Cooling Closet with vent and thermostat - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-06-2009, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I have searched and searched and searched for a link on this website that I once saw before.....It was for a vent that one could put into a door or wall with small fans in it that sucked the air out of the media closet, it was activated by a thermostat....it was found on ebay for like $60 or something like that.

Anyone know what I am talking about?

Here is my situation.....I have my tv and sound system up on the wall, with all the cords running to a linen closet turned media closet....so its in the middle of my hallway...The door to the closet is only about 2' wide and is oak in color, so I plan putting this vent cooling system that i am referring to up top in the door.

If you dont know what product I am talking about up top, any ideas for other solutions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-06-2009, 10:05 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 735
If you google cabinet fan you will find some hits.

here is one:

http://www.smarthome.com/8734FCC/Cab...AB-COOL/p.aspx

Just checked and if you search for cabinet fan on EB you will see some alternatives at the price you remember.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-06-2009, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 39
post #4 of 10 Old 01-08-2009, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 74
FHT123,

I built a generic bathroom vent fan into the wall of my EQ closet, and used an adjustable high temp switch (for an attic vent fan) to turn it on automatically whenever the temp hits ~80 degrees.

If I were to do it over again I would have spent the extra money for one of the Panasonic "whisper Quiet fans"

http://www.irawoods.com/Shop-by-Bran...FSJIagod-Wc-Cg

Hope this helps?

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #5 of 10 Old 01-09-2009, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I gutted a closet to use as my new AV closet. I used a QTXEN110 Nutone Ultra Quiet Exhaust Fan/ Silent Fan (~$100) in the ceiling and I have a floor vent to draw cold air from under my crawlspace if needed. Not sure what your setup is but mine works great and is VERY quiet.

Ceiling:

Floor vent:

post #6 of 10 Old 01-10-2009, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all for the help...I have decided to go with cool components...seems like what i was looking for...thanks again!
post #7 of 10 Old 01-12-2009, 04:06 PM

Great pics and setup!

Do you vent the air to the outside via a tube or do you just vent it into the empty space above the drywall?

I am considering the same type of setup and have been wondering if I need to vent out the air in the same manner as a bathroom fan (via a tube to the outdoors) or if I could get away with just venting into the wall space.

Thanks!

David
post #8 of 10 Old 04-17-2009, 10:32 PM

Wow... Some very nice equipment out there!!

When you vent any part of your interior to a part of your house (attic, garage, etc.) that is not climate controlled, you do a huge dis-service to your A/C system.

You house is supposed to be sealed. That's what all the insulation is for. Venting past that "Barrier" is not smart; it is like running your A/C with a window open...

Try to move ambient air into the hot area (closet) and hot air out. If possible, add two vents to your closet; one high and one low. If you move enough air, the closet, rack, etc. will only be 4-5 degrees hotter than the ambient air.

I have some pictures of a set up that does this. There is a decent amount of equipment in the closet as you can see.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #9 of 10 Old 08-24-2009, 07:43 PM

Liked: 11
i have a similar situation to the rest of you.... I have a Norco 4020 with 220W of suff running 24/7. an onkyo 605, STB, networking gear and a HTPC in a closet. My closet is in a room and that room get really hot !!!!! even with the doors closed. so I was going to bathroom fan it just like you guys... but i dont want to kill my AC efficiency.

I cannot vent the closet into the hall way, it would look stupid.... so I should put a AC return line in the closet to draw the hot air out?
post #10 of 10 Old 03-10-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwiss View Post

Wow... Some very nice equipment out there!!

When you vent any part of your interior to a part of your house (attic, garage, etc.) that is not climate controlled, you do a huge dis-service to your A/C system.

You house is supposed to be sealed. That's what all the insulation is for. Venting past that "Barrier" is not smart; it is like running your A/C with a window open...

Try to move ambient air into the hot area (closet) and hot air out. If possible, add two vents to your closet; one high and one low. If you move enough air, the closet, rack, etc. will only be 4-5 degrees hotter than the ambient air.

I have some pictures of a set up that does this. There is a decent amount of equipment in the closet as you can see.

What fans are you using and do you have a thermostat as well, do you have pics of the inside of closet where the vents are.

Thanks.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms