Bergen family theater build thread. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 10-15-2008, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK so I have been lurking on these threads for a little over a year and scavenging ideas for our dedicated basement bar/theater room. I started with a storage room that was also a makeshift workshop and utility room, as well as a hallway and a room that was set up for laundry but used for a freezer and fridge. I gutted both areas and began framing and wiring up the space. My goals for the space are to have a dedicated media room for movies, gaming and television and a wet bar for my wife and our friends and family. The space is approximately 11'x19' for the theater area with the bar off 1 side which is about 6'x6' plus a walkway.

I started the project last winter while I was on a lay off/parental leave with my son. I got the demo and most off the framing done as well as 90% of the electrical and about 75% of the drywall put up.

I have all the speaker wire and video cable in the walls and a dedicated AV cabinet beside the bar.

As I will be done at my current job as a Chef at the end of this week, I am taking 2 weeks holidays before I start my new job as a Marketing Associate for a large food service company. My wife and I decided that rather than go away on holiday we would take this opportunity to hopefully finish the room.

We purchased all the drywall we will need as well as dricore panels for the floor and wood laminate flooring. So the plan is a full throttle 2 week build/wrap up of the room.

Equipment List:
Xbox 360
Playstation 3
Starchoice HD satellite
Nuance towers for front left and right
Nuance center (to be replaced with something better)
Nuance surrounds for rear left and right
HD projector to be puchased
Receiver (to be purchased looking for suggestions)
Subwoofer (being built)
Universal remote (undecided will ask for feedback suggestions)

If I can find a matching pair of Nuance surrounds for sides I will add them as the room is wired for 7.1. I am thinking of doing a Dayton Titanic 12" sub or similar as the bang for the buck sounds pretty good to me but I am open to suggestions. Also I will probably build my own center with a kit or parts and plans from Parts Express. The receiver I am after needs to do 7.1 and upconvert over HDMI, with Dolby True HD and DTS HD MA. If it did 2 zones that would be a bonus. In my area Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, Pioneer and Harmon Kardon are available. And finally, universal remote. Update: I saw this Unify4Life http://www.unify4life.com/ sounds pretty good, I did just get a blackberry.

I will post some pics tonight after my little guy is in bed.

Gamer Tag/PSN dubstylesmkIII
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-15-2008, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Readers would appreciate seeing the pics in your thread (just sign up for free www.photobucket.com account and copy img files) instead of having to click on each jpg.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old 10-15-2008, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Here are some photos.

post #4 of 18 Old 01-16-2009, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

I have finished the drywall and am nearly done the mudding. Just need to finish sanding. Update. The 50" plasma idea is out and a projector will now be doing the video duties. I would like to go 1080p but the budget may only allow 720p. Also I will build some columns around the screen. It appears that I will be able to go with about 100" 16x9 screen size.

post #5 of 18 Old 01-16-2009, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Great choice on the projector over the plasma. You'll never look back .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 Old 01-17-2009, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 View Post

Great choice on the projector over the plasma. You'll never look back .

Yes we decided that since we already have a 46" tv in our living room that we use for watch tv and stuff on that we didn't really need another tv watching room. Also if we decide to we can always mount a flat panel to the wall behind the screen, as I have already wired it for that. There is component and hdmi as well as power right behind where the panel would mount.

post #7 of 18 Old 01-17-2009, 06:43 AM

nice work, cant wait to see this done

Spray Foam Insulation FTS!!
post #8 of 18 Old 05-12-2009, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

OK so I'm bumping this up to the top. I've been getting some ish done lately and this project is starting to really take shape. I'll post some pics tomorrow. Drywall is all but finished, except for a couple touch ups. I have the lighting and a coat of primer up on almost everything. Flooring is down. Paint and moldings in a week or two. I have been building a subwoofer for the room and have the frame built for the screen. I'm planning to stretch the BOC diy screen tomorrow. Lots of work but I'm getting close and can see the light at the end of the tunnel

post #9 of 18 Old 05-12-2009, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 34
T-Bay! Know it well. Port Arthur or Fort Williams side?

And please tell me you didn't leave your exterior walls uninsulated! Even us Yanks in the deep south (Twin Cities) need insulation!

post #10 of 18 Old 05-13-2009, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

In the country but Port Arthur side and I may be a bit inexperienced but I would would never not insulate. Deep South Ha. I don't think 300 miles= deep. Anyway stay tuned for some pics.

post #11 of 18 Old 05-13-2009, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

OK picture time.

This is a view from the stairs coming into the room.

This is a shot of the bar covered in tools and supplies. I'll be replacing the temporary top.

Here is a shot from the screen wall.

Again from near the stairs. You can see the exposed 2x4 where I am going to fill in the sloppy job of the soffits where I left a large opening near the window. You also can see the frame for the DIY screen. I plan to get the fabric on it tonight. I am starting to feel really good about getting this done and being able to use it. Or at least mostly done.

post #12 of 18 Old 05-13-2009, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Wow those photos I took are terrible. Anyway you get the idea. In case I haven't noted it the room is about 11'x20' plus the bar area which is about 8'x10'. The ceiling is about 10'in the basement so even the dropped portion is still 8' which from what I understand is pretty good ceiling height. I may take some more pics that don't blow tonight.

post #13 of 18 Old 05-13-2009, 03:58 PM

Looks like a fun space, keep up the good work!

What's your plan for the windows?? and the front stage area?? and what are you going to do with the walls? paint? acoustic treatments?? GOM??? and color pallet for the room??

Garen
post #14 of 18 Old 05-13-2009, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Painting the walls a darkish chocolate brown shade, ceiling will be cream. I know it should be black but I'll try this out first. The window behind the screen will be covered up likely with some fabric treatment. The other will probably just get some kind of treatment. No stage yet. I had thought of it but that may be a 1.5 revision down the road. I am going to build some frames for posters to hang under some of the wall washing lights, and probably going to do some rope lighting on the soffit.

post #15 of 18 Old 05-13-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridecolby View Post

Painting the walls a darkish chocolate brown shade, ceiling will be cream. I know it should be black but I'll try this out first. The window behind the screen will be covered up likely with some fabric treatment. The other will probably just get some kind of treatment. No stage yet. I had thought of it but that may be a 1.5 revision down the road. I am going to build some frames for posters to hang under some of the wall washing lights, and probably going to do some rope lighting on the soffit.

Sounds good! It doesn't have to be black, mines brown too and it works just fine...
post #16 of 18 Old 05-16-2009, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Got some stuff done yesterday. Not what I planned, but progress none the less. I started on the cabinets behind the bar and decided that we are going to do tile bar top, counter top, and back splash. My wife thinks that a projector is not the way to go. She wants to look at flat panels. I am still pro projector but she said she'd being buying it so who am I to argue with that. I am going to try to meet her half way and go 40" plasma or LCD and HD65 projector. That seems fair in my mind anyway. Will post some pics tonight if I get around to it.

post #17 of 18 Old 05-16-2009, 02:19 PM

Wow... Look like you have some 'space constraints' like I do. I got some ideas from your pic for my build. Thanks and great looking space so far..
post #18 of 18 Old 06-01-2009, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Well this kinda sucks but I put the house up for sale today. The room is very close to being done. Just paint and a bar top and baseboards to be done. Anyway the market here is pretty strong right now so we are going to sell and take some earned equity and pay some bills and get into a different house hopefully with some better space for a theater/games space. I would really like to enjoy this finished product but on to bigger better things hopefully.

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page