Spartan94's new Bar & Theater Build Thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 143 Old 01-24-2011, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
"Now, about this floor drain -- I have no idea where it goes, but am fairly certain that it does *not* go to my sump crock, which I believe to be a good thing. It looks like it may head to my soil stack. However, the thing that has me concerned is that there is always air coming from the drain -- like a solid stream of air. The air has a very slight musty smell, but nothing bad. On occasion, the air gets a terrible smell to it and when it does, I pour a few gallons of water down it and that takes care of it. I've been told that my traps could be drying out once in a while, although there is no basis for that claim."

In order for air to be coming out of the drain the traps necessarily cannot be sealed. (A trap full of water does not allow sewer gas or air through it) Very possible you have a stormwater system there and you are going into that.

Try this open a cleanout in the soil stack and get the wife to run a garden hose through the drain in question. If you can tell water is flowing through the drains leading to the sewer go ahead and drain to that trap. However do not directly tie down into the drain you need an air gap. End the pipe a couple of inches above floor level and allow it do dump into that (This is how most commercial kitchens are done) To get a little closer and avoid splashing cut the end of the pipe at an angle and let the tip come very close to floor height. Do not use a trap coming off your sink in this instance, just a straight pipe.

Now with the new bar sink tied to the drain the traps drying out will no longer be an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 143 Old 01-25-2011, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intricate1 View Post

In order for air to be coming out of the drain the traps necessarily cannot be sealed. (A trap full of water does not allow sewer gas or air through it) Very possible you have a stormwater system there and you are going into that.

Try this open a cleanout in the soil stack and get the wife to run a garden hose through the drain in question. If you can tell water is flowing through the drains leading to the sewer go ahead and drain to that trap. However do not directly tie down into the drain you need an air gap. End the pipe a couple of inches above floor level and allow it do dump into that (This is how most commercial kitchens are done) To get a little closer and avoid splashing cut the end of the pipe at an angle and let the tip come very close to floor height. Do not use a trap coming off your sink in this instance, just a straight pipe.

Now with the new bar sink tied to the drain the traps drying out will no longer be an issue.

After doing a bunch more reading last night and a few more tests, I do suspect that my floor drains are tied to my sump. I can't imagine that both the floor drains and the sump would have a steady draft of air coming thru them if they weren't connected. Also, I discovered that my floor drains have what they call "Bell Traps" in them like so: I had no idea that there was even supposed to be water in those things!

Thank you for the soil stack idea -- I do have a cleanout on the stack, and also another one in my basement floor. Getting a hose down there will be tough though -- maybe I can get away with a number of 5 gallon buckets!
post #123 of 143 Old 01-25-2011, 12:52 PM

The condensation drain for my furnace runs to my sump crock...I'll bet yours does too. Not sure where you are looking to put your kitchenette, but what I did was set up a system where I will use a pump to push the water to the main drain stack. I was able to run my sink drain pipe up a wall cavity and through a ceiling joist to the main stack before I put up dry wall. The pump only has to eject the water up 6 feet or so through the pipe in the wall cavity to the ceiling joist run and from there it is all gravity fed to the main drain stack. It looks like you have ceiling access to do this, but not sure how the wall access will work out for you.
post #124 of 143 Old 01-25-2011, 03:18 PM

yeah bell traps are not the norm.. but useful at times. They have a lower flow rate in general than regular traps. Usually they are used where height is an issue. They also let less debris down the drain then other traps.

Anyway it should be a simple matter to determine if the water flows into the sump.. or the sewer.

A bar sump or pump system as was mentioned is a possibility. If you do go that route get the biggest tank you can fit. The larger the tank the less on and off cycles the pump goes through. The on and off cycle is the hardest thing on the pump.
post #125 of 143 Old 01-25-2011, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Here's a pic of the basement layout with drains and cleanouts identified.

While the wall in the sump pump room is not finished and I could run a drain pipe up thru there, to get it over to the soil stack would be a significant undertaking. It would have to cross finished ceiling and ductwork, and cross the entire basement. Ugh.

chpwaman -- Where are you located at? I'm in DeWitt.
post #126 of 143 Old 01-26-2011, 05:20 PM

Spartan 94 glad to see you back and improving the theater I have no idea about drains but I have a question for you. I've decided to make my second row of seating a bar also and thought you might have some advice on things you'd do different or improve and do you still enjoy the bar as your second row.
Thanks
post #127 of 143 Old 01-26-2011, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Hands View Post

Spartan 94 glad to see you back and improving the theater I have no idea about drains but I have a question for you. I've decided to make my second row of seating a bar also and thought you might have some advice on things you'd do different or improve and do you still enjoy the bar as your second row.
Thanks

Thanks -- it's good to be back!

As for the bar I built, there are a couple of things. In no particular order:

The surface: I used 12"x12" granite tiles and absolutely love how they turned out. However, the surface under the tiles was probably way overkill. If memory serves me right, I used 5/8" particle under hardibacker board screwed in every 4 (or 6?) inches. The problem with this is that the screws popped out the bottom of the particleboard and I had to go back and add pine 1/4"s underneath the bar so that people wouldn't get there legs stabbed by screws! Another nice thing about using the 12x12 granite tiles is that I didn't have to cut any of them. Big bonus there!

There is a natural "bend" in the bar right at the middle leg and for whatever reason, I can't keep the grout from cracking. It's barely noticable since the grout is dark and the line is thin, but I notice it. I worry that it will crack out someday. I've redone that seam by digging it out and redoing just that grout line, but based on how I built it, I don' think there is anything I can do prevent it from happening in the future.

Lets see, what else -- the height and length and depth (42" by 10'6" by 24" + 4 for the top) is perfect for 4 sitters and you can squeeze a couple of standers in on the ends. I am glad I put in the electrical outlets on the top of the bar, even though they are not hot yet. I still need to run new electric over for the bar and my a/v components. I will do that when I get going on the kitchenette.

And yes, we use it quite a bit. The latest thing we are doing is host "Man Movie Night" where all of the men that I work with come over and watch something that our wives would refuse to watch. Last week it was "Machete". (Awesome flick, btw). I was able to squeeze in 14 people comfortably down there. Otherwise, we will sometimes take our dinner down there and watch something -- which helps in that the kids don't have grubby hands and fingers and food on the fancy chairs.

I think that's about it. If you have any further or more detailed questions, drop me a line!
post #128 of 143 Old 01-26-2011, 07:27 PM

Spartan find out where those drains go. Another way to tell if they are draining to the sump is a quart of colored water (you get colored water in the sump you know they go there)

Also do you know if the sump drains to the outside it may tie back into the sewer system itself. If the sump goes to the sewer you can seal the pit and use it.
post #129 of 143 Old 01-27-2011, 06:50 AM

Quote:

chpwaman -- Where are you located at? I'm in DeWitt.

I live in the "D" too...DeWitt that is
post #130 of 143 Old 05-19-2011, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter

*bump* to keep this out of archive. I hope to build a kitchenette this winter, and want to write about it here!
post #131 of 143 Old 05-22-2011, 06:05 PM

Thats a great setup!
post #132 of 143 Old 05-24-2011, 06:58 AM

Question re your laminate floor setup: You've got the laminate over delta flooring/landscape fabric. How is that working out- is floor too bouncy , ok?
THx
RT
post #133 of 143 Old 05-24-2011, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthompson10 View Post

Question re your laminate floor setup: You've got the laminate over delta flooring/landscape fabric. How is that working out- is floor too bouncy , ok?
THx
RT

For 95% of the floor I'd say it worked out very, very well - but there are 2 places that have a small "bounce" and a squeak when walked on. Someday, when I feel motivated, I want to redo all of the trimwork to match the bar & when I do I will put down 1/4 round on top of the laminate. I think that should be enough to hold it down and prevent the squeak. Fortunately, both squeaky places are right near the wall, and only one ever gets any sort of traffic on it.

All in all, I am very pleased with it.
post #134 of 143 Old 09-08-2011, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

*Another bump* to keep this out of archive. I hope to build a kitchenette this winter, and want to write about it here!

It's getting cold out and I'm starting to think about the basement again....
post #135 of 143 Old 11-08-2011, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

post #136 of 143 Old 01-08-2012, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

At long last, phase 3 begins -- the wet bar! Here is the obligatory sketchup:

My wife and I are sick of putting snacks and crockpots and drinks on flimsy card tables (and carting everything upstairs afterwards) -- so there is the plan.

A pantry on the left will house the electronics (with additional side access via the furnace room), lots of cabinets and outlets, a recessed microwave, a small bar sink, and a beer tap. There will be a mini fridge under the end of the countertop on the right side to hold the keg.
post #137 of 143 Old 01-08-2012, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

We put paper drywall tape up on the walls to show where the cabinets will be going, and I've started to run the wiring for the sconces and the dimmer switches:

Here is a glimpse of what is going on behind the "portable" media cabinet, and where the permanent one will go:

post #138 of 143 Old 01-18-2012, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

All the wiring is done now -- just have to tie it into the breaker box.

Next up, plumbing! That will certainly be an adventure. I am thinking about Teeing off of the copper and running pex supply lines. It just seems easier that way. I figure I'll need about 25' of both red & blue plus various 90 degree turns & valves to make it there.

This weekend I have to take my son to a hockey tournament in Alpena, so there won't be any work done. I hope to get started quickly after we return...
post #139 of 143 Old 01-20-2012, 05:23 AM

I am loving what I have seen thus far. I am a new poster (but longtime lurker) on the board, and I have been slowly convincing my wife to allow me free reign on my own basement. Granted, I do not have the types of funds that any of you on here enjoy, but my modest set-up is good for me.

By the way, GO GREEN!!! I am a fellow Spartan as well (class of '99), and am exploring the green and white motif for my own basement/bar area.
post #140 of 143 Old 01-28-2012, 02:07 PM

Great work here. I'm hoping to use your outline for constructing my own bar behind the sofa. Thanks!
post #141 of 143 Old 01-29-2012, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it!

My wife and I have decided to go with a dry bar instead of a wet bar. Just too many questions surrounding how to get water over to the sink area, and where to run the drain to. Even though it was just a bar sink, draining into the sump crock didn't feel right, and we had concerns about smell and overflow (especially when my kids would be down there unsupervised).

So, I've redone the plans, and will be purchasing the cabinets on Tuesday. Gonna see if I can get he basement in good enough shape for the Superbowl!!
post #142 of 143 Old 01-30-2012, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

post #143 of 143 Old 02-06-2012, 02:36 PM

Looks great. As soon as I can figure out a way to post pics, I will share some photos of my humble little Spartan Game/Media room.

It is nothing fancy, but I am proud of it.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page