Fake basement windows? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-26-2008, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone know the best way to make these windows appear longer?
I was thinking of framing them as a full size windows and adding some kind of white glass with lights. Than covering the entire thing with plantation style wood shutters.

End result would look like this??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Spray Foam Insulation FTS!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-26-2008, 12:57 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Make it bigger, make it safer: Although it is not required in your part of the universe you should think of your families safety if they are going to spend a lot of time in the basement.

http://www.basementsystems.com/basem...indow_well.php

JEFF PARKINSON

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:
post #3 of 6 Old 12-26-2008, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
The best way to make a window appear to be larger then you can as you suggest frame it out and then put louvers, shutters, or drapes the full length to make the window "appear" to be larger.

I think the DIY network/website has something on this too. It was one of their shows I saw the idea.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #4 of 6 Old 12-26-2008, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
JonyHouse,
Here's what I did on all 3 basement windows. I added a 15W flourescent light tied in to the 3 way switch for the stairs. I don't have the louvered shutters installed permanently just yet (priming/painting in progress...), but took a couple of shots to give you an idea of what it looks like. During the day, it gives the feel of a full window. At night, it creates a warm glow and accents the windows. The top of the window will get about a 6" curtain or a valance (as my wife calls it)

post #5 of 6 Old 12-26-2008, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Javatime, Thanks for the pics! Exactly what I was going for.
What size did you make the "window"?
I was thinking of making the whole thing 32"x42"

Spray Foam Insulation FTS!!
post #6 of 6 Old 12-26-2008, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
The inside finished dimensions are 31"W x 40"L. The shutters are 28"x28-1/2". I originally wanted the shutters a little smaller in length, but Lowes had 3 on clearance before I started the framing, so I grabbed them. I'm glad I did go bigger.

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page