post #271 of 495 Old 02-18-2009, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSWHO View Post

I may also add it in the middle of the squares like the guy who showed his pics in your thread. I liked how that looked and with the rope light shinning down and the swirl marks, I think it would look real cool. I will be testing a piece as soon as I order some for the kegerator top.

That wasnt copper he called it something else but you are really thinking about doing that? That would look cool. I like th elook of the copper better than his. His appears to be more dull and more of a yellowish color. If you did it with copper it would look cool. Looks like you will be placing order #2 from Storm Just tell em I sent ya

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 495 Old 02-18-2009, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

That wasnt copper he called it something else but you are really thinking about doing that? That would look cool. I like th elook of the copper better than his. His appears to be more dull and more of a yellowish color. If you did it with copper it would look cool. Looks like you will be placing order #2 from Storm Just tell em I sent ya

I liked his looks very clean and contemorary which is not my taste but very well done. His is the mix of copper and brass. I am going to make one panel and see how it looks.
Heck they know my name by heart now, I am calling up there every other day bugging them on the copper foot rail dimensions and costs.

The Copper Pub /Corey Lane Cinema

"Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to exit the donut." IRONMAN 2
post #273 of 495 Old 02-18-2009, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I liked his looks very clean and contemorary which is not my taste but very well done. His is the mix of copper and brass. I am going to make one panel and see how it looks.
Heck they know my name by heart now, I am calling up there every other day bugging them on the copper foot rail dimensions and costs.

YOu got the foot rail from storm copper as well? i didnt know they carried that. What is the cost for that? Who are you dealing with? I dealt with Charlene after the first guy Lee got fired or something. I drove her nuts with all my emails....imagine that huh. I cant believe your considering covering all that beautiful oak with copper you might as well of just used plywood then

post #274 of 495 Old 02-19-2009, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

YOu got the foot rail from storm copper as well? i didnt know they carried that. What is the cost for that? Who are you dealing with? I dealt with Charlene after the first guy Lee got fired or something. I drove her nuts with all my emails....imagine that huh. I cant believe your considering covering all that beautiful oak with copper you might as well of just used plywood then

they don't carry it but they do carry copper rods, was trying to figure out what thinkness I could get away with but for a 1 1/2 or 2" was way too expensive so I might just go the copper pipe from HD or Lowes, polish it up and coat it with the copper shield since I still have a can left. Did you coat your copper with that stuff? Did you like the shine from it?

post #275 of 495 Old 02-19-2009, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

they don't carry it but they do carry copper rods, was trying to figure out what thinkness I could get away with but for a 1 1/2 or 2" was way too expensive so I might just go the copper pipe from HD or Lowes, polish it up and coat it with the copper shield since I still have a can left. Did you coat your copper with that stuff? Did you like the shine from it?

Yea I did both bars with it and it really shined things up alot. It gave it almost a clear coat laquer look which I guess is basically what it is. I cant wait to get the Etex over the top of it I think it will really pop then. I figured that copper rod was steep. I paid $140 (if i recall correctly) for 20ft and the spray so I imagine the rod is double that or more.

post #276 of 495 Old 02-20-2009, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yea I did both bars with it and it really shined things up alot. It gave it almost a clear coat laquer look which I guess is basically what it is. I cant wait to get the Etex over the top of it I think it will really pop then. I figured that copper rod was steep. I paid $140 (if i recall correctly) for 20ft and the spray so I imagine the rod is double that or more.

It was much more than that but I think I can do the pipe and with a little work make it look good. I'll keep you posted. I decided not to do the copper panels wither on the outside of the bar, I am now thinking of going with kick panels (just like the brass door kick panels) under each square section in copper. I changed my mind because I did a mock up on the computer and did not like the way it looked with the copper squares and you were right we would be hiding all that beautiful oak grain up.

post #277 of 495 Old 02-20-2009, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It was much more than that but I think I can do the pipe and with a little work make it look good. I'll keep you posted. I decided not to do the copper panels wither on the outside of the bar, I am now thinking of going with kick panels (just like the brass door kick panels) under each square section in copper. I changed my mind because I did a mock up on the computer and did not like the way it looked with the copper squares and you were right we would be hiding all that beautiful oak grain up.

My opinion on kick panels is that would look cool but I would make sure to get some of the thicker copper from them, maybe even the copper sheets because this copper is very soft and if someone kicked it you would see dents and stuff. But I know they have some thicker panels and what not.

post #278 of 495 Old 02-20-2009, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

My opinion on kick panels is that would look cool but I would make sure to get some of the thicker copper from them, maybe even the copper sheets because this copper is very soft and if someone kicked it you would see dents and stuff. But I know they have some thicker panels and what not.

Yep, definately going with a thicker piece for the kick panel, the problem will be the screws attaching it unless I glue it. I have seen the copper nails that they use on the copper roofs so that might be an option... too many projects not enough money or time.

post #279 of 495 Old 02-20-2009, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yep, definately going with a thicker piece for the kick panel, the problem will be the screws attaching it unless I glue it. I have seen the copper nails that they use on the copper roofs so that might be an option... too many projects not enough money or time.

I hear you on that. Couldnt you just take off the oak peices that go vertically down the front and screw or nail the copper behing them and reattatch them hiding any nails and a little of your contact cememnt in the middle. That will look sweet.

post #280 of 495 Old 02-21-2009, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Here are some pics of the mocked up foot rail that I am trying to create. It is just regular old copper pipe from HD, 1" OD, the regular brass ones you see are 1 1/2" or 2" OD so these do look a little small to me, back to the drawing board? Any thoughts ?

post #281 of 495 Old 02-21-2009, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Awesome....If I were you, copper being rather soft, put a closet dowel inside the railing to give you some added support. They MUST go into the couplers. Good luck.

Oh, and move it closer to the bar. My rail is 6 inches to the inside and 8 inches to the outside. Go with the larger diameter. One inch seems small.
post #282 of 495 Old 02-22-2009, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

My god I just looked at the prices on copper tube from Storm........HOLY CRAP!!! 2' diameter is INSANE..back to the drawing board. I like what you have mocked up although I would put it a little closer to the bar like Randy said, other than that it lookes cool and if you add a kickplate too...very nice. Does this build EVER end??

post #283 of 495 Old 02-22-2009, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

My god I just looked at the prices on copper tube from Storm........HOLY CRAP!!! 2' diameter is INSANE..back to the drawing board. I like what you have mocked up although I would put it a little closer to the bar like Randy said, other than that it lookes cool and if you add a kickplate too...very nice. Does this build EVER end??

I told you it was expensive...The distance was based on the brackets I am thinking of getting the CAD drawing showed it at 6 3/4" from the bar but it did seem like it was too far, I may have to look at other brackets too.
I decided to go with a larger diameter pipe so it is back to the drawing board. I will do like Randy suggested and insert a dowel inside to beef it up even though with this 1" I was standing on it with no center support and it did not bend so the 2" should be fine but I would rather be safe.

post #284 of 495 Old 02-22-2009, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Todays project was working on a well overdue item of covering the ugly black support pole. Decided to cover it in red oak in a square design, biscuit jointery and glue with no nails. Here are some pictures from this mornings progress. I will let the glue and biscuit joints dry for 24hrs before adding trim, sanding, filling, staining and clear coating. Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

Here is a shot of the traditional ugly pole that we all have seen....

1x6x9ft red oak boards...

Daddy's little helper...

Used foam to stabilize and secure it around the pole.

My little helper had enough and needed a cat nap...

post #285 of 495 Old 02-22-2009, 02:24 PM

Just started following this thread, and wanted to commend you on the work that you've done. I noticed the pics from the UM/Wisconsin game - I was at that game as well. Took my 5 yr old daughter to her first game at the Big House and was rewarded with a great game (one of the few from this past year, unfortunately).

Was wondering where you got the "Football Tryouts" sign that I saw in some of the pictures? I've got a place in my bar that would be perfect for it.

Again, great looking bar/theater.
post #286 of 495 Old 02-22-2009, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Great work Dennis.....I didnt know you were a biscuit man. That is getting into the "real" wordworking. I think its going to look real sharp. As for the Copper I didnt think you were able to find 2" diameter off the shelf at the box stores but if you are that will be perfect as the stuff from Storm was like $400-$600 per 4' or some crazy price. I just realized as you let us in on some pics of the other side of the room that you have cheated and not finished the ceiling yet.....what gives slacker??

post #287 of 495 Old 02-22-2009, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Great work Dennis.....I didnt know you were a biscuit man. That is getting into the "real" wordworking. I think its going to look real sharp. As for the Copper I didnt think you were able to find 2" diameter off the shelf at the box stores but if you are that will be perfect as the stuff from Storm was like $400-$600 per 4' or some crazy price. I just realized as you let us in on some pics of the other side of the room that you have cheated and not finished the ceiling yet.....what gives slacker??

I talked to someone at HD and they said sometimes they will get in 2" so I thought maybe next weekend I will do the tour and hit every HD & Lowes in a 20 miles radius and see if I can get lucky we'll see....
The other side needs the drop ceiling finished, I had the aluminum one but hated it and tore it down to redo it. I have plans to finish first on the sitting area before I can do it (such as covering the poles, still have one other one that I need to do) Plans on doing something similar to Dingers with half walls in wood and colums with sconce lighting, again too much to do and not enough time or funds...

post #288 of 495 Old 02-22-2009, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Malph View Post

Just started following this thread, and wanted to commend you on the work that you've done. I noticed the pics from the UM/Wisconsin game - I was at that game as well. Took my 5 yr old daughter to her first game at the Big House and was rewarded with a great game (one of the few from this past year, unfortunately).

Was wondering where you got the "Football Tryouts" sign that I saw in some of the pictures? I've got a place in my bar that would be perfect for it.

Again, great looking bar/theater.

Thanks Ralph for the kind comments and welcome. That U of M game was crazy (as you know) We almost left at half time .... I would have never forgave myself.

The sign came from a store called Kirklands. It is one of those stores that if you see it you better get it becasue they never carry the same stuff twice. I got alot of my theater signage from them also. I looked online but they do not have an online catalog. www.kirklands.com

post #289 of 495 Old 02-22-2009, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Isnt Kirklands one of those old lady decoration stores with mirrors, vases and pottery. We have one in the mall here.... As for the copper I wonder cant HD special order the 2" copper tube for you rather than the hunt for it? Just a thought. I understand the $$ issues as I am experiencing much of the same here.

post #290 of 495 Old 02-23-2009, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Isnt Kirklands one of those old lady decoration stores with mirrors, vases and pottery. We have one in the mall here.... As for the copper I wonder cant HD special order the 2" copper tube for you rather than the hunt for it? Just a thought. I understand the $$ issues as I am experiencing much of the same here.

That's the store, My wife dragged me in there one time and I found my popcorn sign and a clap board. I now hit it regularly and since have purchased the football sign, the wooden camera, the dancing snacks sign, a metal hollywood & celebrity sign, a metal movie reel and a limited edition star wars movie poster. I do recommend looking in there if I were you.

post #291 of 495 Old 02-23-2009, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's the store, My wife dragged me in there one time and I found my popcorn sign and a clap board. I now hit it regularly and since have purchased the football sign, the wooden camera, the dancing snacks sign, a metal hollywood & celebrity sign, a metal movie reel and a limited edition star wars movie poster. I do recommend looking in there if I were you.

Yep thats the same store that has that funny "old lady meets incense" smell to it. And has all those baskets, seasonal candle holders and fancy x-mas decorations......man I make sure my wife stears clear of that store anytime we are even near it. I like to think she doesnt even know it exists but I may be wrong

post #292 of 495 Old 02-24-2009, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yep thats the same store that has that funny "old lady meets incense" smell to it. And has all those baskets, seasonal candle holders and fancy x-mas decorations......man I make sure my wife stears clear of that store anytime we are even near it. I like to think she doesnt even know it exists but I may be wrong

She's going to have to keep you out of there. I just look around before I go in to make sure none of my buddys are there and then I go in and get what I need and leave. It does have that grandma's house smell to it.

post #293 of 495 Old 02-24-2009, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

I found 2" copper tube at Grainger that is located near by, so I will be heading up there sometime soon to pick some up to mock up version 2 of the foot rail. Prices are much cheaper than storm copper, only $88 bucks for 10ft compared to $300+ at storm however storm's wall thickness is much thicker but I am inserting a wooden dowell inside to help support it. The brass rail that "normal" people use was even more than that price. Updates to follow....

post #294 of 495 Old 02-26-2009, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
AV/Science has been worth its weight in Gold over the Years (what does it weigh would you guess)?

Anyways, my Rec Room/Sports Bar has been on hold for awhile , I have been trying to figure out what type of Counter top surface to go with, since I already have a pre fabricated Cherry top where the Bar stools are to be located, but I need a regular Counter top surface for the rest of the Bar area and above the Cabinets.

I never thought of doing s Copper Counter top, and what you have done looks fabulous.. have always loved Cherry, Copper, and Nickel.and had already planned on antique Bronze/copper handles similair to what you chose for the Cabinets.

Seems to make sense to copy your Copper Counter top, handles, but the outlet Covers, I am not too sure about..I guess if the outlets themselves were copper that would be kind of cool.I suppose an outlet could be spray primed & painted copper without much problem.

Have to go back through the entire thread to see how you achieved the look on top of the Counter..hope you dont mind if I copy your artistry? They say imitation is the biggest form of flattery. and sometimes it just beats the heck out of anything you can come up with on your own

Thanks for sharing and some great ideas.
post #295 of 495 Old 02-27-2009, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrushhead View Post

AV/Science has been worth its weight in Gold over the Years (what does it weigh would you guess)?

Anyways, my Rec Room/Sports Bar has been on hold for awhile , I have been trying to figure out what type of Counter top surface to go with, since I already have a pre fabricated Cherry top where the Bar stools are to be located, but I need a regular Counter top surface for the rest of the Bar area and above the Cabinets.

I never thought of doing s Copper Counter top, and what you have done looks fabulous.. have always loved Cherry, Copper, and Nickel.and had already planned on antique Bronze/copper handles similair to what you chose for the Cabinets.

Seems to make sense to copy your Copper Counter top, handles, but the outlet Covers, I am not too sure about..I guess if the outlets themselves were copper that would be kind of cool.I suppose an outlet could be spray primed & painted copper without much problem.

Have to go back through the entire thread to see how you achieved the look on top of the Counter..hope you dont mind if I copy your artistry? They say imitation is the biggest form of flattery. and sometimes it just beats the heck out of anything you can come up with on your own

Thanks for sharing and some great ideas.

Thanks for the kind comments bigrushhead,
Steal away, I don't mind at all and be sure to follow IUSteve 's thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1119390 who also asked me "how to" questions and did the same thing but adjusted to his likes. Dannynoonan also has a very nicely done commercial bronze bar top, you can see his pics in IUSteves thread above page 4 post #116.
and welcome to the copper club....
I do plan on changing the outlets to a brown outlet once I get some more done, My wife likes to say I like to jump around and never really finish any one thing, I guess it's my downfall.

post #296 of 495 Old 02-27-2009, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the kind comments bigrushhead,
Steal away, I don't mind at all and be sure to follow IUSteve 's thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1119390 who also asked me "how to" questions and did the same thing but adjusted to his likes. Dannynoonan also has a very nicely done commercial bronze bar top, you can see his pics in IUSteves thread above page 4 post #116.
and welcome to the copper club....
I do plan on changing the outlets to a brown outlet once I get some more done, My wife likes to say I like to jump around and never really finish any one thing, I guess it's my downfall.

Well thanks for the mention Dennis. I like how you refer to my questions as "how to" when they are more like what can i steal next....

Dont feel bad about the jumpimg around as I do the exact same thing. THats the reason my bar rail isnt mounted yet, but the room is painted, the flooring isnt installed but the cabinets are stained and polyed. I am all over the place here but hey thats what makes it fun, I work on whatever I feel like working on any given day and worry about the rest another day.....

post #297 of 495 Old 02-28-2009, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

The wife's girls movie night is tonight. Made up a drink menu for the ladies... I am the designated bartender... this should be interesting....photos to follow after the hangover from tonight... The scan of the menu is diluted and does not look as good as the original. The yellow background is really a copper color but you get the idea....

post #298 of 495 Old 02-28-2009, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

That is great, how did you make that? It would be cool to make up a permanent drink menu sign for the wall out of copper......ideas are workin here.

post #299 of 495 Old 02-28-2009, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Man, I can't wait to see the pictures
post #300 of 495 Old 03-01-2009, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
He's making sure he deletes any photos of him drinking a purple skittle or candy apple before posting.

Check out Dinger's
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page