Doug's "No Name" Theater/Gaming Room - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 379 Old 03-28-2014, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I hope everyone is doing well...I have been lurking the past several months. Really went through some trying times at work but all that is past me and I am in a much different place now.

I wanted to share something with all of you and that is that I found a great use for an IP camera I had laying around the house. I hooked it up and put it in my sump pit (which is located in the front wall cabinet on the left).

Now I can check on my sump pump anytime and anywhere via an app on my phone.

I am using a FOSCAM FI8910W camera for this.

I love it. I love being out of town and knowing that we are getting a lot of rain or a melt off of snow (we got a ton this year) and I can pull up my app on my phone or go to a web site on any computer...access the ip, log on and see a LIVE video streaming of this:

NOTE: This is a snapshot from live video. It looks much better live on my phone or browser on computer.
NOTE: This is an infrared night vision shot since my sump is in an inclosure (inside the front wall cabinet to the left)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 379 Old 03-28-2014, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 42

I could think of hundreds of things I'd rather watch on my cellphone than an image of my sump pump!!!  LOL

They have alarms for sump pumps.  I have the battery back up and alarm so I don't have to worry as much.

RBalwinski likes this.

Gear: Visio 70" M701d-A3R LED TV | Denon x2100w AVR | Sony BDPS5100 (blu ray) | SONY PS3 | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk RC65i (L/R rear Surround) | Polk RC80i (L/R Surround) | SVS PB-2000 (Subwoofer) | Harmony Smart Control (Remote)

My basement reno: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...l#post33708177
post #363 of 379 Old 03-28-2014, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 234
I like it! smile.gif
post #364 of 379 Old 03-29-2014, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 143
That is an excellent idea! I know all too well the stress of leaving the house and wondering how things are going in the pit. Very cool.

Glad to hear that you are in a different space. I think we all go through that at some point or another. I have been with the same company for 18+ years and doing the same job for almost 9. Very easy to get in a rut and find yourself in a bad space.

Thanks for the update.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #365 of 379 Old 03-30-2014, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^^^ Yeah, my last place got me to a point where I forgot what life was as I was so busy with work. Now, I am on a complete 180 path and love it. However, this weather is just killing me now! smile.gif

Anyway, on the sump pump cam, I know there are better setups with better notification controls and someday I will have such a setup but for now, this is really effective and convenient and works too!

The drain tile that feeds the pit really holds the water well when the pump fails as it has done before and at the worse time. So, checking it only when I know there has been a lot of rain or snow melt is all I need and its quite comforting being able to just randomly check on it and seeing the water or no water in the pit. I also can rotate the camera, turn off the night vision mode and see the status lights on my backup pump to see if the battery is ok or if it has cycled at all.

Good to hear from you all above. Seems this forum is quiet or atleast we have all moved on to other hobby's....me, I am still enjoying my "theater" and will soon be picking up a new projector or new lightbulb and I will be sure to share that info when the time comes.

Now, come on spring, lets kill off winter and get on with some warm sunny weather!
post #366 of 379 Old 03-31-2014, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 42

Don't get me wrong...the camera idea is very creative.  I'm just renovating my basement now and got my mini theater up and running.  Hopefully others keep it going as I've already gotten tons of great advice from this forum.

Gear: Visio 70" M701d-A3R LED TV | Denon x2100w AVR | Sony BDPS5100 (blu ray) | SONY PS3 | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk RC65i (L/R rear Surround) | Polk RC80i (L/R Surround) | SVS PB-2000 (Subwoofer) | Harmony Smart Control (Remote)

My basement reno: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...l#post33708177
post #367 of 379 Old 12-28-2015, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wow, its been a while...but I thought to share this...

Last Saturday of the opening weekend for Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens, we had an epic day of watching all 6 movies, complete with Star Wars themed food (my wife and pinterest out did themselves on this). The day was full of reminiscing about our Star Wars experience (I was 7 when I saw Star Wars: A New Hope, or Star Wars as it was titled back then)...I even brought out all my saved action figures for a little added surprise and my daughter rebuilt some of here Star Wars Lego sets as well. You can see that most held up well, but poor Luke was chewed up by my dog a long time ago, so he is pretty mangled!

We ended the marathon by seeing The Force Awakens at our local IMAX in 3D...what a fun day.

Here are some pics:

and...this is a Dark and Stormy...a perfect cocktail that fit our theme of the day!
post #368 of 379 Old 12-31-2015, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey buddy! That is awesome you could share those memories with your daughter! Yes it does look like Luke had a go around with some sand people and your wife did out do herself for sure. Hut Dogs HA!! Good to see you are still alive and kicking and enjoying your space.

Any updates to the theater lately?

Happy New Year!

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #369 of 379 Old 01-01-2016, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

RTROSE, Great to see you are still kicking around these parts of the interwebs!

As for updates to the basement/theater, none really. I am 98% complete with the entire basement. I want to finish it to 100% and then just let basic maintenance kick in. What I have yet to do is, find/build double door for my office, put up some sort of window treatment on my one window and custom finish an outlet face plate to the right of my screen. I should have just removed the outlet as its not used, and its in the middle of my wood panel...so I just need to pretty it up and keep if functional in case its ever used!

For maintenance, I think it may be time to get a new projector. I did get a new bulb recently, but to think I have a 720p projector from 2008, its kind of old technology. I would like to get 1080p and do not care for 3D either...I have other things to take care of but thats about the only thing needing to be done.

Other than that, we enjoy this space a lot! I have a lot to be thankful for finding this site so many years ago!

I hope you are doing well and still enjoying your space!
post #370 of 379 Old 01-01-2016, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Haha....yup I'm still around. Do far more lurking now than posting for sure but have had some time off of work so I have actually been able to catch up on my AVS buddies goings on and such. I'd agree with you on the PJ and sounds like the best upgrade to me. I have a 720p 42 inch TV and a 54 inch 1080p TV and can tell the difference between the two. Not a drastic night and day difference but I would guess that going even bigger it would be even more noticeable. What are you thinking in the way of PJ's (if you have even gotten that far)?

We still are enjoying our space for sure, still grin from ear to ear when I'm down there. As you know a theater is never truly finished but just in a constant albeit slow state of evolution. I still have some things I want to do, I just need to get off my rear and do it like acoustic panels. I have the 703, just need to make the boxes. A few other tweaks here and there (maybe more subs way down the line) but for the most part very happy with how everything turned out.

Enjoy the New Year and all the best to your and yours.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #371 of 379 Old 01-01-2016, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^^^ I have taken a peak to see what projectors are hot right now. Naturally, I looked at the Panasonic AR-100U and PT-AE8000 only because I have had such a good run with my PT-AX200U, but it seems that things have changed for Panasonic and projectors so I am unsure what I would pick if I was buying right now.

So, I really havent given it any serious thought although it seems like a whole new onset of research would be in order when I do decide it is time and I will be right back here when it happens
post #372 of 379 Old 01-01-2016, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
You theatre looks fantastic.

Great job. I really enjoyed the trim/wood working.

Did I miss something about the soffits? Any particular reason aside from looks that you put them in?
post #373 of 379 Old 01-02-2016, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxtale View Post
You theatre looks fantastic.

Great job. I really enjoyed the trim/wood working.

Did I miss something about the soffits? Any particular reason aside from looks that you put them in?
Thanks Bronxtale. I put the soffits in purely for aesthetics because I had a small chase of HVAC running on the right middle part of the ceiling...I am very picky about symmetry and clean lines so when I had to deal with that trunk, I thought to box in the entire ceiling as a symmetrical soffit run and from viewing other builds, I got the inspiration to do up lighting as well in the crown molding. Plus this gave me capability to house the projector cleanly within the soffit for an even cleaner looking room...especially with my ceiling being so low, I did not want to hang the projector from the ceiling exposed in the center of the room.
post #374 of 379 Old 01-02-2016, 06:01 AM

Thanks for the reply. I figured it was for aesthetics but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

See that's my issue. I have an I-Beam cutting across the room so that's going to be a bulk out. Beside it is some duct work that can not be moved because they are return airs. I was planning to hang the projector off the I-Beam but my concern was it was going to hang a little lower than I liked. At that distance it would be 10feet so I can't imagine going any closer to hide it sort of speak.

As for clean lines, I'm the same and having some trouble laying it all out. You used Sketchup, if I'm correct, to draw up initial plan, did it help?
post #375 of 379 Old 01-02-2016, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I figured it was for aesthetics but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

See that's my issue. I have an I-Beam cutting across the room so that's going to be a bulk out. Beside it is some duct work that can not be moved because they are return airs. I was planning to hang the projector off the I-Beam but my concern was it was going to hang a little lower than I liked. At that distance it would be 10feet so I can't imagine going any closer to hide it sort of speak.

As for clean lines, I'm the same and having some trouble laying it all out. You used Sketchup, if I'm correct, to draw up initial plan, did it help?
If that I-Beam is running parallel to what would be your screen wall and is far enough away, you could build a wider soffit for that part but in the middle make a pocket just for your projector...but if I understood your description above, it looks like that may bring your projector too close. If that is a possible place for your projector, then using the projector calculators on various web sites on various projectors may help give you an idea of what can be used and at what distances/image sizes.

Yes, I used Sketchup and for me, it was a great visualization tool that helped me plan my layout. As you can see from my earlier posts, I had started with one vision but that morphed into the last Sketchup renditions thats finally became my room. I have used Sketchup for almost my entire basement build out and for me it helped tremendously. What I also got out of it was a sense of proper proportions for what I was building in the (limited) space I had. I recommend it and the learning curve, especially with all the YouTube video, is very short.

Good luck...do you have a build thread yet?
post #376 of 379 Old 01-02-2016, 12:13 PM

The I-Beam runs parellel to the length of the room which is 25 feet.

On either side of the I-Beam runs the ever fantastic duct work.

You have any links to the short videos to learn SketchUp?

I have a build thread started.
post #377 of 379 Old 01-02-2016, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The I-Beam runs parellel to the length of the room which is 25 feet.

On either side of the I-Beam runs the ever fantastic duct work.

You have any links to the short videos to learn SketchUp?

I have a build thread started.
I do not have any specific links...I would just search using google for Sketchup how to or tutorials...go with the basic tutorials for starters and you will be up and running it in no time.
post #378 of 379 Old 01-07-2016, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 5
What a great thread - I just read the whole thing!

To Hell with Georgia...
post #379 of 379 Old 01-07-2016, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
What a great thread - I just read the whole thing!
Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page