N.C. State Wolfpack Wolves Den - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 05-06-2008, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, after years of surfing the forums here, finally got around to finishing my basement room. I really wished the room was a little wider, but this is our first home, so it was a good practice run to plan for the next house. Thanks to all who helped me! I've actually been done with the room for a couple of years now, just finally getting around to posting some pics.

I wanted a room that could be multi-purpose to have company over. We are not big movie buffs. I watch a lot of sports, and my wife doesn't watch a lot of TV, so I wanted to put some other things in the basement for her to entertain herself while I was down there. But I still get plenty of man time in the cave!

Enough with the talk, here are some pics....

Before, what a MESS!!!!!

The brain trust gets together to start the plan....... (thanks to my dad and big bro, I would have been lost without them!)

Framing goes up.

Finishing up the wiring and insulation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-06-2008, 08:30 PM

Sounds like a good theme and a nice space.

GO HOKIES!!!
post #3 of 13 Old 05-06-2008, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

In goes the sheetrock...

Bring on the red paint!

Carpet padding is down and ready for carpet...

Coming down the steps...

Finished product....

Things I am glad I did:
- Really glad I added a bookcase. That was my brother's suggestion at the last minute. That wall is a false wall because of the water cutoff valve that is behind the football poster behind the TV. I just framed around the valve and left enough space to get to it. Since the space behind the wall was going to be wasted anyway, we added a bookshelf to the other side. Now I couldn't imagine the look without it.

- Framed out the soffits for a trey ceiling. Started to do a drop tile ceiling, but was afraid it would leave the ceiling height too low and make the room feel really small and tight. The raised ceiling helps alleviate some of that. From a maintenance standpoint, if I was going to be in this house 20-30 years, I would have done tile in case of pipe leaks, wiring problems, etc. But based on our expectations, the nicer look was worth taking the expectations.

- Really, really glad I added 2 ceiling fans. That was a last minute decision too, but couldn't imagine not having them. It helps to keep the air stirred up in the basement. I would have gone back and added somehow down the road if I hadn't done now. Will definitely do that again on the next one.

- I like the accent lighting on the walls. Would have probably gotten different sconces if I had to do over again. I am still in the process of upgrading my art work for the walls. Several of the pieces I have are framed posters I saved from my college days. LOL!

Things I would do different:
- The waynescoating on the bottom has not worked out. I love the look, but I used the pre-finished pieces and there is no way to hide the seams in between pieces. As the humidity changes the pieces expand and shrink and leaves the seams really ugly looking. I have tried to touch up with white shoe polish, but the results are average at best. I wanted to give the bottom half of the wall some texture, but would probably use the unfinished kind and paint it. Hopefully that would make the seams less noticeable.

- May have gone with two less can lights in the main section.

- Didn't run my surround sound wire wisely before sheetrocking. I ran enough wire I could put the TV on either end of the room. But where I wound up with it, I didn't have my surround speakers mounted far enough back. So I wound up having to run some wire underneath the baseboard and use some cheap speaker stands to get two speakers right behind the couch. I am using a Yamaha 5730 home theater in a box that I got free through a store promotion when I got the TV, so not a big deal for now.

Very pleased with the end result. We contracted out the sheetrock and carpet and did the rest ourselves. I think that was money well spent, as I have no desire to learn how to do either of those. Well worth the money, tears and sweat!
post #4 of 13 Old 05-07-2008, 07:19 PM

Looks great. I love the red and white color scheme. How come you didn't center the tvon the wall? Because of the water pipe?
post #5 of 13 Old 05-09-2008, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Very nice. You should go with a projector and drop down screen next. I have a projector and fixed screen in my 'wolves den' and it's sweet.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-10-2008, 09:08 AM

AWESOME!

Go Pack!!!

"Every man is a volume if you know how to read him. - William Ellery Channing
post #7 of 13 Old 05-10-2008, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I really love it!
post #8 of 13 Old 05-15-2008, 09:05 AM

just change the scheme to "CAROLINA BLUE" with a few "23" jerseys and that room will be perfect...seriously that is an excellent conversion. did you do it yourself?
post #9 of 13 Old 05-17-2008, 08:31 PM

I'm an NCSU student, and I love it! You'll probably appreciate having pics of the build.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-21-2008, 01:47 PM

nice work and good job

My Basement Project thread Spray Foam Insulation FTS!!
post #11 of 13 Old 12-21-2008, 10:29 PM

Nice job!

Can you go into detail on how you did the bookshelf? I've got a similiar space and I'm not really sure on how to fill it.
post #12 of 13 Old 12-22-2008, 11:24 AM

Liked: 11
I grew up a few minutes from crabtree mall, and I was a big wolfpack fan. Even got to deliver a pizza to Jimmy V when in High school.

Great job, room looks amazing.
post #13 of 13 Old 01-14-2010, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

from one wolfpack fan to another - great looking room!!!

I couldn't do those color schemes in my HT, but in the bar area I have a Carolina Hurricanes jersey, Koren Robinson Seahawks jersey and will be putting up a Rivers SD jersey and a pure NC State jersey
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page