Home Office w dualhead projectors - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 04-13-2008, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is cross posted from my theater thread in the dedicated theater room section.

I have my office just about finished. SInce it is kind of a media room i thought i would post here. It has 2 dlp projectors, a 37 lcd and my two desktop lcds and it was a custom diy build. When we moved in the house had a typical layout with the dining room on one side of the entry and a useless living room on the other side (there is a family room that gets used all the time). Right behind the dining room was a small 10 x 13 office so we did some mods to turn the living room into a dining room (that never get's used) then walled in the dining room and knocked the wall out between it and the office. Easier to just show a picture below.

I found a deal at an old mill nearby for a stack of solid cherry 3/8 beadboard so I carted it home and used it for wainscoating. I always wanted to do a room in natural cherry because I think it is a beautiful wood. I had maple hardwood layed on the floor which is great contrast with the cherry. I built cherry cabinets to go behind the desk and a desktop out of solid 2 thick cherry ( 96 x 42). To top it off I put in a cherry soffit all around the room then painted the ceiling black to hide all the stuff up there. My wife thought I was nuts of course but I do a lot of videoconferencing and I wanted to be able to put lighting, sonex panels, etc up there and not worry about how it looked. Here is the look of it. It looks like this:

Pardon the legs of the desk. I decided after we were finishing that they looked to plain so I am getting a little more wainscoating and will do them the same as the walls.

For electronics I have a 2 PC's I built using HTPC techniques learned here. They have solid state drives, silent fans and power supplies, etc. Each has a dualhead graphics card and the output goes into a video DA which feeds both a dualhead KVM switch going to my desk as well as an extron matrix switcher. From my desk I can hotkey between the two pc's and both monitors switch together. The matrix switch drives a 37 lcd tv on the other side of the room and 2 dlp projectors tiled onto a custom 8:3 aspect ratio, 10' wide screen at the far end of the room. This way I can for instance put the first pc onto my desktop monitors and tile the second one across the two projectors at the far end of the room.

i also do a lot of videoconferencing on a dedicated T1 from glowpoint (www.glowpoint.com) so the 37 has a ptz camera above it and the output of the polycom can be routed to any of the screens. I have a standard studio 3 point lighting setup done with track fixtures (key, fill and backlight). When I do videoconferences I use an in-ear monitor driven by a shure wireless in-ear unit. The whole video thing paid for itself in 3 months with not only reduced travel but also meetings that I was able to participate in that I would not have flown for due to logistics. Finally I just ebayed a crown dc-75a 1U amp and a pair of black axiom speakers that will be mounted on the ceiling in front of the desk aimed back at me. in the pics below i still need to wrap the black panel under the tv with speaker grill cloth.

Learning from home theater builds I thought ahead about how to run wires and access equipment. I ran a 4 pvc drain pipe under the floor before the basement was finished which comes up inside the leg of my desk. The other end comes up behind my cabinets so that even if you are under my desk you don't see any wires. The only thing on the desk are the monitors, keyboard and mouse and all the video, usb, etc go under the floor to the racks behind me. I cut an access panel into the coat closet so that I can stand in the triangular space behind my equipment racks. All phone, network, video, UPS, audio, etc is in that room.

This has been a huge job but I am really thrilled with how it has come out. With work as busy as it has been it took to 2 years to get the office together and I still have a few finishing touches to do. I am most happy with how clean the desk looks with no drawers, computers, wires, etc. As a woodworker I am very pleased with all the natural cherry and maple and even little details like the doors to the cabinets have solid wood raised panels turned backwards rather than plywood panels. It is a dumb little detail but it really makes it feel like it is done right to me.

now i just need to get some furniture and hang some pictures and i am done.

greg

-------------------------
Big Red Cinema Build - In Progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 04-13-2008, 08:13 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Wow
post #3 of 29 Old 04-13-2008, 08:24 AM

Looks GREAT!! Sure wish I could work from home......WITH YOUR ROOM!!
post #4 of 29 Old 04-16-2008, 05:57 AM

I wouldn't want my co-workers to see that...I'd have to leave the camera off. Very nice.

Where's the sound system for music?
post #5 of 29 Old 04-16-2008, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

thanks mr welsh. i actually have a black fidelio backdrop that i put up for important conferences. funny you picked up on that but i found in my old office that the fancy cabinets i had in the background were kind of a put-off or distraction for customers.

i am putting sound in this week. i just racked up a crown D-75A amp and i have 2 axiom speakers coming that will be suspended from the ceiling in front of the desk so that when i am looking at my monitors they are to the right and left pointed back at me.

g

post #6 of 29 Old 04-17-2008, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Very nice, Greg - creative, comfortable. Looks like you've built a productive and workable space.

Are you going to limit it to work-only so you can deduct it from your taxes? As it sits now, I think you have a strong case - especially if you have a separate room that you can demonstrate as family use.

And I think you're all over the video conferencing thing. We haven't done it yet, but we've talked about buying and GIVING Macbooks to our biggest customers so we can do video conferencing - even at $1,000 each, that's cheap compared to travel and the value of face-to-face communication.

Randy

Visit Cinema Murray

Check out a video of my theater here

post #7 of 29 Old 04-17-2008, 06:58 AM

I'm curious, what is the cost of the Polycom gear? And this T1 line is dedicated to the video service and you have a separate internet connection? Sounds expensive...and perhaps disappointing unless you have a really quick internet connection as well. The in-ear monitor system sounds like a great idea.
post #8 of 29 Old 04-17-2008, 07:17 AM

Very Nice! I thought about doing the projector thing but had to build my office a little smaller than I wanted. Pics here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post10695353

Are you a day trader?

Brendin
post #9 of 29 Old 04-18-2008, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

randy - i never thought about deducting my office. i don't even know what the rules are for that. i will look into it.

mr welsh - i use my vc for customer presentations in our briefing centers so quality is very important which is why i did glowpoint. they guarantee quality of service and i have no dropped frames etc. My company pays about 600 per month for the glowpoint circuit which includes usage to anywhere on their worldwide network. my polycom cost about 15K but it is a higher end rack mounted unit. you can get desktop systems for 3-5K that are very good. check tandberg also.

brenden - i got that question in my theater build thread (i cross posted this office thing there). no i am not a day trader. i am a cto for a large computer company.

post #10 of 29 Old 06-08-2009, 10:55 AM

Hi Greg, this is awesome. Any updated pictures with the glass shelves in place?
post #11 of 29 Old 06-08-2009, 12:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Greg -

We might just need a photo tour of your whole house. There is so much nice (& cool) stuff going on in there.
post #12 of 29 Old 06-08-2009, 12:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 52
Love the room, very well done.

Can you share the trick for keeping the office so clean!?

Mine looks like a small tornado spins through every 37.6 hours.
post #13 of 29 Old 06-08-2009, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

my goodness

The above is merely one person's opinion and is probably worth as much as you paid for it.
My Basement HT/Family Hang Out
post #14 of 29 Old 06-08-2009, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
If you haven't already, you folks should jump over to the Big Red Cinema link in his sig...

The Zen Garden HT - Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
post #15 of 29 Old 06-09-2009, 05:41 AM
HT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audixium View Post

If you haven't already, you folks should jump over to the Big Red Cinema link in his sig...

Absolutely, I went thru the entire build thread yesterday and I would put that theater up there with the best on the forum.

IndyGreg - nice office, nice theater. The hoosier crowd is very well represented with these builds.

I like this place!!!
HT1
Check Out Bar / Theater 1.0
post #16 of 29 Old 06-20-2009, 01:39 PM

Greg, just wanted to say thanks for posting this. I had bought a projector recently for rehearsing some presentations I have coming up and totally stole the idea and put up a 80" screen in my home office. I'm finding it very useful for my to do list. Somehow having a 7 ft list of things I need to get done is just too hard to procrastinate.

Haven't tried the video conference use-case yet.

I managed to snag a 80" screen for $77 on Amazon, and the quality of it is fine.

So, thank you! I never would have thought to do this without seeing your pictures.
post #17 of 29 Old 11-08-2009, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

i just noticed posts in this thread i had missed. i haven't been here in a while. here are the finished office pics.

previously i was using 2 dualhead computers on a KVM switch. I have recently switched to widescreen monitors but i decided that having 2 widescreens side by side was just too short and wide so i have now rotated them on end. it seems weird at first but i really like it. most things (web pages, word docs, etc) are tall and skinny.

i installed a second graphics card in each PC to drive the other displays in the office. you can see that i have a 720P display above the other displays which is routed to the 37" tv on the far wall. to play a video on it for instance i just drag it up off the top of my desktop display and maximize it. I am about to reconnect my matrix switcher which allows me to route any of the four vga's from my desktops (2 machines with 2 outputs each), laptop or videoconference to any screen in the room.

Below is a little flow diagram of the core av stuff. Basically each pc has 2 dvi outs to a kvm which drives the desktop monitors and 2 vga's that go into the video switcher which drives the projectors and the tv on the wall.

i finally bought furniture for the far end of the office. The brown chair is actually a recliner which gets a lot of use. My office is on the main floor close to the kitchen so I would say it gets as much family time as the family room. It is not unusual to have my wife and kids on the couch and me at my desk when we are hanging around talking.

i have finished the desk legs but in this pic i had not put the poly on them. i used strips of 1/4" cherry to make it look like they are rails and styles. I mitred the corners and added baseboard to match the rest of the room. I also ran a small 3/4" channel across the underside of the desk which allows me to route wires from the right leg to the left. this way i can have grommets on both ends with wires coming up. on the left side i have my polycom mic and the expansion base for my laptop wired in. .

the right leg of the desk opens so that i can get to the wires coming up from the floor. A piece of pvc drain pipe comes up inside the leg. This is run across the floor and comes up inside the credenza behind the desk. That fitting is a T and the pvc also continues another 20 feet to come out in an unfinished space downstairs. this way i can get future wires run from the POP downstairs to my office. again, this is just a garden variety drain pipe that i bought at ace.

inside the desk leg you can see the 3" pvc pipe coming up out of the floor.

on the other end of the pipe, the credenza behind the desk has a removable panel as well where the wires come up.

finally, the ceiling has track lights for video conferencing, 2 axiom speakers and 2 projectors. The track lights have a traditional studio lighting layout (key, fill and hair lights).

and finally, here is with the cabinet doors open showing the inside of the credenza. Note that the bottom of the credenza is much deeper than the top so that all my clutter is hidden and the printer is on a pull out shelf.

I will take a few pics of the back of the racks and the access panel that I cut into our coat closet to allow me to walk behind the equipment racks.

greg

post #18 of 29 Old 11-08-2009, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

here is the back of the office equipment racks. I simply cut out a stud in the closet and framed a header over it,l raised the shelf a bit and put a door on it using some leftover plywood beadboard from my mud room. This little space has power, GB ethernet, wireless hubs, video, audio and telephone. i also have 3 ups units that power the 2 pc's and my monitors so when the power goes out (we have storms in indiana) my systems stay running for about 30 minutes. i also have a ups in the basement on the networking gear.

Every time i do a wiring closet i think i will have one of those really neat, clean ones that looks like a custom car install then after a year or so of mods it looks like this one.

as you might imagine the room gets a little warm so I cut two vents through the wall into the kitchen and mounted a couple 120mm computer fans on the top to draw warm air out and cool air in at the floor. I have a radioshack remote thermometer that lets me monitor the temp from my desk.

you will also notice a little touchscreen i put on the other side of the wall from the wiring closet. this is a charmed quark screen that shows my front door cam and weather and also lets me control the theater lights and power in case i forget to turn it off when i come upstairs.
greg

post #19 of 29 Old 11-08-2009, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Anyone else pick the wrong line of work?

Looks amazing. Great job!
post #20 of 29 Old 11-08-2009, 12:00 PM

wow very nice office build!!
post #21 of 29 Old 11-14-2009, 08:53 AM

Thanks for posting the updated pictures! Looks great.
post #22 of 29 Old 11-14-2009, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Fantastic home office!
post #23 of 29 Old 05-08-2010, 06:32 AM

Wow I really love your dual projection set up looks great.
post #24 of 29 Old 05-08-2010, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcharles View Post

Wow I really love your dual projection set up looks great.

You should see his actual theater if your impressed with his office.

Clickie.

Enjoy.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #25 of 29 Old 05-19-2010, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

adding myself to this thread, because I love your shelves/desk. I may poach some design cues when I do my built in shelves/entertainment unit in the living room.
post #26 of 29 Old 06-15-2010, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

thanks guys. it is nice to get some of these rooms done. been living in a construction zone for too long!

greg

post #27 of 29 Old 10-24-2010, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoto7 View Post

Excellent actual theater with excellent design, nice sharing.... Hi all newbie here

Any reason you changed the link?
post #28 of 29 Old 11-20-2010, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post

Any reason you changed the link?

Wow, that's an interesting (and scary) spamming technique.
post #29 of 29 Old 10-04-2011, 02:57 AM

this is really awesome! i like your office really much.
some time ago i thought about mounting my projector in my office like you did, but I did not really found out what to use it for.
so my short question is, what do you do with the really big picture on the wall? i guess you do not watch movies so what is it?

thanks
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page