Kitchen audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-16-2008, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

I've been following a lot threads on this site lately.

I'm currently in the middle of a complete kitchen reno. I am looking for ideas on where to place my Onkyo 7.1ch amp. The depth of it is about 14.7" but my upper cabinets are only 12" deep. I can mount it in the lowers, but I was wondering if anyone else had any ideas? I can't find much on kitchen audio...I guess it's not the main concern of a kitchen, but to me it is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-16-2008, 08:23 AM
CJO
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
You are wanting surround sound in your kitchen? Wow, I thought I was going overboard with a inwall touchpanel and stereo sound!

Remember, you can place your amp anywhere you have adequate ventilation as long as you can get power there and can run speaker cables from there to the kitchen. I have my amp and associated gear in the basement. You can also look at a nearby coat closet or pantry. If you do place it remotely, also remember that you will probably want a way to control it without having to walk to that location all of the time.

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

The Dark Knight Theater
(a bunch of good reference links and material in first 15 posts)
post #3 of 8 Old 10-16-2008, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Now there's a dedicated audio enthusiast.

Careful with dust, and make sure you leave enough ventilation space. If it winds up in the lower cabinets make absolutely sure it's a dry environment 100% of the time.

Frank

Frank Oesterheld
post #4 of 8 Old 10-16-2008, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

haha, everyone I mention this to thinks I'm crazy. I have seen numerous people with junky undercabinet mounted clock radios and wonder how they can listen to that junk. I don't see how an added $100 of speaker wiring will ever hurt me and it will sound so much better. I'm also going to have a 17" TV somewhere (I sold this to the wife by saying she could see recipes and cooking shows on it ).

I may end up having to place it in a lower cabinet or pantry. It will be dry all of the time. Unfortunately I have cut the wires to be mounted in an upper cabinet. Guess I'll have some soldering work to do.

I'd prefer to keep the amp in the kitchen so that I don't have to deal with IR repeater kits and what not. I don't want this to get to the point where I should be adding a screen and projector
post #5 of 8 Old 10-16-2008, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Hum... 7.1 kitchen audio... Doing the dishes and you hear the left surround dominating the audio, go over to the frig and its bass from the sub-woofer, standing by the stove and you hear the center channel dominate.
Seriously, your going to have to push cooling air through the lower cabinet. That air is going to contain grease, dust and moisture when the kitchen is in use. Here at work for environments like that we use sealed 19" racks with lots of temperature controlled fans and all incoming air is passed through paper and charcoal filters, the paper gets rid of the particles and the charcoal removes the grease vapors. Have you considered putting the equipment outside of the kitchen environment and controlling it with a RF universal controller? Another alternative is to get your cooling air from another room that isn't ladened with bacon grease in the morning!

Human perception is not a direct consequence of reality, but rather an act of imagination. - Michael Faraday
post #6 of 8 Old 10-16-2008, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdputnam View Post

Hum... 7.1 kitchen audio... Doing the dishes and you hear the left surround dominating the audio, go over to the frig and its bass from the sub-woofer, standing by the stove and you hear the center channel dominate.
Seriously, your going to have to push cooling air through the lower cabinet. That air is going to contain grease, dust and moisture when the kitchen is in use. Here at work for environments like that we use sealed 19" racks with lots of temperature controlled fans and all incoming air is passed through paper and charcoal filters, the paper gets rid of the particles and the charcoal removes the grease vapors. Have you considered putting the equipment outside of the kitchen environment and controlling it with a RF universal controller? Another alternative is to get your cooling air from another room that isn't ladened with bacon grease in the morning!

The amp will probably be running in All channel stereo mode most of the time.

I don't do greasy cooking. I haven't had anything in my cabinets get greasy unless I use them, but I will keep the relocation idea in mind.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-17-2008, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i definitely don't think it's crazy to add nice stereo to your kitchen (i added stereo to our bathroom...2ch. receiver + in ceiling speakers), but i would personally save the 7.1 receiver for another room. if you have no use for it anywhere else...go for it, but you can pick up a decent 2ch. receiver for less than $200 and at least not be wasting the extra features and function of that larger receiver.

if you have to place the receiver in the under cabinets, it is not going to be convienient there anymore than in a nearby closet.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-17-2008, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmorr View Post

Hey guys,

I've been following a lot threads on this site lately.

I'm currently in the middle of a complete kitchen reno. I am looking for ideas on where to place my Onkyo 7.1ch amp. The depth of it is about 14.7" but my upper cabinets are only 12" deep. I can mount it in the lowers, but I was wondering if anyone else had any ideas? I can't find much on kitchen audio...I guess it's not the main concern of a kitchen, but to me it is

Our upper cabs are 16" deep and lowers are 24" deep. If you are going custom, just have them make the uppers deeper. They look better that way.

I have 8" in-ceiling speakers in my kitchen and use them a lot. My receiver - actually mulit-room pre-amp and amps are in another location and controlled via touchpads. Only Source I use is an AppleTV box that is controlled wirelessly (two-way) by and ipod touch. Works Great and I can see what is playing and choose playlists from the iPod Touch. Any thought to locating equipment elsewhere?
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page