Old 08-18-2009, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by quentinwolf View Post

Thanks for the extremely quick replies Eric and Splicer!

I know that its not a UPS. If it were, it would weigh a fair bit more for what its power ratings are.

Narrow seems to be better for regular power, and Wide for when there's a storm brewing... Too bad there wasn't a variable option, that depending on the incoming voltage, it would automatically select the best option... The further the voltages go, the less accurate the voltage corrections are... Instead of the 5%, 10% and 15% options.

I'm still torn on what to keep mine at. Especially because of the voltage range of Narrow. We don't get storms too often, but when we do, they are usually pretty bad.

So running at Narrow, if the voltage spiked up to 140 volts, it would power down. Yet running on Wide (which can buck the voltage down with a maximum input of 145) would keep on trucking.
Same goes for Boosting, if the voltage dropped to 95 volts, The Narrow setting only allows down to 102 volts so at 95 volts it would power everything off, yet wide allows down to 92 volts...

Erics response seems to make more sense... If the Incoming voltage is out of the selected settings range, it'll shut down.

If the unit bucks and boosts the voltage regardless of what its at, it probably wouldn't have the Wide/Normal/Narrow options. That's mainly what I was curious about.

Thats correct, it will boost or trim within the operating range set. I believe the purpose of the narrow/normal/wide range is more of a user preference, comfort zone so to speak. I leave mine on normal. I'm not sure if it uses 120v as a reference point for the trim or boost. There must be a +/- factor in there. You could always e-mail tech support for a more in depth answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2009, 03:39 PM

You can also get many answers from the APC forum

http://www.apc-forums.com/index.jspa
Old 08-18-2009, 03:46 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric-t View Post

The unit will shut down if it goes out of the range you have set according to APC and turn back on automatically when it's back in range.

That is incorrect...The unit only shuts down when there is no power...This is the reason for the Automatic Voltage Regulation that kicks in only if the voltage is above or below the specified level...I have this unit and this is how it works...
Old 08-18-2009, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

I have and highly recommend the H15...To answer your question the H15 has automatic voltage regulation...In other words if power drops below a set value the H15 will raise the voltage back (instantly I might add) to within the predetermined operating values...The same is true for over voltage in that the H15 will lower the voltage (again, instantly) to the predetermined voltage parameters...

If the power goes out the H15 also goes out since it is not a UPS...This is the only time I am aware that the H15 shuts down...The big selling point for me was the fact that unlike the monster the H15 does not shut down but instead instantly corrects any fault...

We had some serious storms here a few weeks ago where we had LOTS of lightening and power surges...I lost track after the first 15 surges...My electronics connected had no problems...The H15 regulated everything and protected everything like it was supposed to and I am a firm believer now in this equipment...2 years ago using a cheap surge protector I lost a valuable amplifier AND subwoofer from ONE lightening strike and the resulting surge...

The best (and recommended method IIRC) setting is to keep the unit set to 'Narrow'... These are great units and one of the only UL tested and passed power conditioners on the market...
Either you misunderstood or the person you talked to didn't know what they were talking about...If the power goes out of range (and yes this includes your H10) the unit will raise/lower the power to the predetermined value automatically...If power were to go out completely then of course the unit will shut down and not turn back on until there is power...But as you can see these are two different situations...

That is incorrect. The H10/15 will only boost within the set perimeters narrow, normal and wide. If the unit drops below or rises above the perimeter you set the unit to it will shut down. I did notice on my occurrence that the boost light illuminated for a second then the unit shut down. That is because since I have mine set on "normal" the unit went below 97v of incoming power and will stop boosting after that and just the same if i had a surge above 139v the unit will no longer trim and shut down.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is incorrect...The unit only shuts down when there is no power...This is the reason for the Automatic Voltage Regulation that kicks in only if the voltage is above or below the specified level...I have this unit and this is how it works...

You are wrong. This is straight out of the user manual.
Input Voltage Range for Operation
(on utility)
92V - 145V If you have power and it's above or below this range the unit WILL SHUT DOWN.

The user manual is very vague regarding what the unit does outside of you're set perimeters narrow, normal and wide. Call APC and they will explain this to you if you don't believe me.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentinwolf View Post

Erics response seems to make more sense... If the Incoming voltage is out of the selected settings range, it'll shut down.

If the unit bucks and boosts the voltage regardless of what its at, it probably wouldn't have the Wide/Normal/Narrow options. That's mainly what I was curious about.

The Unit will trim and/or boost the voltage based on what you have it set to be it Wide Normal or Narrow ranges...All those do is kicks in either the trim or the boost based on the voltage range selected...At least this is my experience with mine...I live in a newer neighborhood and have tried the unit set on Wide for instance...At this setting the power has to drop much lower than when on Narrow before the boost is activated...I don't want my equipment to see that kind of swing so I keep it on Narrow even when it storms and my voltage varies only a few volts either way of 120...And isn't that really the purpose of having AVR in a conditioner???
Old 08-18-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric-t View Post

You are wrong. This is straight out of the user manual.
Input Voltage Range for Operation
(on utility)
92V - 145V If you have power and it's above or below this range the unit WILL SHUT DOWN.

The user manual is very vague regarding what the unit does outside of you're set perimeters narrow, normal and wide. Call APC and they will explain this to you if you don't believe me.

Obviously you and I are discussing two different things...Basic common sense will tell you that anything electrical has a minimal operating voltage...If you only have 92v coming in it is most likely your TV or stereo won't operate either...I just got off the phone to APC and they have confirmed exactly what I have stated here...
Old 08-18-2009, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Unit will trim and/or boost the voltage based on what you have it set to be it Wide Normal or Narrow ranges...All those do is kicks in either the trim or the boost based on the voltage range selected...At least this is my experience with mine...I live in a newer neighborhood and have tried the unit set on Wide for instance...At this setting the power has to drop much lower than when on Narrow before the boost is activated...I don't want my equipment to see that kind of swing so I keep it on Narrow even when it storms and my voltage varies only a few volts either way of 120...And isn't that really the purpose of having AVR in a conditioner???

This is what I was trying to say. You are correct in the quote above. But in you're other post you said it only shuts down if no power is present. That is incorrect. In fact I had the perfect example last week when mine shut down but I never lost power. The slight flicker I had was enough of a power loss to go below my "normal" setting and shut the unit down.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

• Narrow AVR Range: 102-132 Volts, AVR works within the 102/132 range and the unit will shut off if it goes below 102 or above 132
Regulates to: 120 Volts + 5%

• Normal AVR Range: 97-139 Volts, AVR works within the 97/139 range and the unit will shut off if it goes below 97 or above 139
Regulates to: 120 Volts + 10%

• Wide AVR Range: 92-145 Volts, AVR works within the 92/145 range and the unit will shut off if it goes below 92 or above 145
Regulates to: 120 Volts + 15%

This is what APC tech told me. I guess what I'm trying to say is if they designed the AVR to kick in at the low and high points of the ranges then what is the purpose of the three ranges?
Old 08-18-2009, 06:02 PM

I'm sure we were just misunderstanding each other...Its all good in the end...

A power flicker IS a loss of power...Albeit a momentary loss but I digress...That is why it flickers...In this case your unit shut down from the loss of power, as I am sure everything else did, momentarily, and then fired right back up...Then you had to go and reset all your clocks again...
Old 08-18-2009, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm sure we were just misunderstanding each other...Its all good in the end...

A power flicker IS a loss of power...Albeit a momentary loss but I digress...That is why it flickers...In this case your unit shut down from the loss of power, as I am sure everything else did, momentarily, and then fired right back up...Then you had to go and reset all your clocks again...

Thats the thing nothing shut off not even one clock in the house but it was a quick flicker enough to shut the H10 off but not the lights or clocks.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:32 AM

So I got my H15 the other day. I did the install last night and was unable to get my Time Warner HD cable box (Explorer 8300) to operate via the coax in/outs on the H15. All I was getting was basic cable channels, and poor quality at that...

Question; Is this because I was using the designated 'CATV/Modem' in-out and not the 'SAT/antenna' in-outs? IIRC, the "splitter" on the H15 is not two-way... how about the 'Sat/antenna' in-out?

Has anyone else had similar experiences specif to the Explorer 8300, or similar HD boxes? Were you able to get it to work or did you bypass the coax in-outs all together?

thanks,
Old 08-19-2009, 11:39 AM

First off the Cable/Modem jacks ARE 2 way...at least according to the info in the tech specs section of the manual...and to the best of my knowledge...The splitter function has a rather high signal insertion loss at 6-8dB loss PER LEG...You aparently had low input signals to begin with which is why you only get snowy basic channels now OR you cnnected something wrong either on the H15 or the 8300...

Another indication that the H15 is indeed 'two-way' is the fact that the splitter is designed to run 1 leg for video and the other leg for data...This corresponds with the published tech spec of passing 5MHz-1000MHz (1Gig)...Since modems operate on the reverse path of the frequency spectrum (below 50MHz) there is no other explanation for the panel jack labeling or the published specs...

Myself I use the cable modem jacks as follows...Only the part about the pre-amp will likely be of any use to you...

I have my OTA rooftop antenna connected to a +15dB pre-amp...This is what you may need depending on your wiring andsignal...The 6-8dB loss thru the H15 is made back up by pre-amp and leaves you with a 7dB (approx) output which is a very healthy and respectable power level for solid reception...

The output of the pre-amp goes to the input of the H15...Then one leg goes to my FM tuner and the other leg goes to my HD OTA STB...I also use the SAT/ANT labeled input for my cable...Cable in to H15 in and out directly to TV (no cable box is used)...No pre-amp is used for the SAT/ANT input...

You can get the exact same pre-amp I have for a reasonable price here (looks like the price went up a couple of dollars):
http://www.buy.com/retail/usersearch...me&display=col

There was a time when the quality of the RF 75ohm jacks were of questionable quality but that has pretty much been rectified today when using quality equipment like APC H15...However some one earlier in the thread, 55s or something like that just by passed his because he had issues...I would love to be of more help but I don't have any problems using mine the way it is designed for the way I want to use it and seriously doubt I will have any issues should I need to run my modem thru the H15...

Hope this helps someone...
Old 08-19-2009, 11:44 AM

Splicer010, many thanks man. Great info.

Quote:

You can get the exact same pre-amp I have for a reasonable price here (looks like the price went up a couple of dollars):
http://www.buy.com/retail/usersearch...me&display=col

I happen to have that same unit, It didnt do much for my cable signal in the past that I could tell anyway... Ill break it out and give it a try again with the H15 and see what happens. thnx again!
Old 08-19-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbono45 View Post

Splicer010, many thanks man. Great info.
I happen to have that same unit, It didnt do much for my cable signal in the past that I could tell anyway... Ill break it out and give it a try again with the H15 and see what happens. thnx again!

The pre amp won't help if you have poor signal to begin with...You kow what they say...Crap in crap out...But then again if you had adequate signal to begin with then the pre amp wouldn't make any noticeable change...Absolutely try it out as I instructed above...
Old 08-19-2009, 02:28 PM

Newegg.com has the APC H15 (silver, of course) on sale right now for $99 with Free Shipping. Hope this is the right forum to post this in.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:45 AM

Just ordered an APC H15 from Tiger Direct's EBay Store for $99. I also got 10% Bing Cash Back, 2% EBay Bucks, and Free Shipping. Total will end up about $89.10 and $2 EBay Bucks to spend on a future EBay purchase. Seems like they have plenty of stock. I think it said close to 180 units available with limit 2 per buyer, but not exactly sure.

I was bummed about missing the New Egg deal, but glad my diligent searching paid off as the New Egg Deal would've only been about $93 after Cash Back.

XBox Live Gamertag: Vash615

Boomer Sooner!!!
Old 08-21-2009, 11:55 AM

Fantastic deal on one of the finest power conditioners available...Congrats man...
Old 08-21-2009, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My electric bill has seen a significant rise in the passed two months. I was curious if the APC H15 consumes a lot of power itself even if the devices that are plugged into it are off. Should I actually be hitting the main power switch when not in use? It could also be the fact that I have been using my home theater a lot more, but I dunno. My viewing habits haven't changed too much.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:03 PM

I leave mine on 24/7...Don't forget that even though yo turn things off like your AVR or TV or HD DVD or Blu-ray player that they are in standby mode so they are still drawing power...The unit itself consumes VERY little power though...
Old 08-21-2009, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
That's what I was hoping. The rise must be due to my increased viewing. I'm doing much than I thought I was, apparently.

Quote:

I leave mine on 24/7...Don't forget that even though yo turn things off like your AVR or TV or HD DVD or Blu-ray player that they are in standby mode so they are still drawing power...The unit itself consumes VERY little power though...

Old 08-23-2009, 04:10 PM

okay now tiger direct had it for $99 - off to home depot 2 get paint supplies
Old 08-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I missed the tigerdirect deal at ebay.... I have been watching it for so many days. One day, I am out and this deal comes.

Looks like they had 225 and sold out in couple of hrs.

Manoj
Old 08-25-2009, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

Okay people, overstock has it for $69 + $3 shipping. Get it fast before its gone.

Manoj
Old 08-25-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adude View Post

Okay people, overstock has it for $69 + $3 shipping. Get it fast before its gone.

HOLY COW!!! that is a fantastic deal!!! Sure hope they honor it...If I was looking I would buy 2 or 3...
Old 08-26-2009, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
MISSED IT! Already sold out. DANGIT! If anyone know of another great deal on this let me know as I need one asap.

| XBOX360 - headshotwi | PS3 - headshotwi |
| Klipsch RF-82, RS-62, RC-64 | HSU ULS-15 DualDrive | Onkyo PR-SC5507P| Panasonic TC-P65V10 | Emotiva XPA-5 & UPA-2 |
Old 08-26-2009, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
somehow managed to get one from tiger direct for 149 +17 shipping. within an hour it is at 199.99 on tigerdirect now.

| XBOX360 - headshotwi | PS3 - headshotwi |
| Klipsch RF-82, RS-62, RC-64 | HSU ULS-15 DualDrive | Onkyo PR-SC5507P| Panasonic TC-P65V10 | Emotiva XPA-5 & UPA-2 |
Old 08-26-2009, 02:47 PM

Still worth it though and I think is a nice deal...Not as nice as $69 but still...
Old 08-26-2009, 11:18 PM
Advanced Member

Well, I placed an order and then posted here and slickdeals. Turns out, people who placed orders after me were shipped and I got the cancellation email. Offcourse many others got the cancellation too, but some were able to go through.

Now, I am back to looking for H15 deal. But I wont pay more than 100 shipped. Boy, I feel lucky...

Manoj
Old 08-29-2009, 08:04 AM

Overstock ran out by the time my wife approved the purchase, hehe. Was that an H15 or H10? Instead I purchased an H10 from TigerDirect's eBay store for $79.99 including free shipping.

In case it helps anyone, according to the H10 I'm using 20% of the H10's capacity when I have all of these turned on and the manufacturer's max wattage rating (total of 910+ Watts).

Samsung LN52A650 (290 Watts)
Sony BDV-E500W Home Theater In A Box (120 Watts)
Comcast Motorola DVR (500 Watts)
Nintendo Wii (? Watts)