Opinions on DD and GG for this room in new construction - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-20-2008, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I am having a new home built by Toll Bros am I am trying to think ahead about the game/HT room. Here is the house plan:

http://www.tollbrothers.com/homesear...loorplan=15950

The house will be a "tuck under" where the garage floor will be a level below the main floor of the house. The room above the garage will be finished but on the same level as the main floor and is where I will be adding my HT system. The room has 3 exterior walls and the 4th is in direct connection to the house and very close to the kitchen area.

Now, I am not even sure if I can pull this off since Toll is not a "custom" builder BUT, would double drywalling and using Green Glue be a wise move for this room given it's location and 3 exterior walls? I watch a lot of concert DVD's and want to feel like I am there which means it's pretty loud!!

Planning ahead I am looking to upgrade my PT AX200u to the Epson 1080UB.

Thanks.

JK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-21-2008, 09:19 AM
Old

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Congrats on the new home purchase.

My sister is also having a Toll Bro home built, different model, but same concept, but with the room being over a 3 car garage.

I don't think Toll will do the GG, etc, but that is certainly something you can add after. Or perhaps go in there while the DW guys are doing their thing and ask them if they will do it for a few extra $$ on the side. they may be willing...

but you should consider doing the entire room with DD and GG, as sound may go through the walls that are on the exterior sides and up into the ceiling joist?

perhaps getting them to allow you to go in there after hours and add insulation between the interior walls and ceiling joist as well...
Old
post #3 of 3 Old 08-21-2008, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post

I am having a new home built by Toll Bros am I am trying to think ahead about the game/HT room. Here is the house plan:

http://www.tollbrothers.com/homesear...loorplan=15950

The house will be a "tuck under" where the garage floor will be a level below the main floor of the house. The room above the garage will be finished but on the same level as the main floor and is where I will be adding my HT system. The room has 3 exterior walls and the 4th is in direct connection to the house and very close to the kitchen area.

Now, I am not even sure if I can pull this off since Toll is not a "custom" builder BUT, would double drywalling and using Green Glue be a wise move for this room given it's location and 3 exterior walls? I watch a lot of concert DVD's and want to feel like I am there which means it's pretty loud!!

Planning ahead I am looking to upgrade my PT AX200u to the Epson 1080UB.

Thanks.

JK

When our house was being built a few years ago, I made sure to get friendly with the site supervisor. I had other subcontractors come in with his knowledge and approval and it wasn't a problem. He's the guy you want to go to, and (just a suggestion), don't tell him what you want to do upfront (ie double drywall), rather present the issue to him and ask for his expertise in coming up with a solution. If he doesn't offer a solution, then you can nudge him towards your ideas.
Who knows, maybe the framers will "accidentally" build a second wall 6 inches inside the room on the wall that's adjacent to the kitchen and your problem will be solved.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page