My Basement Project - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-02-2008, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well, after waiting a year to be sure the basement of my new home is dry, and following these boards for inspiration, I am ready to embark on finishing my basement. This will be the third basement I've finished, so hopefully I don't make the same mistakes I have in the past, though I am sure new ones will surface! I'll take some photos of the space and post them as soon as I figure out the optimal way to post the photos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2008, 06:18 AM

Liked: 10
Davboy - Congrats on starting your thread, looking forward to following it.

Photobucket works well for posting pictures and is easy to use, it also accepts pics from your phone if you need to take a shot of something at a store or what not.

The Copper Pub /Corey Lane Cinema

"Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to exit the donut." IRONMAN 2
Old 10-02-2008, 06:58 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by davboy View Post

I'll take some photos of the space and post them as soon as I figure out the optimal way to post the photos.

Photobucket. Free. Upload original files as is, they resize automatically. Then insert links ([img].......[/img) in the text of a post and Bam! they are there.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
How long does Photobucket leave the pictures available? I hate it when people post pics and then the link doesn't work because the pic is gone.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
Old 10-02-2008, 10:39 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 722
The only ones of mine that are gone are the ones I've deleted. I suspect that if the owner of the album is active, they stay "forever".
Old 10-02-2008, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the quick input on Photobucket. I set up an account and am messing around with it. Thanks!
Old 10-02-2008, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

I finished framing the first wall. Doesn't sound like much, but it is the wall dividing the mechanicals and the living space. It involved a rough opening for a door, and the dry bar will back up to it as well. I feel good about the progress made, but my feet are killing me, damn that soft desk job I have! Also, we have way too much junk hanging around in the basement. It's frustrating moving it around when I know in the end most of it will be pitched out anyway.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Uploaded some photos to Photobucket, so giving it a whirl....here's a picture of the house, and the foundation plan (the space being finished)

Old 10-02-2008, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Here is the current set up we have in the family room.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

And here is the basement as it exists today. Wish we had not put a thing down there!!

Old 10-02-2008, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

And finally, today's progress.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

Note all the water supply lines, electrical conduit, and gas lines are mounted under the floor joists. Very frustrating. I'm torn between re-running all of then through the joist, framing the ceiling, or simply doing a suspended ceiling. My wife would like it to be all dry wall, and I am not a fan of suspended ceilings myself, even the very nice one's from Armstrong, though I sure do like the access they provide. At this point I'm thinking I'm going to frame it out, as it is sufficiently high that dropping it 4" won't have any impact.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

semilocal build, I'll be following this one! good luck!
Old 10-03-2008, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Assuming you need to create new water taps/zones for the basement, might make sense to either do it yourself or hire a plumber. Took a plumber with his assistant 1 day to redo all my pipes and do a new set of copper and PVC.

I would think that work might be worth it, compared to a) losing 4 inches and b) having to purchase studs for running new ceiling joists.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Was able to build one wall today. Unfortunately spent the morning running some errands, and this evening went to the High School football game. I framed one of the walls in the room the pool table will be in. This wall will have a modest flat panel and two in wall speakers primarily or music. All media will be supplied by the rack that will house the system for the kids as it's a shorter run than from where the other gear will be located.

I'm really loving the digital measuring device I ordered from Amazon! Makes one person measuring a breeze, and very accurate! Also noticed a conduit provided by the builder from the basement to the attic space. Think I'll drop some coaxial from the attic so I can send feeds from an antenna for HD to the basement.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Here's a photo of the measuring device.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Here's a very rough layout of the pool table room.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

Before you put more walls up, have you considered some form of polystyrene insulation against the basement walls?

Read here, plus the links:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=997968

And this:
http://www.buildingscienceconsulting...ns/default.htm

You may want to hold off framing until you decide if you want to do any of this.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for excellent insulating link! I was going to have the insulation blown in with expanding foam, but this article may have convinced me to used the boards. I can see in your thread how time consuming that was after all the framing, though it looks like you did a terrific job. Thanks!

Not too much progress yesterday, mostly laying out the future bathroom in preparation for framing that area in, and moving a bunch of junk to the storage spaces or upstairs. I have a birthday party to go to today, plus the Bears AND White Sox are on, so not much happening today!
Old 10-05-2008, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
that pool table taking up too much room you sure you want that

Current Projects:
IN PROGRESS (80%) - Building 3D Theater room.
IN PROGRESS (30%) - Building Lounge/Hallway Area.
IN PROGRESS (15%) - Building Home LAN (4 PCs).
ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
Old 10-05-2008, 11:50 AM

if you don't want that pool table, if it is taking up too much room, I'll take it
Old 10-05-2008, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc View Post

that pool table taking up too much room you sure you want that

The plan that has the pool table is not the whole space, it's only the pool table room, which will just have a flat panel and a couple of speakers. The more serious theater portion of the basement is going in the space that has the bouncing horse in the photos. If I gave up the pool table, I may have to turn that space over to a doll house room or something of the sort, so it's not going anywhere!!
Old 10-05-2008, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntrm View Post

Before you put more walls up, have you considered some form of polystyrene insulation against the basement walls?

Read here, plus the links:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=997968

And this:
http://www.buildingscienceconsulting...ns/default.htm

You may want to hold off framing until you decide if you want to do any of this.

Went and bought 20 sheets of rigid foam insulation as a start, and have one wall up, thanks!!! What tape do you use to seal the joints? Would House wrap tape be effective?
Old 10-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Well, I wish I had an answer based on experience. But, keep in mind I had my frames up before I put in the polystyrene. I ended up putting the polystyrene in 14.5in wide sheets, then Great Stuffing to seal between each of the studs.

Wish I was smarter on it - it will go into the thread of "what would I do differently next time" in the Dedicated HT Forum.

This says foil tape: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum..._download/file

Then, just use basic construction glue for putting the panels against the concrete wall. After frames are up, all mechancials are complete, use R-13 between the joists.

BTW, you are saving lot more $$ by going this route and avoiding blow-in insulation that may not even comply to proper building standards for basements.

Check out my signature for my entire basement thread. Just got finished hanging base board, now on to crown moulding.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntrm View Post

Well, I wish I had an answer based on experience. But, keep in mind I had my frames up before I put in the polystyrene. I ended up putting the polystyrene in 14.5in wide sheets, then Great Stuffing to seal between each of the studs.

Wish I was smarter on it - it will go into the thread of "what would I do differently next time" in the Dedicated HT Forum.

This says foil tape: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum..._download/file

Then, just use basic construction glue for putting the panels against the concrete wall. After frames are up, all mechancials are complete, use R-13 between the joists.

BTW, you are saving lot more $$ by going this route and avoiding blow-in insulation that may not even comply to proper building standards for basements.

Check out my signature for my entire basement thread. Just got finished hanging base board, now on to crown moulding.

I have read through your thread and am very impressed! I misspoke when I wrote blow in insulation, meant spray on, similar to that featured in this link:
http://www.energyefficientsolutions.com/sprayfoam.asp
However, your post made me reconsider, and it is much, much cheaper! Thanks again!!
Old 10-06-2008, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Gotcha. I also looked at something after I realized my mistake of first framing - Tiger Foam - http://www.tigerfoam.com/.

The cost would've been something like $800 x 2 based on my calculations. Was no-brainer to avoid it!
Old 10-07-2008, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter

Took the suggestions and am putting foam board up on all the foundation walls.

Also bought some R-13 to put up in the frame wall separating the mechanical room to quiet the basement down a bit while I'm working on it. Making progress!
Old 10-08-2008, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Still gluing rigid insulation to the foundation walls and waiting to be sure all the glue is dry. I am wondering if I should build a proscenium or not in from of my screen wall. I would not necessarily be doing it for ascthetics, but rather to act as a base trap after it is filled with sand. However, I'm not sure a base trap is necessary as the sub will be on the basement slab. Are ther other benfits to a proscenium that I am missing? I'll post some update photos tonight. Getting the storage places squared away and am gradually migrating all the junk into them.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

This a great thread on stages. Best reason I found in this: keeps kids away from the screen!

Good Stage Discussion
Old 10-08-2008, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Here are some photos of the progress. The first photo is of the wall the screen will be on. The water main enters the home on this wall, which you can see on the lower right hand side of the wall. I'll be building a false wall just in front of the pipe< which is three feet from the back wall. I've seen several examples in AVS of theaters with a Plasma or LCD hung on the wall for everyday use, and then a motorized screen for creating the theater environment. Are any motorized screens AT screens?

This is the wall the dry bar will be built against in the Pool room. All the mechanicals and a large storage area are behind the wall.