any easy way to get HDMI cable through support wall stud? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 01-19-2009, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had a high mounted coaxial wall plate mounted when we built the house (had a 13" tube mounted on the wall), now I need to replace that box with a HDMI cable and wall plate.

So far I have removed the old tv.

Cut 2 new holes at bottom of drywall for the coaxial and HDMI plates.

I found the coaxial cable(coming up from the basement) in newly cut hole and pulled it to make sure it was the same one running up the wall.

Tied a string to the coaxial cable and pulled it down to lower wall. In doing this I noticed it got hung about halfway down the wall like it was trying to get through a cross stud/support stud.

Now my Question is how do I get a HDMI cable up to the top wall plate when I'm sure the hole is only big enough for a coaxial cable to get through?

I will post pictures tonight of the cables and wall

I called a local HT install store and they want 100 bucks an hour and charge 100 bucks for coming out when I know it will only take them about 5 minutes to finish what I started.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-19-2009, 09:47 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 735
You need to drill a bigger hole in the cross support. So you cut an access hole in the drywall put your drill in through the hole. Then patch and paint.

OR, You invest in a long flexible shaft drill bit set up that you can fit in from the HDMI plate hole. It will also require a special drill bit like this one that holds it's self in position.

post #3 of 13 Old 01-19-2009, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

yea, I saw the long flexible drill bits at Lowes for over 40 bucks. I did not want to do that but I guess a drill bit is less than paying for the HT guys to come out and use their bit then charge me 200 bucks for it.

I think I may just find the stud and put a hole in the wall then patch it. I did not want to do this b/c I know my wife will not be happy and our walls will be hard to match.
post #4 of 13 Old 01-19-2009, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Most custom installers avoid using the long drill bits, as they can cause more grief than imaginable.

What if the cable is getting held up on something else?

If you really want to avoid drywall work, you can invest in a 'snake camera', to look up into the wall, though it won't tell you what's on the other side of the stud that you can see, and it won't keep your bit centered in the stud.

How much more work would it be to paint the whole wall, after cutting?

The HDMI connector may fit through the existing hole - wouldn't hurt to try it, although you may lose your easy access if your pull cord breaks or disconnects from the cable. The camera would show you the size of the hole.

I know HD or Lowe's sells the Rigid snake camera - maybe they rent, too, or a plumbing supply store may rent, or maybe another local rental place will have one. Make some calls.

The camera is <$200.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #5 of 13 Old 01-19-2009, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Why switch to HDMI, may I ask? It's supposed to make life easier.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #6 of 13 Old 01-19-2009, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

Why switch to HDMI, may I ask? It's supposed to make life easier.

coaxial is going to DVR box sitting on the dresser, HDMI cable is connecting to back of HDTV that will be mounted on the wall. I'm running the cable up inside the wall so it cannot be seen then running it behind stuff to the dvr box.

I will take a picture tonight to explain better.

Thanks for all the help.
post #7 of 13 Old 01-19-2009, 10:23 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 735
RapidRun connectors is another alternative. The HDMI connection head is mated to the cable after the cable is pulled into position.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-19-2009, 12:36 PM

I would run a few pieces of string or fishing line through the wall before you attempt to pull anything. You can have the one used for pulling and a few back ups... If the string breaks or loosens from the wires, you will be really happy you pulled a few through there first!!!
post #9 of 13 Old 01-19-2009, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

I have fish tape through it right now, just waiting on my HDMI cable form monoprice to come in. I have one but it had that little cylinder thing on the end of it and I ordered some flat in wall HDMI cable
post #10 of 13 Old 01-19-2009, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinfire View Post

coaxial is going to DVR box sitting on the dresser, HDMI cable is connecting to back of HDTV that will be mounted on the wall. I'm running the cable up inside the wall so it cannot be seen then running it behind stuff to the dvr box.

I will take a picture tonight to explain better.

Thanks for all the help.

Have you tested the DVR HDMI output to your TV? Some report that their DVR box does not work properly through HDMI and instead rely on component video cables instead.

Mike
post #11 of 13 Old 01-20-2009, 06:48 AM

the rapidrun wire/connector idea sounds like a good idea. if anything will reduce size of hole needed thru stud. i would not drill down in the wall site unseen. too unpredictable at best and dangerous at worst. if were me, i'd open up a small square hole with my keyhole saw and then increase as necessary to take care of the necessary task. keep it rectangular to make patching easier (know how to make a blow-out patch with a piece of new drywall?). understand the wife issue, so i'd let her choose between seeing exposed cable or opening up the wall.
post #12 of 13 Old 01-23-2009, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

finished!!!

I finally got the HDMI through the wall, I like the way it turned out.

Huge improvement over the 13" tube tv we had mounted up there.

post #13 of 13 Old 12-21-2012, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Bringing an old thread back to life - did you ever discover what the HDMI was getting hung up on inside the wall?
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms