Bathroom Computer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-22-2008, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm working on a project to setup a computer in my bathroom. I like to watch TV as I get ready, and also listen to music, check email, read news, etc. I had a spare LCD Monitor sitting around, so I've got a mount and set it up with a spare computer. (see attached, but pardon the mess)

I bought a gyro mouse to control it, and I'm planning on mounting it on the wall. I use software called "Orb" to stream live TV to it, and have a few music sites (Pandora, etc) bookmarked for that. I've had it running for about a week, and I'm happy with how it functions, so I'm ready to make it permanent.

I'm going to have a friend come and help me wire 2 electrical outlets, one by the monitor, and another under the sink for the computer. I'm also going to buy a pair of these to run the monitor cable through the wall. I'm also considering this computer for it's low power and heat output.

My biggest hangup now is audio. I'd like to mount some speakers in the room. They should be small and out of the way, and most likely waterproof. However, I don't know the best way to power them. I don't want to have a large receiver, but I still want them to sound good and be loud enough to hear over the shower.

Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions?

LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-22-2008, 05:58 AM

Do you shower in this room? If so I'd be just as worried about moisture in the monitor and computer as the speakers. Hopefully your ventilation is good. Cool idea though.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-22-2008, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

I do shower in there. It has good ventilation though. The mirror never fogs up.
post #4 of 11 Old 08-22-2008, 09:17 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 617
You might want to look into some of the lower priced integrated receiver/speaker soundbars and mount it just above the mirror (out of harms way) and under the light aimed down at the sweet spot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 Old 08-22-2008, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I put a little 19 inch Westinghouse in my bathroom also. I ran a cable from the bedroom system so it works of the DVR there. We can watch TV in the AM and also my wife can soak in the tub while she watches Ghost Whisperer and gets all weepy.

I was a little concerned about the humidity but figured the TV only cost $250 when new and if it dies they will probably be less by then. Been running almost 18 months now without an issue yet.

XBOX Live: SheriffTruman

Do you want a nice Keystone Jack panel behind your TV with HDMI, and Toslink? Check
post #6 of 11 Old 08-23-2008, 05:20 AM

Bathroom + computer...

Dropin duces and surfin the net..

FOR THE WIN!

post #7 of 11 Old 08-23-2008, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

@BIGmouthinDC: Great idea with the soundbar. I didn't realize there were those that only require an RCA hookup. That should work out well.

@Lee L: Glad to know someone else has had an LCD in there without humidity issues. I'm considering upgrading the ventilation fan as a precaution though.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-23-2008, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

How about in ceiling speakers connected to a small amp or receiver somewhere else?

Looks like a cool project. I would like to do something similar in our Master Bath some day.

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --
post #9 of 11 Old 08-24-2008, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Hmm.. I never understood the need for something like this. My roommate is the same way.. the need.. er.. perceived need to always be connected is a strange one. My roommate is like a fish out of water gasping for air when he doesn't either have his EeePC on his lap while he uses the toilet or his iPod strapped to his arm so he can stop cleaning the bathroom every 30 seconds to watch some entertainment.

Sure, we all get antsy when our internet connection goes down unexpectedly for a few days, but I'll never comprehend the feelings of utter isolation when someone can't send an email while evacuating their bowels.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-25-2008, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

He doesn't have his PC in the crapper.

You just aren't enlightened enough yet. Some day you may understand young grasshopper.

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --
post #11 of 11 Old 08-25-2008, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

My only issue with something requiring an amp or receiver, is where I would put it... I don't want to have too many electronics under the sink, and I'm not sure about it being in the attic... That's why a speaker bar that only requires an RCA connection is appealing.

And I can't see the monitor from the crapper, it's in a separate room. Although, I will admit I've surfed the web on my phone while in there. But this project is more for the streaming TV and music. The internet is kind of a bonus.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page