Doug's "No Name" Theater/Gaming Room - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 366 Old 03-28-2014, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I hope everyone is doing well...I have been lurking the past several months. Really went through some trying times at work but all that is past me and I am in a much different place now.

I wanted to share something with all of you and that is that I found a great use for an IP camera I had laying around the house. I hooked it up and put it in my sump pit (which is located in the front wall cabinet on the left).

Now I can check on my sump pump anytime and anywhere via an app on my phone.

I am using a FOSCAM FI8910W camera for this.

I love it. I love being out of town and knowing that we are getting a lot of rain or a melt off of snow (we got a ton this year) and I can pull up my app on my phone or go to a web site on any computer...access the ip, log on and see a LIVE video streaming of this:

NOTE: This is a snapshot from live video. It looks much better live on my phone or browser on computer.
NOTE: This is an infrared night vision shot since my sump is in an inclosure (inside the front wall cabinet to the left)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 366 Old 03-28-2014, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16

I could think of hundreds of things I'd rather watch on my cellphone than an image of my sump pump!!!  LOL

They have alarms for sump pumps.  I have the battery back up and alarm so I don't have to worry as much.

RBalwinski likes this.
post #363 of 366 Old 03-28-2014, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I like it! smile.gif
post #364 of 366 Old 03-29-2014, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 46
That is an excellent idea! I know all too well the stress of leaving the house and wondering how things are going in the pit. Very cool.

Glad to hear that you are in a different space. I think we all go through that at some point or another. I have been with the same company for 18+ years and doing the same job for almost 9. Very easy to get in a rut and find yourself in a bad space.

Thanks for the update.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #365 of 366 Old 03-30-2014, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
^^^^ Yeah, my last place got me to a point where I forgot what life was as I was so busy with work. Now, I am on a complete 180 path and love it. However, this weather is just killing me now! smile.gif

Anyway, on the sump pump cam, I know there are better setups with better notification controls and someday I will have such a setup but for now, this is really effective and convenient and works too!

The drain tile that feeds the pit really holds the water well when the pump fails as it has done before and at the worse time. So, checking it only when I know there has been a lot of rain or snow melt is all I need and its quite comforting being able to just randomly check on it and seeing the water or no water in the pit. I also can rotate the camera, turn off the night vision mode and see the status lights on my backup pump to see if the battery is ok or if it has cycled at all.

Good to hear from you all above. Seems this forum is quiet or atleast we have all moved on to other hobby's....me, I am still enjoying my "theater" and will soon be picking up a new projector or new lightbulb and I will be sure to share that info when the time comes.

Now, come on spring, lets kill off winter and get on with some warm sunny weather!
post #366 of 366 Old 03-31-2014, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16

Don't get me wrong...the camera idea is very creative.  I'm just renovating my basement now and got my mini theater up and running.  Hopefully others keep it going as I've already gotten tons of great advice from this forum.

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page