 03-25-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Martin View Post

Netko,

Is is a Magic Chef, 5.8 CF under counter beverage center from Home Depot. Cost $299, plus a mail in $50 rebate and we used a $10 off coupon.

John

DAMMIT... Imight pull mine out and get that!

I love the glass front!

post #10 of 22 Old 03-25-2008, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djn312 View Post

Looks great!!

Doug's Home Theater

Thanks Doug.

John Martin
Fort Mill, SC

post #11 of 22 Old 03-25-2008, 07:30 PM

Liked: 12
Hey John your bar looks great! How much variance did you give for framing in the beverage cooler? I was going to put one of these under my bar but I want to make it snug but not too tight.

Beer is the answer! What is the question?
post #12 of 22 Old 03-26-2008, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzybear50 View Post

Hey John your bar looks great! How much variance did you give for framing in the beverage cooler? I was going to put one of these under my bar but I want to make it snug but not too tight.

Fuzzy,

I am not home to measure it but I believe I made the opening 24.5" to give a little cushion on the sides. I ended up with just under a 1/2" on each side. Depending on your flooring you may have to work it a bit. I installed slate and each piece is not the same thickness so I had a little difficulty getting the thing under the counter as I kept catching on the slate edges. It has leveling pegs on all 4 corners so keep that in mind when installing

John Martin
Fort Mill, SC

post #13 of 22 Old 03-26-2008, 10:39 AM

What type and size oak flooring did you use for the bar? how did you secure it?
post #14 of 22 Old 03-26-2008, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by micmag View Post

What type and size oak flooring did you use for the bar? how did you secure it?

It is unfinished 2.25 oak secured with liquid nails and brads to hold it in place until the liquid nails dried. It is freaking solid for sure as it is installed over .75" plywood subbase. It is stained with Minwax Ebony stain with 4 coats of poly on it.

John Martin
Fort Mill, SC

post #15 of 22 Old 03-26-2008, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
How did I miss this? Nice work, I love the base color and the Granite tiles....this is going to be a focal point for your friends, family and me when I'm invited!

Congrats!

Randy

post #16 of 22 Old 03-26-2008, 04:34 PM

Thanks for the info. It looks great.
post #17 of 22 Old 03-26-2008, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyNow^ View Post

How did I miss this? Nice work, I love the base color and the Granite tiles....this is going to be a focal point for your friends, family and me when I'm invited!

Congrats!

Thanks Randy. Your bar was my inspiration for the wood top as was Hawkeye Josh's for the granite. You are welcome any time (after I finish the whole basement that is). Let me know if you are ever down this way and I'll have you over for a beer or two.

John

John Martin
Fort Mill, SC

post #18 of 22 Old 03-26-2008, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by micmag View Post

Thanks for the info. It looks great.

My pleasure and thanks for the compliments. If the rest of my basement turns out as well as this has I am going to be very happy.

John

John Martin
Fort Mill, SC

post #19 of 22 Old 11-04-2008, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Martin View Post

Netko,

John

John,

First, the bar looks great!

I am looking at the same set-up for my fridge. Same fridge from HD too. Do you have any problems with the fridge not cool your beer enough? I appreciate your insight

Thanks,
Brett

My Build Thread:

"Sometimes you gotta race!"

Its the fastest game on two feet...check it out:

post #20 of 22 Old 11-05-2008, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Very nice work. Looks like a bar I could belly up to and drink a few

Check out
post #21 of 22 Old 11-06-2008, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Nice work! Another +1 for the tiles. I have the same (but 12x12 in my HT bathroom).

||
post #22 of 22 Old 11-06-2008, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchristo View Post

John,

First, the bar looks great!

I am looking at the same set-up for my fridge. Same fridge from HD too. Do you have any problems with the fridge not cool your beer enough? I appreciate your insight

Thanks,
Brett

Brett,

The fridge goes down to 39 degrees and while it takes a little while to get the drink cool, especially if you load it up full, once they are cool they are fine. No problems.

Thanks for the comments. I have done a lot more work to the bar since my last post. The basement if basically complete with only minor touch-ups in paint required and some theater trim work. I got (3) 42" bar stools locally here in Charlotte that work great at the front and I added a MAME machine to the side. Nice place to hang out now. I am looking to get a kegerator soon and start brewing my own too. Should be fun.

Jamis,

I am using the 6"x6" tiles in my HT bathroom. They look really good with a gloss sealer too.

John

John Martin
Fort Mill, SC

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page