post #181 of 366 Old 02-26-2011, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezug View Post

I am keeping this thread alive as the wheels are in motion to do any one of the following:

1. start (and finish) the bathroom
2. complete the last closet
3. put in the walkup bar
4. upgrade my speakers and receiver

I am just not sure which one is going to get priority but in the coming weeks, one of those items will be taken care of.

Wow talk about resurrecting the dead here. The last post on this baby was 4/26/10...........!!!

I vote start at the bottom and work your way up. Speakers/Receiver first then the bar!! What receiver are you using and what are you thinking about upgrading too? Same question for speakers??

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 366 Old 02-26-2011, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

Wow talk about resurrecting the dead here. The last post on this baby was 4/26/10...........!!!

I vote start at the bottom and work your way up. Speakers/Receiver first then the bar!! What receiver are you using and what are you thinking about upgrading too? Same question for speakers??

And look who that 4/26/10 post was for too! Haha...its just me and you Steve in these parts..haha.

I am considering the Pioneer 919 or 1019....as I think these will fit my needs nicely and since they are older models, I should be able to score a decent deal. I currently have a Sony STR-DE985 (since 2004) and its working fine, but I am limited sometimes in handling certain bandwidths on some DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD as the audio drops out and I have to change some settings in my blu-ray from Bitstream to PCM and it just gets to be a pain anymore

As for the speakers, I currently have some Polk satellite speakers with a Polk PSW250 sub. They sound good, but I think I am due for an upgrade here and am thinking to do some bookshelf speakers since my cabinets will limit the size of my front speakers. I started looking at some Infinity's Primus series per recommendation by someone on this forum.

I may go to a local (or not so local) Best Buy Magnolia store to see what they have. But gas by me just jumped to 3.40! Which is killing me to just drive all over the place looking for something I might not buy.

My budget is around 1,000.00 if I am looking to upgrade my receiver and speakers.
post #183 of 366 Old 02-26-2011, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

$3.46 here and it sucks!

You and I will single handidly keep this baby rollin

post #184 of 366 Old 02-27-2011, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Doug / Iusteve;
OK - I'll add a shoulder to keep pushing this thread uphill for another roll.

Doug:
You may also want to consider one of the recent Marantz models (7002 or 8003). These were being closed out about 1 yr ago, I'll bet you could find a nice fresh 7002 for <500.00 - I love mine.

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #185 of 366 Old 02-27-2011, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Doug / Iusteve;

Doug:
You may also want to consider one of the recent Marantz models (7002 or 8003). These were being closed out about 1 yr ago, I'll bet you could find a nice fresh 7002 for <500.00 - I love mine.

If we are suggesting I would like to throw Denon into the mix. I own the avr-988 and love it. I am considering an upgrade ONLY because it is limited on hdmi inputs. I guarantee last years models to be at a great price currently.....just sayin.

post #186 of 366 Old 02-27-2011, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

If we are suggesting I would like to throw Denon into the mix. I own the avr-988 and love it. I am considering an upgrade ONLY because it is limited on hdmi inputs. I guarantee last years models to be at a great price currently.....just sayin.

Craig...I have never looked at Marantz...they might be a little higher than what I want to spend, but damn, those models look awesome and have so many inputs/outputs.

Steve...That 988 looks sweet too.

I am not set on the Pio, for whatever reason, my research lead me to the Pioneer 919 or 1019 for the options and price, plus I keep reading how well they sound....has any of your research lead you away from Pioneer (or did you just find yourself liking the Marantz (Craig) and Denon (Steve) based on your own research)?
post #187 of 366 Old 02-27-2011, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Craig...I have never looked at Marantz...they might be a little higher than what I want to spend, but damn, those models look awesome and have so many inputs/outputs.

I am not set on the Pio, for whatever reason, my research lead me to the Pioneer 919 or 1019 for the options and price, plus I keep reading how well they sound....has any of your research lead you away from Pioneer (or did you just find yourself liking the Marantz (Craig) and Denon (Steve) based on your own research)?

Originally when I was shopping I narrowed my searches down to Denon and Pioneer (though I dont recall the model # at the time) and for whatever reason, I think price and features I chose Denon. I plan to upgrade to the Denon avr-4310 though as its a newer model (but still last years) and had more hdmi inputs which I really need.

post #188 of 366 Old 02-27-2011, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Doug / Iusteve;

Doug:

I'm here as well. I can lend a shoulder, back, or maybe even a weak mind to help forge forward.

I too vote for an audio upgrade, why not, that would be the most fun thing to start on.

I'm with you on the gas thing $3.44 here and when your main vehicle gets about 18mpg (SUV) it is even worse. To think when it was time to upgrade our vehicle I wanted a Mini, the wife wanted an Acadia. Guess who won? Of course it doesn't help that my oldest at 15 is 6' 5" and my youngest is at 13 is on his way as well, and we end up being the one to drive when it comes to extended family outings, a Mini just was not practical.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #189 of 366 Old 02-28-2011, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

Doug,

I had a friend that always liked Marantz, and then I saw someone here (don't remember who) that was running a Marantz/Klipsch combo that he really liked. He felt the slightly harsher "edge" of the Klipsch horns are offset by the "alledged" warmer nature of the marantz. All of this could be imagined? But I do know that when I went shopping I found a good deals on the following:

A lightly used demo Marantz 7002 (2 years ago $700),

A pair of new/old-stock Klipsch RF35s for mains (~$500).

I then rounded out the rest of my speakers with Klipsch center and surrounds, and SVS Subs. These are all playing together VERY well for my needs.

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #190 of 366 Old 02-28-2011, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well I scored a used Pioneer VSX-919AH-K for what I feel is a decent price. I dont really want to invest in 3D nor nead upconversion on any composit connections. I may regret not having the extra HDMI inputs but I think I will be fine and can always opt for component inputs if necessary.

It should arrive by Saturday! I am curious if this will make my current speakers sound alot better since I can do the acoustic calibration and the Pio is/should be much better sounding than my Sony.
post #191 of 366 Old 02-28-2011, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I would think that you would notice a difference in both sound quality and sound perception as well. The Pioneer should do better than the Sony and the room calibration will help you as well.

Good luck and nice score on the Pioneer.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #192 of 366 Old 03-05-2011, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post
I would think that you would notice a difference in both sound quality and sound perception as well. The Pioneer should do better than the Sony and the room calibration will help you as well.

Good luck and nice score on the Pioneer.

Regards,

RTROSE
I sure hope so too...I got the tracking number from the eBay seller...it says I should expect this today...for the past 3 days, I have been anxiously awaiting my new toy, like a kid awaiting Christmas. I read and reread the manual, MCACC thread and 1019 thread, noting all the tips and tweaks!
but nothing arrived! What a let down...this means that it could arrive on Monday or any day next week for that matter...this means I wont have any time to play with my new toy until, at the very least, next Sunday !!!

What a bummer.
post #193 of 366 Old 03-16-2011, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, the new (used) receiver arrived, as listed, and works perfectly well. I did have an issue where it shut off upon a very loud moment in a movie, but after research and an email to Pioneer, it turned out I had a bad connections to one of my speakers. After a check on all my banana plugs...retest...all works again as good as new.

So, now that I have had a chance to set up this baby and run MCACC, my little Polk Satellites and Powered sub sound really nice in my room.

However, before I knew what was happening, I was researching for an upgrade in speakers too...as I always felt the sound struggled (esp the center channel)...so I stumbled upon Infinity Primus series (a very entry level hi-end speaker that gets good review here)...so off to ebay I went hunting for some speakers...but couldnt really find anything, so before I knew it...I am ordering fronts and rears from a place in WA and a Center from a place in NY and here I am sitting in the midwest awaiting the arrivals of some new speakers!!!

Hopefully this weekend, I will find some time to set it all up and immerse myself into bliss!
post #194 of 366 Old 03-16-2011, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Its funny how upgraditis hits us all at once. I have been contemplating an upgrade to my avr due to the need for more hdmi connections and upon research just ordered a pair of bipole/dipole surrounds and may order a second pair. I also now plan upgrading my projector and my seats.....lol. I also have considered a newer BDP and have already purchased the new xbox lol where does out end?

post #195 of 366 Old 03-16-2011, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I have not even purchased equipment for my theater yet and have suffered upgradeitis twice! Terrible, terrible condition for sure. Glad to hear that the receiver worked out well, can be very scary waiting on a big ticket item to arrive. Just like an expectant father.

Steve,

Finish the second theater first before upgrading! ;-)

Regards,

RTROSE

post #196 of 366 Old 03-16-2011, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post
Steve,

Finish the second theater first before upgrading! ;-)

Regards,

RTROSE

I wish I could however I find myself spending more time researching new equipment for the new theater to replace the stuff I purchased for the first theater. For some reason I find myself wanting/starting to replace everything with something newer.......

post #197 of 366 Old 03-16-2011, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^^^ You guys crack me up...get to finishing your theater!!!

However, I still have a bathroom, bar area, and closet and stairs to finish and then my basement is done! (well, whatever done means) haha

Steve, are you planning for 7.1, 9.1 or 11.1???
post #198 of 366 Old 03-16-2011, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
^^^^ You guys crack me up...get to finishing your theater!!!

However, I still have a bathroom, bar area, and closet and stairs to finish and then my basement is done! (well, whatever done means) haha

Steve, are you planning for 7.1, 9.1 or 11.1???
At this point 23.4 is where I am headed!!

post #199 of 366 Old 03-17-2011, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Steve, just 23.4?

Ok, so I am working remote today as my son has an orchestra concert and I dont want to miss it and I have 3 orders from 3 separate places all over the map (1 order for my speakers, 1 order for my center speaker, 1 order for a cable). I ordered them on 3 different days.

I just checked the status on all of the trackings and they are all due to arrive today! Woohoo! Gotta love that.
post #200 of 366 Old 03-17-2011, 09:50 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I thought it would be appropriate to show a gaming pic since the title of my thread implied the use of my room would include gaming.

Although, I still have yet to settle down and play a good first person shooter such as Call of Duty.

I still have to master the lighting settings on my camera.

The couches are in game mode Normally they are positioned differently for Movie mode.

one question. do you play any games standing up? if so, do you block the screen. we are about to start finishing our bonus room and want to do a screen about the size of yours, but i am concerned we may not be able to play any stand-up games on our yet to be purchased 360 w/kinect...
post #201 of 366 Old 03-17-2011, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1979 View Post

one question. do you play any games standing up? if so, do you block the screen. we are about to start finishing our bonus room and want to do a screen about the size of yours, but i am concerned we may not be able to play any stand-up games on our yet to be purchased 360 w/kinect...

If you look at my other pics, you will see that the project is in a soffit in the middle of the room. That puts the project about 7' off the ground and about 16' from the screen.

When we do stand up for Wii games, adults will naturally stand under the projector and the kids a little close. With the kids being shorter, of course they can get a little close to the screen.

For the most part, we do not block the image. Sometimes a raised hand or someones head will create a shadow onto the screen but by all means it does not become an issue for game play.

Unless you are projecting from a lower angle or really far behind from where ppl will be standing, you should have no problem.
post #202 of 366 Old 03-17-2011, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Steve, just 23.4?

Ok, so I am working remote today as my son has an orchestra concert and I dont want to miss it and I have 3 orders from 3 separate places all over the map (1 order for my speakers, 1 order for my center speaker, 1 order for a cable). I ordered them on 3 different days.

I just checked the status on all of the trackings and they are all due to arrive today! Woohoo! Gotta love that.

Will be eagerly awaiting picks of the new baby's to arrive.

Good luck.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #203 of 366 Old 03-17-2011, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #204 of 366 Old 03-17-2011, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Very nice. Christmas is early (or is it late?) this year. Enjoy you new "babies".

Regards,

RTROSE

post #205 of 366 Old 03-17-2011, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks RT...lets say its late...very late x2 or x3.
post #206 of 366 Old 03-17-2011, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

And the babies had babies.

One order came from oneCall, which was packaged very nicely in some larger boxes

The center, from bh photo, was just the infinity box, but seemed capable of being a shipping box as it had some absorber foam inside.

post #207 of 366 Old 03-17-2011, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Now get to work, hook them up and give em a listen and report back.

That's the fun part ya know!

Regards,

RTROSE

post #208 of 366 Old 03-20-2011, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sorry little guys..time to move you out of the theater...you have held up well. I never thought you couldnt handle the tasks, its just time for the bigger fellas to take over. You served well, and I will have you hooked up in no time in another room.

post #209 of 366 Old 03-20-2011, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^^ by the way...the Infinity's sound awesome. Such a fuller sound, warmer, not so harsh. The highs and mids are handled well and so far my Polk PSW250 is holding up well in the SW range.

All in all, a worthy upgrade.
post #210 of 366 Old 03-20-2011, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow,

I did not realize there was such a size difference between what you had, and what you just got. Will they fit in your enclosure? I'm guessing they will as you probably took that into account when you purchased them.

Glad your enjoying your new babies.

Regards,

RTROSE

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page