Egyptian Tomb Home Theater Photos - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 64 Old 08-21-2008, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi All,
I have been working on this for about a 1 1/2 years on and off. I tried to be cost effective as well as wanted things to look good. It is a general purpose Home theater for my family. Seating is a giant "U" shaped couch so my kids can be close during family time and for playing games on XBOX 360. The Audio Rack has a pocket door on the rear that is accessed from the room behind the theater. The Drapes that are in front of the Patio door have magnetic Black Out Drapes behind them.
As of right now the equipment is a Panasonic AE-2000 Projector, Sony STR-DG920 Receiver, Helios HVD-2085, XBOX 360, Definitive Mythos 1 Front, Mythos 2 Rear Surround, Mythos 2 Rear Surround Back and Mythos 3 Center Channel, Elemental Designs A2-300 Sub. I am building my new HTPC this Friday. I am posting about this in the Official Asus PQ5-EM thread. The other purchase will be a Sony BDP-S550 as soon as it is released.

Hope you guys enjoy the Photos some are better than others it was hard with the lighting and some are blurry
( Sorry).....

Egyptian Tomb Home Theater!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please visit my Web Page:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 Old 08-21-2008, 02:40 PM

Liked: 10
Looks great. Love the couch.

Doug's Home Theater
post #3 of 64 Old 08-21-2008, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djn312 View Post

Looks great. Love the couch.

Doug's Home Theater

Thanks, I looked at your photos. Very nice job. I love the bar!

post #4 of 64 Old 08-21-2008, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
thats really nice. seems like the walls would be super reflective during the movie. does it seem to cause any problems washing out the screen image?

Xbox360 / PS3 / Failed HDM Supporter
I have no idea what you are referring to
Gamertag: antwon412
(A/V)Ignorance is Bliss -------- sweet, cheap bliss
post #5 of 64 Old 08-21-2008, 03:43 PM

Very cool!

How did you make the hieroglyph "panels?" They have a kind of stone look to them.
post #6 of 64 Old 08-21-2008, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by antwon412 View Post

thats really nice. seems like the walls would be super reflective during the movie. does it seem to cause any problems washing out the screen image?

The panels actually have an almost flat finish to them, almost like stone. I have zero reflection.
I think the halogen lights are making it look shiny. I had a hard time getting the photos. If I dimmed the lights the pictures showed no detail and the walls looked flat. With the lights up the colors are a little off , but the detail is there.

post #7 of 64 Old 08-21-2008, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamprey View Post

Very cool!

How did you make the hieroglyph "panels?" They have a kind of stone look to them.

I met an Artist at a trade show in January. He makes vacuum formed ABS plastic panels. That was his first time showing them. The panels were very reasonably priced. The whole room cost about $1100.

post #8 of 64 Old 08-21-2008, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Wow...and you have been keeping this secret for a year and a half? Nice work!

Randy

post #9 of 64 Old 08-21-2008, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Great theme! Very unique...

- Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
post #10 of 64 Old 08-21-2008, 05:28 PM

Liked: 17
Wow...very nice job!

I've been surfing theatres for years and has never seen anything like this. Well done!

"Its never easy"

post #11 of 64 Old 08-21-2008, 05:34 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 612
sweet!

PROJECTS:

post #12 of 64 Old 08-21-2008, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I love the theme! Great work and thanks for sharing all the pics.

post #13 of 64 Old 08-21-2008, 07:30 PM

Very cool!
post #14 of 64 Old 08-21-2008, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Simply beautiful! I love the wall treatments and that fact that all the wall panels cost you so little. The integrated projector/equipment wall is great also. Nice dual mummy statue entrance as well.

Bravo!

Curious, but does a 16:9 image completely fill the screen from top to bottom?

Victor

Free cake! Free cake!
- Mordecai and Rigby

Think small, project big!

post #15 of 64 Old 08-21-2008, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks really nice, but considering the uniqueness of the theme, what made you go with that. Nothing wrong with it, I am just curious how you came up with an egyptian theme...I think it looks cool as hell

post #16 of 64 Old 08-21-2008, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor-eyd View Post

Simply beautiful! I love the wall treatments and that fact that all the wall panels cost you so little. The integrated projector/equipment wall is great also. Nice dual mummy statue entrance as well.

Bravo!

Curious, but does a 16:9 image completely fill the screen from top to bottom?

Victor

16:9 fits perfectly. I have some photos I will post.

post #17 of 64 Old 08-21-2008, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smakovits View Post

Looks really nice, but considering the uniqueness of the theme, what made you go with that. Nothing wrong with it, I am just curious how you came up with an egyptian theme...I think it looks cool as hell

I was in a furniture store and saw the Chests and other large Egyptian decor. Then I thought it would be different to do the Egyptian Tomb Theme. I went through many design ideas for the walls, Styrofoam, painted murals, etc.. and then happened to come across these panels as they were debuting at a trade show.

post #18 of 64 Old 08-21-2008, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomnusss View Post

16:9 fits perfectly. I have some photos I will post.

This was an early test of distance and screen size. This was days before I started the theater.

post #19 of 64 Old 08-21-2008, 11:25 PM

Looks very nice and original

The couch looks a bit out of place though, it doesn't really fit the Egyptian theme (but I guess it's hard to find an Egyptian themed U-shaped couch :P )
post #20 of 64 Old 08-22-2008, 03:07 AM

Quote:

I met an Artist at a trade show in January. He makes vacuum formed ABS plastic panels. That was his first time showing them. The panels were very reasonably priced. The whole room cost about $1100.

Holy Sh...t! That looks like a set from the "Mummy" movies.

$64M question - do the heiroglyphs actually translate to something?

Building homebrew computers since 1978
post #21 of 64 Old 08-22-2008, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Oops, When I mentioned the price on the panels I forgot about the deposit. Total price for the panels were $1662.50

post #22 of 64 Old 08-22-2008, 06:29 AM

Cool as hell. Great setup, and very unique. Ballsy and it works.

post #23 of 64 Old 08-22-2008, 09:00 AM
Old

Wow, that looks great! do you have pics of the construction work, etc?

Old

My Build Here:
post #24 of 64 Old 08-22-2008, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Speechless here....

I'd also be curious if the panels translate to anything?
post #25 of 64 Old 08-22-2008, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Fantastic! Great job--and what a killer deal on the wall panels. It is truly stunning.

Did you do any acoustical treatment?

That screen is massive, eh?! What's your throw-distance on that?

creative>energy

post #26 of 64 Old 08-23-2008, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Super cool! Excellent attention to detail in your theme!
$1100 for the panels? Wow! Sounds like a killer deal.

So how much did the entire room cost? (not including equipment)

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --
post #27 of 64 Old 08-24-2008, 07:08 AM

thats one of the most original rooms ive seen on this site. What size screen is that? And I love the couch how big is it and what did it cost? What type of projector do you run?
Great room, very creative
post #28 of 64 Old 08-24-2008, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

Quote:

Oops, When I mentioned the price on the panels I forgot about the deposit. Total price for the panels were $1662.50

still, at 1662.5 for the whole room, it's still not bad at all!!!!!

it IS one of the coolest theme HT in here!!! really nice job!!!!

btw, what size is your screen?? and how far away is it?? 'cos it seems like you are using the whole white section at 16:9, which is pretty much from ceiling to floor! is it still very comfortable looking at or play game on it??

~ Gary

)

post #29 of 64 Old 08-24-2008, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great comments..

The total price for the Theater minus the equipment was about $8000.
That includes the carpet $1500,couch $2500,tables, lighting, ceiling fan, ac duct work(This room was added on before I bought the house and had no AC), theater wiring (Speaker, Cat6, coax, etc..), electric outlets and wire, Pocket doors, drywall, wood, paint, glue, fabric, drapes & curtains, Formica, hardware, insulation - sound proofing and wall panels $1662.50.
The whole rear wall was built and now divides a separate room behind it. The Audio Rack has a pocket door on the rear that is accessed from the room behind the theater.
The Drapes that are in front of the Patio door have magnetic Black Out Drapes behind them.
Also not easily seen in the photos are two Formica boxes I built that are placed on either sides of the couch. They run the length of the couch side and act as a table for drinks or whatever. they make the couch fit exactly wall to wall.
My labor is what kept the cost down.
Except for the carpet and a few other things, most of the labor was me and my friend.

This does not include any decorations. All Egyptian decorations including the two sarcophagus at the entrance was about $1650. The two Egyptian columns that the rear back speakers stand on are beautifully detailed but cannot be seen in the photos.

The screen size is a about 7' 6" X 13' 1" give or take a couple inches. it is painted with Ultra White Flat wall paint.
The projector sits about 19' - 20' back.
A Hidef picture at this size and distance is incredible.
Any XBOX 360 driving game is insane. The whole room seems to spin along with the car during a crash.

As of right now the equipment is a Panasonic AE-2000 Projector, Sony STR-DG920 Receiver, Helios HVD-2085, XBOX 360, Definitive Mythos 1 Front, Mythos 2 Rear Surround, Mythos 2 Rear Surround Back and Mythos 3 Center Channel, Elemental Designs A2-300 Sub. I just finished building a new HTPC. I am posting about this in the Official Asus PQ5-EM thread (Having some problems). The other purchase will be a Sony BDP-S550 as soon as it is released.

As far as sound proofing, since this room was built on to the house it has 3 concrete block walls around it with thick hard foam insulation. The remaining back wall is filled with the same type of hard foam insulation the whole thickness of the wall.

One last thing. I don't know what or if the symbols mean anything. I will ask the artist when I speak with him.

If anyone has any more questions, I will be pleased to answer.
Thanks for the great comments again.

post #30 of 64 Old 08-25-2008, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't know what or if the symbols mean anything.

I can read heiroglyphs. It says over and over...

"This theater kicks a$&!"

Free cake! Free cake!
- Mordecai and Rigby

Think small, project big!

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page