Complete 130" Home Theater for under $2,000, If I can do it, so can you! - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 156 Old 04-08-2013, 03:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I read this thread through start to finish last night and loved it. Free, I love your common sense approach to budgeting and your sensibilities regarding space. I am looking forward to starting my own home theater project later this year - thank you for giving me the confidence that I can a home movie experience without a trip to bankruptcy court. wink.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 156 Old 06-12-2013, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
JRock,

Glad you enjoyed it! Good to see people are still using the information in this thread to build their own systems. It was scary when I started, as you have to drop a ton of money just to see if it will work, no worries though, as it DOES work! I've been using this SAME system for 5 years and it is amazing. Even my kids can easily use it. I just got a Samsung Tablet that I am going to use to control the system, but I need to get off my rear and figure out the software...

I have put in a wiiU for gaming, and I got a new laptop that I can connect to use it as a computer screen. It is fun to edit on my laptop when using the screen as my edit bay.

Oh, and I RESET the timer on my second bulb, as the software says to replace it, but it still works (not as bright as when it was new), so I reset it, and have put about 500 MORE hours since it "expired"...
post #153 of 156 Old 09-18-2013, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Update time.

I finally figured I should replace the bulb, since I had put another 1,000 hours on it... (it was rated for 2,000 hours, and when it shut down, I reset it and put another 1,000 hours on it for a total of 3,000 hours out of a single bulb).

But, it was getting dim, so I ordered one from hong kong off ebay ($75 without the housing) and put it in my original bulb housing. (This is my third bulb I have put in my HC 1500).

Wow, the new bulb is SO bright. I always forget how much they dim over time, and when you drop a new bulb in after waiting years, it is like you got a new projector.

I also got a "universal" remote (samsung tablet) and have been enjoying using one remote to control the whole system. I am still using all the same gear (I have the new direct TV receiver) but everything else is the same stuff I got when I started this journey. So that gives you an idea how long this stuff lasts!

Still LOVE my theater, and use it almost every day! It has lasted longer than my TV set I had upstairs. I had to replace that a few weeks ago as the light engine was failing on it, and a new one was too expensive...

I did upgrade my wii to a wii u which the kids and I have enjoyed. Need for speed is a blast on it!
post #154 of 156 Old 09-19-2013, 07:07 PM

Liked: 12
Hey Free, stumbled into your thread this evening and just finished...thanks for sharing your experience, which fits very nicely into what we've been thinking about doing in our basement. It is currently the TV/Computer/exercise area, and is not nearly as big as your space. But the fact that you did not go with a dedicated HT space has helped me decide to go the same route.

Am very impressed with the life of the bulbs in your PJ, hopefully my Optoma will live that long.

Right now we have two recliners since it is just my wife and I, the dogs are happy to use sit on the floor. rolleyes.gif At times we have used our patio chairs and or bench to accommodate extra friends/family/freeloaders for those frequent Star Wars/X-Files/Harry Potter/BSG/Fringe, etc marathons! The "kids" don't complain since they are all a lot younger than we are....tongue.gif

Our Oppo DVD player does 1080P upscaling so the pictures are always very nice. Though the Samsung 46" DLP is dying, it's on it's second bulb in 6 years, the color and brightness & contrast keep slipping, which precipitated the discussion/purchase of the pj. Our Pioneer AV 7.1 Receiver is providing very nice sound and once the projector gets installed I'll be using the HDMI connections it offers. Am currently planning to build a 96" diag. 16:9 screen, in our space it would be hard to fit a much larger screen. frown.gif But hey, @ 96" it is more than double the 46".

I have one question, hopefully it does cause you to regress to the condition before your therapy, "M" tends to do that, it's about your "M", did not see how you resolved the issue, hopefully it did not turn into anything like a "Hanes".....eek.gif (My wife a retired teacher, would scream at that run on sentence..... biggrin.gif )

Anyways, great job, and we hope you and the family continue to enjoy your HT for many more years!

John
post #155 of 156 Old 09-20-2013, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the kind words John,

Yeah, our theater has been so much fun over the years. A bunch of my friends have done their own after seeing mine! You will love the 96 inch screen, two of my friends have that size and it is great! I'm spoiled with such a big area and huge screen, but it isn't necessary.

As far as our mold, I tore up the tiles, and the issue was a cut in the concrete from when they installed it, they put a cut all the way through the door area. So water was pooling in the door frame, and running back underneath the door and under the tile...

I removed the door (that was a pain in the rear...) and sealed it underneath, and then cut the concrete outside the door so that it would drain away from the house instead of going back towards the house, and then tore out the tile and sealed up the crack and laid down new tile. I probably could have done just one of those things to fix it, but I didn't want to worry so I did everything to MAKE sure it was fixed for good, as this is our dream home so I don't cut any corners.

I'm glad people are able to see our theater and get ideas for their own! You don't have to spend a ton to have an amazing movie/theater experience!
post #156 of 156 Old 09-24-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by john171 View Post

I have one question, hopefully it does cause you to regress to the condition before your therapy, "M" tends to do that, it's about your "M", did not see how you resolved the issue, hopefully it did not turn into anything like a "Hanes".....eek.gif

He said the "M" word!!!!!!!

Glad to hear you dodged the big "M" bullet there, Free. Ain't nobody got time for that!

Hope all is well. Cheers!

// hanes

The Un-Theater Un-Build

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page