50' Run of Composite and Component Video OK? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-03-2000, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I'm doing some construction for my home theatre and am curious to hear if a 50' run of composite video and a 50' run of component video (to carry DVD and HDTV signals) will have any significant signal loss. I've heard that such a long run of s-video will have significant signal loss (I'm not going to be running s-video) but I don't know about composite/component cable.

Also, if anyone has suggestions of companys that sell reasonably priced cable (e.g., quad shield RG6?) that they sell in custom lengths with custom connectors I'd love to hear about them. I need RCA connectors on one end and BNC connectors on the other end and would prefer the cables be custom made with these connectors vs. having to use RCA-to-BNC connectors.

Thanks in advance for any info you provide!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-09-2000, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Whaid: I got a quote from Better Cables and the price was OUTRAGEOUS. How about $179.95 for a 50' RG-6 composite video cable and $329.95 for a 50' RG-6 component video (3 cables) run? I can buy a roll of 100' RG-6 quad shield cable from Radio Shack for $40 and add my own connectors. I highly doubt Better Cables will look THAT much better than this. That's my opinion though...
post #3 of 3 Old 02-09-2000, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As with anything in life, once you get past a certain point, the upgrades go up dramatically in cost and the quality goes up incrementally. I've personally found that BetterCables offers the best value for the money. There may be cheaper/less expensive cables and there may be more expensive/esoteric cables. Its your choice, but with a 50' run, I'd check to make sure that Radio Shack cable is up to snuff. With the Belden/Canare cable that BetterCables offers -- you won't have to worry. Just an opinion from a very satisfied customer http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Wayne
Closed Thread General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page