In goes the sheetrock...
Bring on the red paint!
Carpet padding is down and ready for carpet...
Coming down the steps...
Things I am glad I did:
- Really glad I added a bookcase. That was my brother's suggestion at the last minute. That wall is a false wall because of the water cutoff valve that is behind the football poster behind the TV. I just framed around the valve and left enough space to get to it. Since the space behind the wall was going to be wasted anyway, we added a bookshelf to the other side. Now I couldn't imagine the look without it.
- Framed out the soffits for a trey ceiling. Started to do a drop tile ceiling, but was afraid it would leave the ceiling height too low and make the room feel really small and tight. The raised ceiling helps alleviate some of that. From a maintenance standpoint, if I was going to be in this house 20-30 years, I would have done tile in case of pipe leaks, wiring problems, etc. But based on our expectations, the nicer look was worth taking the expectations.
- Really, really glad I added 2 ceiling fans. That was a last minute decision too, but couldn't imagine not having them. It helps to keep the air stirred up in the basement. I would have gone back and added somehow down the road if I hadn't done now. Will definitely do that again on the next one.
- I like the accent lighting on the walls. Would have probably gotten different sconces if I had to do over again. I am still in the process of upgrading my art work for the walls. Several of the pieces I have are framed posters I saved from my college days. LOL!
Things I would do different:
- The waynescoating on the bottom has not worked out. I love the look, but I used the pre-finished pieces and there is no way to hide the seams in between pieces. As the humidity changes the pieces expand and shrink and leaves the seams really ugly looking. I have tried to touch up with white shoe polish, but the results are average at best. I wanted to give the bottom half of the wall some texture, but would probably use the unfinished kind and paint it. Hopefully that would make the seams less noticeable.
- May have gone with two less can lights in the main section.
- Didn't run my surround sound wire wisely before sheetrocking. I ran enough wire I could put the TV on either end of the room. But where I wound up with it, I didn't have my surround speakers mounted far enough back. So I wound up having to run some wire underneath the baseboard and use some cheap speaker stands to get two speakers right behind the couch. I am using a Yamaha 5730 home theater in a box that I got free through a store promotion when I got the TV, so not a big deal for now.
Very pleased with the end result. We contracted out the sheetrock and carpet and did the rest ourselves. I think that was money well spent, as I have no desire to learn how to do either of those. Well worth the money, tears and sweat!