Building House: Soliciting 3rd Flr HT Room Feedback (incl. PDF & pics) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-10-2008, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Everyone,

We are currently building a house. The builder has just broke ground on the foundation and this is a spec home with some customizations. We're pretty limited on any framing changes so the 3rd floor game room will be built as indicated.

A floor plan is attached in PNG format as well as PDF. The pictures below are from the model home in the community to give a sense of natural lighting and ceiling height. I'm debating on whether to pay the wiring company $65 per speaker drop (7.1 system) plus $35 trim out for speaker pair or just have them install the conduit and I run all wiring and install wall plates myself.

Here's my initial questions:
  1. Front speakers pushed wide to clear attic door (L) and subwoofer (R.) Will this adversely affect stereo imaging?
  2. A/C unit is fairly quiet but open to any noise reduction strategies
  3. Should sub be placed on floor or on bench seat for maximum corner placement?
  4. Planning to install myself an electrically operated color-matched vinyl roll-down light-blocking shade. Model suggestions? Needs to be IR-remote controllable.
  5. Planning for 3" conduit installed under window seat framing, attic-to-attic. Wire will be pulled myself. Tips/tricks?
  6. Any other comments/suggestions?

For those who have Visio and wish to make modifications in order to explain to me, I've included a Visio link:
http://vbalak.oplink.net/vk_ht.vsd

VK_3rd_flr_ht_lounge.pdf 75.6474609375k . file
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-10-2008, 05:20 PM

greetings. i don't have any suggestions but i'm subscribing to this thread b/c we're buying a house in December and the room i'm going to use for my HT has very similar dimensions. it's actually 21x16 so it's just slightly bigger. it's funny but i was planning a very similar layout with a sectional, but we're going to get a foldout and try to put a bar -type table with bar stools behind the sofa for extra seating.

how much space where you figuring on either side of the sectional? also, may i ask what program you used to draw that up?

best of luck in your build!

rob
post #3 of 11 Old 11-10-2008, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Rob,

I used Microsoft Visio 2003 to create the picture. It has all these handy templates for construction, furniture, etc. If you do get the program, feel free to download my .vsd file and use it as a starting point for your template. I actually created the room dimensions to scale by using a builder-provided JPG floor plan, then using it as a background picture, scaling it up so that it matched the scale of the main room which I knew was 15'x19' and added on rooms from there.

That's a great idea to put up a narrow sofa table and put up bar stools to watch a movie. Only problem might be the folks sitting at the bar stools might get tired backs after a full movie. We thought about a pull-out sofa (I believe that's what you mean by "foldout") but figured a daybed would be more comfortable for one person and allow us to not compromise on the couch comfort. We might go with a curved couch instead of an "L" couch.
post #4 of 11 Old 11-11-2008, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks like you are going to a lot of time, trouble and expense to create a nice viewing room - electrical roll down window shades - very nice touch and also a lot of thought and expense into a sound system with a lot of speakers.

Please understand that following is not intended as criticism but to share our personal experiences which causes us to ask that you seriously consider stepping up from a television room to creation of Theater in the Home which just can't be done with any tv on the consumer market today.

We have a very nice and pricey 56in HD 1080p television - take my word - it is simply not capable of providing a Home Theater experience - No Way - No How - HT and TV only go together in the spin of the retailers that want you to buy a television.

We learned by experience that a good and basic definition of "Home Theater" is the creation in one's home of a system that will as near as possible provide viewers the visual experience of a commercial Theater/Cinema - that is, when the lights go down and the BIG screen illuminates everyone sitting in the room goes "WOW, this is just like being at the movies!!!"

We learned that the most important component is Visual - sound is also important but secondary to achieving true Theater in the Home experience.

Looks like your room is perfect size and your wall with the tv cabinet more than big enough for a decent sized Home Theater screen. Have you considered a flat and maybe wall mounted television for casual tv viewing so that a screen can lower from the ceiling when it's time for Home Theater??

An electric roll down screen capable of providing a 10 ft or larger idagonal image will be a lot more fun than electric roll down window shades.

Saying all of the above, again, not to criticize but to urge you while you are in the planning stages to think of what will produce a Theater like WOW experience instead of investing a lot of time and money for just television -we think our television is GREAT - it just isn't capable of any kind of Theater experience - we know cause we have that little 56in TV side-by-side with our projector and screen and the projector equals Theater - all of our family and friends agree.
goodluck with your wonderful new home and TV room.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-11-2008, 09:30 AM

imjay do you ever post anything besides "get a screen and not a tv"?
post #6 of 11 Old 11-11-2008, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

imjay thanks for the suggestion....I have read several other threads where a PJ is suggested over a TV. That being said, I think for now we'll just run conduit in the ceiling (flat ceiling so there is a true roof above and a shallow space between) from the front attic space so we have the option of a projector later. Our house is due for completion in March/April and with all the other expenses like appliances and furniture, we'll have to gradually build up the home theater.

Right now I'll use my Hitachi 57S500 CRT RPTV behemoth and the 5.1 system I already have initially, then build up all the good stuff later next year.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-12-2008, 12:50 PM

looks nice. Just a quick suggestion. We used the window seats as secondary storage. That is we framed the seat out as a box and put a hinged lid on the top (I've also seen it where people have put shelves or baskets under the seat part.) This is a cool way to get hidden storage (comes in handy when we need to clean up the kids toys).

In terms of screen. Well a 100" screen is going to look cooler than a 60" screen all other things being equal but you still need to have control of ambient light etc. It looks like you have left yourself room to upgrade so your set either way. In a couple of years they will be giving projectors away so holding on to your current setup as long as you can tolerate it is probably a good way to go

For extra seating you can use the bar idea or you can use directors chairs since they have back and can be had in several heights and fold away when you don't need them.

K
post #8 of 11 Old 11-12-2008, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, the missus and I have been talking and projection certainly is an option in the next couple of years. We might even go microdisplay RPTV now to maximize size/cost ratio for now if we go for a good 1080p projector a bit later.

Window seat option would be great but I believe the building plan has A/C ducts and other electrical going the full length inside that window seat. I also got a quote from the low-voltage wiring company. 2" conduit is the most they can run so that should be plenty for rear speaker wires and possibly an HDMI cable, right?
post #9 of 11 Old 11-12-2008, 01:35 PM

Cool. 2" conduit should be fine. A quick tip is if possible have them install the conduit with the fish line already in it so you don't have to play vacuum the cotton ball.
post #10 of 11 Old 11-12-2008, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

I'll ask them but can't you get one of those fish-wire reels at Home Depot with the handle that can push stiff wire through the conduit and drag the pull-string with it?
post #11 of 11 Old 12-19-2008, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quick update - they installed the conduit and indeed included a fish line in it and taped off at the end already. I went ahead payed them to install a 2nd full conduit in the ceiling from the front attic to the back with a low-voltage box at about 13' for the projector HDMI cable.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page