Endeavor Media Parlor build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 72 Old 11-23-2008, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17

Endeavor Media Parlor build

Well, here we go. I love movies and love home theater. I have always enjoyed how film makers can tell so many stories in so many different ways using incredible techniques and technology. The desire to have my own theater seems to be a symptom of many things, not the least of which is being a techno-geek fond of all things AV with pretty buttons and lights.

I would say I started getting fairly serious about this stuff when I got a used surplus LCD projector and threw a 96" image up on my basement wall in 2005. I was instantly addicted to large format video entertainment. I also helped "ecrabb" with his dedicated theater build, which undoubtedly elevated my affliction of high level AV. I currently have realistic barriers (thank God) that prevent me from going crazy with this home theater stuff... first, limited budget (which most of us face) and limited space which as a result of living in a 1960's split foyer with no practical place for a dedicated home theater. So I've done as much as I could over the years with both of these limits in place.

The build begins last winter, but first lets take a look at what I was up against and the general vision for the space.

BEFORE

Here are dimensions...

and what I was thinking I should do to the room… gut the place, add wood-burning stove, Murphy bed, and a screen wall with credenza.

This thread will be dedicated to documenting my progress on the build until completion. I will follow with a series of photos that will bring us up to date.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 Old 11-23-2008, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Tearing into the room I discovered there is actually drywall behind the paneling on the frame portion of the wall and nothing but lathe behind the paneling over the knee-wall. I guess insulation over the concrete block was too much to ask in 1967... sure made the basement cold and drafty. The drywall needs a bit of work too.

To help with the always-cold basement I built an insulated frame wall in front of the concrete block all away around the basement.

The frame wall was just a bit higher than the top of the knee-wall, so I was able to run all the cable for the AV in the chase.

Here's the closet behind the screen wall. It provided a great place to run all the cable from that chase and into the future credenza on the other side. (I know this could have been a great opportunity for an AT screen, but I wasn't ready to deal with that on this project... maybe next time.)

In that same closet I wired a "power patch" from the male plug here to the projector location... this way I can hook it up to the APC Power Conditioner and UPS.

post #3 of 72 Old 11-23-2008, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

So, now I have installed the tile for the stove harth (obtaining the tile was a whole disaster story by itself) and the stove is in place... too bad it was in the heat of the summer, so I couldn't (didn't want to) test it out.

Thanks again to 1967 construction practices... there were door rough openings everwhere downstairs... there could have been 5 doors in a less than 100 sqft area. So, widened the unnecessary ones and raised/removed the headers... a lot of work, but it really opened things up... and provided lots of fun with drywall.

Here's a shot with much of the drywall complete, except for above the stove... saved the best for last [eye-roll]. Also see on the far wall (left) I cut a new return air duct to alternate with the one right below it at floor level... the one on top will be utilized in the winter when the stove is running to pull the hot air out of the room and move it to the rest of the house.

post #4 of 72 Old 11-23-2008, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Well, a lot has happened from the last post (at least how the story goes). I have finished all the wiring (HDMI, VGA, speaker, coax, RJ-45), completed drywall, textured the walls, knocked down the popcorn texture on the ceiling, installed 4" Halo recessed down-lights, painted the walls (color "Broadway" by Ralph Lauren) and ceiling (color "Traditional" by Ralph Lauren)

Next I focused on the flooring. The floor is concrete, so I decided to put down DriCore product to make the finished floor a bit warmer. This wasn't too bad of a process, but you sure find out how level or not level (as the case may be) your floor is. DriCore was a great decision in my opinion.

And there is also the tile in the walkway from the stairs/garage door to the bathroom/utility room that looked like this...

I replaced it with Sunderland Sechemia tile "Broadway", a great improvement

Next, the carpet went in... Stainmaster Sophisticate in "Chivalry" color...

post #5 of 72 Old 11-23-2008, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Well, here we are at present condition. Still lots to do... install the walnut plywood wainscoting, trim the windows, install wall coverings, build Murphy bed, construct built-in bookcases, and the list goes on.

Next on the list is a new toy! I finally replaced my Sony VPL-X1000U XGA projector that I got from a surplus sale a few years ago. My new Panasonic AX200 is supposed to be delivered tomorrow, so all work will stop so I can get a chance to mount and view some HD in "The Parlor".
post #6 of 72 Old 12-05-2008, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Well, the Panny AX200 came and it is great! A major upgrade from my Sony. I also picked up this great mount, DH400, from Beam-up. Nice anodized aluminum with dual ball joints giving optimum adjustability. It worked VERY well since I wanted to mount it to a horizontal surface (wall mounted walnut cantilever).

post #7 of 72 Old 12-06-2008, 12:22 PM

Liked: 10
post #8 of 72 Old 12-06-2008, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
place is looking great already. Funny thing is, in about 20-30 years were gonna look back at our new pics/upgrades and upgrade to something else, stating something like.....

dated 2008 big screen on wall with such and such floor. Time for the new Home Theater 6.0 via wireless chip hooked into the brain with the holographic/solid room that changes every day.

Keep up the good work

Mike's attempt at a Theater

DIY motorized masking system

"Name?" Shropshire Slasher
"Occupation?" Shropshire Slasher
post #9 of 72 Old 12-06-2008, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys! Yeah, you're not kidding Wazzey... upgrades are a continuous thing. It is really funny when there is a 40 year difference in trends to compare.
post #10 of 72 Old 12-23-2008, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

A little more progress... I installed the track lighting from USA Light & Electric. It is a four foot track with three compact "Universal" heads that accept R20 floods.

I also installed three Insteon SwitchLinc V2 600w Dimmers (black paddles/cover plate with blue light pipe replacement). Top will control the seating area down lights, middle will control the under ledge (at top of knee-wall) rope light, and bottom will control the track lighting in the future Murphy bed area of the basement. The Insteon choice is for future upgrade of remote lighting control... I don't even have an Insteon controller yet. I'm thinking about eventually trying out the Insteon Central Controller that works with the iPod Touch.

The wall isn't painted black yet, but when it is, the switches will all but disappear. Oh yeah, they are installed vertically so I can maximize my screen width.
post #11 of 72 Old 12-23-2008, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Crap....it's about time you get to work on this thing....what the HE** have you been doing...It's not like you have anything else going on in your life tight now.

Looks great!! Soon you'll be down there watching Sleeping Beauty with Sleeping Beauty!!

Understanding the unexplainable"
post #12 of 72 Old 12-24-2008, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey alpha View Post

Crap....it's about time you get to work on this thing....what the HE** have you been doing...It's not like you have anything else going on in your life tight now.

Looks great!! Soon you'll be down there watching Sleeping Beauty with Sleeping Beauty!!

Yeah, I don't know how I'll actually get anything done in the next 18 years... unless it is while sleep-walking. I know all the work will pay off big time when she is old enough to appreciate some Pixar or Disney flicks!

PS. Thanks for the package you sent... it's fantasitc! Big thanks to Jen too!
post #13 of 72 Old 12-26-2008, 08:12 AM

I really like the color choices on both the paint and the tile, really warms the room up. Can't wait to see the finished product, keep up the good work!
post #14 of 72 Old 12-26-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnoringMyWife View Post

Endeavor Media Parlor build

Well, here we go. I love movies and love home theater. I really enjoy films in a movie house on the big screen, but am annoyed by movie-goers who talk during the movies, cell phones ringing during the movie, the price of popcorn/candy, and the price of tickets ok, that's enough whining. I have always enjoyed how film makers can tell so many stories in so many different ways using incredible techniques and technology. I'm probably as interested in cinematography as the story itself. The desire to have my own theater seems to be a symptom of many things, not the least of which is being a techno-geek fond of all things AV with pretty buttons and lights.

I would say I started getting fairly serious about this stuff when I got a used surplus LCD projector and threw a 96" image up on my basement wall in 2005. I was instantly addicted to large format video entertainment. I also helped "ecrabb" with his dedicated theater build, which undoubtedly elevated my affliction of high level AV. I currently have realistic barriers (thank God) that prevent me from going crazy with this home theater stuff... first, limited budget (which most of us face) and limited space which as a result of living in a 1960's split foyer with no practical place for a dedicated home theater. So I've done as much as I could over the years with both of these limits in place.

The build begins last winter, but first lets take a look at what I was up against and the general vision for the space.

Here are dimensions...

and what I was thinking I should do to the room gut the place, add wood-burning stove, Murphy bed, and a screen wall with credenza.

This thread will be dedicated to documenting my progress on the build until completion. I will follow with a series of photos that will bring us up to date.

I would like to draw up my room like this could you tell me how ? I would really aprrecuate it as it allows you to get a true feel for the space.
post #15 of 72 Old 12-27-2008, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabney View Post

I would like to draw up my room like this could you tell me how ? I would really aprrecuate it as it allows you to get a true feel for the space.

If you would like to do some 3D modeling/drawing, I would suggest Google's SketchUp (http://sketchup.google.com/product/newin7.html) which is IMHO the best FREE modeling software out there and it is really easy/intuitive to use. I would suggest checking out the video tutorials (http://sketchup.google.com/training/videos.html) to see what SketchUp can do. I have lots of fun using it to draw all sorts of stuff and has been valuable in working on all sorts of projects.
post #16 of 72 Old 12-27-2008, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedubbadoo View Post

I really like the color choices on both the paint and the tile, really warms the room up. Can't wait to see the finished product, keep up the good work!

Thanks deedubbadoo! The room IS much warmer with the color palette, and the insulated knee wall, Dricore subfloor, and stove makes it nice and toasty... literally.
post #17 of 72 Old 02-06-2009, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Not much has happened lately... with a new infant I learned that you really don't get much of anything accomplished except for diaper practice and learning new funny faces to get a little girl to grin. But regardless, I thought I'd throw a bone to anyone interested.

Here is the new image on the wall from the Panny AX200... and my poor components on the floor.

Here are 2 of the 4 tables I built for the couch. I welded up 1" square tube steel, had the steel powder-coated, and put some walnut plywood on top (same plywood that will be going over the knee-wall).

Now for some screenshots!! First, some color from the "Up" trailer...

Wall-E...

LOST...

Photo taken at the 2008 Offutt Airshow, Strike Eagle Exhaust

Photo taken in 2007 NYC, Surveying Benchmark

Hopefully more actually construction will take place soon. I'm really itchin to get the plywood up and get some of the trim started. Then the window coverings and it'll start looking like a finished room. After that I can focus on some equipment upgrades... specifically speakers.
post #18 of 72 Old 02-06-2009, 01:54 PM

Man...looks great! Love the colors, tile and make me a few of those table while your at it!
post #19 of 72 Old 08-26-2009, 01:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Hey! I remember this thread! Had to look it up after you mentioned at the course the other day.

cheers

If I had it to do all over again, I'd still hit that shot.
Ht Build

Poker table and bar
post #20 of 72 Old 08-26-2009, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffC View Post

Hey! I remember this thread! Had to look it up after you mentioned at the course the other day.

cheers

LOL. Yeah, I remember it too... barely. Actually, I've started on it again. Working on putting a finish coat on the walnut knee wall panels now that the kitchen is finished. I should be making some progress in the next couple months.
post #21 of 72 Old 08-26-2009, 07:26 PM

So, any updates? I apparently subscribed to this... I want my money's worth. :-D
post #22 of 72 Old 08-27-2009, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naarmraifo View Post

So, any updates? I apparently subscribed to this... I want my money's worth. :-D

OK, for all who need an update on the progress of my build.... First, as indicated previously, we have a little girl (now 9 months) and I've learned rather quickly that my time to work on projects is at least cut by 75%. Half of that wanting to play with her and the other half needing to be quite when she's sleeping (no hammering or saw blades). But that's really not an excuse, just reality.

The real hiccup came this spring when our dishwasher sprung a leak destroyed our kitchen floor and half of our base cabinets. So instead of taking the insurance money and just replacing those things (which would be difficult to match) we did a complete remodel on the kitchen. This included new: base cabinets, wall cabinets, custom pantry cabinet, subfloor, floor, plumbing, removal of soffits, electrical, and dishwasher (of course). Needless to say my time and money to be spent on the HT, now needed to be spent on the kitchen. Good thing my wife can cook!! Living without a kitchen for about 6 weeks was no fun.

So, now I have the time and a lighter wallet. I am working on putting a finish coat on the walnut knee wall panels and bought a bandsaw to resaw some of my walnut planks for doing trim. I should have some decent progress on the room in the next couple months. The upgrading of e-toys will have to wait a little while as I build the kiddy back up. I'll do my best to keep all of you who have an interest updated. Thanks!
post #23 of 72 Old 08-27-2009, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey ignoring where in Iowa do you live? I saw you had a pic from the 2008 offutt air show. 2009 one is coming up this Saturday and they are participating over my house right now. I live right next to Offutt.

Always Up for a Good Zombie Flick
post #24 of 72 Old 08-27-2009, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCableMan View Post

Hey ignoring where in Iowa do you live? I saw you had a pic from the 2008 offutt air show. 2009 one is coming up this Saturday and they are participating over my house right now. I live right next to Offutt.

I'm actually in Des Moines. I went to the show with some guys from here, including ecrabb from AVS forum. It was a great time, I hadn't been to Offutt in years. Cool, you're near Offutt... must be fun seeing the aircraft fly in and out. We'll have to look you up when we're out there next.
post #25 of 72 Old 08-27-2009, 08:13 PM

Thanks for the update! Sorry to hear you had some kitchen issues, but at least you got it all sorted out in the end.

Keep us updated if it doesn't take too much time away the daughter and family stuff!

-Zach
post #26 of 72 Old 10-04-2009, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, the kitchen remodel is essentially finished, so it's back to work on the theater. I spent quite a bit of time finishing the walnut panels for the knee-wall. Here's how they are lookin'...

I need to get this attached and work on dimensioning the raw walnut planks for the knee-wall ledge. The rope light will be attached to the underside of the ledge to wash the walnut panels in some nice light.
post #27 of 72 Old 10-05-2009, 05:40 PM

Really enjoyed reading this thread - glad its back! Nice work in there.

And if you didn't live in Iowa, I would swear that I made out in that original basement some time back in high school...
post #28 of 72 Old 10-06-2009, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuttman View Post

Really enjoyed reading this thread - glad its back! Nice work in there.

And if you didn't live in Iowa, I would swear that I made out in that original basement some time back in high school...

Thanks B. Working on a theater is much more fun than working on a kitchen.

There are probably tens of thousands of basements that looked exactly like that... they had very little home creativity in the late 60's... even with the drugs.
post #29 of 72 Old 10-07-2009, 11:42 AM

This looks great. Thanks for the inspiration for me to finish mine.

post #30 of 72 Old 10-18-2009, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, put up the panels in short order with an air nailer and brad nails. Now I'm working on the ledge. I have the walnut planks planed down and need to get them cut to length and figure out how to best attach a lip (this lip will hide the rope light) to the edge of the plank (since I have to join a few lengths together and make it look seamless).

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page