post #91 of 204 Old 12-13-2008, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverfaithful View Post

Wow the blacks levels look great on the FP. Are you very satisfied with the Epson 1080UB?

I've still got one more light wall to cover with some dark GOM type material yet.....this one vvv...and my room will be a Total cave (just the ceiling left)

Every time I add a little more room treatment (dark fabric walls) for improved video performance, (and better acoustics) My black levels improve.

I found a great 20' long x 42" strip of really thick Black Velvet to go along the top half of the rear wall for $20
If I could only find enough to finish the rest of the room that cheap!

Last night I had my Pioneer Kuro turned on, nothing else, room nearly pitch black, no signal at all to the TV (Black screen) and it was glowing grey.
I guess its been a while since I've done that, but now that my room is REALLY dark...
the 5080 was actually looking kind of bright to me for the first time. Either my eyes were playing tricks on me,
or my projected black was just as good or better

So I dropped the big 120" down and fired up the 1080UB,
same thing...completely black screen with no signal...

To my amazement it was as Dark, dare I say even slightly Darker than the Kuro black screen.
I know the blacks start to drop off a little when you start projecting any content on the screen with whites or other colors,
but as you can see by the the last Earth shot....the ANSI contrast still looks pretty darn good.

Once I get my components racked off to the side I'm sure that will help too.
It's amazing how much ambient and reflected light gets absorbed by the velvet...

There's no way a painted drywall surface, no matter how dark, can match material for light and sound absorbing qualities.

I like to call this series of shots from the PS3 visualizer

the "How Big is Your World?" photo's

So How Big is "Your World"?..and shouldn't it at least be larger than You?

476% larger is a good start

LL

My First Home Theater
...When a Kuro plasma still isnt enough, make your movie Experience Larger than Life with a Projector!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 204 Old 12-13-2008, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post

I've still got one more light wall to cover with some dark GOM type material yet.....this one vvv...and my room will be a Total cave (just the ceiling left)

Every time I add a little more room treatment for improved video performance,(and better acoustics)
My black levels improve.

Last night I had my Pioneer Kuro turned on, nothing else, room nearly pitch black, no signal at all to the TV (Black screen) and it was glowing grey.
I guess its been a while since I've done that, but now that my room is REALLY dark...
the 5080 was actually looking kind of bright to me for the first time. Either my eyes were playing tricks on me,
or my projected black was just as good or better

So I dropped the big 120" down and fired up the 1080UB,
same thing...completely black screen with no signal...

To my amazement it was as Dark, dare I say even slightly Darker than the Kuro black screen.
I know the blacks start to drop off a little when you start projecting any content on the screen with whites or other colors,
but as you can see by the the last Earth shot....the ANSI contrast still looks pretty darn good.

Once I get my components racked off to the side I'm sure that will help too,
now I see why so many are building actual stages.

The Epson 1080UB (Ultra Black) is living up to its name...and oh yeah, It's a Keeper

Yea that sounds good. I guess those fabric covered, insulated walls without sheetrock are working out for you. Do you think you would have been sound if you used soundproof sheetrock boards rather then the fabric?
Im looking to get a 92" electric screen and put my Pio 5070 behind it like you did (I am not copying, I had that idea for the past 1 1/2, lol), do you think a 92" will have better black levels and better PQ/detail then your 120". I live in a NY apartment.
I am impressed with your setup, I remember talking to you back in the Pioneer 5070 thread when I had the name uptown193 and you had your 5070 in front of another older tv, but some cry babies on here ratted me out for something. I didn't know men are here were so sensitive.

Rich
post #93 of 204 Old 12-13-2008, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoo932 View Post

Piomaniac,that is one great room. I have a finished basement with a Samsung 52 lcd,onkyo 605 with 7.1 speaker and such.I got looking at your thread yeasterday and was so blown away by it that today I ordered a projector package from projector*************. I got the Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 6100,Sanus mount,35' HDMI cable and a Severtson 108' electric screen.I am going to do a setup like yours with the screen coming down over my LCD.I have a few questions on hooking everything up. My onkyo 605 has 2 HDMI in and 1 HDMI out. I should hook my HD cable box up to 1 HDMI in,PS3 to 2 HDMI in, HDMI out to 1x2 splitter (like you showed),then a HDMI to LCD and HDMI to Epson. Right? It works normal if both displays are on or if just one or the other is on right? Also I have a regular XBOX360 with componet out. What is best way to send that to LCD and projector. Man, thanks for your post as it opened my eyes as to how hometheater can look. Next Friday(Dec.19) my stuff should be here and my fun will start. Thanks for anymore help you can be.
Steve

Use a component cable for your Xbox, you wont notice much a difference in PQ if any at all. I have tested this many times with HDMI and Component. However, I know we all love and want that full HDMI digital connection. Or just upgrade to a Onkyo 705 like I have and has an extra HDMI port. Happy HDMIing....

Rich
post #94 of 204 Old 12-14-2008, 03:05 PM

Liked: 10
PIO, so i can watch the projector with out the LCD running and vice versa with that splitter? Also I thought that the Onkyo could do componet to HDMI but I could never get it to work. I worked on it last night and finally got it. I had to set the display to 1080i instead of 1080p and it worked. Thanks Pio. Also I have a 108 inch screen coming and I will have 18ft of throw. You think that will be good. Projector is Epson 6100.
post #95 of 204 Old 12-15-2008, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yea that sounds good. I guess those fabric covered, insulated walls without sheetrock are working out for you. Do you think you would have been sound if you used soundproof sheetrock boards rather then the fabric?
Im looking to get a 92" electric screen and put my Pio 5070 behind it like you did (I am not copying, I had that idea for the past 1 1/2, lol), do you think a 92" will have better black levels and better PQ/detail then your 120". I live in a NY apartment.
I am impressed with your setup, I remember talking to you back in the Pioneer 5070 thread when I had the name uptown193 and you had your 5070 in front of another older tv, but some cry babies on here ratted me out for something. I didn't know men are here were so sensitive.

Hey uptown! Good to hear from you Bro'
You must of hurt somebodies witto feewings huh? Haha
I had to go back to Jan. 08 to see WTH happened Funny $#!+ !!!

Ya I'm not too anxious to do any sheetrock now, the audio is pretty good... I still need to finish my bass traps for the rear corners though.
The twin Velo's shake the whole freakin house, but the real deep LFE frequencies seem to be canceling out right at my seating position.
I suppose it would be better if I corner loaded my subs instead of front firing.
The Bass is really emphasized in the corners of my room right now...almost makes me want to go sit in the corner to watch.

I may even try turn my room layout 90º one day so I can increase my throw distance and bump the screen up to 150"
That's another benefit to leaving the sheetrock off the walls/ceiling.
My layout is still flexible and nothing is permanent.

My room is 16'-9" x 14'-5" and normally peeps choose the short wall as the screen wall for a longer throw, bigger screen and two rows of seating.

I chose the go with a wider room, shorter throw because I didnt want the side seats so close to the side walls. (10' wide 3-seater)
My g/f and I are usually the only ones watching movies, and for game nights its just my two younger bro's and me so I didnt see the need for two rows of seating.

I cant see that going to a 92" screen would make the blacks any better for a FP,
but it would make the pixel structure smaller and allow you to sit closer without getting the SDE (screen-door-effect)

What kind of throw distance and seating distance are you looking at?
Get the biggest freaking screen you can get your hands on!

120" at 10' freaking Rocks!

My First Home Theater
...When a Kuro plasma still isnt enough, make your movie Experience Larger than Life with a Projector!
post #96 of 204 Old 12-15-2008, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoo932 View Post

PIO, so i can watch the projector with out the LCD running and vice versa with that splitter? Also I thought that the Onkyo could do componet to HDMI but I could never get it to work. I worked on it last night and finally got it. I had to set the display to 1080i instead of 1080p and it worked. Thanks Pio. Also I have a 108 inch screen coming and I will have 18ft of throw. You think that will be good. Projector is Epson 6100.

Sounds like you're good to go,
18' is a pretty long throw, but it looks like you'll have plenty of Lumens
(provided you can control your room lighting).
Do you know what gain your screen is?
Any chance you can ceiling mount your 6100 closer to the screen?

My First Home Theater
post #97 of 204 Old 12-15-2008, 04:13 PM

Pio, the screen is a 1.1 gain 108 inch Severtson.When i get my stuff delivered(Friday I hope) I'll put the screen up first and see what the pic looks like before I install the projector for good. If need be i can move it closer. Thanks for your help.
post #98 of 204 Old 12-17-2008, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Pretty phenomenal screen shots, especially the earth.
post #99 of 204 Old 12-17-2008, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post

Hey uptown! Good to hear from you Bro'
You must of hurt somebodies witto feewings huh? Haha
I had to go back to Jan. 08 to see WTH happened Funny $#!+ !!!

Ya I'm not too anxious to do any sheetrock now, the audio is pretty good... I still need to finish my bass traps for the rear corners though.
The twin Velo's shake the whole freakin house, but the real deep LFE frequencies seem to be canceling out right at my seating position.
I suppose it would be better if I corner loaded my subs instead of front firing.
The Bass is really emphasized in the corners of my room right now...almost makes me want to go sit in the corner to watch.

I may even try turn my room layout 90º one day so I can increase my throw distance and bump the screen up to 150"
That's another benefit to leaving the sheetrock off the walls/ceiling.
My layout is still flexible and nothing is permanent.

My room is 16'-9" x 14'-5" and normally peeps choose the short wall as the screen wall for a longer throw, bigger screen and two rows of seating.

I chose the go with a wider room, shorter throw because I didnt want the side seats so close to the side walls. (10' wide 3-seater)
My g/f and I are usually the only ones watching movies, and for game nights its just my two younger bro's and me so I didnt see the need for two rows of seating.

I cant see that going to a 92" screen would make the blacks any better for a FP,
but it would make the pixel structure smaller and allow you to sit closer without getting the SDE (screen-door-effect)

What kind of throw distance and seating distance are you looking at?
Get the biggest freaking screen you can get your hands on!

120" at 10' freaking Rocks!

LOL, yea man whats up, long time. You read some of the post I see huh, yea it was funny.
But yea i Have that same problem with my sub, I have a DefTech Sub and if I sit by my computer desk which is only like 3 feet from my normal sitting place on the sofa, the bass sounds so much more deeper, but then if I sit in the middle of my sofa its less. I guess I have to to the sub trick where I put the sub on the sofa where I sit and then walk around the room to see where I hear the bass best and then put the sub there. What you think? You ever try that technique?

Anyway, but Yea, I have about anywhere between 10' to 12' throw distance, but I think that would be to close for a 120" screen, I don't want my eyes burning while watching a movie. That's why i wanted to get a great 92"-100" screen. I think that is good enough for an apartment theater. Don't your eyes burn sitting at 10' with 100'?

Rich
post #100 of 204 Old 12-18-2008, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LOL, yea man whats up, long time. You read some of the post I see huh, yea it was funny.
But yea i Have that same problem with my sub, I have a DefTech Sub and if I sit by my computer desk which is only like 3 feet from my normal sitting place on the sofa, the bass sounds so much more deeper, but then if I sit in the middle of my sofa its less. I guess I have to to the sub trick where I put the sub on the sofa where I sit and then walk around the room to see where I hear the bass best and then put the sub there. What you think? You ever try that technique?

Anyway, but Yea, I have about anywhere between 10' to 12' throw distance, but I think that would be to close for a 120" screen, I don't want my eyes burning while watching a movie. That's why i wanted to get a great 92"-100" screen. I think that is good enough for an apartment theater. Don't your eyes burn sitting at 10' with 100'?

I'm fairly certain that corner loading my subs will give me the Max LFE,
but simply putting traps in the corners would be easier, look better, and still solve my standing wave issues. Hopefully, for my G/F's sake
I've already got a couple bundles of R-14, I just have to stack them in the corners to see how well it works before I start actually building anything.

My eyes adjusted to my 120" screen at 10'-6" viewing distance within a couple weeks. At 1.2 screen widths, its the perfect seating distance for me
(120" Diagonal screen is about 8'-9" wide x 1.2 = 10'-6")

My eyes are exactly 10'-6" from the screen.
My PJ's throw is 12'-6" (distance from lens to screen)
and I double checked before hand it would throw 120" from at least 12'

When doing your PJ research its helpful to use the calculator at projector central. Plug your numbers in and make adjustments.

Not all PJ's will work for every room configuration
Mounting locations, lens shift, zoom, lumen output, screen size and gain all have to work for your rooms parameters.
You'll also want a PJ that has minimal lag or motion blur for Gaming
Make sure you're not sensitive to DLP rainbows too.
LCD's in general are more flexible for mounting locations and lens shifting.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epso...ulator-pro.htm

If there's anyway for you to demo several systems in person that may be best for you.
A demo can also give you a feel for what screen sizes your eyes can handle at different distances.

My First Home Theater
post #101 of 204 Old 12-18-2008, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Wow, pretty sweet. I had a friend do the same thing with putting velvet on the wall. Only he wrapped them around rigid insulation and used velcro to attach the panel to the studs. Worked and looked great.
post #102 of 204 Old 12-29-2008, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Ya, Saawariya was a great movie.

I love your Google SketchUps. Did you follow a tutorial for doing room layouts in SketchUp? I tried to plan my basement using it but found it quite difficult to use.
post #103 of 204 Old 01-01-2009, 04:54 AM

Hey man the pictures are still looking great. I know your screen is 120" and I was wondering how close do you have the projector mounted to the screen?
post #104 of 204 Old 02-06-2009, 02:10 PM

Liked: 13
Any updates??? This has to be one of my favorite threads to look at!
post #105 of 204 Old 02-06-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyb22 View Post

Hey man the pictures are still looking great. I know your screen is 120" and I was wondering how close do you have the projector mounted to the screen?

dude... seriously? This is only 4 pages deep. He's answered that.
post #106 of 204 Old 02-06-2009, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I desperately need to get some more tools now that I'm a home owner.
I have a hammer, measuring tape, level and a staple gun...and not much more. No power tools at all (except a drill).

So I decided to just staple some deep chocolate brown Chanille fabric up on the side wall.
Lazy and cheap...but effective for a temporary solution on budget install

Pretty dramatic change ... (bottom half of rear wall is next, but I ran out of material)

Here you can see where reflected light can still bounce back into the room

No more reflected light bouncing off my screen onto the insulated wall to my left
Sometimes you dont realize how much a distraction the lighter walls are to your eyes until you remove the distraction.
With no peripheral interference my eyes are very happy now, not to mention the PJ's performance is up yet another notch towards perfection.

Casino Royale 50" plasma vs 120" screen and pj combo (for about the same price)

sorry if the focus is off a bit (hand held camera, no tripod)

oops, forgot to turn the camera flash off

Even with some ambient light the picture is still pretty good now that my walls are darker

but once the lights are out it looks like a giant plasma screen

and last but certainly not least, the view from my center seat, trying to holding my camera steady while fully reclined

and a couple from the latest Bond bluray, Quantum of Solace

Now that's pretty darn close to Kuro Black!

My First Home Theater
post #107 of 204 Old 02-09-2009, 04:56 AM

Yeah, building/owning a house quickly led to a rapid expansion of what tools I have. I went from a few hammers, screwdrivers, wrenches and tape measures to miter saws, table saws, jig saws, etc in short order. Got tired of borrowing them from friends and family. Once you have them you find yourself tackling more and more projects. You should see the absolutely ridiculous cat house I made for on outdoor cat I don't even like. Shingled, insulated with a hinged roof so I can clean out the inside as needed.

Nothing wrong with being a home improvement dork, man...especially one with a good taste in electronics
post #108 of 204 Old 02-09-2009, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Despite my lack of tools, progress on the room hasn't totally come to a grinding halt just yet
Check out the difference a few yards of dark fabric, a staple gun and about 30 minutes can do for ambient/reflected light control.

I used to think having a basement "cave" just meant blocking out natural light...
What I didn't take into account was reflected light from my screen bouncing off the white insulation

Before...way too much light bouncing around

Now That's a "Cave"!

I decided to continue the Black Velvet from the back wall around to break up the large brown side wall..What a difference that simple change made!
The black top section really makes the room feel larger.

Back wall, the camera flash doesn't even light up the fabric at all (click pic to turn the lights on)

I'm pretty happy with the results so far,
The basement feels very cozy for an unfinished area...I guess you really can polish a turd when that's all you can afford to do.

I'm amazed with the video and audio performance. The insulation and fabric combo absorbs light and sound reflections better than drywall/paint.
If there's one area that my room is lacking, without DD/GG there's very little sound isolation from the rest of the home. If there's a movie on, the whole house hears it.
...not too much of a issue though since it's just my G/F and I, no kids (except One Big one -->me)

My First Home Theater
post #109 of 204 Old 02-15-2009, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Hey PioManiac! Quick follow up question for you on your screen. Are you still happy with it now that you've had it for a while? Any wrinkles/waves? How well does the motor work? And where did you buy it from?

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #110 of 204 Old 02-17-2009, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm very satisfied with my cheap ebay screen, still no major wrinkles or waves after five months.
The small creases in the bottom third of the screen are just barley visible, but only with a very bright full white projected image. So faint my camera cant even pick them up.
The motor and switch have been perfect, very smooth, very quiet and never a problem.

Just last week I finally figured out how to set the adjustable drop distance so
I can just hit the down button and let it drop to my designated distance (just short of touching my center channel speaker)
without having to watch it closely and hit the stop button when it looked "close enough".

If I had to it all over again, I'm not sure I wouldn't change a thing. A powered drop down screen has allowed me to have the best of both (Plasma/PJ) without having to choose.
Having a TV for a tv program or a quick view of the local news or weather channel beats the heck out of firing up the PJ several times throughout the day.

When its actually "Movie Time",
dropping the BIG screen down in front of the plasma and dimming the lights with a click of my remote when we have company over never fails to get everyone excited with anticipation.

In all honesty I thought I would eventually be looking for a more expensive brand name screen, or building my own fixed screen/masking system once I determined my actual needs.
This one was just supposed to be a cheap temporary first screen to get my feet wet in the FP pool without diving too far into the deep end only to discover I needed a higher gain, higher contrast material, tensioned, or a larger size etc.

I find my image is more than bright enough even now that my bulb has over 400 hours on it, so no need for a higher gain.
I also find my blacks look amazing and that I dont need to worry about a higher contrast screen or a masking system for widescope 2.35:1 movie's.
The black bars on scope movies just seem to blend into the dark background of my room.

I have seen more expensive screens, and more expensive projectors in person, in action,
and I dont feel like they offer anywhere near enough over my setup to justify the additional cost.

Info on where I got it and how much I paid are a few posts back (#39 I believe)

These screen shots came out a little too dark, but it looks amazing in person with no loss in shadow detail at all.
After calibrating my PJ to use low lamp mode the blacks are even better than ever now.
...unfortunately my camera isnt good enough to capture the image without losing some shadow detail.

I should probably just use a brighter setting on the Epson for screen shots I suppose

My First Home Theater
post #111 of 204 Old 02-20-2009, 09:57 AM

Pio,

Isn't it amazing what happens when the whole room has dark "walls" vs. just the front!

Your project basically put me over the edge in thinking a project like this was feasable, so thanks!
post #112 of 204 Old 02-23-2009, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It really is amazing how much better a projector will perform in a totally Blacked out Cave...not just an ambient light controlled space.
...and thanks to stereomandan for his Epson Calibration settings, I'm now using Natural mode, with the low lamp setting.

Ceiling treatment is next on my list, maybe some more black velvet or a fiber optic star field, but I need to insulate first.
With my wallet feeling the pinch along with the economic downturn lately I guess my build thread is going to be more of a screen shot collection for a while

Here's some of my favorites from my HD media shelves
CGI Animation and Bluray/HD DVD concerts...

My First Home Theater

My First Home Theater
post #113 of 204 Old 02-24-2009, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
PioManiac,

VERY nice HT!

Here is my messy HT. I'll be re-wiring everything when my MFW-15 shows up.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
post #114 of 204 Old 02-24-2009, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Wow is all I have to say!
post #115 of 204 Old 03-18-2009, 01:34 PM

Very inspiring thread! I will have to definitely do this when I move into my next house. For now, all I have is my living room in my current home, lol!
post #116 of 204 Old 03-25-2009, 06:51 AM

Very sweet HT PioManiac.

Keep us updated!
post #117 of 204 Old 04-09-2009, 02:43 PM

Liked: 18
PioManiac nice work man, I can't wait for your next pic and update. keep it up
post #118 of 204 Old 04-14-2009, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
had to top this because I love it. We have that bookcase in the back of the room, haha.

the only thing I'd do differently is put the screen on the actual wall instead of a pull-down. I'll just put my Pio 5010 in another room and have that be the dedicated theater room.
post #119 of 204 Old 05-24-2009, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Hey Piomaniac.

I came across a post of yours and thought I'd make a few comments after your suggestions late last year about going FP coming from a Kuro. After much debate (and ditching the FP idea) I eventually came back to it and bought a Pioneer FPJ1 when they clearanced them out in March and picked up a 100" motorized Elite screen. My 6020 has a better picture but I'm VERY happy I made the switch to the projector setup for movies.

Your fabric on your walls added a nice touch.

Another trick (if you hadn't thought of already) I used when it came to the black bars dilema is to only drop your screen down part way. I set my screen down just enough an leave about a 3" border at the top and use the manual vertical shift on my projector and I no longer pay attention to black bars anymore which really helps keeping you from being concerned about black levels. LOL

If you ever want a brighter pic your setup looks perfect for a Da-Lite High Power screen. I got a 12x12 sample and it's plasma bright. There are drawbacks but from your setup there would be no viewing angle issues. That screen is definitely going to be my next upgrade.

Anyway thought I'd pop in and make a comment and thanks for your past suggestions. My projector setup was cheaper than my Kuro 6020 as well.
post #120 of 204 Old 05-25-2009, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the update xb1032

I'm glad you finally figured it out.

It's hard to put into words when trying to convince a die hard Kuro plasma fan that a projector is the way to go for a better movie experience.
But even the best TV you can buy is still just a TV. Having a Kuro PDP and a Kuro PJ is the Ultimate combo (IMHO)
I would have loved to get in on that deal when they were clearing them out.

I'm still pretty happy with my screen so I dont think I'll need a high power unless I see a very significant drop in my bulbs output (currently at around 600 hours).
As you can see in my latest "a Bug's Life" screen shots I get plenty of "Pop" even in low lamp mode The Epson is a pretty bright PJ.

Monsters vs. Aliens

My First Home Theater
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page