post #181 of 495 Old 02-10-2009, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyNow^ View Post

I used a wood conditioner prior to staining the plywood. If you don't it's a stain spounge. I trimmed my end rail with the same continuous band that the drip tray has. It's not perfect but neither am I.

I used wood conditioner on the drip tray. The pics make it look lighter than it is. All I was saying is that its not going to match 100% to the oak as it is a different wood all together. As for the an end cap I am not sure what you mean, did you in fact use or make some sort of cap to hide the edge of the rail/plywood peice so that you dont see it all?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 495 Old 02-10-2009, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
You can see part of it.

Randy

post #183 of 495 Old 02-10-2009, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyNow^ View Post

You can see part of it.

I forgot about the stain issue with the absorbant side of the wood. I will have to try wood conditioner on the spare ones I made and see how it matches up. I have to do something with mine as it sticks out like a sore thumb. Plus I measured the drip rail with the dimensions of the cap included.

Hmmm maybe I could use a strip of edge banding the real wood veneer kind on the top and only stain the sides....

"Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to exit the donut." IRONMAN 2
post #184 of 495 Old 02-10-2009, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I wonder what alternatives we have when it comes to an end cap. Staining the end grain(the top) is going to prove tough I am sure. I will have to give it a whirl with wood conditioner as well. Maybe soak it in conditioner over night...lol

post #185 of 495 Old 02-10-2009, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

I wonder what alternatives we have when it comes to an end cap. Staining the end grain(the top) is going to prove tough I am sure. I will have to give it a whirl with wood conditioner as well. Maybe soak it in conditioner over night...lol

I think using some edge banding will do the trick if the stain will not work. I think the stain should be ok if done properly.

post #186 of 495 Old 02-10-2009, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSWHO View Post

I think using some edge banding will do the trick if the stain will not work. I think the stain should be ok if done properly.

I am not 100% sure what "edge banding" is but since I am only using a 1/4" peice I may have issues where you are using 1" stock so you have more surface area. I am going to try either later tonight or tomorrow to sand, use wood conditioner and stain one of my demo caps and see the result. Man I really should start a thread so everyone can tell me what I did wrong.... I dont like to use your thread to hear the negatives

post #187 of 495 Old 02-10-2009, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Heres a few pics. The first is drip tray stained....(damn sanded plywood doesnt stain like oak ) And the second is a test corner I did with filler and stain....fun stuff

This is much darker in person as I used flash and I got work lights in weird places:

This pic just sucks. Damn I need a new camera, unless you use a tri-pod its blurry

The corner looks good but that may be the blurr....LOL
I like the color of the drip, shoot a picture of it from a distance it will give us a more detailed view of it beside the copper....

post #188 of 495 Old 02-10-2009, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

[quote=Iusteve;15785232]Heres a few pics. The first is drip tray stained....(damn sanded plywood doesnt stain like oak ) And the second is a test corner I did with filler and stain....fun stuff

This is much darker in person as I used flash and I got work lights in weird places:

What is the depth difference between the drip rail and the copper or are they the same? What's your plan on how your going to do the drip rail molding ?

post #189 of 495 Old 02-10-2009, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

By depth are you referring to width? If so no the copper portion is 12" wide (thats the size copper roll I got) and the drip rail is about 4" wide. I actually am using oak corner bead or corner trim to cover the edge of the sanded ply and another peice to cover the edge of the copper and the mdf it sits on. Make sense?? If not I will add a pic for you. This wasnt my original plan but I had some laying around as I used it on the bar front corner and I tested it and it works perfectly.

post #190 of 495 Old 02-10-2009, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

By depth are you referring to width? If so no the copper portion is 12" wide (thats the size copper roll I got) and the drip rail is about 4" wide. I actually am using oak corner bead or corner trim to cover the edge of the sanded ply and another peice to cover the edge of the copper and the mdf it sits on. Make sense?? If not I will add a pic for you. This wasnt my original plan but I had some laying around as I used it on the bar front corner and I tested it and it works perfectly.

So they are flush then...the top of the ply and the top of the copper?

post #191 of 495 Old 02-10-2009, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Steve check out this ingenious way to do an end cap by Netko350z. He mitered it at a 90 degree and ran it downward, I wish I would have saw this before I installed mine....

post #192 of 495 Old 02-10-2009, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So they are flush then...the top of the ply and the top of the copper?

Oh no. I thought you meant the width of each. No the drip tray drops down about an inch maybe a bit less from the copper surface.

As for that 90 degree angle on his rail....HOW IN THE WORLD can you see that??

post #193 of 495 Old 02-10-2009, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Oh no. I thought you meant the width of each. No the drip tray drops down about an inch maybe a bit less from the copper surface.

As for that 90 degree angle on his rail....HOW IN THE WORLD can you see that??

Heres it is a bit larger

post #194 of 495 Old 02-10-2009, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

That is definately interesting and a way to do it that I have never seen before. We on the other hand are beyond that point and must fend for ourselves now...lol. I just took some new pics of the drip tray with the trim laid in place. Did I amswer your question regarding my drip tray?

post #195 of 495 Old 02-10-2009, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

That is definately interesting and a way to do it that I have never seen before. We on the other hand are beyond that point and must fend for ourselves now...lol. I just took some new pics of the drip tray with the trim laid in place. Did I amswer your question regarding my drip tray?

Here is another shot of the end piece by Netko350z...

yes you answered it, It just looked like they were even from that picture....

post #196 of 495 Old 02-10-2009, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I read his thread some time back and never noticed but he has a wide surface area on that bar. Mine is so puny at only 12" but that was the width of the copper I got so 12" it was. Oh well a beer bottle is only 2 inches or so and thats all that matters. That end peice is ok. I personally would like it better if it were capped like what we are doing if in fact we can make something that looks nice. The best scenario would be to get a true end cap but I have no supplier around here and the place I got the rail doesnt make end caps. That one you got from HD might work for mine but it looks like it has a different curve to it than mine.

post #197 of 495 Old 02-10-2009, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I read his thread some time back and never noticed but he has a wide surface area on that bar. Mine is so puny at only 12" but that was the width of the copper I got so 12" it was. Oh well a beer bottle is only 2 inches or so and thats all that matters. That end peice is ok. I personally would like it better if it were capped like what we are doing if in fact we can make something that looks nice. The best scenario would be to get a true end cap but I have no supplier around here and the place I got the rail doesnt make end caps. That one you got from HD might work for mine but it looks like it has a different curve to it than mine.

Wheres the update pictures at ?

post #198 of 495 Old 02-10-2009, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

About the best shot I have right now on the drip tray from a distance for ya. You can see a peice of the trim I am using laying in place and another laying on the copper. Again hard to take these pics with the bad lighting ai have down there right now. I think all the plastic all over is blocking the light.......

post #199 of 495 Old 02-10-2009, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

You know I hate to clutter your thread with "my" pics

post #200 of 495 Old 02-10-2009, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

[quote=Iusteve;15791361]You know I hate to clutter your thread with "my" pics

I don't mind at all...
Okay now were getting somewhere, I like to be able to visualize when your telling me something. I don't think it will look bad at all once all the stuff is stained and the envirotex is applied because it doesn't look bad now, your lighting sucks but hey it took you how long to post pictures so I'm not going to complain I think it will all come together and you'll like it. Looks good man, keep up the progress.

post #201 of 495 Old 02-10-2009, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Its so so now but I tend to critique myself more than I need to at times. I really need to start a thread for people to rip my work But I need a name.......any suggestions??

post #202 of 495 Old 02-10-2009, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Its so so now but I tend to critique myself more than I need to at times. I really need to start a thread for people to rip my work But I need a name.......any suggestions??

The Indiana Copper Tavern construction thread.....the I.C.T. baby

post #203 of 495 Old 02-10-2009, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Indiana Copper Tavern construction thread.....

Thats not bad actually.....I kind of like it. I was thinking some sort of copper named theme. Maybe Indiana Copper-Top or something along those lines......

post #204 of 495 Old 02-10-2009, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thats not bad actually.....I kind of like it. I was thinking some sort of copper named theme. Maybe Indiana Copper-Top or something along those lines......

What is the plan for the rest of your basement? was it already finished and your re-doing it or are you adding a theater to it ?

post #205 of 495 Old 02-10-2009, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What is the plan for the rest of your basement? was it already finished and your re-doing it or are you adding a theater to it ?

Yea...long story short. We bought the house it had half the basement finished ( the bigger side) and we used it for a family room. We had the xbox there and thats where my son and I hung out all the time. I had all my ND memorabilia ( a $&^# ton) all over. I was planning on building a bar (only) in this corner where i used to have my desk. I was searching for "bar plans" stumbled upon AVS and now I have built the bar, a half wall breakfast bar and a theater to come. I tore out an 11' wall where there was a poorly installed electric fireplace and made it sort of a cove for the theater seats. Now at first upon finding this site I thought i would just redo the one side and put up a nice flat screen and be done but now were(by were I mean me) talking atleast 120" screen. After a few weeks here I was sold by builds like yours and HeyNows and many others. I have lived on this damn site for 4 months now and am addicted to say the least. But yes it was all finished, carpeted etc. I have tore carpet out of part of it where the bar is. All in all AVS has cost me and saved me a ton of cash in 4 months..

post #206 of 495 Old 02-10-2009, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

By lived here you can tell as this is my 500th post. Damn I ask alot of questions. The one thing that is for sure is that mine will be not be in the same league as 95% of what I have seen here as I dont have that kind of cash in these economic times and the fact that I live in the RV capital of the world......which equals unemployed!! Oh well it has to get better .......right???? LOL

post #207 of 495 Old 02-10-2009, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

By lived here you can tell as this is my 500th post. Damn I ask alot of questions. The one thing that is for sure is that mine will be not be in the same league as 95% of what I have seen here as I dont have that kind of cash in these economic times and the fact that I live in the RV capital of the world......which equals unemployed!! Oh well it has to get better .......right???? LOL

They can take away our homes and jobs but they can't take away the pride of building it ourselves at least that's what I try and fool myself into believing anyway...

post #208 of 495 Old 02-10-2009, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Well as long as I keep the wife going to work every day then things will be fine....I can count this as a really long vacation. That is part of the reason I decided to start now as I have a ton of free time. The job market here is insanely bad....our local unemployment for our county is almost 16%. Businesses are closing daily around here and the future is gloomy right now. So I am making the best of things by building a bar/theater...lol

post #209 of 495 Old 02-11-2009, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok update time. I cut 2 more test caps (4 total) and I think I have the one I like. I used one of the bad ones to test stain and I have good news. I used wood conditioner and let it sit for 5 mins or so (the official peice I will leave a bit longer) then wiped excess off then used the stain. I stained the entire peice and let it sit 5 mins or so. I wiped the excess and it all matches nearly 100% the one thing I will do differently is I will not let the stain sit as long on the top (end grain) as long as I do on the side of the cap because on my test peice the top was a little darker but not much and since my drip tray is multi-color (bomber jacket like) it actually looks decent with it. So FULL STEAM AHEAD my friend!!!

post #210 of 495 Old 02-11-2009, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Ok update time. I cut 2 more test caps (4 total) and I think I have the one I like. I used one of the bad ones to test stain and I have good news. I used wood conditioner and let it sit for 5 mins or so (the official peice I will leave a bit longer) then wiped excess off then used the stain. I stained the entire peice and let it sit 5 mins or so. I wiped the excess and it all matches nearly 100% the one thing I will do differently is I will not let the stain sit as long on the top (end grain) as long as I do on the side of the cap because on my test peice the top was a little darker but not much and since my drip tray is multi-color (bomber jacket like) it actually looks decent with it. So FULL STEAM AHEAD my friend!!!

What wood conditioner did you use? Any pictures? I am doing mine this weekend and would like to get a game plan ready.

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page